Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Rush

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    Just watched the blu-ray. It is amazing, and I can't believe I missed the tour. I should've travelled overseas or something.
    3 hours of pure happiness.
    I can't wait for this, looks amazing! Didn't see this tour either, but this should go some way to making up for that. See it's a popcorn maker this time round....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hope I can pick up the blu-ray this week. I saw them twice on this tour and it will make a nice souvenir.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Well, they deserve a year off. After all, they've accomplished so much in the past few years. Let 'em chill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A well deserved break indeed. I just ordered the CD and blu-ray, so I'm pumped to see that later this week. I've already given the concert a listen (Amazon's Auto-rip is a godsend), and it sounds incredible. They were really on top of their game for this tour.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I really like the guitar solo finale in "Bravado", it's a highlight on Roll the Bones and Alex nails it on the new live album.
    Last edited by botley; 02-05-2015 at 08:08 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Just saw this ad during the Olympics coverage. Fail!

Working Man for Wal-Mart

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Just saw this ad during the Olympics coverage. Fail!

Working Man for Wal-Mart
    I don't know, @botley . I think this is a case of Rush pulling a fast one on Wal-Mart. Think of the lyrics. Our hero "has no time for living" because he's "working all the time." He says "it seems to me i could live my life a lot better than i think i am."

Now consider Rush's love affair with Ayn Rand's philosophy. I don't know how much Rand you have read, (i'm guessing quite a bit because your vocabulary leads me to believe that you are very well read,) so you probably know that a major theme in Rush's music (as in Rand's writing) is the individual AGAINST the state, AGAINST the massive corporation. That is the meaning of the famous 2112 logo.
    Think of songs like the blatant individual selfishness of Anthem Consider 2112, which i'm sure you know is pretty much a rock-opera version of Ayn Rand's Anthem, in which the individual is brutally fucked over by the state.

Now Rush is still going strong. They are, i'm sure, in very little need of money.
    Wal-Mart is a nasty, massive corporation who has been accused of all kinds of abuses of its INDIVIDUAL workers.
    Working man is the LAST song a THINKING person would want to promote their company in the name of blue collar workers.
    Rush has always done whatever the hell they wanted. I don't believe for a SECOND that dirk, lerxst and pratt "sold out." to fucking Walmart.

I think this is just like Reagan using "Born in the USA" as the theme song for his re-election bid in '84. Seems that no one bothered to pay attention to the lyrics to the song other than the born in the usa part, which are quite a bit like working man, about a vietnam vet stuck working a shitty job at a refinery with no chance for a better life.

I think it's an irony thing to the trio rush, and they are laughing all the way to the bank.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)

Talking Now that THAT's Out of The WAy...My rush story

I knew there had to be some Rush fans here, so i was going to make a thread, but was happy to see that there already is one.
    Even the TRez man gushes love for Rush on their documentary Beyond the Lighted Stage.

I first discovered rush digging through my parents record crate as a child, and the obsession began. It started with A Farewell to Kings. The cover at once terrified and intrigued me, much as the video for wish would a couple of years later. I put it on and was blown away.
    Moving Pictures is what REALLy got me into them. As well as AFTK, my folks had that one, Caress of Steel, Fly By Night and 2112. There was a little shop at the flea market that sold used cassettes for 2 or 3 dollars where i used my allowance to buy signals, permanent waves, grace under pressure, hemispheres, RUSH, power windows, hold your fire, presto, and roll the bones. I also got the live ones...exit stage left, all the world's a stage and a show of hands.
    I was HOOKED. I worked my ass off learning to play the songs every day after school. And one day, something fucking amazing happened. I still remember where i was...i had gone out to eat with my parents at this short lived dallas buffet. And a NEW rush song came on the radio. It kicked ass...it was leaner and meaner than anything i'd ever heard them do. The song was stick it out, and the album was Counterparts. Needless to say, i had that shit on repeat in a big fucking hurry. And there was another thing...a concert! The year was 93, and it was my first arena show (i had seen Jesus Jones, The Allman Brothers, and Right Said Fred at six flags.) But this was fucking RUSH!
    I saw them on the Counterparts tour...my whole family went. I was 16 when test for echo came out (i skipped school to go get that one,) and old enough to drive myself to see them twice on that tour.
    In 98, i was thrilled by Different Stages. I thanked God for their comeback after Neal's tragedy. Vapor Trails was SO bad ass.
    But over the years, something curious happened. I found myself listening to them less and less...they were kind of a childhood obsession, i suppose. Don't get me wrong, i still ADORE them, but nowadays you will find me listening to more hip hop, or the trip-hop station on pandora.
    My fiancee and I got Clockwork angels when it came out, though, and listened to it about 50 times.
    I just saw the documentary. After that, we watched the Clockwork Angels Tour video 2 or 3 nights ago, and Ho..ly...shit, it was bad ass.

Ok, this is turning into a fucking essay so i better wrap it up. I can't believe these guys have still got it 40 years in...not that they can still drag their tired bodies out and play a nostalgia show, but that they are still fucking AMAZING. Better than ever! They are like a fine wine that has only gotten better with age.
    Nine Inch Nails is my favorite band of all time, yes.
    But the best band, in terms of technical virtuosity, in terms of longevity, in terms constantly reinventing themselves, and in terms of coming with it over and over and over again...is Rush.

Rush is the greatest rock band of all time. Not Zeppelin, not the Beatles, for CHRIST'S sake not Aerosmith...it's Rush.

Sorry for the essay, y'all! Thanks for reading it if you did.

PLEASE SHARE YOUR RUSH STORY!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I love Rush's music, but it took a while to come around. The quasi-political stuff in Peart's early lyrics is so naive and silly, it's almost unbelievable he's the same guy who wrote jaw-droppingly great words for tracks like "Limelight", "Entre Nous" and "Subdivisions". For my taste, they really started to hit a great stride with A Farewell to Kings, but even the albums after that are filled out with more than a few cringe-inducing clunkers (hello, "The Trees") where I reach for the skip-ahead button.

Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I think this is a case of Rush pulling a fast one on Wal-Mart. Think of the lyrics. Our hero "has no time for living" because he's "working all the time." He says "it seems to me i could live my life a lot better than i think i am."
    But isn't that sort of what Wal-Mart promises here? You CAN live your life better, if you SHOP HERE, because spending your money at Wal-Mart will not only make your hard-earned dollar stretch further, but you're now supporting your fellow (AMERICAN) Working Men! Excuse me while I gag. This seems to be a trend in American TV commercials now: even in the recent ad for cars starring Bob Dylan, which was just shown during the last Superbowl, he brags about how their domestic manufacture is still relevant. Has it really been that way since the heady Iacocca-revives-Chrysler days in the '80s? Do I even care? No, I don't, because I'm a Canadian who doesn't drive. Sorry Bob.

Now consider Rush's love affair with Ayn Rand's philosophy. I don't know how much Rand you have read, (i'm guessing quite a bit because your vocabulary leads me to believe that you are very well read,) so you probably know that a major theme in Rush's music (as in Rand's writing) is the individual AGAINST the state, AGAINST the massive corporation. That is the meaning of the famous 2112 logo.
    I've never read Rand, but I've read enough to know that not only are corporations NOT people, they're not states either (notwithstanding so many of these grandiose branding gimmicks bleeding into a kind of quasi-patriotism). It's amusing to me that Peart was able to adapt parts of Rand's work into something a little more playful, and not quite as heavy-handed as what I've gleaned from second-hand descriptions of the originals. That logo, as I see it, is a symbol of how the abstract, idealized, big-C Collective conflicts with the reality of a human individual's experience. There are, of course, some parallels here with the monopolization of culture that corporate influence wrought on globalized life in the 21st century. That's not what Peart wrote about, however... he was criticizing equality ("OUR STOCK IN TRADE!") as a dangerous ideal to seek, which is a straw man attack, at best, on the modern liberal state and not relevant at all to Wal-Mart. Corporations are the BIG winners in a Randian world of deregulated anti-state libertarianism.

Think of songs like the blatant individual selfishness of Anthem
    "Begging hands and bleeding hearts / Will only cry out for more". I mean, sure... fuck starving people. At least Peart wisely softened on this stance in his lyrics once he grew up a bit.

Wal-Mart is a nasty, massive corporation who has been accused of all kinds of abuses of its INDIVIDUAL workers.
    Working man is the LAST song a THINKING person would want to promote their company in the name of blue collar workers.
    Rush has always done whatever the hell they wanted. I don't believe for a SECOND that dirk, lerxst and pratt "sold out." to fucking Walmart.

I think this is just like Reagan using "Born in the USA" as the theme song for his re-election bid in '84. Seems that no one bothered to pay attention to the lyrics to the song other than the born in the usa part, which are quite a bit like working man, about a vietnam vet stuck working a shitty job at a refinery with no chance for a better life.

I think it's an irony thing to the trio rush, and they are laughing all the way to the bank.
    Maybe they find it funny. Maybe the ad agency even realized they were doing something cheeky when they pitched it to the Wal-Mart board of executives, who must have blindly said "great, Rush is popular right now, let's go with that"... none of that would make my stomach any less queasy about this actually happening and people seeing it on television.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    NEW Clockwork Angels comic issue 1 of 6 out today at your local store.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @botley , maybe i'm grasping at straws. i just can't fucking iMAGINE for the LIFE of me rush doing something that helps fucking walmart. i just can't. as far as mounting a philosophical argument to your relies, you're too smart and it's too early in the fucking morning.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    With so many Wal-Mart employees on food stamps (their call center employees are even trained to recommend that workers get on food stamps) , I find it very hard to believe that this is really what Ayn Rand had it mind.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    i swung from ayn rand ALL THE WAY to the left. i'm damn near a marxist. but i still think that the working man thing is a joke to rush. the song is about how shitty the "character" in the song 's life is. It's like the ad agency didn't pay attention to the lyrics other than "they call me the working man."

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)

Just watched the blu-ray. It is amazing, and I can't believe I missed the tour. I should've travelled overseas or something.
    3 hours of pure happiness.
    i just watched it too, and although it was fucking amazing, i think i'm gonna like the Time Machine video setlist better. I want to watch it right now but my bitch ass fiancee won't let me
    Are you really in to clockwork angels? it's 2112/hemispheres/year zero territory. i didn't even catch that even though i listened to the album A LOT. But that was when it came out. So as much as i loved the video, the clockwork angels set just didnt do it for me. I DO think it's bad ass that rush does whatever they want...like playing 75 percent of their new album. ive never seen any band do that.
    i;m gonna read the story of clockwork angels so i understand it more and then give the dvd another spin. I THINK it has something to do with those final fantasy looking airships...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Yes, I really like Clockwork Angels album. One of my most played album that year. The book is not that bad- but I just like the songs more than the lyrics.
    It does sound better when you can comprehend the story, though.
    But as you said, CA set << Moving Pictures Live + Freewill, Time Stand Still....and so on. Time Machine tour was great...

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Yes, I really like Clockwork Angels album. One of my most played album that year. The book is not that bad- but I just like the songs more than the lyrics.
    It does sound better when you can comprehend the story, though.
    But as you said, CA set << Moving Pictures Live + Freewill, Time Stand Still....and so on. Time Machine tour was great...
    There's a fucking BOOK?!?!?! is it like a novella, or like a booklet?
    I'm having a Rush revival in my life right now.
    Have you read Prat's Book? it's called ghost rider or something.

I really like clockwork angels too. I liberated it from wal-mart...oh sweet irony.
    But i took it out of the umm....what do you call it? The box or whatever?
    The bottom line is i just got the disk. I pit it in Lorien's car stereo and it was ALL we listened to for about a month.
    But then, we got hit with a massive shit storm...i had been on the run from probation, and i was planning to move toe TN with her.
    It's an insanely long fucked up story, but the bottom line is that i got caught and the car got impounded and...no more car, no more clockwork angels.
    Can you explain what the record is about, @poro765 ?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    There is a 300-page novel out there, based on the lyrics of Neil, written by Kevin Anderson IIRC.
    If you'll ever going to read it (I think I paid about $15 for a hardcover one), don't expect something big.
    Overall it's quite simplistic and somewhat unfinished. Could've been much better...
    (and I haven't read Ghost Rider yet. I was planning to read it since it came out, and it's 2014 now so... )

Well the book is about a boy named
    Owen Hardy, an apple farmer and the novel's hero, sets out on his journey to explore the opposite viewpoints of ultimate control and order (represented by The Watchmaker) and extreme chaos (represented by The Anarchist). The story is told at the end of his life's adventure, and we see his move from innocence (and unabashed optimism) to experience.
    I tried to write a short summary, but it's quite hard to write a book report in a foreign language...
    http://cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/albu...angels.php#LYR
    Maybe this could help. It'll be much better than hearing it from me

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    There is a 300-page novel out there, based on the lyrics of Neil, written by Kevin Anderson IIRC.
    If you'll ever going to read it (I think I paid about $15 for a hardcover one), don't expect something big.
    Overall it's quite simplistic and somewhat unfinished. Could've been much better...
    (and I haven't read Ghost Rider yet. I was planning to read it since it came out, and it's 2014 now so... )

Well the book is about a boy named

I tried to write a short summary, but it's quite hard to write a book report in a foreign language...
    http://cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/albu...angels.php#LYR
    Maybe this could help. It'll be much better than hearing it from me
    There is also a new comic rendition of the lyrics that was released this past Wednesday. Issue 1 of 6.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I saw a quote from Neil on another board in which he refers to the early albums:

"Those were the growing years. I often equate that to children's drawings on the refrigerator that hang around too long, you know?

I really wish they would just go away. I think we really started....wow, given my druthers, I would make our first album "Moving Pictures." I can't think of a single reason not to do that!"

Neil, you're fucking high.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I'd be okay with that, as long as they still played "La Villa Strangiato" live. It's only some of the early lyrics that bug me, whereas the music on those albums is all pretty ace.
    Last edited by botley; 07-18-2014 at 07:14 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Pre-order for November 17th release.

In celebration of the 40th anniversary of the release of Rush's eponymous debut album, R40 brings together live performances from each decade of the band's career and includes Rush In Rio, R30, Snakes & Arrows Live, Time Machine 2011: Live In Cleveland and Clockwork Angels Tour, plus a bonus disc of previously unseen live material stretching from 1974 to 2013.

The 6 Blu-ray discs are contained in a stunning 56 page hardback book measuring 305mm x 225mm with the discs contained in additional rigid insert pages. The book is filled with memorabilia and photographs documenting 40 years of Rush live in concert.

Pre-order for 17th November release.

Disc One - Rush In Rio:

1) Tom Sawyer
    2) Distant Early Warning
    3) New World Man
    4) Roll The Bones
    5) Earthshine
    6) YYZ
    7) The Pass
    8) Bravado
    9) The Big Money
    10) The Trees
    11) Freewill
    12) Closer To The Heart
    13) Natural Science
    14) One Little Victory
    15) Driven
    16) Ghost Rider
    17) Secret Touch
    18) Dreamline
    19) Red Sector A
    20) Leave That Thing Alone
    21) O Baterista
    22) Resist
    23) 2112
    24) Limelight
    25) La Villa Strangiato
    26) The Spirit Of Radio
    27) Encore Medley: By-Tor And The Snow Dog / Cygnus X-1 / Working Man

Bonus Features:

The Documentary - The Boys In Brazil

MX Multiangle versions of:
    (1) YYZ
    (2) O Baterista
    (3) La Villa Strangiato

Easter Eggs:
    (1) By-Tor And The Snow Dog animation
    (2) Anthem (1975 performance)

Sound Formats: Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Digital Stereo

Disc Two - R30:

1) R30 Overture (Finding My Way / Anthem / Bastille Day / A Passage To Bangkok / Cygnus X1 / Hemispheres)
    2) The Spirit Of Radio
    3) Force Ten
    4) Animate
    5) Subdivisions
    6) Earthshine
    7) Red Barchetta
    8) Roll The Bones
    9) Bravado
    10) YYZ
    11) The Trees
    12) The Seeker
    13) One Little Victory
    14) Tom Sawyer
    15) Dreamline
    16) Secret Touch
    17) Between The Wheels
    18) Mystic Rhythms
    19) Red Sector A
    20) Der Trommler
    21) Resist
    22) Heart Full Of Soul
    23) Medley: 2112 / La Villa Strangiato / By-Tor And The Snow Dog / Xanadu / Working Man
    24) Summertime Blues
    25) Crossroads
    26) Limelight

Bonus Features:

Interviews:
    (1) 1979 Hamilton, Ivor Wynne Stadium
    (2) 1981 Le Studio, Quebec
    (3) 1990 Artist Of The Decade
    (4) 1994 Juno Hall Of Fame Induction
    (5) 2002 Vapor Trails Tour

From the Anthem vault:
    (1) Fly By Night
    (2) Finding My Way (mpeg1 from Rock Concert)
    (3) In The Mood (mpeg1 from Rock Concert)
    (4) Circumstances
    (5) La Villa Strangiato
    (6) A Farewell To Kings
    (7) Xanadu
    (8) The Spirit Of Radio (Soundcheck 1979 Ivor Wynne Stadium)
    (9) Freewill (Toronto Rocks 2003)
    (10) Closer To The Heart (Canada For Asia 2005)

Easter Eggs:
    (1) Rush hits St John's (1988)
    (2) Alex Lifeson interview for Artist Of The Decade (1990)

Sound Formats: DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Digital Stereo

Disc Three - Snakes & Arrows Live:

1) Limelight
    2) Digital Man
    3) Entre Nous
    4) Mission
    5) Freewill
    6) The Main Monkey Business
    7) The Larger Bowl
    8) Secret Touch
    9) Circumstances
    10) Between The Wheels
    11) Dreamline
    12) Far Cry
    13) Workin' Them Angels
    14) Armor And Sword
    15) Spindrift
    16) The Way The Wind Blows
    17) Subdivisions
    18) Natural Science
    19) Witch Hunt
    20) Malignant Narcissism - De Slagwerker
    21) Hope
    22) Distant Early Warning
    23) The Spirit Of Radio
    24) Tom Sawyer
    25) One Little Victory
    26) A Passage To Bangkok
    27) YYZ

Bonus Features:

Oh, Atlanta! The Authorized Bootlegs:

(1) Ghost Of A Chance
    (2) Red Barchetta
    (3) The Trees
    (4) 2112 / The Temples Of Syrinx

Sound Formats: DTS-HD Master Audio, PCM Stereo

Disc Four - Time Machine 2011: Live In Cleveland:

1) The 'Real' History Of Rush Episode No.2 'Don't Be Rash'
    2) The Spirit Of Radio
    3) Time Stand Still
    4) Presto
    5) Stick It Out
    6) Workin' Them Angels
    7) Leave That Thing Alone
    8) Faithless
    9) BU2B
    10) Freewill
    11) Marathon
    12) Subdivisions
    13) The 'Real' History Of Rush Episode No.17 '...and Rock and Roll is my name'
    14) Tom Sawyer
    15) Red Barchetta
    16) YYZ
    17) Limelight
    18) The Camera Eye
    19) Witch Hunt
    20) Vital Signs
    21) Caravan
    22) Moto Perpetuo (featuring Love For Sale)
    23) O'Malley's Break
    24) Closer To The Heart
    25) 2112 Overture / The Temples Of Syrinx
    26) Far Cry
    27) La Villa Strangiato
    28) Working Man

Bonus Features:

Outtakes from The 'Real' History Of Rush Episode Episodes 2 & 17
    Tom Sawyer featuring the cast of The 'Real' History Of Rush Episode Episode 17
    Need Some Love live at Laura Secord Secondary School, 1974
    Anthem live from Passaic, New Jersey 1976

Disc Five - Clockwork Angels Tour:

1) Subdivisions
    2) The Big Money
    3) Force Ten
    4) Grand Designs
    5) The Body Electric
    6) Territories
    7) The Analog Kid
    8) Bravado
    9) Where's My Thing? / Here It Is!
    10) Far Cry
    11) Caravan
    12) Clockwork Angels
    13) The Anarchist
    14) Carnies
    15) The Wreckers
    16) Headlong Flight / Drumbastica
    17) Peke's Repose / Halo Effect
    18) Seven Cities Of Gold
    19) Wish Them Well
    20) The Garden
    21) Dreamline
    22) The Percussor (i) Binary Love Theme (ii) Steambanger's Ball
    23) Red Sector A
    24) YYZ
    25) The Spirit Of Radio
    26) Tom Sawyer
    27) 2112

Bonus Features:

Bonus tracks:

(1) Limelight (soundcheck recording)
    (2) Middletown Dreams
    (3) The Pass
    (4) Manhattan Project

Can't Stop Thinking Big (tour documentary) / Behind The Scenes (featuring Jay Baruchel) / Outtakes / Interview with Dwush / Family Goy / Family Sawyer / The Watchmaker / Office Of The Watchmaker

Disc Six - R40 Bonus Disc:

Laura Secord Secondary School 1974:

Tracklisting TBC

Capitol Theatre 1976:

1) Bastille Day
    2) Anthem
    3) Lakeside Park
    4) 2112
    5) Fly By Night/In The Mood

Lock and Key 1988

Molson Amphitheatre 1997:

1) Limelight
    2) Half the World
    3) Limbo
    4) Virtuality
    5) Nobody's Hero
    6) Test for Echo
    7) Leave That Thing Alone/Drum Solo
    8) 2112 (all seven parts)

I Still Love You Man 2011

Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Induction 2013

Probably doesn't sound too interesting to those with all of the discs already, but as I have none of this I'd certainly lay down the cash for it.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 09-12-2014 at 04:00 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I'm kinda late to the party, here, but just thought this should be clarified:

"Rush" wasn't into Ayn Rand.

PEART was into Ayn Rand.

FORTY YEARS AGO.

He's since grown up and is a "bleeding heart Libertarian".

See also: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capit..._Unknown_Ideal
    Last edited by allegro; 09-20-2014 at 12:40 AM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Probably doesn't sound too interesting to those with all of the discs already, but as I have none of this I'd certainly lay down the cash for it.
    Interesting move. There also appears to be a 10-disc DVD-only option for those who haven't upgraded (and as I remember, the Rush in Rio concert was only ever recorded in standard definition anyway). I like these deluxe sets, and since I'm into Blu-ray now, it gives me a chance to upgrade from my old copies. It's also a good thing they're finally reissuing the "Lock and Key" performance that was left off the remastered A Show of Hands DVD.

Plus it'll be nice to finally have a video version of the entire 2112 suite.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Plus I believe the R30 special features were left off the original Blu-ray, and only on the DVD version.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I'd buy it if it wasn't like a million god-damn dollars.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    I'd buy it if it wasn't like a million god-damn dollars.
    Uhmm ok. But I see $97.00 for a 6 disc blu ray box set (some of which have never been on blu), a shit ton of bonus features (some of which have never been on blu), a 52 page hardback book, and some misc memorabilia to be a
    FUCKING STEAL.

Considering most single disc blu rays now-a-days go for $20-$25 easy.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    That Capitol Theatre 1976 footage in the trailer sounds like a fuckin' barnstormer. I'm so ready.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)