Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Does TR write all of his songs?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Does TR write all of his songs?

Out of curiosity I watched an episode the new show 'Songland' where big artists, like John Legend for this episode, have songwriters demo a song that they have written and produced. John then chooses a song and he then "cuts" it; or in my own perspective he takes ownership of the song and he records it as his song.

This whole show has actually given the music industry a shitty image, like... I know it's common for big artists to get help with writing songs; but Blake Sheltons newest song "Gods Country', which I really like, was written by some other artists and Blake liked it so he took ownership of it.

Anyways. I know TR gets creative help on some songs; but are there any songs (other than obvious covers) that TR has not written?

I'm sure the answer is no, but just stirring up conversation. Has TR sold or given away any of his unwanted works to other artists to claim as their own?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I mean, unless someone comes out and says "I was the ghostwriter on Hurt", we have to assume Trent has written all of his songs (sans covers and collaborations). It would be pretty sad if Trent had people ghostwriting his songs.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    Has TR sold or given away any of his unwanted works to other artists to claim as their own?
    Those closest might be the work he did with Saul Williams and the Niggy Tardust album.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I am curious if he has sold anything unwanted or unused though

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    TR had the sole writing credit for all but a handful of albums prior to Atticus becoming an official member. TR has claimed that his lyrics are very personal to him, and it absolutely shows on many songs, so it's highly unlikely that he secretly had other people write them for him. Closest songs I know of are the the Aphex Twin tracks on Further Down The Spiral, and they're both instrumental. As for songs sold/given by TR, TR would likely have a writing credit. I haven't found many songs written by TR for others, so I wouldn't know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Unless someone gets a co-writing credit or if it's a cover song, then TR is the main songwriter along with AR now that he is an official studio member.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Counterpoint - if someone or a group of people ghost wrote every lyric in every NIN song and TR and company paid those people money, fulfilled contracts and kept those parties satisfied, then that'd be OK because this is the music industry and this shit has happened for decades. There are MANY people who ghost write or exist solely as songwriters who have made a living off of writing and selling their songs to big name musicians. Sometimes, big name musicians do it for each other, like with Tom Petty and Steve Nicks, for example.

Now, if TR did this and was ripping these people off by not compensating them per agreed terms, then that'd be a problem. Until we've found otherwise, that doesn't appear to be the case.

Stigmatizing songwriters for selling their songs to other musicians for any number of different reasons is counterproductive and rude. A lot of people make a living doing this. Sometimes, musicians are great at singing, playing instruments and writing their own songs. Some are good at just writing songs and selling them. Some are good at just performing. I'd list more variations but I tried to do that math in my head and that'd make this post insanely long.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    Counterpoint - if someone or a group of people ghost wrote every lyric in every NIN song and TR and company paid those people money, fulfilled contracts and kept those parties satisfied, then that'd be OK because this is the music industry and this shit has happened for decades. There are MANY people who ghost write or exist solely as songwriters who have made a living off of writing and selling their songs to big name musicians. Sometimes, big name musicians do it for each other, like with Tom Petty and Steve Nicks, for example.

Now, if TR did this and was ripping these people off by not compensating them per agreed terms, then that'd be a problem. Until we've found otherwise, that doesn't appear to be the case.

Stigmatizing songwriters for selling their songs to other musicians for any number of different reasons is counterproductive and rude. A lot of people make a living doing this. Sometimes, musicians are great at singing, playing instruments and writing their own songs. Some are good at just writing songs and selling them. Some are good at just performing. I'd list more variations but I tried to do that math in my head and that'd make this post insanely long.
    I have a buddy who ghost-wrote for a once popular metalcore band. To the best of my knowledge, he was compensated rather well.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    This, all of this.

Sia was a phenomenal but criminally underappreciated singer for years before she finally got big with her "mysterious hidden face" persona, but while she was struggling to fill 500-capacity venues she pretty much made a living writing hit songs for Rihanna, Christina Aguilera, etc. There shouldn't be any fucking shame in that whatsoever if that's what's paying the bills.

That all being said, I can't believe Trent would use a ghost writer. If he had any kind of assistance, I'd think it would be properly credited.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Remember a story about that guy who claimed he sent TR a demo tape and Trent then ripped these tracks off on TDS?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Aside from the obvious answer of Atticus Ross, various members of the different incarnations of the live band have contributed to the songwriting of several songs, including Alessandro Cortini, Danny Lohner, Keith Hillebrandt, and Charlie Clouser.
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 05-30-2019 at 02:29 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Remember a story about that guy who claimed he sent TR a demo tape and Trent then ripped these tracks off on TDS?

oh yeeeeeah. Richard Onfafrfrio or something.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Yeah, I was gonna say, didn't Charlie come up with the basic loop and foundation for Starfuckers, and then Trent wrote the lyrics and guitar shit on top of that? That's probably the closest thing I can think of, and that's not really the same thing as actual "ghost writing" because Charlie received songwriting credit for Starfuckers.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    You're all wrong.

Nine Inch Nails is Josh Wink.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Yeah, I was gonna say, didn't Charlie come up with the basic loop and foundation for Starfuckers, and then Trent wrote the lyrics and guitar shit on top of that? That's probably the closest thing I can think of, and that's not really the same thing as actual "ghost writing" because Charlie received songwriting credit for Starfuckers.
    I believe Charlie also got a songwriting credit on 'The Way Out Is Through' along with Keith Hillebrandt. I also believe Danny Lohner got a songwriting credit on 'Somewhat Damage!'

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    You're all wrong.

Nine Inch Nails is Josh Wink.
    Fuck's sake, I wanted to be the one to post it!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookster426 View Post
    I believe Charlie also got a songwriting credit on 'The Way Out Is Through' along with Keith Hillebrandt. I also believe Danny Lohner got a songwriting credit on 'Somewhat Damage!'
    Correct; Lohner also co-wrote "Even Deeper" and "And All That Could Have Been".

As for the thread topic, I feel like Trent would be the kind of person to be upfront about who's writing what on his music.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Asking if Trent Reznor wrote his own songs is like asking if the world is really flat. Like sure, in theory, anything is possible, but it’s really a garbage though that all of the evidence points against and shouldn’t be entertained for even a moment.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    does anyone r eally "write" anything? we all draw material from the same well. the well called L i F E

--- check out the gamecube.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Danny Lohner and Courtney Love wrote all of NIN's songs. Except for Hurt. Johnny Cash wrote that.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    ... aaaaaaaaaaaaand we're done here.