Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Mortal Kombat - third film to be shot in Australia

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    What is Mortal Kombat to you? That's the question.
    Plain violence and fights, yes there's story, but it shouldn't be that complicated, in that regard, i wasn't dissapointed.

Fuck it, who's everyone favorite character? We can all agree that's a fun discussion.

Been a Smoke guy since 1995

I always liked Rain, for some reason...

Last edited by henryeatscereal; 05-01-2021 at 07:52 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Fuck it, who's everyone favorite character? We can all agree that's a fun discussion.
    Video games? Movies? Comics? Extracurricular lore?

Recent years it's been Erron Black.

From a legacy standpoint probably Reptile for the male characters and Mileena for the females.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Video games? Movies? Comics? Extracurricular lore?
    Everything! I can talk about MK for hours!

Erron is absolutely one of the best things to happen to the universe in ages. I love him to bits; MKX had a good new cast - I'm one of the few Ferra/Torr fans it seems, as I love me some Mad Max.

Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    yes there's story, but it shouldn't be that complicated
    It always has been though. There's barely a character from the first two games that at this point hasn't gone through some serious development. heck, the Mortal Kombat: Mythologies game manual had like seven pages of text detailing the fall of the Elder God Shinnok, the Shaolin, the Netherrealm, the history of the Lin Kuei and Shirai Ryu etc. And that was 1997! (You can read it all here)

Funny enough, I used to hate Rain. I saw him as "the one ninja too many", just a joke/homage to Prince. But I have to give them credit, they made him this entitled half-god smarmy jackass and really found a great character for him.
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 05-02-2021 at 12:34 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Everything! I can talk about MK for hours!

Erron is absolutely one of the best things to happen to the universe in ages. I love him to bits; MKX had a good new cast - I'm one of the few Ferra/Torr fans it seems, as I love me some Mad Max.

It always has been though. There's barely a character from the first two games that at this point hasn't gone through some serious development. heck, the Mortal Kombat: Mythologies game manual had like seven pages of text detailing the fall of the Elder God Shinnok, the Shaolin, the Netherrealm, the history of the Lin Kuei and Shirai Ryu etc. And that was 1997! (You can read it all here)

Funny enough, I used to hate Rain. I saw him as "the one ninja too many", just a joke/homage to Prince. But I have to give them credit, they made him this entitled half-god smarmy jackass and really found a great character for him.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    @Shadaloo - they did Rain so dirty in Annihilation. First they kill him after only a few seconds of screen time, then later in the film re-use his death fall as the same death scene for Baraka, lol at that film.

As for favourite character... to be as obscure as possible, I’ll say it’s a toss between Havik and Chameleon. Back in school in the 90’s I was obsessed with Baraka for some reason. Obsessed to the point of writing his name on my pencil case.
    Last edited by Erneuert; 05-02-2021 at 11:00 PM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Same! I don't like how the lore makes him a bitch though.. he loses almost every battle he is in. With his powers, it doesn't add up to me.
    I was watching a video recently that very briefly touched on a similarity between Ermac and Shao Kahn with them both having that same green, spiky projectile move. Does anyone know more about this?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I was watching a video recently that very briefly touched on a similarity between Ermac and Shao Kahn with them both having that same green, spiky projectile move. Does anyone know more about this?
    Well, It's a reuse of Shao Kahn's projectile, and it makes sense: Kahn is supposed to be a master of sorcery and the one who taught Shang Tsung everything he knows about the craft. Kahn's specials - his green spear and his spiky green ball - are projections of soul energy.

Ermac them/himselves is a composite being made up of thousands of souls of slain warriors, so it makes sense that he'd use it too - he's channeling his own soul energy.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Well, It's a reuse of Shao Kahn's projectile, and it makes sense: Kahn is supposed to be a master of sorcery and the one who taught Shang Tsung everything he knows about the craft. Kahn's specials - his green spear and his spiky green ball - are projections of soul energy.

Ermac them/himselves is a composite being made up of thousands of souls of slain warriors, so it makes sense that he'd use it too - he's channeling his own soul energy.
    They really thought of everything when coming up with the MK universe.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    https://mortalkombat.fandom.com/wiki/Ermac

Everything you need to know about Ermac. He is such an interesting character with crazy cool abilities, and I even remember the rumor of him being a obtained by a glitch in the game. The minute I saw him pop up in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3(Best old school MK game imo) I was hooked.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Error macro!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    https://mortalkombat.fandom.com/wiki/Ermac

Everything you need to know about Ermac. He is such an interesting character with crazy cool abilities, and I even remember the rumor of him being a obtained by a glitch in the game. The minute I saw him pop up in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3(Best old school MK game imo) I was hooked.
    He has that bad as tk slam! And then in mk 9 they gave him the toss, and in X he had one of the gnarliest fatalities. I really dig the hood and cloak thing they did with him.

Unfortunate that he's been largely relegated to a red shirt, but he occassionally gets actually major moments in the lore, like being the one to remove Jax's arms or, most recently, quietly turning out to be King Jarod, at some point.

Always a fun character to play, I like playing as zoners and Ermac, with those tk moves and his teleport can really frustrate people. In fighting games I stick to really one or two character so his disinclusion in 11 was a big factor in not sticking with that game.

But I've also loved Rain and Chameleon. Chameleon is super fun to play in Trilogy and a blast in Armageddon as well. If you know the moves of all those ninjas it can be very satisfying. Sad they haven't brought that gimmick forward in a while.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

woa, yes; i guess it is complicated...
    I dunno, i guess i always considered the story "secondary", but i do appreciate when they develop characters.
    Also the movie had me at the beginning, loved the Sub-Zero/Scorpion feud and it was the best fight by far.

I know Rain is kind of a pun/joke, but i always loved his powers and costume, and knowing it's a homage to Prince makes me love him even more!
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 05-04-2021 at 10:47 AM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    He has that bad as tk slam! And then in mk 9 they gave him the toss, and in X he had one of the gnarliest fatalities. I really dig the hood and cloak thing they did with him.

Unfortunate that he's been largely relegated to a red shirt, but he occassionally gets actually major moments in the lore, like being the one to remove Jax's arms or, most recently, quietly turning out to be King Jarod, at some point.

Always a fun character to play, I like playing as zoners and Ermac, with those tk moves and his teleport can really frustrate people. In fighting games I stick to really one or two character so his disinclusion in 11 was a big factor in not sticking with that game.

But I've also loved Rain and Chameleon. Chameleon is super fun to play in Trilogy and a blast in Armageddon as well. If you know the moves of all those ninjas it can be very satisfying. Sad they haven't brought that gimmick forward in a while.
    Yes... all of this .

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    HOLY JESUS, @Erneuert , you weren't kidding about the MK9 cut scenes working as a movie: and it's about 100 times better than the fucking new MOVIE movie. I watched it and thought, good GOD, why didn't they just fucking adapt THIS?

Remember where I am in my MK fandom: I was obsessed as a teenager, and continued playing Ultimate with my brother until I was about 21. I'm now 41, and missed everything after that, most of all, because I'd no one with whom to play. If you've got a brother that's a year apart, you can play 100 matches in a row and not get bored. I also mostly became a retro gamer. Edit: so, I'm mostly in the same boat as you, minus MK4.

So, imagine my delight, FINALLY finding a good, well rounded representation of something I was obsessed with from MK1 to 2001 or so.

But so, yeah. THAT was fucking incredible. It was exciting, it had a fuckton of lore, SO many characters were represented, it was funny, it had emotional weight, and I see what you guys mean about things NOT having to be like Legacy to work, (although I DO still think that a tv show somewhere between the vibe of legacy and the MK9 cut scenes is the way to go.)

I didn't read any comics or catch any more lore from 4-8, so the bits of retconning that I noticed were fine and fucking dandy.

THANKS for the tip.

Now ima watch X.
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-06-2021 at 07:11 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    As far as actually PLAYING the game, I played EVERY character on 1,2,3 and Ultimate, and was efficient with all of them.
    But, oh boy: I was a bad, bad man with Kabal in the nineties.

What has fucked fighting games up for me is people getting SO good at them. I mean, I thought I was fucking AWESOME at Ultimate, and I was...in my friend group.
    But then people figured out every little exploit on the game in competitive play, and players study THEM. I mean, they had to REMAKE Ultimate for completions, the PLAYERS, I mean, to fix what were BASICALLY game breaking glitches in the form of infinite combos and shit.

I first learned about this when I bought Tekken Tag for an old, used PS3 that I bought LATE in its life cycle. I was one of the top five players in my extended circle, on tekken 3, out of 40 or 50 of us. Anytime we had parties, the Tekken 3 was bumping, and we were GOOD at it...at least, we THOUGHT we were.
    So, anyway, A few years ago, I fire up that PS3 and get into online mode, into a space where, by now, only the REALLY.good players were still around, thinking I was about to wreck shop.

And I won maybe, ONE match?
    Local multiplayer is the way to go, for me, and I don't have anyone to play with.

I DID do ALRIGHT on Tekken 7 when it was on game pass, though.

Edit: ok, so this is extreme drift. Has this turned into a general MK thread, though?

If not, let me add this: let's hope.the sequel doesn't have so many plot holes and such, and they listen to the backlash of a lot of the fans instead of just the dollar.signs.
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-11-2021 at 03:40 AM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    lol at this film.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Man, so I decided to watch Annihilation and GOOD GOD why did I enjoy this movie when it originally came out? This movie below even late 90's WB standards...anyone else wanna relive this dumpster fire, HBO has you covered!

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    I had no idea this was a thing.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Sequel set to start filming in Australia in June. Will feature Baraka, Shao Kahn, Sindel, Kitana and Quan Chi. No mention of Johnny Cage yet.