Page 119 of 120 FirstFirst ... 19 69 109 117 118 119 120 LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,570 of 3584

Thread: What are you playing?

  1. #3541
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,490
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Huh, I also really liked Dust, so maybe there’s something unique just not clicking. I do promise there’s something great in Hollow Knight, and I think it’s “the best metroidvania game ever”

    But I don’t know... originally I felt the same, and everyone hyping it up to me was right, but they all also swear I’m wrong about Witcher 3, and I am done trying to give a shit with that game or company in general
    Ok... you all convinced me. I am going to download it again and start from scratch and see what happens. My last file was played in 2018 so maybe I will have a change of heart after finishing Blasphemous and Axiom Verge.

  2. #3542
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    10,426
    Mentioned
    501 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Ok... you all convinced me. I am going to download it again and start from scratch and see what happens. My last file was played in 2018 so maybe I will have a change of heart after finishing Blasphemous and Axiom Verge.
    also, please consider getting an 8-bit do SNES-style controller. i can't tell you how big of a difference it makes for platformers (especially hollow knight and celeste). the switch controller is really not great for d-pad stuff, and it feels so much more natural to use a proper d-pad than the four tiny buttons.

  3. #3543
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,490
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    also, please consider getting an 8-bit do SNES-style controller. i can't tell you how big of a difference it makes for platformers (especially hollow knight and celeste). the switch controller is really not great for d-pad stuff, and it feels so much more natural to use a proper d-pad than the four tiny buttons.
    I have one, but honestly the d-pads for modern controllers really do not bother me all that much; it really depends on the game. Cybershadow I could not stand using the duelsense for, but Blashphemous it works much better. I mainly use the older gamepads for older games, the new controllers really do not translate well for me when I am playing a Megaman collection or Contra... games like that. I may have to get a new one though, so thanks for bringing that up lol.

    And Celeste! Adding it to my list.

  4. #3544
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    10,426
    Mentioned
    501 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    I have one, but honestly the d-pads for modern controllers really do not bother me all that much; it really depends on the game. Cybershadow I could not stand using the duelsense for, but Blashphemous it works much better. I mainly use the older gamepads for older games, the new controllers really do not translate well for me when I am playing a Megaman collection or Contra... games like that. I may have to get a new one though, so thanks for bringing that up lol.

    And Celeste! Adding it to my list.
    i love celeste so much i have a tattoo from it - the feather (you'll understand once you play)

  5. #3545
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    7,329
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    So, first I played Metroid: Zero Mission, which is a remake of the OG. The NES game- it was so ambitious, what they were aiming for, but it was just short of fucking IMPOSSIBLE, and the physics weren't great. I had ONE friend in the eighties who stuck with it: he drew his own maps on graph paper and kept me up to date on his progress, for like NINE MONTHS.
    Zero Mission adds a map, some hints, a graphical overhaul, and upgrades the controls to Super Metroid standards. It really turns what I'd call a failed masterpiece into a damn fine, must play game for fans of the series.

    And THEN, there's Metroid Fusion. That one is, imho, no shit, PRETTY much on par with Super Metroid. I'm sad that it's almost over.

    Anyway, if you loved Super Metroid, make sure you play the two GBA titles, with your emulators, flash carts, virtual consoles, or however you can.

    I'm using an Anbernic R351P, and if you're a retro gaming fan who likes handhelds, you're missing the damn party if you don't have one of these heavenly devices.

  6. #3546
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    10,426
    Mentioned
    501 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    So, first I played Metroid: Zero Mission, which is a remake of the OG. The NES game- it was so ambitious, what they were aiming for, but it was just short of fucking IMPOSSIBLE, and the physics weren't great. I had ONE friend in the eighties who stuck with it: he drew his own maps on graph paper and kept me up to date on his progress, for like NINE MONTHS.
    Zero Mission adds a map, some hints, a graphical overhaul, and upgrades the controls to Super Metroid standards. It really turns what I'd call a failed masterpiece into a damn fine, must play game for fans of the series.

    And THEN, there's Metroid Fusion. That one is, imho, no shit, PRETTY much on par with Super Metroid. I'm sad that it's almost over.

    Anyway, if you loved Super Metroid, make sure you play the two GBA titles, with your emulators, flash carts, virtual consoles, or however you can.

    I'm using an Anbernic R351P, and if you're a retro gaming fan who likes handhelds, you're missing the damn party if you don't have one of these heavenly devices.
    zero mission and fusion are both absolutely incredible. i have them on the WiiU virtual console.

  7. #3547
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    7,329
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    So NBA2K21 is on Xbox Gamepass now, and, FUCK. It's COMPLICATED. I'm sure I can get decent at it eventually, but it's easily as deep as Tekken 7.

    It's INSANELY realistic, and the graphics and physics are unreal, BUT, that realism means that there are seventy or eighty movements you can make. I spent an hour in the tutorial and then lost my first game by 20 points.

  8. #3548
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,266
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    So NBA2K21 is on Xbox Gamepass now, and, FUCK. It's COMPLICATED. I'm sure I can get decent at it eventually, but it's easily as deep as Tekken 7.

    It's INSANELY realistic, and the graphics and physics are unreal, BUT, that realism means that there are seventy or eighty movements you can make. I spent an hour in the tutorial and then lost my first game by 20 points.
    Have you tried The Show 21 yet? You can make it just as complicated.

  9. #3549
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,266
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    zero mission and fusion are both absolutely incredible. i have them on the WiiU virtual console.
    I've been playing Samus Returns on my phone, but it keeps crashing (3DS game). I really like it, and I remember being addicted to Metroid 2 on the Gameboy when I was little.

  10. #3550
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    7,329
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    I've been playing Samus Returns on my phone, but it keeps crashing (3DS game). I really like it, and I remember being addicted to Metroid 2 on the Gameboy when I was little.
    I'm a basketball fanatic, not a baseball fan.

    Idk. I guess it'll just take time. I spent an hour in practice mode, and then tried a game, and lost by 20. I was only down by 6 or 8 for awhile, but then they turned up the heat. Maybe I need to just keep playing it.

    SO: have you heard of AM2R? If you want an updated Metroid 2, but your phone crashes on 3DS, try that one.

  11. #3551
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,266
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I'm a basketball fanatic, not a baseball fan.

    Idk. I guess it'll just take time. I spent an hour in practice mode, and then tried a game, and lost by 20. I was only down by 6 or 8 for awhile, but then they turned up the heat. Maybe I need to just keep playing it.

    SO: have you heard of AM2R? If you want an updated Metroid 2, but your phone crashes on 3DS, try that one.
    Sure have, I'd like to finish Samus Returns first so my brain doesn't get confused lol

    I'll have to finish it on my computer, I can do that through Moonlight...which works very very well.

  12. #3552
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    5,235
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Is there a reason to keep on collecting moons in Mario Odyssey? A few of them are impossible on the lite because there's no rumble. The sheep ones are horrid because you can't just pick the sheep up. the damn arrow shows up like you can do something but no you have to scare the sheep back to the pen.

  13. #3553
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,236
    Mentioned
    471 Post(s)
    I have tried to understand Minecraft... and I'm just going to say that I hate this video game.

  14. #3554
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    7,329
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Earthbound, for the first time, on my Anbernic. Good GOD I fell in love with it fast.


    BTW, I souped that motherfucker up. It's got about 3000 arcade games between Final Burn Neo and Mame, and all the best games for TWENTY THREE other emulators, including weird shit like Sega 32x and Turbo Grafix 16 CD.

    It's also got a great new firmware, and all the systems are optimized to resemble their original screen ratio and general look. These things are DOPE.

  15. #3555
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,157
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I have tried to understand Minecraft... and I'm just going to say that I hate this video game.
    It's not for everyone, at least you tried.

  16. #3556
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,236
    Mentioned
    471 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey_Draws View Post
    It's not for everyone, at least you tried.
    Is it really basically a kid's game that you can turn into a creative sandbox? I'm all for games that inspire creativity in younger players, and encourage them to think in unconventional ways, but... this feels especially mindless to me at the core, and it's just so ugly. It's unbelievable that this is basically the most popular game of all time, but yeah, ultimately whatever it is, it's not for me, and I've put in a good 10 hours of effort at this point. I feel that's enough.

    @elevenism make sure you check out the other games in the Mother (earthbound) series if they're on there too. They've been fan-translated into English.

  17. #3557
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    7,329
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Is it really basically a kid's game that you can turn into a creative sandbox? I'm all for games that inspire creativity in younger players, and encourage them to think in unconventional ways, but... this feels especially mindless to me at the core, and it's just so ugly. It's unbelievable that this is basically the most popular game of all time, but yeah, ultimately whatever it is, it's not for me, and I've put in a good 10 hours of effort at this point. I feel that's enough.

    @elevenism make sure you check out the other games in the Mother (earthbound) series if they're on there too. They've been fan-translated into English.
    I totally saw that: Mother 3, at starmen.net .

    I LOOOVE that when you get a new weapon, it says "do you wanna, like, equip it?"

  18. #3558
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,157
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Is it really basically a kid's game that you can turn into a creative sandbox? .
    Yes and No. It has a surprising amount of depth in it's crafting further down the line when trying to get to the ender dragon, but made in such a way that it's easy for kids to get into and older people to find something in it. Alot of it's popularity comes down to any machine can run it, and you can basically make it whatever you want (RP, battle royal, making a working Gameboy within it) but a lot of it does come from making what you want out of it, and that really can put people off. Personally It's my go to chill out game, and the visuals are fine for what i'm after which is basically trying to re-create castle grey skull...but it's an absolute time sink so i only play when i know i have weeks free.

  19. #3559
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    5,235
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    the best explanation I found for not liking Minecraft: there's nothing to do unless you want to do it so if you're used to games with a preset challenge then you're not going to like it.

    There's nothing wrong with that, I feel the same way. There's no "rescue the princess, Mario" to it unless you want there to be one.

    also if you think Minecraft doesn't look good, there's a mod for that.


  20. #3560
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,236
    Mentioned
    471 Post(s)
    I prefer Mario Maker.

    EDIT: and I guess I'm just old and out of touch. I wonder how I would have responded to a game like Minecraft when I was younger, but I remember playing it when it originally came out and I didn't get it then either. It's just not for me I guess.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 05-10-2021 at 05:57 PM.

  21. #3561
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    so I kinda was hooked heavy on Super Mario 3D World on Switch...I told myself I wouldn't star chase to get into the Bowswer's castle world but...here I am now, nearly done with the Sunflower world. However, I AM going to stop. I'm not a hardcore Mario player. I tend to play for fun and after watching that World of Warcraft walkthrough. That was good..thanks lol.

    trying to get back into Pokemon Sword...not even up to the 1st gym yet and..eh, it's not clicking for me.

    Luigi's Mansion 3 is fun but it seems like something I have to be in the "mood" for so to speak. maybe closer to Halloween would be better to play it.

    guess I'll start New Horizons today. Downloaded Stardew Valley which I plan on playing too. Who knows, maybe I'll enjoy it more than Animal Crossing.
    I had it just the other way round - Animal Crossing seemed a much better game than Stardew Valley. My opinion of course.

  22. #3562
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,312
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    since that post, I've been hooked on Animal Crossing lol

  23. #3563
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    los angeles, ca
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam Cooper View Post
    I had it just the other way round - Animal Crossing seemed a much better game than Stardew Valley. My opinion of course.
    agree with this. animal crossing appealed way more to me, too. i love the decor aspect of games like acnh so i was sold when i knew they had a lot of new furniture compared to previous games.

  24. #3564
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    79
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Mass Effect Legendary Edition. Even better than when I played it for the first time 14 years back. They did a great job remastering it; the perfect amount of modification without taking away what made it great.

  25. #3565
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    10,152
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artdeco View Post
    Mass Effect Legendary Edition. Even better than when I played it for the first time 14 years back. They did a great job remastering it; the perfect amount of modification without taking away what made it great.
    First game is buttery smooth but is still janky to play overall haha.

  26. #3566
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Holy shit, guys. Doom Eternal.

    It made me remember how to play Doom. Push forward. Slay demons.

    Other shooters aren’t like Doom. Other shooters, at least the comparatively few I’ve played, you most times die if you play it like that; being “aggressive”, or let’s say, “proactive”.

    But, damn, Doom Eternal makes that fun.

    Nice job, everybody at id.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  27. #3567
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,428
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Been sucked back into Hotline Miami 1 and 2, especially since I want to ace as many achievements on Steam as I'm able to. But damn that game is hard! But much like Doom you need to get into the flow and that's where those two games totally excel, once you nail it. Plus the soundtrack is to die for.

  28. #3568
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    5,235
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Been getting more moons in Odyssey and I still really hate that you have to basically scour the map for some of them. On top of that if you're playing on the lite it doesn't rumble so you can't do a lot of the "walk around until the controller vibrates" moons. I mean, if you connect a controller you can but that's not a good solution.

  29. #3569
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,498
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Just bought Spider-Man: Miles Morales because it's finally on sale ($10 off, so $43 after tax). Haven't played it yet, but I think I'm going to be sinking some time into that game this weekend. Also, I finally started playing the Avengers game I bought in November (also waited to get that on sale for $30) and it's not bad so far.

  30. #3570
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,312
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    ys origins on Switch. wanted a fun hack and slash game to play, fits the mold. kinda dipping my feet into Grandia Remastered on the Switch as well.

Posting Permissions