Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Podcasts

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Podcasts

Wasn't sure where to put this, not sure if it's appropriate here, but I thought I'd give it a shot. Listening to Jay Mohr's podcast right now, really cool stuff when he doesn't have a douchebag for a guest (except his manager, who somehow can balance that with being funny).

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Here's what I listen to, though I haven't kept up much lately.

- Adam Carolla Podcast
    - Joe Rogan Experience
    - SModcast
    - Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!
    - Drunk Tank (Rooster Teeth Podcast)
    - The Skeptic's Guide To The Universe
    - WTF With Marc Maron
    - Star Talk with Neil DeGrasse Tyson
    - Nerdist

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    If you're into tabletop rpgs, I co-host a podcast on the World of Darkness games called Darker Days Radio.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Force Cast is pretty much the only one i try to listen to every now and then.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Yes! I was wondering when my fellow podcast nerds were going to come out into daylight.

I haven't been keeping up with them lately, but these are my favorites, in no particular order:

My regulars:

Kevin and Bean
    The Joe Rogan Experience
    Mohr Stories
    WTF
    (though I gave up on listening to every one; now I just listen only when there's a guest I like).
    The Jimmy Dore Show
    Slash Filmcast

The Majority Report
    Fresh Air

Podcasts I used to like but have since given up on:

Comedy and Everything Else
    Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me
    Citizen Radio

Adam Carolla- I only listened to this asshole when I didn't know a lot of podcasts and needed something for work. The unfunniest excuse for a "comedian" I've ever heard.

The Todd Glass Show (actually, I never really liked it, but I really tried to get into it because Todd is so damn likeable. Ultimately, I just couldn't take it any more).

Hollywood Babble-On- I like Kevin Smith and I like Ralph Garman, but this show is an utter and complete train wreck. I finally gave up hoping it would get funny.

Doug Loves Movies- The Leonard Maltin game is the shit, but the rest of it is just awful. Doug is painfully unfunny.

This American Life- This show blows. I'm sorry. I tried. I heard a few really great episodes but realized at some point that they were the exception to the rule.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Stuff You Should Know

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I always listen to WTF whenever someone I'm interested is on too. Same with Elvis Mitchell's The Treatment. One that I listen to a bit infrequently is Masocast (sorta NSFW), about kinky lifestyles. I've listened to Rogan's show a little bit, not convinced I should subscribe though I like what he's doing. It would be awesome if Henry Rollins got one, like a scaled-down version of his IFC show.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    This American Life- This show blows. I'm sorry. I tried. I heard a few really great episodes but realized at some point that they were the exception to the rule.
    I can't stand his voice.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The Tobolowsky Files ​might possibly be the height of the medium.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^Oh, yeah. I forgot to add that one. I only occasionally listen to that, but his good episodes are really good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    WTF with Marc Maron is basically the only Podcast I listen to regularly, and still only when there's a guest I'm interested in, or when a friend tells me "Oh, you've gotta listen to the Mencia episode!" I've met the guy a few times, I go to college really close to where he lives, and he has come to speak to us a few times. Always a great time, and I always talk to him afterwards. He's a really interesting dude and I love hearing about everyone's life, especially coming up in the comedy world. Maron is a great host because he's so honest, and open about a lot of his own problems.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    While I have no idea about podcasts etc, I do have a couple that I subscribe to just to have people nattering in my ears about subjects I'm interested in when sat in the office:
    1ups Retronauts - cus they talk about old games
    Little Atoms - regular interviews with authors of new pop-science books and documentaries etc
    IGN beyond - so I can hear loud opinionated people rattle on about playstations
    For giggles I usually listen to Adam and Joe's old podcasts from the BBC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Professor Blastoff: Tig Notaro, Kyle Dunnigan and David Huntsburger -- I've almost lost consciousness from laughing so hard. If you are new to it, start from the beginning as we are on episode 36 now and there are a lot of in-jokes running now.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Normally I don't like Doug Loves Movies, but this week Patton Oswalt and David Cross were on, so now I have to listen.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Normally I don't like Doug Loves Movies, but this week Patton Oswalt and David Cross were on, so now I have to listen.
    I'm not a big fan of Patton Oswalt, but David Cross was on Nerdist a while back. I'm downloading now. What's he plugging? I thought I remember hearing he had a new show out, but I can't be fucked to look it up.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    He's plugging the second season of The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Stuff You Should Know
    They read a listener question I sent in a while back.

I've also contributed/called in to Dark Matter with Dave Navarro quite a few times (they still vidcast it live every Wednesday night at moheak.com and it's podcasted at 6767.com) including last Wednesday's — great fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Joe Rogan Experience is the only one where I listen to every episode. For gaming I like the Giant Bombcast. Are there any good podcasts about (and with) music?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    The only podcast I actually subscribe to is a music one: JeffMix. I personally like most of his choices.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Apparently today's WTF is really awesome. Todd Glass is on, who I like anyway, but apparently he talks about something super personal. Or something. All I know is, Patton Oswalt already tweeted it was the best WTF ever, someone on a comedy message board I lurk at said he was "really proud" of Todd for whatever it is he said, and Maron said "It’s an honest, open discussion unlike any other heard on WTF." Which, for anyone who's ever heard WTF will tell you, that is saying something. He got Louis CK to cry for God's sake.

Anyway, I'm really curious now as to what all the hype is about. I won't be listening until later tonight, but the suspense is killing me. I'm guessing Todd either comes out or talks about how he was molested, or something equally messed up from his childhood. Something. I don't know. No matter what, it'll be a very interesting episode.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    I'm not a huge podcast listener, but these are the ones I've been listening to recently:

Judge John Hodgman - John Hodgman hears and judges over frivolous disputes (are machine guns robots, is it appropriate to actively encourage the audience to clap along) to humorous effect.
    Sound of Young America (now Bullseye) - Jesse Thorn interviews a variety of pop culture not quite mainstream people.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I only listen to The Sound of Young America...er...Bullseye when there's a good guest on. But it's a pretty good show.

I do hate the name change, though.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Went into my Google Reader to find a great surprise. Josh Freese is on the latest episode of Doug Loves Moves. Thought some people here may be interested.

Also, that guy fucking gets around, doesn't he? Slut.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I try to avoid Doug Loves Movies but with Freese on I might have to check it out.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I try to avoid Doug Loves Movies but with Freese on I might have to check it out.
    He doesn't seem to be talking much so far. Makes sense, since he's on stage with three comedians and Pat Wilson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast http://billburr.com/podcast

always hilarious

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^I really like Bill Burr, but I tried his podcast a few times and wasn't too impressed. Maybe it's a grower.

So...I completely- and I mean COMPLETELY- swore off Adam "couldn't be funny if his life depended on it" Carolla, but Patton Oswalt was on this week so...dammit. I have to listen. I told myself I wouldn't, but I'm weak. I can't pass up a podcast where Patton is the guest.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Alec Baldwin has one called Here's The Thing and he's had guests like Chris Rock and Michael Douglas on before. Just today an interview with Lorne Michaels (who Maron said is interested in doing an episode of WTF​) went up, and it's pretty good.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Slowly getting into Aisha Tyler's podcast, Girl On Guy. Really good episodes with Margaret Cho and Tom Morello.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Fan of the Joe Rogan Experience need to watch this. It's fucking hilarious.