120 Post(s)
    That's great news actually.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

US Abortion Bans

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dr-cait...d-rape-victim/

She has gotten numerous subpoenas because of consumer reports related to her involvement. It took me a minute to put it together because to me it’s so bizarre but basically she’s getting harassed because of what amounts to bad frivolous yelp reviews. I hope she wins so bad. This shit is fucking crazy.
    Last edited by Pillfred; 11-03-2022 at 04:20 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm shocked my home state (Kentucky) voted "No". I love my state, but unfortunately, we vote a lot of politicians into office that give no shits about the welfare of our citizens... and I'm not quite sure why!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    in actually shocking news:

South Carolina Supreme Court strikes down state abortion ban
    The South Carolina Supreme Court on Thursday struck down a ban on abortion after cardiac activity is detected — typically around six weeks — ruling the restriction violates the state constitution's right to privacy.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Lol

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    NC overrides the governor's veto and institutes a 12 week abortion ban. They were only able to have a veto-proof super majority in one of the houses of legislature (I forget which) b/c some disgusting pig traitor to her own gender switched parties a few weeks ago to become a Republican. I can only imagine what they gave her behind the scenes to do so, considering she represents a district that voted heavily for Biden in 2020. The state supreme court turned to a 5-2 Republican majority back in November, and they overturned THEIR OWN PREVIOUS RULING since then to re-introduce their heavily gerrymandered maps, so don't expect much to change here unless there is a massive movement at the ballot next year (which is def. possible).

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    France has some brilliant ideas on moving forward from this.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    so the Texas Supreme Court has blocked Mrs Cox's emergency abortion approval...

For anyone not following this, her pregnancy was diagnosed as non-viable, meaning that the child, if it should make it to term, would exist in a state of abject suffering for three or four days and then die. Ken Paxton, super dickhead and Texas AG, has said that if this woman gets an abortion, it will be an "irreparable loss" to the state of Texas. She was granted an emergency permission to get an abortion by a judge, but hey, here comes the Texas Attorney General...

Yep, this woman's life, autonomy, and physical health is being mandated (and assaulted) in order to pave the way for future Texas abortion-ban bullshit. She's not a human being to this asshole, she's a pesky speed bump, and he wants to set a precedent with enforcing this evangelical-pandering ban.
    Fuck this.

Ken Paxton should be forced to adopt the child should it make it to term. He should be forced to care for it while the child suffers and inevitably dies. Afterwards, he should be forced to look the mother in the eye and explain why what he did was justified.

Fuck misogynistic control-freaks, fuck evangelicals, fuck conflating church and state, fuck Ken Paxton, and while we're at it, fuck Texas. Forget "try that in a small town," try this shit in Los Angeles. You will burn.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    So Cox has now opted to get an abortion out of state. And guess what, you muppet bigot assholes? There’s NOTHING you can do about it. How’s that for precedent? The option will always be open. Come visit California. Visit Disneyland. Get an abortion.

your ban accomplishes nothing.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    your ban accomplishes nothing.
    In this case you're right, Ms. Cox has the means to go out of state and Paxton can do nothing but gnash his teeth. But this goes a long way to scare less fortunate women in the same situation. I agree with everything you said above above and Paxton deserves the absolute worst (and I cannot emphasize WORST enough) but the Texas ban does and will continue to put women's lives at risk, although thankfully not Cox.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    but the Texas ban does and will continue to put women's lives at risk,
    That's of course true, sadly, but it also stands as encouragement to not feel bullied or intimidated in any way by a fired-up AG or local law. California will never ban abortion, and that sort of asylum will always be available. And we're not the only state. We need to see Mrs Cox safely go to another state, get a safe abortion, come back home to Texas, and have nothing happen to her. No retribution or harassment, just sit and sulk and pisssss off Paxton. I want the schadenfreude. Inject his frustration straight into my veins.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    You know this is going to be yet another test of the Commerce Clause, and I don't put it past this court to deny it's application here.

Further, it wouldn't surprise me if they say, much like they did with Roe, "well this also applies to those uppity rulings of the past, eventually." but then I'm being negative af right now because I'm getting sick and cranky.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    so the Texas Supreme Court has blocked Mrs Cox's emergency abortion approval...

For anyone not following this, her pregnancy was diagnosed as non-viable, meaning that the child, if it should make it to term, would exist in a state of abject suffering for three or four days and then die. Ken Paxton, super dickhead and Texas AG, has said that if this woman gets an abortion, it will be an "irreparable loss" to the state of Texas. She was granted an emergency permission to get an abortion by a judge, but hey, here comes the Texas Attorney General...

Yep, this woman's life, autonomy, and physical health is being mandated (and assaulted) in order to pave the way for future Texas abortion-ban bullshit. She's not a human being to this asshole, she's a pesky speed bump, and he wants to set a precedent with enforcing this evangelical-pandering ban.
    Fuck this.

Ken Paxton should be forced to adopt the child should it make it to term. He should be forced to care for it while the child suffers and inevitably dies. Afterwards, he should be forced to look the mother in the eye and explain why what he did was justified.

Fuck misogynistic control-freaks, fuck evangelicals, fuck conflating church and state, fuck Ken Paxton, and while we're at it, fuck Texas. Forget "try that in a small town," try this shit in Los Angeles. You will burn.
    That's just cruel. Even the most adamant pro-lifer must see that.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/s/7uHH7nJ8MU

A great read, especially the "Fuck you Alito" parts.