Thread: Rush

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    You can do a lot, in a lifetime...
    If you don't burn out too fast
    DING Ding ding ding ding.

You can make the most of the distance

Oh, dude, that song is so fucking gorgeous.
    Oh I know, especially the bridge section right before the lyrics you quoted. Like the build up with the bass, then swapping over to the synth and the drums and the guitar solo.

Damn I think I'm gonna go listen to it right now lol

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^DO-O-O-O-O-O-OG YEARS, with his tail between his ears

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Damn you all...

Hadn't played A Show of Hands in a quick minute and after the really shitty week I've had and some personal issues, I legit broke down and shed a tear during Marathon there at the end of Alex's solo while driving home from work... fuuuuuucccckkkk lol -- all good now haha

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Someone come get me from this festering hellhole https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratford,_Texas, and, drive me to where they are having this Rush cinema event. Please.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @SM Rollinger , every note of that solo is burned into my brain. Botley thinks the live video is an abomination, because it's trapped in the eighties (and, to be fair, I recently saw an interview with Ged from that time period, with THAT hairdo, and, yeah,) BUT:
    It is SO fucking magical for me. Throughout my early teenage years, a typical Saturday night involved me, my brother, and whoever was spending the night, watching either "A Show of Hands," or " The Song Remains the Same. " This went on for YEARS.

That music (and video) is SO special to me, and, I'm due to rewatch it.

Dreamline has always been the Rush song most likely to bring me to tears, and this started when I was about THIRTEEN, for some fucking reason. Of course, it's more poignant now. That being said, I could never handle Bravado. And, now that I have this RA, AND, Rush is no more, I can't fucking TOUCH Losing It.

As I'm sure I've stated before, Rush was my "favorite band" for a long, long time. NIN only eclipsed rush as I got into my early 20s, there were more NIN releases (well, The Fragile at least,) and, my fucking depression got darker, and I realized it wasn't going anywhere.

The way my state of mind is a lot of the time, I just can't get into Red Barchetta the way I did when I was a kid.

If it weren't for my mental (and now, physical) health issues, and, trouble with drugs and alcohol, I THINK I'd be on a Rush forum instead of here.

I still love them SO FUCKING MUCH, and, I WILL say they're my favorite BAND of all time, if we're using the NIN is "Trent Reznor" idea, and consider much of it to be a one man project.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck FUCK!!!

sorry admins. Please forgive this one. This is fucking heartbreaking. Rest In Peace good sir.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzburbank View Post
    Sucks, but so refreshing for someone famous to go out privately, and quietly, presumably on their own terms.
    He was fiercely guarded about himself to the public, not to the point of alienating people or attacking paparazzi, but it was refreshing that a guy so well-renown avoided fame as much as he could. Even to the point of not wanting to do autograph sessions and stuff like that. The part of the documentary I kind of identified with the most was when he said he never had the nerve to go up to his idols and bug them, because I feel the same about that too.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I hope they get someone like Danny Carey or Mike Portnoy for a tribute show of some kind for Neil. They're the only drummers that come to my mind that are comparable.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    What a shit week this has been.

At least we'll always have R40:

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    I hope they get someone like Danny Carey or Mike Portnoy for a tribute show of some kind for Neil. They're the only drummers that come to my mind that are comparable.
    A tribute concert for cancer benefits with the best “prog” drummers filling in would be something I could get behind.

RIP to a true legend.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

A post shared by on

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Really, really sad to hear, especially that he got so little healthy time after retirement to spend with his family. Must have felt like some kind of cruel joke to get the diagnosis.

A tribute concert would be wonderful if Alex and Geddy are on board, something like what Soundgarden did at the beginning of the year for Chris Cornell.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    It was a terrible week for Canadians. First we lost 57 people in a plane crash. Then we lost the best drummer of all time. RIP.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I thought this thing about Neil being gone had to be a hoax.

I feel like i've slipped into an alternate timeline. This shit just, does not compute, for me.

And while a tribute concert will likely happen, imho, it will be a cold comfort. DAMNIT I wish I'd seen them one last time.
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-11-2020 at 09:22 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Neil's personal remembrances of growing up in Southern Ontario: I think this was written in '94, but was just re-posted by the St. Catherine's Standard newspaper this week in memoriam.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Portnoy played a gig with one of his bands last week, they did "Tom Sawyer" and from what I saw on the IG story vids he posted he absolutely nailed the fills and everything.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quarantine jam:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah, that's a good quarantine jam, but here's a literal quarantine jam:

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I am pretty new to the world of Rush--had a few of their albums, but never really dived into their catalog. I just bought the three Sector Boxsets and am now exploring their body-of-work. I haven't made it past the first album, because I think it's awesome and am kind of stuck on it for the time being. I know that it doesn't represent their signature sound (sounding more like Cream and Zeppelin than classic Rush), but it's just such a great, well-written classic rock album, it's hard to move on past it. It's refreshing to me because I have listened to most of all the established classic rock albums to death, so this is a nice surprise.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    In honor of Neil a year after his passing, Rolling Stone published this exclusive article, featuring new interviews with Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Peart's wife among others, detailing the last years of his life.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    It was a really great, illuminating read, but also colossally sad. Nobody deserves cancer, of course, but it just feels especially cruel that it had to be Neil, literally a year after the three of them were finally alright with moving on. Just awful.

Hearing that Alex and Geddy won't even pick up their instruments was rough. I couldn't imagine having that feeling, man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That was heartbreaking. Hard to finish through tears.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    I am pretty new to the world of Rush--had a few of their albums, but never really dived into their catalog. I just bought the three Sector Boxsets and am now exploring their body-of-work. I haven't made it past the first album, because I think it's awesome and am kind of stuck on it for the time being. I know that it doesn't represent their signature sound (sounding more like Cream and Zeppelin than classic Rush), but it's just such a great, well-written classic rock album, it's hard to move on past it. It's refreshing to me because I have listened to most of all the established classic rock albums to death, so this is a nice surprise.

Jesus Christ, dude.

I just saw this.

Did you like the other nineteen?

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I'd be okay with that, as long as they still played "La Villa Strangiato" live. It's only some of the early lyrics that bug me, whereas the music on those albums is all pretty ace.
    So, let me get this straight, 2014 @botley . You'd wish Natural Science, Spirit of Radio, Cygnus X1, Cinderella Man, Closer to the Heart, Circumstances, Hemispheres, 2112, Bastille Day, etc, out of existence...and only save Strangiato?

Don't you supposed to be from Ontario?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Yeah, I was smoking something bad in 2014 apparently, dunno what exactly...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Jesus Christ, dude.

I just saw this.

Did you like the other nineteen?
    Why wouldn't I?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Why wouldn't I?
    Did you go ahead and buy The Studio Albums 1989–2007 box set too? And Clockwork Angels?