Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Disney+

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Disney+

Probably deserving of its own thread with all the news that has been announced, the start date, $7 price point, new Marvel shows, etc. Ad-free service launching Nov 12, 2019 for $6.99/month or $69.99/year. Will likely bundle it with Hulu and ESPN+ in the future.

Last edited by october_midnight; 04-11-2019 at 08:54 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    They bundle Hulu with Spotify now. As for the Marvel shows announced so far, they were more like documentary shows about Marvel. Movies like Monsters Inc., The Sandlot, and Love, Simon are being turned into TV series. I read The Sandlot will have the original cast returning. The female version of High Fidelity movie turned TV series has been moved to Hulu instead of Disney+ because it is considered too adult for the family oriented content they're going for.

So far a lot of content seems to be very kiddish/young adult. Nothing so far is making want to drop more money on another streaming service.

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...ls-launch-date

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Nothing so far is making want to drop more money on another streaming service.
    Star. Wars.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Nothing so far is making want to drop more money on another streaming service.
    Disney Vault and all of The Simpsons.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Everything in 4k HDR too. It's super disruptive given the way market saturation has already hurt Netflix, Hulu and amazon

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Seeing Star Wars: A New Hope on there give me a new hope of a cleaned up theatrical release (not just the 1997 Special Edition). Either way, I've owned the DVDs and Blu-Rays for years, but having them all digitally would also be nice.

And yes, I'm very excited to see The Mandalorian and the new Marvel shows (Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch and Vision, Loki, The Falcon & the Winter Soldier).
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 04-11-2019 at 11:45 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I'd give it a shot. I'm actually considering cancelling some of my streaming options that I don't use enough, this might fill in a void w/ the random sort of crap I might feel inclined to consume, but not necessarily care enough about to own.

And if they put Star Wars cleaned up and unspecialized in this, boom.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Of all the streaming services i have (mainly anime) i might add this one just for the Star Wars and Marvel original shows (i'm not big on Disney animated, but i know 4 people who are and would likely love a password) though once i've caught up on the bits i want i'm not sure i'll keep it (once i caught up on the shows i wanted in Netflix i binned that)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I'm definitely jumping on-board for this one, new Marvel stuff always a plus, and all of The Simpsons and Star Wars movies too, plus Pixar? A very exciting prospect for a nice price.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Everything in 4k HDR too. It's super disruptive given the way market saturation has already hurt Netflix, Hulu and amazon
    I am one of those people who just keeps paying for Netflix even though the content is terrible in my opinion. I feel like their original content has been on a downward trend for a while now. Am I the only one?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Totally, their original conten is like 99% terrible and also clogs the lists so you can't find anything you actually want to watch. It's only a matter of time before that catches up to them

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    I am one of those people who just keeps paying for Netflix even though the content is terrible in my opinion. I feel like their original content has been on a downward trend for a while now. Am I the only one?
    You're not the only one...plus I'm now paying out the ass for 4K HDR on Netflix....like 16 bucks a month. $7 is a steal...but I bet they'll go the route of Netflix and hook everyone first, then raise it yearly by $1 or something.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    7 bucks a month is enticing enough to me to give it a spin for a month or two. I'm more interested in seeing how Hulu will benefit from this, possibly retaining the cancelled Marvel Netflix shows and in time I'm guessing becoming the home for 20th Century Fox's movies once it's existing deal with HBO runs out in 3 years. It went from having a terrible interface and not very interesting content to a powerhouse on it's own lately.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    What? Netflix has great original series. Stranger Things, Black Mirror, Mindhunter, The OA, A Series Of Unfortunate Events, and more. Their original movie's are ehh, but we do still have Scorsese's mob epic coming. Netflix have some of the best original series. Hulu has 1 good series, Amazon has zero. Netflix is the only one competing with HBO for shows. I'm sorry, but Netflix is not overprices. Even HBO is $15 per month and doesn't even have 4K. Can we stop turning movies into shows? Especially when you completely recast the show. I don't under the idea behind taking a good movie and then get a bunch of other people to play the same roles. Amazon pulled that crap with their horrible Zombieland and Hanna and it's happening more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Disney Vault and all of The Simpsons.
    I can live without watching another episode of The Simpsons for the rest of my life. Disney vault? As in their cartoons? I can pass. Star Wars and Marvel are getting boring after the same formula being regurgitated over and over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    Star. Wars.
    I'm sorry but watching old Star Wars movies is still not enough to continually pay a monthly fee. If you're a real Stsr Wars, you probably already own the movies in various versions. So now you're gonna pay a monthly fee to watch the same movie again. Hell I can throw an a certain app and watch Star Wars movies for free right now.

Again, Disney will just be making family oriented content, which thrilling. You won't get a show like Mindhunter on Disney+.
    Last edited by neorev; 04-12-2019 at 07:33 AM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    You won't get a show like Mindhunter on Disney+.
    And that's what Netflix and Hulu and Prime Video are for.

I'm a Marvel, Star Wars and NatGeo fan so this is a win for me and that price is excellent. I'll definitely get more out of it than a CBS All Access, for example.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    And that's what Netflix and Hulu and Prime Video are for.

I'm a Marvel, Star Wars and NatGeo fan so this is a win for me and that price is excellent. I'll definitely get more out of it than a CBS All Access, for example.
    Oh man, CBS All Access is a joke. That will implode. You should read the comments on the new Twilight Zone Facebook when people discovered you needed to pay for the streaming service. It was baaaaaad.

All of these streaming services, more and more each day, it will come back to bite us the consumer on our asses and we'll be longing for the day when we had what will become cheaper cable packages we all thought was overpriced compared to when multiple streaming services take over and all raise their prices on us and surpassing a cable package. Or too many streaming services will become unsustainable and they will all have to unite to create their streaming cable service to survive. They all begin to bundle with each other. For the price of $99.99, you will get HBO Go, Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Hulu, CBS All Access, etc.
    Last edited by neorev; 04-12-2019 at 07:42 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Some of these services will start falling sooner or later, we've already started having that with anime streaming (Daisuki and Veiwster are already dead, Amazons anime strike was binned (amazon continues to be trash at anime) and it's getting more splintered by the month...and it's just ONE GENRE OF MEDIA!) We have SO many new streaming services in the pipeline there's no way they'll all survive. Disney+ is the only one i can see lasting thanks to it's collection of existing content and growing catalogue, and people will always plump of Netflix as it was the original and still has some great ongoing shows, plus i can see them picking up the rights for shows caught out by some services dying.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I can live without watching another episode of The Simpsons for the rest of my life. Disney vault? As in their cartoons? I can pass. Star Wars and Marvel are getting boring after the same formula being regurgitated over and over and over again....

...Again, Disney will just be making family oriented content, which thrilling. You won't get a show like Mindhunter on Disney+.
    You are coming off as a very miserable person.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm not too excited about them getting all episodes of The Simpsons especially since FXX cropped older episodes to fit modern screens.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    FXX cropped older episodes to fit modern screens.
    I forgot they did that. That is a good point. Hopefully they allow you to choose between the originally broadcast 4:3 ratio and the cropped 16:9 widescreen.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    My question is: is it going to be available in Canada, and when? I've read somewhere that we'll get it only at the end of 2020.

If this is right, well, as Ian Malcolm so famously said: life will find a way. But when it does become available, I'll fork the 7 bucks a month for it.

In the mean time I'll keep binge watching NatGeo.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    You are coming off as a very miserable person.
    I just rather something new. So far everything Disney+ has announced seems to rely on an existing franchises. Hell, if desperate, there's so many books out there that can be turned into series or movies. But instead we get another Star Wars or we get a movie based on Zombieland. It's all sequels or reboots.
    Last edited by neorev; 04-12-2019 at 09:12 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I actually think the bubble will burst before long and this is actually the strongest sign yet, because of the pricing and the quality of the content.

I want to say complaints about Netflix have been piling on for a few years now. Yes they have a handful of very strong original shows and movies. That is totally true. But that represents the minority of the content they produce and now most of what they recommend is self produced content, so they're recommending stuff that might no interest at least me personally, almost 100% of the time. I have to go diggin to find something I want. Nevermind the the now rampant speculation about where the Marvel Shows will land. Netflix has hemhoragged quite a few of the better shows it had to Hulu: Sunny, Parks, 30 Rock (those are some of my favorites). So Hulu is actually decently positioned although their movie library is so bad as to be actually bizarre, that is changing a bit.

Netflix has another chief competitor in Prime, which comes as almost an extra to a service that is chiefly about something else. Prime has better movies than Hulu and decent originals, in fact I would say prime has debatably the best show "on TV" right now, Mrs. maisel. Prime probably has the most atrocious interface of the bunch. It's horrible. But you can tie the service to HBO which adds a lot of value. Criterion Channel has almost all of the art house stuff locked down.

But my point is, Netflix is already in a tough position and I don't think they even realize it. They have strong compeition and I think consumers are already feeling the market saturation and will cut something at the moment it feels expendable.

And this thing, Disney+, is all hits, in super high quality at a fraction of the price. If we're talking about an average household and they get one or two of these services, I think Netflix gets the Axe.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I'd only use it for original Star Wars content. I have no interest in anything else they have to offer and what does interest me I own on DVD/blu-ray.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    i'll keep torrenting everything under the sun and use my mom and brother's Netflix & Prime login's on occasion.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I love prime and it is the service I use the most. It has a lot of b movies/horror films/foreign films you wouldn't think would be on it.
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 04-13-2019 at 07:03 AM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    The answer is Plex.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    The answer is Plex.
    Best $75 I ever spent.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I'm not too excited about them getting all episodes of The Simpsons especially since FXX cropped older episodes to fit modern screens.
    Netflix did that with Malcolm in the Middle. Bad bad stupid decision.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Netflix did that with Malcolm in the Middle. Bad bad stupid decision.
    Malcom in the middle isn't cropped for widescreen. The problem is it ISN'T cropped for 4:3, which is why on the widescreen version, you can see errors on the side of the frame.