Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Book Of Eli

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)

Book Of Eli

Sometimes, Atticus scores things without Trent.

And makes a fucking amazing score.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    anybody has the vinyl edition? interested in hearing bonus tracks

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I got the vinyl for xmas actually (I probably should've bought it for myself sooner, but poor). The bonus tracks are really good, very drawn out and wouldn't've worked on the album but are brilliant. Lots more of the mixtures of orchestra and synths that make the score better than TSN :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Would you mind pointing me to the best tracks on this score, i love the opening track but have trouble listening through the rest, maybe some starting points to get me more into it.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    The Purpose, The Passenger and Carnegie's Theme are my personal favourites, they're the most cinematic and escapist, to me. Amen is a very TR+AR track, if you want to get in from that angle however.

Oh, and you can't go wrong with a little visual aid:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Got to admit, love parts of the Book of Eli, but not the whole thing. Weirdly though, I put this and Inception (Hans Zimmer) on the same disc and had them playing for quite a while. After a time, I couldn't work out which song was off which soundtrack. Both are worth a listen. As for it being better than TSN...nah!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    It sucks that The Passenger remix is so rare - I had to rip the YouTube audio to get it a while back. It's fucking great, and of course the music video (directed by Atticus' brother-in-law I believe) is killer.

The Book of Eli score is really special, and I think I'm the only one of my brothers who doesn't prefer it to The Social Network (my eldest sibling prefers it to Dragon Tattoo as well!). Like simonn, I love parts of it, I just don't find it quite as memorable as TSN - which, for me, is elevated by the intent behind it, i.e. lots of electronics (no orchestra) representing technology anchored by a human component, which is the piano. Granted, the good stuff on Eli is brilliant, and certainly more textured, I'm just more moved and generally sucked in by certain moments on TSN (Gentle Hum... and Magnetic especially).

Somehow, I don't think I noticed Claudia's voice on "The Passenger" until today. "Safe" is another great one that I wish was longer. However, "Panoramic" and "The Journey" have to be 2 of the best things Atticus has ever done - so good! I find it very interesting that "Panoramic" and "Hand Covers Bruise" (which are essentially the main themes to their respective movies) are really just between 6 and 8 notes on top beautifully shaped noise, yet they work incredibly well because of that.

It's too bad there's so little info regarding the Eli score - if anyone knows of any interviews where Atticus talks about it, please post them.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    The video is by Atticus bro in law yeah - who also did HTDA's video (and a few commercial spots with Atticus doing the music that I have yet to get my hands on). The track is only on iTunes if I recall, which makes it a pain to get for those of us who don't have it!

As for interviews etc: http://bookofelimusic.com/ has a fair amount, as does the DVD/BD itself. There's a couple of podcasts on iTunes (again) with Atticus discussing it, but other than that coverage was a bit sparse, and there's next to nothing about Claudia Sarne's/Leo Ross' involvement in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I adore the soundtrack for the book of Eli. I love the music so much and was so familiar with it that by the time I actually saw the movie I was complete let down. I hated the movie. I thought the music was much more emotive then the visual counterpart. It left me closing my eyes at certain moments to let the score move me.
    I have to agree Panoramic and passages are two of the really standout moments on the soundtrack. Great night time driving music. I had NO idea of these bonus tracks...now my obsession is peeked.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    PM's incoming to everyone that's posted in this thread... if you don't need it then ignore

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I'm really glad someone created this thread… I've been meaning to for a while :-)

What I love about the Eli soundtrack is that it makes me feel more confident trying to hear Atticus' particular "voice" in the scores that he's done with TR. Whilst he's always seemingly relegated to second place when interviewed or written about, this really goes to show that he can stand on his own.

I'm not sure if the situation has improved but you didn't used to be able to buy the OST digitally outside of the US iTunes store, which was really stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    PM's incoming to everyone that's posted in this thread... if you don't need it then ignore
    If it's something other than the soundtrack, or the 4 bonus tracks that were on iTunes, please hit me up :-)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I'm not sure if the situation has improved but you didn't used to be able to buy the OST digitally outside of the US iTunes store, which was really stupid.
    USA Digital Versions (as far as I know)

Amazon.com:
    • Regular Edition (MP3) + Digital Booklet
    • Deluxe Edition (MP3) + 3 bonus tracks + Digital Booklet

iTunes US:
    • Regular Edition (M4A) + Digital Booklet
    • Deluxe Edition (M4A) + 4 bonus tracks (1 exclusive) + exclusive Digital Booklet

The digital booklet for the Regular Edition from iTunes does not say it's "exclusive", so it's probably the same as what Amazon.com has

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    could you please pm this to me too?
    thanks

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    i think i qualified for PM's incoming to everyone that's posted in this thread
    no big obligations, of course.

i definitely wasn't aware something illegal is going on, you can be sure they have my money in some form
    \/
    Last edited by BenAkenobi; 01-19-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure ASKING for copyrighted media is probably against board rules. If someone sends you it of course, you can't control that...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    What I love about the Eli soundtrack is that it makes me feel more confident trying to hear Atticus' particular "voice" in the scores that he's done with TR. Whilst he's always seemingly relegated to second place when interviewed or written about, this really goes to show that he can stand on his own.
    I feel the same way about The Eli Soundtrack.
    I do wish there were more interviews with Atticus on his perspective of composing.
    I think he is an amazing man, and definately would love to learn more about the way his mind works when creating.
    MORE ATTICUS PLEASE!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I'm pretty sure ASKING for copyrighted media is probably against board rules. If someone sends you it of course, you can't control that...
    sorry, guess I worded that poorly.
    I have purchased TBOE score and was merely asking to receive the message going to others which I assumed had some information pertaining to or supplementing said score. Didn't mean to make it sound like I was trying to pirate something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    damn...that passenger-remix is amazing! love it.

would love to get a PM as well...

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Adam Young (of Owl City) remixed Panoramic.

And it's actually ... not bad. https://soundcloud.com/adamyoungmusi...am-young-remix

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    I want a pm too ... another thing .... was there fucking Atticus in Bluray bonus ? i always wondered if it was him...

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    He's on some of the bonus stuff yeah - the music sections, naturally. I can't remember how extensive though.

Also, there's loads of clips on the BOE website

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    i love Atticus' work on this, especially the track Human
    an awesome example of how something can be simple yet extremely moving