Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: "Music From and Inspired By Natural Born Killers" vs "A Soundtrack for..."

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

"Music From and Inspired By Natural Born Killers" vs "A Soundtrack for..."

Back in 1994, the soundtrack to Natural Born Killers was released as "NATURAL BORN KILLERS A SOUNDTRACK FOR AN OLIVER STONE FILM." While some foreign releases (i.e. Germany) where issued as "NATURAL BORN KILLERS Music From and inspired By Natural Born Killers AN OLIVER STONE Film." The artwork is the same, but the CD titles are as I described. They even repeat at the bottom of the cover, each with it's own name. I'm not sure how many people are aware. I always wondered if the foreign release was an earlier name for the album, or if it was intentionally different, for some mysterious reason. When I had a chance, back in 1997 to ask Trent himself, he replied that it must have been a bootleg or something. I was surprised that he would not be aware of the 2 different titles to an album that he created. The foreign, alternately named soundtracks are legit, by the way. So maybe his memory wasn't so great in 1997? Anyone here know anything about this subject?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atomobile View Post
    Back in 1994, the soundtrack to Natural Born Killers was released as "NATURAL BORN KILLERS A SOUNDTRACK FOR AN OLIVER STONE FILM." While some foreign releases (i.e. Germany) where issued as "NATURAL BORN KILLERS Music From and inspired By Natural Born Killers AN OLIVER STONE Film." The artwork is the same, but the CD titles are as I described. They even repeat at the bottom of the cover, each with it's own name. I'm not sure how many people are aware. I always wondered if the foreign release was an earlier name for the album, or if it was intentionally different, for some mysterious reason. When I had a chance, back in 1997 to ask Trent himself, he replied that it must have been a bootleg or something. I was surprised that he would not be aware of the 2 different titles to an album that he created. The foreign, alternately named soundtracks are legit, by the way. So maybe his memory wasn't so great in 1997? Anyone here know anything about this subject?
    That's the first I've heard of it, but in any case I'd be very surprised if he had anything to do with the title or overall packaging at all. I'd assume all that was taken care of by the movie production studio, but I have no idea. Or if he was involved, perhaps he didn't work on the international releases.
    Last edited by Pyract; 05-06-2019 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Added more thoughts

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Actually Trent Reznor produced this album for his nothing records label. I'm sure he was very involved with every process in the making of this album. My theory is that the alternate "Music From..." title was an early one, and somehow a few foreign releases retained this. Maybe by mistake? I didn't see many of these back in 1994, and rarely seen them since. It looks like they shortened the title, as the alternate is a mouthful. I guess if Trent didn't remember 3 years later, what-really-happened might be lost to history....

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    I feel like it has something to do with the directors cut. They made a big deal about releasing it. I remember because there was a contest to have lunch with Oliver stone and Trent Reznor. You had to mail in a entry form. So I sent in a hundred and won a really big T-shirt.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    1994 US "A Soundtrack For..."

1994 DE "Music From And Inspired By..."

What was the circumstance of your 1997 query to TR? Anyhow, it looks like Gary Talpas designed the packaging for this release. The different versions were manufactured in their respective countries, so it's possible there was a legal issue w/r/t publishing rights that necessitated the title change.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    1994 US "A Soundtrack For..."

1994 DE "Music From And Inspired By..."

What was the circumstance of your 1997 query to TR? Anyhow, it looks like Gary Talpas designed the packaging for this release. The different versions were manufactured in their respective countries, so it's possible there was a legal issue w/r/t publishing rights that necessitated the title change.
    Germany relabelling a compilation album for copyright reasons? Sounds about right

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Germany relabelling a compilation album for copyright reasons? Sounds about right
    Perhaps there was some snag with the word "soundtrack", since the complete soundtrack is not on the CD?

BTW, if anybody here is interested, Peter Gabriel has just put out a new, longer edit of the song "Taboo" (without the film sound effects and dialogue, for the first time, I believe) on his soundtrack anthology album Rated PG. It's on streaming services and picture disc vinyl right now, but I think they said a CD and regular vinyl release were coming soon.
    Last edited by botley; 05-07-2019 at 11:55 AM.