Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Elden Ring

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I don't think I've heard anyone who would debate that. I'd go as far as to put it above breath of the wild. Harder for me is ranking it among other souls games.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    We got a patch.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    I know this might sound hyperbolic but I’m feeling this game could go down as one of the greatest games of all time and I’m only halfway through the game. Just so good so far. Using godrick’s axe at plus 5.
    Indeed, but one that's so big I would never want to play again

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I'm dying hahahaaa (Sorry for double post)

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I have completed Elden Ring. Like really completed, like all the things. 130 hours. Age of Stars Ending.

- Elden Ring is one of the greatest games of all time. I would say it is better than Breath of the Wild, by being better at all of the things Breath of the Wild is bad at and worse at none of it.

-elden ring becomes a bit tiring towards the end of you binge it in it's entirety for a week and a half. Shocking.

-gamers will debate forever about where this game ranks among from games. There's a great case to put it at the top, but I would still say, in my heart, I love Dark Souls and Bloodborne more. Maybe because they came first, finally taking the Castlevania formula to 3d in an enjoyable way.

- the Boss fights in Elden Ring, while broadly great, don't hold up to those of any other game from has made. I will chalk this up to Elden Ring's summon system, which I imagine will remain it's most controversial feature. Essentially I think she of these bosses were made with that system in mind, based on their aggressiveness against the general pacing of combat, but having other targets on the battlefield in my opinion undermines the tension of those fights. About 2/3 of the way in I opted to stop using them, but in a few cases found that I just had to use them. I haven't gotten gud I guess.

- definitely the most accessible from game and so maybe that will leave it high in the collective hive mind than it's forebears. I've talked to a lot of people who are playing this who wouldn't touch the others, and I can see why. It does manage to sometimes be the easiest and sometimes be the hardest of their games. It is never nearly as challenging as Sekiro, though.

-just a great aesthetic design. This could have been bland fantasy faire. It isn't. It's dripping with lore and detail. It is a dense game, without any wasted space.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    ^^^ Pretty much sums up how I feel as well. I stopped using the ashes myself after seeing how easy the bosses were; I wasn't getting that accomplished YES after falling them solo, even though there are some bosses that are hard as hell, even with summons like Mimic Tear and Black Knife Tiche.

Still not done, I'd say I'm about 75% complete with everything and just went out of my way to meet Mohg... What an asshole.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I have completed Elden Ring. Like really completed, like all the things. 130 hours. Age of Stars Ending.

- Elden Ring is one of the greatest games of all time. I would say it is better than Breath of the Wild, by being better at all of the things Breath of the Wild is bad at and worse at none of it.

-elden ring becomes a bit tiring towards the end of you binge it in it's entirety for a week and a half. Shocking.

-gamers will debate forever about where this game ranks among from games. There's a great case to put it at the top, but I would still say, in my heart, I love Dark Souls and Bloodborne more. Maybe because they came first, finally taking the Castlevania formula to 3d in an enjoyable way.

- the Boss fights in Elden Ring, while broadly great, don't hold up to those of any other game from has made. I will chalk this up to Elden Ring's summon system, which I imagine will remain it's most controversial feature. Essentially I think she of these bosses were made with that system in mind, based on their aggressiveness against the general pacing of combat, but having other targets on the battlefield in my opinion undermines the tension of those fights. About 2/3 of the way in I opted to stop using them, but in a few cases found that I just had to use them. I haven't gotten gud I guess.

- definitely the most accessible from game and so maybe that will leave it high in the collective hive mind than it's forebears. I've talked to a lot of people who are playing this who wouldn't touch the others, and I can see why. It does manage to sometimes be the easiest and sometimes be the hardest of their games. It is never nearly as challenging as Sekiro, though.

-just a great aesthetic design. This could have been bland fantasy faire. It isn't. It's dripping with lore and detail. It is a dense game, without any wasted space.
    Did you beat M yet? I can't do it...

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Did you beat M yet? I can't do it...
    I beat so many Ms

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I beat so many Ms
    Hah!

Malenia.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Hah!

Malenia.
    Yes I beat Male is and I helped some people in co-op. This is what I did.

Mimic Tear +10 and I have a sorcery build.

The first thing to do is you to get Malenis into the starting area, essentially switching positions with her so she is cornered. Once she loses her range of motion she becomes much easier.

I just basically spammed rock sling which isnt really the strongest spell damage wise but it significantly affects her poise so she will stagger a lot. Another option is glintblade, you can just cast a bunch of those before they fire off and draw her aggro. Just don't let her stay close to you for long because she will eat your stamina and kill you.

In the second phase she always opens with that dive flower attack, in this case I used the physical that give you unlimited for and the one that boosts sorcery, and after she landed I just held down azurs comet, that takes off like 50 percent of her health before she gets up. Then you want to stop attacking to give the year a chance to draw aggro.

For me a big breakthrough came when I allocated a few more flask charges to health than to fp, not for me but for the mimic Tear, so she lived long enough.

In that second phase I think I was still basically doing rock sling. The thing about rock sling is it has pretty good range and almost never completely missed.

The one second phase attack you really gotta watch out for is the one with the flower clones. What I will say is that if you have a 100 damage negation shield, damage won't bleed through during this fight, except the giant flower so if you are having trouble timing against her clones the shield might be an option for you

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I'm taking my sweet time with this game (currently around 115 hours in at level 84) and trying to explore every nook & cranny and get all the items I can find. The only From Software game I've beaten prior to this is Dark Souls III, which I thoroughly enjoyed (it was a perfect game to dive into with a group of friends during the winter months of late 2020/early 2021), but in my opinion, Elden Ring improves on just about every aspect of DS3. I played Bloodborne up until the part in Old Yharnam where that guy is shooting a gattling gun from the top of a castle. I tried so many times to get through that part of the game, but by the time I made it up to where he is, he always beat me and I finally gave up and parted ways with that game. I picked up Demon's Souls a few months ago, but didn't get too far in that game before getting sucked into Far Cry 6 and then Elden Ring came out (and now that's the only thing I want to play). So I guess take my thoughts as the opinion of someone who's a little more of a noob to this series, as I have yet to really "git gud."

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I have had too much bullshit in my world to really dive into this or play any games at all, but I gotta say I'm a little sad I'll never get to try out the pre-nerf boss fights at this point. I just wanna try em.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I have had too much bullshit in my world to really dive into this or play any games at all, but I gotta say I'm a little sad I'll never get to try out the pre-nerf boss fights at this point. I just wanna try em.
    As far as I know they only nerfed one big one, so I don't think you're missing much.

Finally beat this tonight, I never want to play it again lol (unlike a remastered Bloodborne)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    That stinks man... Hope you get some time soon to play. The one boss they nerfed didn't even need to be imo, but you'll still have a blast.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    OK... So the very last boss is extremely odd and disappointing. This is one of the only "What the fuck were they thinking" moments in the game for me so far.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Been waiting on this video. I’m still very confused as for every fromstop game. Any-who have fun trying to decipher the lore
    Last edited by Rdm; 04-09-2022 at 12:29 AM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    ^^^ Literally just came here to post this. I'm a sucker for lore, I read almost every armor piece (that looked really cool) and a bunch of other stuff, so I wasn't that lost, but there were a lot of pieces it helped put together.

Going to keep up with this channel like with Destiny and My Name is Byf; incredible lore channel for the Destiny universe. But damn, is this one of From Software's best stories!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    ^^^ Literally just came here to post this. I'm a sucker for lore, I read almost every armor piece (that looked really cool) and a bunch of other stuff, so I wasn't that lost, but there were a lot of pieces it helped put together.

Going to keep up with this channel like with Destiny and My Name is Byf; incredible lore channel for the Destiny universe. But damn, is this one of From Software's best stories!
    Damn I’m going to need the lore for dummies guide because even this video doesn’t help

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    Damn I’m going to need the lore for dummies guide because even this video doesn’t help
    I won't act like it was easy hahaa, it took me a little bit to understand what was going on, along with writing some lore down...that also entails reading said armor pieces multiple times and listening to A LOT of what Gideon and Turtle Pope said as well.

Doesn't help that every characters name starts with "G", "R", or "M" which was apparently a coincidence halfway through naming them

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Started a NG+ to finish some of the trophies I missed, but it is hard to not want to do some stuff over again, especially a few side quests I missed. I think I'll move on though, but damn I did not want this to end! Time to explore some more Fromsoftware games I missed out on.

Edit: Just got the platinum last night. Officially 100% done with Elden Ring; what a ride.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 05-09-2022 at 04:29 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    oh my god

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    oh my god
    That's so strange because I've often been reminded of Super Mario World when panning around the map! It didn't occur to me until now that they match up so well.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    These numbers are pretty huge for a game that was projected to only sell around 4M copies by this time. Fastest sales out of a Japan studio not named Nintendo; Wow...

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Take note, other studios! THIS is how you make a good game that players will continue to play for a long time!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)