Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Miley Cyrus covers NIN for upcoming Black Mirror episode (spoilers)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Saw it, couldn't wait any longer. The part where she was composing on piano watched twice, very nice. And it's strangely satisfying to see "Many thanks to Trent Reznor". Lyrics were edited by Charlie Brooker.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post

Seems no new lyrics, my opinion stands...
    The video you posted is not the song heard most in the episode. There is a version with new lyrics.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    What a time to be alive. I don't really dig this BM version (though it's pretty funny), but the previous one postad was decent.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Got a text from my friend (who knows i'm a big NIN nerd) who was having a nerd-gasum for me as she's a bit of a Milly fan and a mild NIN fan (she adores Leaving Hope)...i think she's going to want one of those shirts! Fuck i WANT one of those shirts!

UPDATE : She's already getting it as soon as she's paid
    Last edited by Haysey_Draws; 06-06-2019 at 06:14 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I really like that, as a NIN fan, I knew the "real" lyrics from the "fake" ones. Hearing "I'm On A Roll" at the beginning but then hearing her start to write the real version of "Right Where It Belongs," I was like, oh, I get it! Granted, you don't have to know NIN at all to understand the songs in the context of the episode, but I thought it was cool that knowing the lyrics helped put you in the know about what they were doing a little earlier than everyone else.
    Last edited by Toadflax; 06-06-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    The video you posted is not the song heard most in the episode. There is a version with new lyrics.
    Now i'll have to watch the damn episode, lol

thanks

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Seems no new lyrics, my opinion stands...
    I can't tell if I'm being pranked... did you watch the episode?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    also, can I just say, that I surprisingly thought the part where Miley is covering "Right Where it Belongs" at the piano was actually really good. That's my favorite moment on With Teeth, definitely the song I've listened to the most.

Cute moment where they show the sheet music in her mind...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    I love that the musical part of her brain is Trent Reznor. It’s possibly one of my favorite tv stories ever. The entire episode seems like it was designed for me to like it. I’ve avoided the show because my husband and others have mentioned it’s “depressing” and I don’t need that shit rn. Reading that this episode is different from its counterparts is interesting. I thought I wouldn’t be able to understand everything since I had never watched before but it was like a mini movie.

The parallels to reznor’s story and my own life were obvious from the get-go. A show I’ve never watched instantly felt familiar. As mentioned earlier in the thread, Reznor had serious issues with his own manager/label. Me and my sister’s teen years were marred by my mother’s death which was when I found nine inch nails and became a fangirl. I made my husband watch it so I could process it with him and he got what I was saying.

They took art I already love and gave it new depth. No matter your opinions on Miley, Ashley O is a badass. She’s writing nin songs while in coma! The club scene at the end is perfect. She’s triumphant and our favorite anthem remains in tact. It really gave me the feels.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Black Mirror got me like:

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Is Miley saying she’s going to release the songs?

https://twitter.com/mileycyrus/statu...000669184?s=21

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Kind of reminds me of when Disney asked Devo for permission to do kid versions of their songs... Yes, this happened

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I can't tell if I'm being pranked... did you watch the episode?
    Nope, i just said i had to watch the episode...

I watched the live version clip (the lyric video) and the Black Mirror end credits version, i thought that was all, turn out the episode has the "new lyrics".

kind of funny and weird...

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Here's a bit of the re-worked/pop version of Right Where It Belongs for anyone that cares:

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Is anyone else feeling, “yeah all of these covers and riffs on NIN songs are fun and flattering but where is some actual public appreciation for NIN itself?!”

Like, great that Cash covered hurt but the original is fantastic. Great that ghosts helps someone else get a number one hit. Cool that Miley does fun covers of HLA and RWIB but where is the love for ACTUAL Nine Inch Nails tracks?! Where is the recognition for how awesome the original versions are? Why are the suddenly more palatable and acceptable when someone else is singing them?

Irks me. The world needs to RECOGNIZE.

End rant.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    NIN is one of the biggest bands on the planet. I think they've got recognition.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Is anyone else feeling, “yeah all of these covers and riffs on NIN songs are fun and flattering but where is some actual public appreciation for NIN itself?!”

Like, great that Cash covered hurt but the original is fantastic. Great that ghosts helps someone else get a number one hit. Cool that Miley does fun covers of HLA and RWIB but where is the love for ACTUAL Nine Inch Nails tracks?! Where is the recognition for how awesome the original versions are? Why are the suddenly more palatable and acceptable when someone else is singing them?

End rant.
    Eh, I think it's cool that NIN lives in the arena of being well known but still kind of underground. How many Lil Nas X, Billy Ray Cyrus, Marvel, Brie Larson, Black Mirror, and Miley Cyrus fans have looked up the respective NIN references on the internet this year to learn about a band they didn't really know anything about before? It's the same with Leonard Cohen and Jeff Buckley, where tons of people have heard of them, but most people couldn't name three of their songs. Hell, ask twenty random passersby to name one David Bowie song post 1983. Some artists are considered legends, but they're not overplayed or known by everyone, which allows the population of real fans to be something special. I would much rather Nine Inch Nails be two feet below the surface (sorry) of the common consciousness than have the overbearing presence of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Queen, U2, Michael Jackson, Madonna, etc. Nothing against any of those artists, but they've become something ever-present where everyone is familiar with them. I like going to a Nine Inch Nails show and being surround by thousands of people who feel like NIN is their own private thing. The fact that people like Charlie Brooker and David Fincher are part of that intimate club just makes it all the more cool.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    And bonus points that two years ago I sung Right where it belongs (over instrumental) on company party evening (finished second, heh) so maybe, just maybe somebody will remember me watching this...? (I'm leaving this job right now)

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

End rant.
    Personally, I couldn't care less. Just makes it easier for me to buy tickets to the smaller shows.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Did anyone catch the rock club playing 1,000,000 as Ashley and her Mom drove by?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    OH! I get it! I'm in a fucking simulation!

I wonder if you guys are in it, too, or if you're like, NPCs?
    this Year Zero ARG reboot is wild...

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Miley Cyrus covers NIN for upcoming Black Mirror episode (spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Did anyone catch the rock club playing 1,000,000 as Ashley and her Mom drove by?
    No!! And it’s her shitty aunt.

Edit: I just watched that part. I didn’t get 1,000,000 from it. The drums sounded more like march of the pigs or gave up to me but I cranked it and can’t make out a song.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Black Mirror got me like:

lol at cutting out "you can't f'n take that away" at 0:36

Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Personally, I couldn't care less. Just makes it easier for me to buy tickets to the smaller shows.
    How does it make it easier? Moar T-Shirt fans going and complaining on IG that they didn't play closer in Vegas.
    Last edited by ekrekel; 06-08-2019 at 07:26 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post

How does it make it easier?
    Less demand = more supply = easier purchasing abilities. Pretty simple concept.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    No!! And it’s her shitty aunt.

Edit: I just watched that part. I didn’t get 1,000,000 from it. The drums sounded more like march of the pigs or gave up to me but I cranked it and can’t make out a song.
    OOPS! It was her aunt, wasn’t it? I didn’t finish the episode before I posted that. And yeah, it’s hard for me to make it out the second time but I swore I heard the drums from 1,000,000 initially.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Dreadful.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Is Miley saying she’s going to release the songs?

https://twitter.com/mileycyrus/statu...000669184?s=21
    Seems as if you might've been correct - https://www.altpress.com/news/black-...-release-date/

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by d1stinct View Post
    Seems as if you might've been correct - https://www.altpress.com/news/black-...-release-date/
    This says they’re releasing a video for “on a roll”. I want all the songs.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    This says they’re releasing a video for “on a roll”. I want all the songs.
    Sorry for pointing this again : you mean the two songs ?