Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Bloodborne....this game is brutal.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Thomas was alone and AC: China.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    All righty, rant time. I'll probably promote Darkest Dungeon once it's released and I could test the final goodies, but this time, I want to talk about The Longest Journey saga. No doubt that Telltale's The Walking Dead and Dontnod's Life Is Strange are among the best games in the previous years, and this was the competition for TLJ's Dreamfall: Chapters. Which is funny, because back in 2006, Dreamfall was the game which took its lion's share in pioneering a new gaming experience, which eventually led to the games like TWD or LiS. The rant will be about how one of the finest games in the industry is nearly impossible to promote to anyone who is not a fan of the genre, which is very disappointing.

Though I started with the second installation of the saga, I'll go in chronological order, so the first game to mention from the series is obviously The Longest Journey. The game did not age well. Syberia is only 2 years younger than TLJ, but it has such graphics that it will still look fine a hundred years from now. TLS on the other hand is extremely ugly. They both share the best and worst qualities of a point and click adventure game. The puzzles can be really fun and feel rewarding, but the pixel hunting and some unnecessarily hard puzzles will make you want to pull your hair out. What skyrockets TLS into possibly the best adventure games ever is its story and main character. April Ryan is one of the best done protagonists ever. She's down to earth and feels a lot like any of us, but she's sassy attitude just makes the whole adventure a tons of fun. It's so fucking annoying how 90% of the games use main characters who play the "omg, what is this?!" act for 10 minutes, then you don't need to wait long until they totally embrace whatever unbelievable shit is thrown at them. Lame. But not April. She never fails to mention how fucking ridiculous all of this, and in the end, she remains an everyday hero.
    As for the story, Ragnar Tornquist definitely blew it out from the water. It starts out like every mystery story does, but instead of turning out to be something extremely cheesy or lame, it keeps on getting better and better. The story could be an instant best-seller if it was released as a book with even more details. The mystery keeps on expanding and expanding, chaining you there - and once again, April Ryan is the best possible protagonist to journey through such a story. Overall, it's a great game.

But it's nearly impossible to convince anyone to give it a shot. The game is ugly, and if you are not a fan of point and click adventuring, I don't see you sticking out for the hard puzzles.

The second game, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey made many steps to revolutionize adventure games. It operates with a third-person view and put story ahead of gameplay. Basically, it was like an alpha game for the likes of Telltales hits. Sadly, it did not hit the perfect balance. The puzzles became nothing more than time-dumps. There was not a single thing I had to look up some kind of walkthrough or think for more than 2 minutes. They were extremely straightforward, and you felt like you are not doing anything. Telltale had the right idea with TWD2 to actually not do anything, and instead give everything to the story. Dreamfall also tried to introduce a combat system which turned out to be just as monotone and easy as the puzzles. Once you learn how to cheese fights, they will never give you a headache. They are quite annoying at the beginning, however.
    Now, it's no secret that in the strict meaning of gameplay, Dreamfall is absolute shit, like 0/10 - you don't have to do anything, but you have to wait an insanely long time to do that. Maybe it doesn't makes sense to you, but if you try it, you'll understand what I mean. However, Ragnar had more opportunities to expand on the story and he nailed it. Our main protagonist, Zoé, while not being able to top the genius writing of April Ryan's, is a loveable character. Just like April, she doesn't take things too seriously, but her personality revolves around being lazy. She's a lot more immature than April was, but it is all good, because we got to play with April as well. Sadly, only for a short amount of time, and since a lot of time has passed, April's personality changed a lot. It pains me how little we got to know about her, and how such a lovely girl turned out to be a rebel leader, but if there's a God up in the sky, we will get The Longest Journey: Home, and it will fill in the gaps. Anyway, we get to play with a male character as well, Kian, who is rather generic, but between April and Zoe, it can be a nice change of pace.

The story is more interesting, more engulfing and in some ways even funnier than its predecessor. The story itself could easily get into all time top 10 lists, rivaling even RPGs with 100+ hours of gameplay. But as I said, if you care about the gameplay, it sucks. So, once again, it's hard to really convince anyone to play it. "Hey, amazing characters and A++++ story, you just have to wait 30 minutes all the time before anything actually happens!!" Dreamfall did its best with ripping off The Circle, I believe, with the creepy little girl appearing randomly in televisions and telling Zoé to save someone she doesn't even know. I mean, it's a cheap but great hook, but I'm not sure how long it can last, given how the beginning of the game (just like with TLJ) is rather boring, as they are basically character introductions.

And finally, I arrived to the latest installation, Dreamfall: Chapters. It reaped the perfected art which was introduced with the previous game 9 years ago, so it embraced the episodic format and the story to puzzle ratio. Sadly, it once again made some unnecessary and easily-avoidable mistakes. First of all, the lack of story recap from the previous two games is just such a huge mistake. Those games were 15 and 9 years old respectively when the first episode dropped, and not even I remembered everything, because there was so freaking much going on with the story. I don't even want to know how it would feel to try this game first without any knowledge of the previous games. Huge blunder. Then there are the puzzles... Oh, God. I just finished episode 4 today, and by now, I was at the point to not even bother with them. I just looked up a wakthrough and checked it for instructions the first time I arrived to a puzzle. They suck. They are boring and immersion-breaking. A good example how puzzles should've been is the last puzzle of episode 4. Now that shit was not too hard, but very rewarding.
    Now, the two characters are great. Zoé is fleshed out, she is much more mature and she looks great. They also managed to make Kian interesting! Now, to keep up with the traditions, the beginning is freaking tedious. With Zoé, you have to go to work and bring food to your boyfriend. Man, I love Zoé, so obviously I was just being a happy fangirl, appreciating that I can finally play a new Dreamfall, but what about those who are just starting out with the series? Life is Strange had the right idea to pack in a fucking punch at the beginning, so your interest is kept alive instead of uninstalling the game the first time you hear Max's uninterested voice. It is very hard not to want to murder Max at the beginning. Anyway, the story starts out slow, but the overall writing is once again, great. I wish Ragnar would write books or something, because I could eat those up.
    Another problem though is the episodic format. Now, I have no idea what the hell is happening half of the time, because it's months between episodes, and it's really hard to keep all those things in mind.

You see, Dreamfall:Chapters is a decent game, and probably the easiest game from the series to convince someone to try it, as it's up to date. However, the lack of a proper recap really hurts. For example, April Ryan is mentioned. Now, obviously, if you are a fan of the series you immidietly jump out of the window in joy. But if all you know that "she was great, she defeated X and Y" you really don't give a crap. I could swallow this, but they even lack the introduction to Zoé.

Steam reviews are pretty good for Chapters, but I fear many people would give up during episode 1 or 2, despite it's still being a great story worth to explore.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Mad Max! Finally got it (it was a gift), and love it. Exactly what I thought it would be.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    If Splinter Cell: Conviction gets Xbox One backwards compatibility I'll play the fuck out of it. I LOVED the main menu theme as well as the game, even though most bashed it.

On topic, I just bought Rainbow Six: Siege yesterday. Fun shit.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    It's taken numerous re-starts over the years but Suikoden finally clicked and I am about 3-4 hours in. There is something really pleasant and magical about the game, despite its age. Also it has to random chance based bullshit, but if you can look over that mid-90's JRPG design flaw there is a great story, fun battle system and interesting world to jump into. Plus I'm told its not very long.

I also played through That Dragon, Cancer.
    That is something that is definitely not a JRPG. Certain points had me in tears. Others were incredibly well done, with editing tricks you don't normally see in a 'game'. I say 'game' as there is bound to be some arsehole who would want to debate that is is more interactive fiction/point and click than a game. To that I would say, 'Okay, but that is being very reductive about what TD,C actually IS'. That said, with all its praise, other points fell a little flat with me as I struggled to relate, other parts burrowed deep into me and squeezed my feels gland (for context we lost my father in law to cancer last year, and my cousin's infant is currently undergoing chemo).
    I strongly recommend it for anyone who has been touched by cancer, or long term illnesses, and want to gain a little bit of, I don't know, empathy, context, appreciation, for those that have been chased by the things that can and will kill us. So that pretty much everyone, at some point.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Borderlands: The Handsome Collection. Borderlands 2 has to be some of the most fun I've had playing a video game since Portal 2. I love the art style and everything. I'm still near the beginning. Hopefully I can buy some good weapons soon.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburningreptile View Post
    Borderlands: The Handsome Collection. Borderlands 2 has to be some of the most fun I've had playing a video game since Portal 2. I love the art style and everything. I'm still near the beginning. Hopefully I can buy some good weapons soon.
    What system are you playing on?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    What system are you playing on?
    XBOX one. You can add me if you want. Madtitanthanos0

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburningreptile View Post
    XBOX one. You can add me if you want. Madtitanthanos0
    Sent you a friend request. I won't be around until Monday but I'm pretty sure I have some low level legendary weapons I can dupe for you if you want, and a metric shit-ton of stuff for level 50 and up.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Sent you a friend request. I won't be around until Monday but I'm pretty sure I have some low level legendary weapons I can dupe for you if you want, and a metric shit-ton of stuff for level 50 and up.
    Sweet, thanks! I'm currently only level 5. I'm using Krieg right now. He's great. Is there a favorite character for you to play as?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I played as Axton because I mainly played solo and the turret helped a lot. I never tried out Krieg

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    super metroid. holy shit, it's hard.

sooooo ahead of its time. i get to the last area on all these games (the original, part two, fusion -- ESPECIALLY fusion) and i just can't do it.

i blame the slippery classic controller on the wii.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Just bought Resident Evil 0 HD on Xbox One. Can't wait to dive in. Game looks amazing.

Been playing a ton of Rainbow Six: Siege. Shit is so addictive.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    super metroid. holy shit, it's hard.

sooooo ahead of its time. i get to the last area on all these games (the original, part two, fusion -- ESPECIALLY fusion) and i just can't do it.

i blame the slippery classic controller on the wii.
    i have played all of those games multiple times, and i whole-heartedly agree. i always had a hard time beating the original and super metroid as a kid, and it's just as hard as an adult. i also maintain that super metroid is one of the best games ever made, and the SNES was a perfect system with SO MANY good games.

i had never played Fusion until a few years ago, first on an emulator on my computer (which was a pain in the ass because i couldn't use a controller), and then on the WiiU. i like that it has the feel of super metroid, but it's a bit shorter definitely a bit harder. i always panic running away from SA-X.

have you played Other M? it's...kinda fun. but mostly it doesn't really feel like a metroid game. and the voice actress they got to play samus has less emotion than a cardboard box. she's a bounty hunter, not a robot. >.<

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just got a new 55" 4K ultra tv and Rise of the Tomb Raider looks by far the best out of any game I've played it on. Game is gorgeous

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    finally got a copy of Bioshock Infinity on amazon for like $15 and have been playing it for the last week.

it's...ok? i don't know. it doesn't feel like a bioshock game. it's not as fun. i feel like, rather than enjoying looting and exploring cool areas, i'm just drudging around, making sure i spot every tiny little thing. the story also isn't compelling in the same way, and the racism is making me really uncomfortable (i realize the writers/designers did it as a type of commentary, but it's still very in your face). i also don't like that you can only hold on to two weapons at a time, and so far i've barely been able to upgrade any of my vigors (despite being several hours into the game).

idunno, i miss rapture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed Bioshock Infinite. For me it goes: Bioshock 2>Bioshock Infinite>Bioshock. I was fine with the racism because it comes with the time period (even in an alternate reality) for me. I will say I wasn't proud of the fact that the ending kind of went over my head a little bit and I had to watch some youtube videos explaining it. I still need to play it again for my platinum so hopefully I won't be lost on anything next time around.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post

idunno, i miss rapture.
    you'd better fire up the DLC then!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    you'd better fire up the DLC then!
    yeah, i got the version that came with all the DLC, so i'm looking forward to playing that!

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Can you guys let me know what you think of this? i'm thinking pretty seriously about buying it. I've heard good things about the saint's row games. Batman, Red Dead. Is final fantasy X any good? what about the tom clancy games? Are the Ratchet and Clank games good?

Sony PlayStation 3 Slim 160 GB Console (CECH-2501A) with 26 Games. $189

The console is in very good condition and comes with 1 Sony Brand Dual Shock 3 controller, USB cable, power cable and a HDMI cable. The 26 games are: Ratchet & Clank All 4 One Ratchet & Clank A Crack in Time Ratchet & Clank Full Frontal Assault Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction The Last of US Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster Far Cry 3 Saints Row the Third Saints Row Gat Out of Hell Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Trilogy Singularity Sniper Elite V2 Need for Speed the Run Need for Speed Most Wanted Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Grand Theft Auto IV Brothers in Arms Batman Arkham Asylum NHL 14 Red Dead Redemption Battlefield 3 Facebreaker Tron Evolution Dark Void Killzone 3 Dead IslandEverything has been tested and works perfectly.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

What are you playing?

That's a real good list of games depending on the price. I liked FFX a lot and Need For Speed Hot Pursuit is tons of fun. Saint's Row The Third and Far Cry 3 are both a blast to play

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    About to start playing Xcom 2 as soon as it hits 11:00 pm.
    Been playing a bit of NFS: Most wanted (2012) since its free on origin.
    Not bad for a free game so far. I just wish the more interesting cars weren't lock behind DLC.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    The Witness. It's amazing. I love it. But it really isn't for everyone. At a reductionist level, it's like Myst crossed with a book of Sudoku puzzles, with the story coming from the Sudoku book.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Can you guys let me know what you think of this? i'm thinking pretty seriously about buying it. I've heard good things about the saint's row games. Batman, Red Dead. Is final fantasy X any good? what about the tom clancy games? Are the Ratchet and Clank games good?

Sony PlayStation 3 Slim 160 GB Console (CECH-2501A) with 26 Games. $189

The console is in very good condition and comes with 1 Sony Brand Dual Shock 3 controller, USB cable, power cable and a HDMI cable. The 26 games are: Ratchet & Clank All 4 One Ratchet & Clank A Crack in Time Ratchet & Clank Full Frontal Assault Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction The Last of US Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster Far Cry 3 Saints Row the Third Saints Row Gat Out of Hell Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Trilogy Singularity Sniper Elite V2 Need for Speed the Run Need for Speed Most Wanted Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Grand Theft Auto IV Brothers in Arms Batman Arkham Asylum NHL 14 Red Dead Redemption Battlefield 3 Facebreaker Tron Evolution Dark Void Killzone 3 Dead IslandEverything has been tested and works perfectly.
    ratchet & clank is one of my favorite game series, and that's a really good deal for all that stuff.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The Evil Within. It's pretty fun actually. Survival horror use to be my favorite video game genre. Nice to see a game like this come out.
    If you like survival horror or horror in general, what would your favorite be?

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    ratchet & clank is one of my favorite game series, and that's a really good deal for all that stuff.
    Sigh. I kind of regret not buying it now.
    I had misplaced some cash and thought that deal would bankrupt me. Then i found the damn cash. I had already bid on a console for $90 without the games and i was hoping i would be outbid, but sure enough, i won it.

Still, i'm thrilled. I'm pretty much strictly a retro gamer, so trying games of this quality is going to be pretty damn exciting.
    I ordered Heavy Rain, Arkham Asylum, Red Dead Redemption and The Last of Us.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Sigh. I kind of regret not buying it now.
    I had misplaced some cash and thought that deal would bankrupt me. Then i found the damn cash. I had already bid on a console for $90 without the games and i was hoping i would be outbid, but sure enough, i won it.

Still, i'm thrilled. I'm pretty much strictly a retro gamer, so trying games of this quality is going to be pretty damn exciting.
    I ordered Heavy Rain, Arkham Asylum, Red Dead Redemption and The Last of Us.
    well, if you can find any ratchet & clank games for cheap (i'd recommend Tools Of Destruction, personally) i'd get them. they're so fun and the humor is fantastic. there's actually a movie coming out this year based on the plot of the first game in the series.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Still trudging through Bloodborne. I'm pretty sure this game was made in hell.