Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Rush

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Happy Bastille Day!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    A pertinent couplet from Roger Waters' Ça Ira: "Have a care if you treat your people like vermin / You could end up with bloodstained ermine"

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Did you go ahead and buy The Studio Albums 1989–2007 box set too? And Clockwork Angels?
    Had Clockwork Angels since 2012. I remember it was the year from new (final) releases from Rush, Van Halen, KISS and Aerosmith. Also got the '89-'07 set, working my way through everything.

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Had Clockwork Angels since 2012. I remember it was the year from new (final) releases from Rush, Van Halen, KISS and Aerosmith. Also got the '89-'07 set, working my way through everything.
    hell yeah. What are your favorites?

I like Permanent Waves, Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Moving Pictures, Counterparts, Hemispheres, A Farewell to Kings...I think those are my favorites.

It's sort of like Bowie in a way: they seemed to reinvent themselves from time to time.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    hell yeah. What are your favorites?

I like Permanent Waves, Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Moving Pictures, Counterparts, Hemispheres, A Farewell to Kings...I think those are my favorites.

It's sort of like Bowie in a way: they seemed to reinvent themselves from time to time.
    I'm way too much of a newbie to chime in. Moving Pictures is great. I was really taken with the debut too, even though that's not an essential Rush album.

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    I'm way too much of a newbie to chime in. Moving Pictures is great. I was really taken with the debut too, even though that's not an essential Rush album.
    they absolutely did reinvent themselves a few times. And maybe people don't call the debut "essential," and they were kind of aping Led Zeppelin at that point, but damn, did they come flying out of the gates with that DA da da da da.da. da da Weedly weeedly weedle weedle woo,.YEAAH, OH ,YEAH!
    OoH Said I, I'm coming out to get you, ooh sit down, I'm COmIN out to FIND you!

Ha. It's fucking great. If you really like the sound of that album, I think you'd like Best I.Can and Beneath, Between and Behind, and In The End, from Fly By Night, and then Bastille Day and Lakeside Park on Caress of Steel. Also, I Think I'm Going Bald on COS.

There's a lot of other great stuff on those records, and some stuff that foreshadows what was to.come with 2112, but those are the tunes, for me, that are really in the same ballpark as the debut. They're sort of tight, early hard rock songs, with that fiery sort of energy.
    Last edited by elevenism; 07-15-2021 at 02:00 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    RIP Mrs. Lee, thank you for inspiring your son and, by extension, all of us.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Les Claypool apparently working with/learning from Geddy Lee prior to the Primus-led Rush tribute tour that's starting up soon.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    This is nothing short of AMAZING!!!!!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Lerxst's new project with Andy Curran, and Maiah Wynne on lead vocals, is called "Envy of None". Definitely a different direction, which I daresay has some NINfluence? I guess there was a little bit of that already on his previous side-project band, Victor...

Last edited by botley; 01-24-2022 at 09:43 AM.

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    So I somehow didn't fucking know about this, but the Cinema Strangiato Director's Cut was available on demand in September.

I can't find it anywhere.

I think it's valid to ask, as it isn't for sale:

Did anyone record it? I REALLY want to see it.

It sort of bums me out that there's a (partially) new Rush thing that, first, wasn't showing within a 200 mile radius of where I live, and second, was available for a limited time online, but wasn't really advertised.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Happy 41st, Moving Pictures! Super Deluxe version due in April with newly mixed Live in YYZ 1981 concert and a Dolby Atmos remix for the original album. I'm stoked!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Excellent new write-up on the Envy of None project.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    The 40th anniversary of Moving Pictures sounds fantastic. Both the album & the concert.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Last edited by virushopper; 09-28-2022 at 01:36 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Well, this is an unexpected discovery:

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Feeling bullish on a potential Signals 40th (41st) anniversary set for next year, and particularly hopeful they have a great sounding full recording from the Insane Tempos '83 tour:

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I figured we would get 40th anniversary boxes at least through Hold Your Fire, and maybe all the way through the 90s albums too. Since Grace Under Pressure came out in 1984, they can get back on track with them being actual 40th anniversary boxes, too.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Fuck this is so great. Newly restored (silent) 8mm footage from the front row sync'ed with All the World's a Stage:

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    So, two things: first off, is everyone aware that Mr. Geddy Effin Lee wrote an autobiography, and it was released last month?
    It's called My Effin Life, AND, the audio version is read by a very special voice actor: Geddy Lee (with contributions from Lerxst. I shit you not).

Secondly, @botley , to continue a conversation we were having...last year, and see if any of my fellow Rush diehards know much about this, perhaps...there ARE, CLEARLY like, meticulously maintained and ostensibly, shared and traded live bootleg DVDs.

I've come across them on recent YouTube adventures. Like, I'm looking at a live Spirit of Radio that says Source: Rush "Parts In Motion" DVD (DR DVD-10987-8). I think DR 10987-8 means Direct Recording 10-9-1987, Track 8.

And, hell. Here's a BEAUTIFUL Closer to the Heart from "Casting Lots in Jacksonville" from 2-26-92.
    There's also apparently a DAMN good COUNTERPARTS TOUR (my first rush show) bootleg called The Big Apple Box (DR-DVD 3994-2) is Double Agent.
    There's a Test For Echo tour (I mean, SHIT) bootleg called "Coming Home-YYZed Volume 1"
    I'll stop; y'all've (how's THAT for some texas speak)? got the idea by now, obviously.

The ones I just listed are on a YouTube channel called Snowdog, btw, but there are more floating around. After my best friend of 30 years died a few weeks ago, I was curled up in the fetal position for days and wanted to listen to like, you know, Afterimage, The Garden, Bravado, Time Stand Still, Dreamline, Losing It...you know, cheerful stuff like that, so I could like, cry harder, I guess? But I wound up going down a rabbit hole that, FINALLY, after all these years, led to this revelation.

They've got NAMES and NUMBERS ffs. These people CLEARLY aren't fucking around.

So, having made a short story long, my question is this: how can WE get these?

Surely the Rush superfans who spend their time on the Rush forum...they have this stuff. Do we find one with dual fandom, and offer to show them all our cool NIN shit? Like, I DO have an account over there, but I don't use it, and I CERTAINLY don't have the balls to say "Good afternoon. My name is Eleven. Please to lay the live bootleg files on me."

I MUST have at LEAST the RTB, CP, and T4E films, as those have the best A/V quality, and there's got to be SOME way to get them.

Does anyone here already have an in, by chance? If not, can someone help me formulate a plan?

This here isn't actually live, but is it from one of the docs, or is it fan made? Also, go ahead and cry your eyes out, again.

And then HERE is a taste of these bootlegs, which, YEAH. Note how PROTECTIVE this dude is of this vid. Click "watch on YouTube."

Sound and video quality vary but, I especially wish to see/hear a bootleg of any show I ATTENDED, to "live it all again," as it were, as "experience slips away.'

Oh, and how about THIS insanity?

I HAVE seen one or two full shows: perhaps a YouTube premium subscription and a video ripping tool for those?
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-13-2023 at 05:20 PM.

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    @botley , you're a poor representative of Canada, eh, buddy?
    @Reznor2112 , are you still around?
    @henryeatscereal ?
    @virushopper ? @onthewall2983 ? @thevoid99 ? @Jon ?
    We need the entire NIN/Rush massive on this job.

We need an interloper.

I mean like, y'all, I found MULTICAM EDITS from the 90s.
    (this is T4E Night One)

Last edited by elevenism; 12-13-2023 at 05:34 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I totally get the excitement but, as we've talked about in PMs, not really my bag collecting bootlegs anymore. With two kids and creaking shelves I don't have the time for proper archiving/what-have-you. I DO still have a couple of silver-pressed NIN and Rolling Stones 'import' CDs (and a few fan-edited Blu-rays for those bands that I burned myself) but no Rush boots, sorry dude.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Feeling bullish on a potential Signals 40th (41st) anniversary set for next year, and particularly hopeful they have a great sounding full recording from the Insane Tempos '83 tour:

Well, that 40th set was a bit of a bust. Except for streaming the Dolby Atmos mix (which is admittedly pretty nice) I didn't even bother because there was no live stuff included.

Occasionally I still watch clips from this show (Montreal '83) when they were playing everything SO GODDAMN FAST; fuck me running... it's like 170 BPM, compared to the album tempo of 156. I haven't got to this part in Geddy's bio yet, but I imagine this has gotta be during 'the cocaine years' all those clickbait sites are saying he talks about.
    Last edited by botley; 12-14-2023 at 01:08 PM.

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    I totally get the excitement but, as we've talked about in PMs, not really my bag collecting bootlegs anymore. With two kids and creaking shelves I don't have the time for proper archiving/what-have-you. I DO still have a couple of silver-pressed NIN and Rolling Stones 'import' CDs (and a few fan-edited Blu-rays for those bands that I burned myself) but no Rush boots, sorry dude.
    DON'T YOU BULLSHIT ME. I know DAMN well they give out the Rush boots to everyone in Ontario.

Seriously, though: Ahhhh...i forgot that part. Also, i didn't think you HAD the boots: rather, i want help infiltrating the Rush "community" so as to GET them.
    I've been in a pretty damn dark place, and a STRANGE place.
    As far as the archiving and such, i do it with Plex. I'm HOPING to get my hands on DIGITAL versions of these things, and simply host them on my Plex server as, they clearly exist, and i don't know that i even HAVE a fucking DVD player.
    Also, dude, MOSTLY i just want the Counterparts and T4E, because those were the shows i saw: one Counterpart, 2 Tests For Echo.

ALSO, you know i don't really think you're a poor emissary of Canada, right?
    You deserve the Order of Canada, and to be an honorary member of...let's see...Bryan Adams, Justin JuDo, Justice Beiber, Boards of Canada, and Cross Canadian Ragweed.
    Jokes aside, i HOPE you know i WAS joking, (and, to a lesser extent, in one of my Famous Manic Phases).
    (furthermore, SURELY there's an ACTUAL Canadian punk/noise band called Justin JuDO at this point).
    @botley regarding the 40th sets, i'm just waiting for 2033, so i can replace my HS Counterparts shirts for my...fuck...FIFTY THIRD BIRTHDAY.
    Goddamnit, Rush.

So, ERBODY ELSE: i've found full shows. Shouldn't there be a way to just rip them from youtube? I know i can just watch them ON youtube, but, liek, although i don't give a FUCK about physical media anymore, i DO have a thing about "owning" or, more accurately, hosting and maintaining and having the ability to easily such things on/from the old PLEX server
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-14-2023 at 11:36 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Sorry boo, I CAN'T HEAR YOU. I AM CRANKING THE FUCKING BASS AND JAMMING TO THE NEW STONES ALBUM. The 'live edition' including the club gig they did in NYC this year.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    DON'T YOU BULLSHIT ME. I know DAMN well they give out the Rush boots to everyone in Ontario.

Seriously, though: Ahhhh...i forgot that part. Also, i didn't think you HAD the boots: rather, i want help infiltrating the Rush "community" so as to GET them.
    I've been in a pretty damn dark place, and a STRANGE place.
    As far as the archiving and such, i do it with Plex. I'm HOPING to get my hands on DIGITAL versions of these things, and simply host them on my Plex server as, they clearly exist, and i don't know that i even HAVE a fucking DVD player.
    Also, dude, MOSTLY i just want the Counterparts and T4E, because those were the shows i saw: one Counterpart, 2 Tests For Echo.

ALSO, you know i don't really think you're a poor emissary of Canada, right?
    You deserve the Order of Canada, and to be an honorary member of...let's see...Bryan Adams, Justin JuDo, Justice Beiber, Boards of Canada, and Cross Canadian Ragweed.
    Jokes aside, i HOPE you know i WAS joking, (and, to a lesser extent, in one of my Famous Manic Phases).
    (furthermore, SURELY there's an ACTUAL Canadian punk/noise band called Justin JuDO at this point).
    @botley regarding the 40th sets, i'm just waiting for 2033, so i can replace my HS Counterparts shirts for my...fuck...FIFTY THIRD BIRTHDAY.
    Goddamnit, Rush.

So, ERBODY ELSE: i've found full shows. Shouldn't there be a way to just rip them from youtube? I know i can just watch them ON youtube, but, liek, although i don't give a FUCK about physical media anymore, i DO have a thing about "owning" or, more accurately, hosting and maintaining and having the ability to easily such things on/from the old PLEX server
    Have you checked guitars101? There are lots of complete shows both in lossless & lossy. All eras. ATTENTION ALL PLANETS OF THE SOLAR FEDERATION. WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Goddamnit, Rush.
    Empty your PM inbox, I have a link for you.

Like, EXACTLY the thing you want, in one link.

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    Empty your PM inbox, I have a link for you.

Like, EXACTLY the thing you want, in one link.
    Oh, well, hot damn!