Thread: Persecution of Religions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    02 Calling those of us that don’t give a fuck about what religion you practice bigots because we don’t want your religion to be our rules nor do we want to hear about it 24/7; especially this false narrative about Christians being oppressed in the US.
    But be careful about this, see. This is how these terrorists felt, then they took it to a REALLY extreme level.

I believe that is what @Jaguar is trying to say. And I agree. (He’s a Jew and I was raised Catholic, two of the groups that have been targeted by the KKK.)

I don’t think some of you have read the whole thread.

Not giving a fuck about what religion you practice is fine. That’s neutral. That’s allowing Jews to worship and live in peace, without fear of being shot in a Synagogue; which is what @Jaguar said.

Let’s read this exchange with intelligence and without anger or hostility:

(1) It's all religious absurdism in my opinion. To me, faith and spirituality are private things that you keep between yourself and your gods or whatever you feel connected to.

(2) Which is exactly the sort of anti-religious bigotry we've come to expect from too many non-religious. You seek to amputate our religious beings, so that we don't actually live it in our day to day lives.

I don’t see ANY hostility in (2). I see the Constitution’s freedom of religion, freedom to worship in a Synagogue without bring shot, freedom to worship in a Mosque without being bombed, freedom to practice your religion while also understanding the separation between church and state.

What I see in (1) is opinion, an opinion that perhaps relates to the “religion” in the title of the thread, BUT the title of the thread is “Persecution of Religion” which (1) comes pretty damned close to exhibiting, albeit perhaps unwittingly.

Sure, the OP was perhaps somewhat inartful in articulation, but I did not see it as particularly incendiary. The OP asked a question to start a thoughtful discussion.

The majority of the discussion has been about innocent worshippers being murdered trying to privately practice their religion.

The discussion included whether or not racism and nationalism also had a LOT to do with these church-burnings.

So, to come in here and say that getting rid of all religions (and to be secretly spiritual, e.g. in communist countries) would rid the world of religious persecution is not a logical or constructive suggestion, especially considering that the people who commit these acts of terror wish to rid the world of specific TYPES of religions that they - in their opinions - do not find acceptable.

Complaining of hearing about Jews 24/7 is exactly the thing that Unite the Right blasts on their web sites.

Complaining about Christians infiltrating society is exactly the thing that ISIS blasts in their propaganda.

There’s stuff we say that is inflammatory and we don’t even realize it. Put a bunch of inflamed people together (on 8chan) and they work each other up so much that a few compose manifestos and murder people.

Words and opinions, shared publicly, are powerful, and can be dangerous.

We all should stop seeing every damned thread as a confrontation or opportunity to get into the wrestling ring, and instead see it for an intelligent discussion.

I live in an area where my supermarket has a huge Kosher section and two Rabbis on staff, and a huge Passover or Rosh Hashanah section during each holiday. Many of our local restaurants are closed early on Friday and closed all day Saturday for Shabbat. It’s a minor inconvenience, much like businesses closed or open later on Sunday or closed on Christmas is a minor inconvenience for them. But we all live peaceably and respectfully together.

There’s an Israeli restaurant near me that’s great, I’d never eaten FRIES ON A SHWARMA until we went there.

This isn’t SOLELY religion; it’s culture. It’s a shared heritage.

See this.

When we asked Jews about what is and is not essential to their own sense of Jewishness, 73% say remembering the Holocaust is essential (including 76% of Jews by religion and 60% of Jews of no religion). Almost as many Jews, 69%, say leading an ethical and moral life is essential, and 56% cite working for social justice and equality; only 19% say observing Jewish law is essential.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-07-2019 at 01:55 PM.