Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Miley Cyrus covers NIN for upcoming Black Mirror episode (spoilers)

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    I still haven't gotten around to watching the episode, but I put On a Roll on my ipod last night and I think I'm addicted even without the context. Oh, honey. This is truly fucking ace lol.
    I swear, I’m at least a third of the Spotify plays.

Watch the episode!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    This is amazing. This is better than Strobelight.
    Let's not get carried away, here.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    I just joined the one you shared the cover photo of Miley for on twitter. I wanna see what you guys are doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wanna see! What group is it?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I wanna see! What group is it?
    I think you quit it because of how bad it is lol

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss k bee View Post
    Haven’t watched Black Mirror since it left Channel 4, but watched this episode now I have Netflix. It was ok, but just makes me want to crave PHM even more
    Check out the rest too!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Oh shit so she really doing 'I'm on a Roll' oh and HLAH at Glastonbury

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Someone saved it, right?

edit: Is https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7c84bs the same?

(I notice that the youtube thumbnail doesn't have the text.)
    Last edited by Shit Mirror; 06-30-2019 at 11:51 PM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    love me some miley! most of the vids on youtube are blocked in the US. bastards! evidently nick cave came out with kylie minogue for "where the red roses grow". would love
    to see that.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    I hate this girl, anyway I just wanted to point out that this youtube is blocked all over the world.
    I backuped the dailymotion
    Last edited by ninjaw; 07-01-2019 at 03:25 AM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    I hate this girl, anyway I just wanted to point out that this youtube is blocked all over the world.
    I backuped the dailymotion
    i was bummed i couldn't watch the cure set

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    The whole thing is on BBC iPlayer so that will be preserved and circulated.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Five remixes of On A Roll have popped up on the official Ashley O account. We live in a strange world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    By account, I assume you mean topic.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChxf2Kp-WRtPghP6dBUTvlg

I'm disappointed the 5 remixes aren't Clay, Copper, Opal, Slate, Soil
    Last edited by Shit Mirror; 08-24-2019 at 01:05 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shit Mirror View Post
    By account, I assume you mean topic.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChxf2Kp-WRtPghP6dBUTvlg
    Thanks for the link. Pity they're all garbage.

I'm a little disappointed that the 'Ashley Fuckin O' version just repeats the first verse twice. I hope we get a full version along with some creative industrial remixes.

It would also be fucking hilarious (and awesome) if NIN produced a remix.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I really like the Junior Vasquez mix, throwback 90s house vibes.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I really like the Junior Vasquez mix, throwback 90s house vibes.
    ooh. i do, too. thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I love all of this!

DJs remixing 'On A Roll' performed by Ashley O who is a remix of Miley Cyrus; meanwhile 'On A Roll' is another version of NINs HLAH. ART IS RESISTANCE!

Miley Cyrus deserves and has earned this right, I've always seen the talent and creativeness in her; I hate people who truly believe that all pop artists suck. Biebs, Miley and a few others are okay in my books.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    DJs remixing 'On A Roll' performed by Ashley O who is a remix of Miley Cyrus; meanwhile 'On A Roll' is another version of NINs HLAH. ART IS RESISTANCE!
    Isn't the entire point of On A Roll to be submissively giving up control to oppressive management and having your creativity eaten by the machine? Kinda the opposite of both 'art' and 'resistance' (until the end).

The episode paints a fairly negative (if cartoonish) picture of the manufactured music industry. It's not that pop artists suck, it's that most of them are just singers who have attractive faces and have no real talent outside that. They have board-room production teams that tell them what to sing and what their image should be. It's all quite fake, designed to generate sales with the facade of sincerity but by its very nature, lacks artistic integrity.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I totally get that, but I mean more from the outside looking in at the whole picture; surely TR knew some people, fans even, would not understand why he would allow this. It’s all in the name of art, video and audio. And the Ashely episode likely resonates with TR and how he was treated and restricted with several of his labels. Broken.

and for the record, Justin has tremendous talent; he is a victim of the music machine too. (See his latest twitter post).

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    speaking of resistance, i will never understand the resistance to give miley a chance around here. we have a thread, she's incredibly experimental, appeals to several fringe audiences, can sing her ass off. we're still debating *why* how many months later? like, c'mon.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    speaking of resistance, i will never understand the resistance to give miley a chance around here. we have a thread, she's incredibly experimental, appeals to several fringe audiences, can sing her ass off. we're still debating *why* how many months later? like, c'mon.
    If this is about what I said, please read it again. The post above mine implied that 'On A Roll' was an act of art as resistance, which it isn't (the HLAH version at the end of the episode, however, is). I countered this with a comment on the context of the song within the episode and then ended with a blanket statement about the truths of the real manufactured music industry. There is no attack against any particular artist or question of why.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Did they ever put out a full version of her cover of HLAH? I'd like to hear her screaming her lungs out.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Oh my goodness. They just played this as the transition into a commercial during the Nebraska at Minnesota game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry to necro bump this but I completely missed there was a promo CD for this in Europe. Looking at the Discogs Entry (Ashley O – On A Roll (2019, CD) - Discogs) there's 2 extended versions of the songs. Does anyone know if it's the same as these on Youtube? They are the same track length but no idea if they are "official"

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear78 View Post
    Sorry to necro bump this but I completely missed there was a promo CD for this in Europe. Looking at the Discogs Entry (Ashley O – On A Roll (2019, CD) - Discogs) there's 2 extended versions of the songs. Does anyone know if it's the same as these on Youtube? They are the same track length but no idea if they are "official"
    I'm really torn on this. On the one hand, I think the Trace Adam Extended Mixes are not official. If you look at all his output, all the remixes he seems to do all appear to be unofficial. Additionally, when these Ashley O tracks first went up on digital streamers and retailers, the record label accidentally labeled the track as "Right Where It Belongs" (the NIN title) instead of "Right Where I Belong" (the Ashley O title). They pushed a correction to the digital platforms within a few days, but Trace Adam had already created and uploaded the "Extended Mix" using the incorrect title, as you can see on the still frame of the YouTube video above, and as he admits in the comments of that video. This further supports that he was not in the official loop on this track, as he should have known the correct title if it was officially commissioned.

On the other hand, those photos of that promo CD on Discogs look really good. But, given that, after all this time, only one person on discogs claims to have that CD, and that it contains these Extended Mixes which appear to be unofficial, I'm ultimately coming down on the side that that CD is also unofficial.

Edit: I don't know. That CD is really well done if it's fake. It has artwork obscured by the disc that portrays the back of the fake shrinkwrapped Ashley O single, which I don't think is an image that has appeared anywhere.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear78 View Post

Lol. Did you bump this because i asked if anyone would want to trade for the Health 7"?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kargath View Post
    Lol. Did you bump this because i asked if anyone would want to trade for the Health 7"?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Haha, yeah, first I ever heard of any kind of promo for this. Looked it up and saw these "extended" mixes listed so figured I would ask if they had popped up anywhere.