Page 123 of 129 FirstFirst ... 23 73 113 121 122 123 124 125 ... LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,690 of 3846

Thread: What are you playing?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    I just got to the Second Sister and FML lol how do you kill this bitch?

Trying to dodge her attacks and strike her when she's got her saber stuck in the ground but i can only do so much damage.

I haven't been to Dathomir yet, should i go there first? Basically i did Bogano then Zeffo, back to Bogano to collect some extra stuff with new Force Push powers then went to Kashyyyk and objective brought me back to Zeffo.
    Ugh... This fight. It's all about waiting for your chance to attack.

All I can say is memorize her moves as best as you can, and wait for her to do the jump attack to get some quick hits in; rinse and repeat. All of her moves can be parried besides when she glows red, like other enemies. She has 2 phases, the second when she gains more speed is annoying but let her come to you. Her stamina bar you can try to get down as well with force push and some saber attacks. Pro Tip: You only have to get her bar down to half, and that will trigger a cutscene.

You can go to Dathomir as early as chapter 2 I believe, but you'll quickly find out you don't belong yet lol. I won't spoil, but there is a very good item you can get early on in Dathomir if you explore a little bit that can benefit almost everything you do in the game.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Ugh... This fight. It's all about waiting for your chance to attack.

All I can say is memorize her moves as best as you can, and wait for her to do the jump attack to get some quick hits in; rinse and repeat. All of her moves can be parried besides when she glows red, like other enemies. She has 2 phases, the second when she gains more speed is annoying but let her come to you. Her stamina bar you can try to get down as well with force push and some saber attacks. Pro Tip: You only have to get her bar down to half, and that will trigger a cutscene.

You can go to Dathomir as early as chapter 2 I believe, but you'll quickly find out you don't belong yet lol. I won't spoil, but there is a very good item you can get early on in Dathomir if you explore a little bit that can benefit almost everything you do in the game.
    For shame i lowered the difficulty a notch to get a leg up on her. She was still pretty tough, I was on the Jedi Master difficulty i think where all the meters are even so i dropped down to Jedi Knight where it gives more forgiving parry time? Finally got her down to half, thank god for that lol

Good to know about Dathomir, thanks!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    i realized something yesterday:
    Ok so, once GameCubes were on their last leg, well, i got one for $25, at the store. and i fucking LOOOOOVED it.
    i didn't have TV at the time, and i'd buy a "new" used game every payday or two.
    It was heaven.
    And THEN, with Wii, well i got a couple of $50 Wiis.

I kept waiting for that to happen to the Wii U. But it didn't.

And i think i know why. I think nintendo does this on purpose now.

Even though people didn't CARE about Wii U (except nintendo die hards like myself), Nintendo STILL managed to make demand outpace supply.
    THAT is why Wii U, one of nintendo's worst selling consoles to date, went from Spensive AF to I Am a Collector status, without the price ever dropping much.

I think the most ridiculous aspect of this strategy can be seen with the NES Classic edition.
    They knew DAMN WELL that everyone would want one, so they purposely didn't make enough.
    Hell, i wanted one, even though i had the ENTIRE nes library on PC, laptop, wii, retroid pocket 2, Anbernic RG351p...

Or how about the part where the Super Mario All Stars 3D set was only available for 6 fucking months?

i mean, i guess i get it.
    They wanna make ALL the money they can. I get that.
    But, good god. Sega HIRES people who make fan games. Nintendo sues them.
    And i still LOVE the warm fuzzy nintendo vibe.
    But, behind that shit is some SERIOUSLY ruthless business folks.

OK. Sorry for rant.

I'm still slowly making my way through FF9, and trying to get through the dope ass Hook arcade game without using too many "tokens."

And i'm looking to get into Trials of Mana, aka Seiken Densetsu 3.
    @Jinsai , of the people i know who speak Japanese, you're the only one who isn't an ex, :P
    Do you know which translation patch is best, or if there's an all-in-one translated rom?
    Last edited by elevenism; 03-26-2022 at 02:10 AM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    @elevenism oh, my Japanese speaking/reading abilities are so out of use, and even then, to be fluent enough to gauge the quality of different translations... I couldn't claim to be able to make that call

Translations are also really subjective things. Some people really prefer the fan translation of FF6, which is more literal and true to the original Japanese, but I think the original translation is much better on a whole. But I make that call on just reading the english, not comparing it to the Japanese.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    @elevenism oh, my Japanese speaking/reading abilities are so out of use, and even then, to be fluent enough to gauge the quality of different translations... I couldn't claim to be able to make that call

Translations are also really subjective things. Some people really prefer the fan translation of FF6, which is more literal and true to the original Japanese, but I think the original translation is much better on a whole. But I make that call on just reading the english, not comparing it to the Japanese.
    Word. Well, you know my video game situation.

And the original Seiken Densetsu 3 english patch is much praised, to this day: ima try that one

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I STILL haven't played FF7…. I started playing 9….
    Heresy! May the gods judge you.

I'll keep enjoying LITERALLY every Wii, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, DS, GBA, GBC, GB, Dreamcast, Saturn, Genesis, Game Gear, Master System, Neo Geo, MAME/Final Burn Neo (aka 99% of arcade games up to like 99,) on my Anbernic RG351P and Retroid pocket 2 Plus, and hacked Wii, and my XBOX One thing.
    Not long after the RG351M hit I got one along with a custom printed grip to make it more ergonomic.

They are pocketable and preloaded with games, what’s not to love? But my heavens, the handheld scene is getting crowded with entries so fast, and it’s about impossible to feel satisfied with what you have when every few months something new and incrementally better is coming out. And who has the money to keep up with that? Admittedly the Retroid Pocket 2 Plus looks like it’s doing great things and is probably the best bang for buck at this point. I kinda wish I had waited and got one of those instead of the RG351M.

But yeah, then there's the Switch

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post

Not long after the RG351M hit I got one along with a custom printed grip to make it more ergonomic.

They are pocketable and preloaded with games, what’s not to love? But my heavens, the handheld scene is getting crowded with entries so fast, and it’s about impossible to feel satisfied with what you have when every few months something new and incrementally better is coming out. And who has the money to keep up with that? Admittedly the Retroid Pocket 2 Plus looks like it’s doing great things and is probably the best bang for buck at this point. I kinda wish I had waited and got one of those instead of the RG351M.

Are there any of these types of emulation handhelds that use FPGA chips in them?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Are there any of these types of emulation handhelds that use FPGA chips in them?
    To be honest, I don’t know. The only emu-handheld I have is the RG351M and its specs are as follows…

The RK3326 is common in so many iterations of Anbernic products. But other devices (Powkiddy, Retroid, Ayaneo, etc.) I just don’t know. Out of curiosity, what would be the significance of FPGA chips?

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    @Dr Channard

FPGA is the most accurate chipset technology for playing retro games with as close to original hardware as possible, short of actually being the original hardware that's the main significance at least.

Although usually what's involved with FPGA systems are the reintroduction of cartridges so that you can play your own physical library if you want. The Analog consoles are like this.

Those systems end up being more expensive, I was just curious if maybe they had some different and cheaper configurations that were like these sort of handhelds.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

What are you playing?

Hi all,

Back in December I deliberated getting Ghost of Tsushima- and ended up getting it and loving it. I’m a slower player and I did put it on the back burner for a bit when I first got it but after 4 months and 55 hours I completed the main story and a lot of side quests. I’m going to play a bit more and finish out some other things but now I’m at a loss of what to play - so I need your advice!

I played DeathLoop and love it

I played Death Stranding and love it

I own and TRIED Returnal but was constantly frustrated

My options are to continue to play Ghost for a bit longer which I will, revert back to Death Stranding, give Returnal another try, or maybe replay a classic PlayStation game.

Any recommendations on what to play next? I have PS5, so no PC or X Box.

Edit: I know Elden Ring is getting a lot of talk and has rave reviews - I’ve never been into knights and dragons and stuff. Should I still give this a try?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ItsChrisRoss; 04-06-2022 at 08:49 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post

A. My wife's RP2 Plus will be here in a few days. I'm a LITTLE jealous. Of course she's like "oh, we can share it, it'll be ok," but I know from (our) experience that it's kind of hard to "share" a personal electronic device.

B. you're using stock firmware and roms on an Anbernic? And stock card? :/
    You need to flash that shit over to 351elec or ArkOS if you're feeling saucy, and put your OWN romsets on it.
    Getcha full console/handheld romsets and a few thousand arcade games between MAME and FBN, and choose the PS1 games you want.
    Also, the micro SD that comes with those things: it's not IF it stops working, but WHEN, in my experience.

Yeah we had some money when all that shit came out; we bought 4 anbernic 351p and 2 RP2.

AS A MATTER OF FACT, if anyone wanna buy a REGULAR ass RP2 (not plus), that's only been turned on once, I'm the plug.

@ItsChrisRoss idk much about kids these days and their sexboxes and gamestation 4s, being a retro gamer, BUT, I DID see a video regarding the brutal difficulty of Elden Ring.

They kept saying it was a "souls" style.game. I guess that means Dark Souls?

I have one recommendation you can get for really cheap, and that's Bloodstained, which is basically Symphony of the Night 2. The dude who created SoTN left Konami and took a bunch of his team with him.

Also, I HIGHLY recommend the Telltale/Skybound TWD series of games. I got into THAT shit more deeply on an emotional level than ANY episode of the show.

I assume those things are playable on a PS5.
    Last edited by elevenism; 04-06-2022 at 10:49 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Also @Dr Channard , I've fucked around with FF7. I've started it. My wife is playing it. I watch her play it.

As someone who has a deep, unconditional love for 1-6, along with stuff like Secret of Mana, though, 7 just doesn't have the same vibe.

9 is the natural progression for me. 9 looks like what they were GETTING at all along, but couldn't quite show us, graphically.

Also, it's got an existential sadness to it that I love.

And it was the last mainline FF outing that was a true old school FANTASY game, right?
    I feel like they knew that, going into it, hence the sadness.

I'll get around to 7. 9 makes me SO fucking happy tho.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    A. My wife's RP2 Plus will be here in a few days. I'm a LITTLE jealous. Of course she's like "oh, we can share it, it'll be ok," but I know from (our) experience that it's kind of hard to "share" a personal electronic device.

B. you're using stock firmware and roms on an Anbernic? And stock card? :/
    You need to flash that shit over to 351elec or ArkOS if you're feeling saucy, and put your OWN romsets on it.
    Getcha full console/handheld romsets and a few thousand arcade games between MAME and FBN, and choose the PS1 games you want.
    Also, the micro SD that comes with those things: it's not IF it stops working, but WHEN, in my experience.

Yeah we had some money when all that shit came out; we bought 4 anbernic 351p and 2 RP2.

AS A MATTER OF FACT, if anyone wanna buy a REGULAR ass RP2 (not plus), that's only been turned on once, I'm the plug.

@ItsChrisRoss idk much about kids these days and their sexboxes and gamestation 4s, being a retro gamer, BUT, I DID see a video regarding the brutal difficulty of Elden Ring.

They kept saying it was a "souls" style.game. I guess that means Dark Souls?

I have one recommendation you can get for really cheap, and that's Bloodstained, which is basically Symphony of the Night 2. The dude who created SoTN left Konami and took a bunch of his team with him.

Also, I HIGHLY recommend the Telltale/Skybound TWD series of games. I got into THAT shit more deeply on an emotional level than ANY episode of the show.

I assume those things are playable on a PS5.
    @elevenism yes Souls meaning Dark Souls which I have also never played. I have also read about the difficulty of Elden Ring which is making me hesitant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Handheld and something better than a prototype? More or less, just the Analogue Pocket. I'm not even sure all of the adapters have been released, though.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Handheld and something better than a prototype? More or less, just the Analogue Pocket. I'm not even sure all of the adapters have been released, though.
    yeah I was gonna mention that, but I mean, fuuuuuuuck that, and I also didn't want to triple post.

Not having/needing old carts is WHY I fuck with this scene so much. I like having full romsets for beloved systems and more arcade games than any arcade in the world, on a damn micro SD card.

So yeah, I was waiting for.the anbernic 552, but it wound up being stupidly expensive and supposedly, really hard to even PLAY.

My wife jumped on the RP2 Plus.

I'M wondering if the inevitable RP3 will shake shit up.

MEANWHILE, that AYN Odin looks PRETTY fucking nice. The only problem is that they're still fulfilling orders from their 2020 indiegogo campaign.

And it IS like, what, $300? But it looks like it's handling the whole GameCube library.

That's, in fact, a nice stopping point for me in terms of power, although I'd love some 3DS functionality.
    @ItsChrisRoss look up "before you buy Elden Ring" or something on YouTube. That shit looks, to me, like a damn "beat contra in three lives" difficulty level version of an open world RPG thing, wherein you've absolutely no idea where you're supposed to go or what to do.

It's apparently the crowning achievement of a subgenre. I don't think it's for ME, that's for damn surw.
    Last edited by elevenism; 04-06-2022 at 05:06 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    In an effort to distract myself, I'm going to replay the Harebrained Schemes Shadowrun games (Returns, Dragonfall, Hong Kong).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    BOTW. It's blowing my mind, haven't played a Zelda game since Majora's Mask.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    My wife's Retroid Pocket 2 Plus finally came, and it is AMAZING, especially for $99.

It's SO much easier to set up and tinker with than Anbernic stuff and the RP2 (NOT plus).

The touchscreen is WAY better than expected, making NDS a breeze.

It's got DAMN fine N64 emulation, and will also play the overwhelming majority of your N64s and Dreamcasts with no issues at all.

Of course, setting these things up takes time and I've not created a PSP library, but from what I've heard, it runs 95% of THAT shit, too.

AND, this thing plays a reasonable number of GAMECUBE games! I mean, SHIT! You have to fuck around with the settings in a lot of cases.with the GC, but it's just wild that this little $99 thing is running any GameCube at all.

I really want an AYN Odin, personally, but the only people who have those ordered them like literally two years ago.

Anbernic has put out two underpowered/overpriced systems in a row, and it's REALLY disappointing.

ALL I WANTED was a new Anbernic that does, well, basically what this RP2 Plus does.

I THINK I'm gonna wait and see how the inevitable RP3 looks. I still ADORE my RG351P.

This RP2 Plus, though, at $99? It's DEFINITELY the best bang for your buck: the price to performance ratio is unmatched.

AND, I'd say it's also the PERFECT handheld if you're just getting into this scene.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Can't believe I slept on Returnal. Sure, it raises my blood pressure but damn is it addicting.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spiralout View Post
    Can't believe I slept on Returnal. Sure, it raises my blood pressure but damn is it addicting.
    I hated it, then I loved it. I also "cheated" by save scumming, it will save you a ton of time.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I'm really close to getting one of the two consoles and I think the Xbox will win out because of Gamepass. Just looking at that vs. what Sony is 'offering' is enough to sway me.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Anbernic has put out two underpowered/overpriced systems in a row, and it's REALLY disappointing.

ALL I WANTED was a new Anbernic that does, well, basically what this RP2 Plus does.

I THINK I'm gonna wait and see how the inevitable RP3 looks. I still ADORE my RG351P.

This RP2 Plus, though, at $99? It's DEFINITELY the best bang for your buck: the price to performance ratio is unmatched.
    The Retroid Pocket 2 + looks like a winner. It seems like Retroid really aimed at taking their design and revising/refining it to its best potential. Anbernic just cranks out devices at a rate nearly impossible to keep up with. No complaints at all with my RG351M, but the RP2+ seems to have overtaken Anbernic in terms of what you pay and what you get. The RG552 and the RG503 don’t interest me at all at their price points.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    https://playknotwords.com/

If you like sudoku and word puzzles you should check this out. I'm on a puzzle at the moment that I have like 8 of the 9 words on the screen but they're not the correct 8 words because I can't get the 9th to work with the letters I have left over.

It makes you feel so dumb, but at least there are also in-game awards for things like "figured out a puzzle in less than a minute" so they run the gamut of challenge.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I beat Tunic. Started around 3:00 yesterday afternoon and finished around 4:00.

This morning.

I'm not 100% on the game, and have new game + running now to clean some stuff up. Oddly there are 12 hidden treasures but the achievements list only shows 10? at any rate, the game is a bonkers fucking Souls-like and not a Zelda clone. who knew?

The production is top notch and it looks and sounds amazing. The controls leave a bit to be desired, not just for the way it controls but also how it's told to you. Basically you have an instruction manual that

A) you have to find
    B) doesn't tell you all the things you can do and so you kind of guess "what if I hit two buttons at the same time on no I'm on fire"
    C) is text that is based on phonemes and you can't read the damn manual!

But the story - as much as I could understand the events on screen - was very interesting. I didn't care to brag about having beaten it with only x number of deaths (getting my butt handed to me by lesser enemies does that) so I turned damage and stamina off, I just wanted to play and see the game.

there are spoilers but honestly if you haven't played the game there are no spoilers. it's just that inscrutable. Hell, one video I watched literally showed the last major puzzle and he's like "I don't know what I'm looking at here and I'm playing it, there's no way you'll know what it is just from this still".
    Last edited by allegate; 06-04-2022 at 05:08 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Anyone checked out that new retro designed Turtles game, "Shredder's Revenge"? Looks ill.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Anyone checked out that new retro designed Turtles game, "Shredder's Revenge"? Looks ill.
    Yeah, it's great, and six player matches are great. If you've got it on PSN hit me up

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Shredder's Revenge is one of the funnest gaming experiences I've had this year. Fantastic art design, great controls, short and just fun! I've also been playing Into the Breach. Never tried a tactics-based game but am absolutely digging it.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Yeah Shredder's Revenge is a great quick diversion that doesn't take a bunch of investment. There's no exhausting tutorials or overly complex mechanics, but the whole thing is actually balanced really well and the controls feel great. A+.

It's a great title to jog back in forth to from something that takes more investment. I'm still going through the main quest in Final Fantasy 14, and its newest expansion Endwalker is getting really epic.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Shredder's Revenge is fantastic. Bring on the Cowabunga Collection next!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Shredder's Revenge is what gaming is all about. Immediately brings you back to the local couch days. Playing on hard is no slouch though!