Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Results 151 to 179 of 179

Thread: Disney+

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    7,570
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    My girlfriend and her friend are two. Sounds like Mr Haysey right above me was another. So we just have to figure out who the other 12 are...
    well, good luck!

    the thing is, in my estimation, is that Disney is being 10 dollars too greedy here. If they asked for 20 people would do it

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,113
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I'll preface this by saying I am not in the target market(s) for this film however I can also say there isn't a single film title or subject where I would pay 1998 new release dvd prices for the chance TO RENT a movie to watch IN MY OWN HOUSE. On top of the monthly subscription price. This is a ridiculous pricing model. I'm not saying people won't pay it because they will but it's borderline exploitation. Want to release it early? Fine, sell it physically and digitally and add it to your sub service but don't act like this is an in-home theatrical release. Consumers should refuse to support this shit because give em an inch...

    And I say this as a Disney+ subscriber and the parent of a kid who will probably want to watch this at some point.
    Last edited by cdm; 08-05-2020 at 09:23 AM.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    602
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    I'll preface this by saying I am not in the target market(s) for this film however I can also say there isn't a single film title or subject where I would pay 1998 new release dvd prices for the chance TO RENT a movie to watch IN MY OWN HOUSE. On top of the monthly subscription price. This is a ridiculous pricing model. I'm not saying people won't pay it because they will but it's borderline exploitation. Want to release it early? Fine, sell it physically and digitally and add it to your sub service but don't act like this is an in-home theatrical release. Consumers should refuse to support this shit because give em an inch...
    This. $20-30 to watch something that deletes itself after 24 hours isn’t the move. That is the price point to own it.

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    411
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    I'll preface this by saying I am not in the target market(s) for this film however I can also say there isn't a single film title or subject where I would pay 1998 new release dvd prices for the chance TO RENT a movie to watch IN MY OWN HOUSE. On top of the monthly subscription price. This is a ridiculous pricing model. I'm not saying people won't pay it because they will but it's borderline exploitation. Want to release it early? Fine, sell it physically and digitally and add it to your sub service but don't act like this is an in-home theatrical release. Consumers should refuse to support this shit because give em an inch...

    And I say this as a Disney+ subscriber and the parent of a kid who will probably want to watch this at some point.
    i sort of view this as an alternative to going to the theater. Studios are obviously losing a ton of money on these films and there needs to be some avenue to turn a profit (specifically on these large budget films that were started prior to the COVID-19 situation). That price is less than it would be to bring my family to the theater to see this. Is it a comparable experience? No. Do I understand why studios are doing this? Yes.

    I totally get where people are coming from in that this is expensive to rent a movie. I also want to continue to see these types of films being produced. The upside is that these are planned to be released to the normal streaming platform so people can wait too.

    will I pay 29.99 for my kids to watch this “early?” Maybe. Will I pay 29.99 to watch a feature length Star Wars film? For sure!

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,113
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    i sort of view this as an alternative to going to the theater. Studios are obviously losing a ton of money on these films and there needs to be some avenue to turn a profit (specifically on these large budget films that were started prior to the COVID-19 situation). That price is less than it would be to bring my family to the theater to see this. Is it a comparable experience? No. Do I understand why studios are doing this? Yes.
    Don't get me wrong, I understand the why...I don't agree with the how. And to compare it to the price of going to the theater is comparing apples to oranges. In a theater you're selling the movie and the experience. I don't have stadium seating, a state-of-the-art surround system, nor a massive screen viewing experience. So of course it should be cheaper but it's only cheaper because you'll have more than two sets of eyes watching the movie. For the single person or couple wanting to watch this it's a wash at best, more expensive at worst, and a significantly lesser viewing experience.

    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    I also want to continue to see these types of films being produced. The upside is that these are planned to be released to the normal streaming platform so people can wait too.
    I also understand the the ever changing dynamics of the movie industry however if any company were positioned to absorb a financial loss due to a global pandemic it's Disney. I don't begrudge them for trying to salvage the project but this method ain't it, especially in this economic climate, IMO.

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    7,746
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    FWIW it's been confirmed that ordering Mulan will give you 'permanent access' to it as long as you remain a Disney+ subscriber.

  7. #157
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    3,748
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    My girlfriend and her friend are two. Sounds like Mr Haysey right above me was another. So we just have to figure out who the other 12 are...
    my wife is another. I don't know why. I mean yeah I know that Mulan is one of her favorite Disney movies ever and she even likes Mulan 2 but outside of that the live-action one is missing a lot of the key ingredients that made the OG movie good so why did they bother? It's not even a "live-action remake" at this point but instead a totally different version of the story of the person Mulan.

    No Mushu, no cow, and no cricket? no sale.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,113
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    FWIW it's been confirmed that ordering Mulan will give you 'permanent access' to it as long as you remain a Disney+ subscriber.
    This makes it a little bit better. Like I said, ultimately I'm not in the market for this but I really don't want to see this model catch on.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,968
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    No Mushu, no cow, and no cricket? no sale.

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    7,570
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    FWIW it's been confirmed that ordering Mulan will give you 'permanent access' to it as long as you remain a Disney+ subscriber.
    It's not worth much really... it'll be "free" on Disney+ anyway in a few months I'm sure.

    As far as the whole VoD option, I don't know. I did this w/ The Invisible Man. I paid 20 bucks to rent it... it was the novelty of it. I wanted to see if psychologically it felt "different" from just watching something I haven't seen on Netflix.

    I felt like a moron for renting Invisible Man for that much money, and I don't think any of that has to do with the fact that I just didn't think the movie was that great.

    With Mulan, I think Disney is really just saying "fuck it, let's see if we can squeeze a few extra dollars out of this before we throw it on Disney+"
    It wasn't a movie that people seemed really excited about. It wasn't Tenet or Top Gun.

    If they announced that Tenet was going to be VoD, 30 bucks, I'm sure a lot of people would just do it.

    One of the things that isn't really being looked at here though is at a $30 asking price, it's encouraging people to socialize and gather together and share the price and watch it together... and that was the whole reason we closed the movie theaters to begin with.

  11. #161
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    3,748
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    This makes it a little bit better. Like I said, ultimately I'm not in the market for this but I really don't want to see this model catch on.
    suddenly I am reminded of VHS rental market pricing where it was $99 and up for a movie. the difference there is that at least you got to keep the movie where here it's only yours for as long as you have an active sub.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    It's not worth much really... it'll be "free" on Disney+ anyway in a few months I'm sure.

    As far as the whole VoD option, I don't know. I did this w/ The Invisible Man. I paid 20 bucks to rent it... it was the novelty of it. I wanted to see if psychologically it felt "different" from just watching something I haven't seen on Netflix.

    I felt like a moron for renting Invisible Man for that much money, and I don't think any of that has to do with the fact that I just didn't think the movie was that great.

    With Mulan, I think Disney is really just saying "fuck it, let's see if we can squeeze a few extra dollars out of this before we throw it on Disney+"
    It wasn't a movie that people seemed really excited about. It wasn't Tenet or Top Gun.

    If they announced that Tenet was going to be VoD, 30 bucks, I'm sure a lot of people would just do it.

    One of the things that isn't really being looked at here though is at a $30 asking price, it's encouraging people to socialize and gather together and share the price and watch it together... and that was the whole reason we closed the movie theaters to begin with.
    my wife said "if we rent it we're going to make sure people are here to see it" so yeah.

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Peoria, Illinois
    Posts
    2,202
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I felt like a moron for renting Invisible Man for that much money, and I don't think any of that has to do with the fact that I just didn't think the movie was that great.
    I feel like a moron paying $4.25 a night for a new release from Family Video; anything over, say, $12.99 is beyond absurd.

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    7,570
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    The worst part of it is that these digital rentals are just as greedy as the RIAA was back when they were actively (unwittingly) encouraging piracy by implementing stupid concepts like copy protected mp3s that you can’t burn onto a CD... or if you bought a CD and put it in your computer it’ll auto install a root kit. That was REALLY NOT that long ago.

    This model always bothered me. I rented some movie on iTunes once and got interrupted by something more important... and it’s 24 hours later, your rental has expired even though I only watched the first fifteen minutes.

    if I have to call customer support to resolve this issue, your business model sucks. And sure, these people will always be greedy (at the behest of lawyers) and Disney isn’t going to stop Disneying any time soon... it just feels grossly exploitative to float this absurd high ball “offer” considering it really will centrally appeal to people losing their minds, desperate for any distraction because there’s a pandemic

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    3,977
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post

    No Mushu, no cow, and no cricket? no sale.
    My girlfriend named her cat Mushu. That's how obsessed she is with this movie, lol.

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,989
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Mr Haysey, let me introduce you to my good friend, F-Movies. https://fmovies.to/ You 2 will be best of friends, forever. I guarantee.



    My girlfriend and her friend are two. Sounds like Mr Haysey right above me was another. So we just have to figure out who the other 12 are...
    Appreciate the link, although my anti virus immediately started going mental and my PC crashed straight after (most likely not related as it's crashes all the time when i stream anything over 720p) kinda felt like a bad omen.

    In a slightly stranger move, i actually prefer to pay to watch stuff if i can. Coming from an anime community that is pirating anime to the brink of bankruptcy i really like to pay my own way in what i watch, and this being an all Asian cast i really wanted to show my appreciation for them trying it...but i feel like they've priced this out of most peoples reach just to test the waters. "Oh well it probably wasn't going to do well anyway, lets see how much we can get via VOD" kinda thing.

    I've spoken to a couple of families that were going to originally have a day at the cinema for this and both just said roughly the same thing "with everything else on their we're just not going to bother now"....and that's really upsetting

  16. #166
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,172
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    So... 60 bucks if I want to see these two films... Torrents still a thing, right?

    The sum of these two films almost adds up to the yearly cost for Disney+. Hahaa fuck that.

  17. #167
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Peoria, Illinois
    Posts
    2,202
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Coming from an anime community that is pirating anime to the brink of bankruptcy i really like to pay my own way in what i watch...
    This is actually a perfect example of what happens when you refuse to change your business model. 2-6 episodes of a show on VHS for $30, do you remember that? How about the same thing only on DVD? Wait, they're still doing that with Blu-ray? I know you watch way more anime than I do, but it wasn't piracy that's put them in this "situation", it's refusing to change your model.

  18. #168
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,138
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    sadly, I see this becoming the new norm on streaming services: you have a subscription, but you have to pay a premium to own certain films. if Disney is doing it with Mulan, they'll be doing it with other films....and places like Netflix, HBO Max, will probably follow (in time) .

  19. #169
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,989
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    This is actually a perfect example of what happens when you refuse to change your business model. 2-6 episodes of a show on VHS for $30, do you remember that? How about the same thing only on DVD? Wait, they're still doing that with Blu-ray? I know you watch way more anime than I do, but it wasn't piracy that's put them in this "situation", it's refusing to change your model.

    Yes and No. Without derailing this tread (i'll keep this brief) alot of super expensive VHS (and now blu-ray) aren't entirely down to not changing the model, it's that the licenses to distribute anime physically in the west are SO expensive they cannot change it. This can be put down to the Japanese model needing to be change (thats a whole other clusterfuck), but it's also down to fans in the west just out right demanding more and not wanting to pay for it. Take Crunchyroll, probably the most popular streaming service with the most shows, it's affordable (£5 a month for me for unlimited shows translated within hours!) and the anime community HATES it, because it allows non anime fans into their hobby and costs a fee. A large amount of older fans were big on fansubing, which was the only way to get most anime back in the 00's/90's, and it was free. When streaming came in anime became less a niche and the older fans hated this (gate keeping in anime is STRONG), and will still rather pay for a fan sub site like Kiss anime where the money goes nowhere toward the actual anime then give money to a streaming service that actually gives back to the industry. Just go anywhere on the socials with anime and you'll see "fans" shitting on official streaming services and praising Kiss anime sempai...it's not that anime is over priced, it's that most of the community in the west DON'T WANT to pay anything for something they have gotten used to getting for free!

    Even if most anime became affordable physically (i really wish it was) most of the community would still pirate, and damn anyone who tells them otherwise. The studio behind ikkitousen and Elfen Lied just went under and the general response in the community was "it's still on kiss anime lol"

    Anime is more affordable in streaming and accessible then ever (you can even watch alot of shows on CR for free with ads)...but most diehards still refuse to even pay/use it, that's why (and thanks to covid) it's on the brink! And don't get me started on how badly paid animators in Japan actually are, that's another cluster fuck for another thread! [/end of non Disney+ stuff]

  20. #170
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,778
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Disney is reorganizing itself, and making streaming it's "primary focus", which explains a lot regarding putting Soul on Plus.

    Hopefully they can put out the Beatles doc sooner. I'm surprised they rescheduled the theatrical release to next year instead of doing that anyway.

  21. #171
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    3,748
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Has anyone had luck getting Hulu and ESPN added to their D+ account? I already had a Hulu account so when I did the combo I just figured it would sort itself out and yet Hulu just charged me for a full month's price a couple days after D+ got theirs. I know I'm going to have to contact customer support, I just want to know how easy it should be. I did the suggested things on the website and nothing looked like it wasn't linked already so it's confusing.

    I saw a few places on reddit where this appears to be a 'common' thing. Not too happy right now.

  22. #172
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,578
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Has anyone had luck getting Hulu and ESPN added to their D+ account? I already had a Hulu account so when I did the combo I just figured it would sort itself out and yet Hulu just charged me for a full month's price a couple days after D+ got theirs. I know I'm going to have to contact customer support, I just want to know how easy it should be. I did the suggested things on the website and nothing looked like it wasn't linked already so it's confusing.

    I saw a few places on reddit where this appears to be a 'common' thing. Not too happy right now.
    If memory serves I just logged into those platforms using the same login info and was good to go.

  23. #173
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    3,748
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Oh I can log into everything just fine, I just want to be paying the bundle price, not the bundle price PLUS Hulu PLUS D+. Because I got the D+ three-year thing so that was paid a year ago and then I got Hulu this summer and then last month saw they were finally letting people bundle current accounts so did that even though I never watch ESPN because it was still cheaper than separate accounts. And yet they're billing me like I never bundled anything but also the bundle price.

  24. #174
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,778
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I tried that once. I don't have much use for ESPN unless there are new 30 For 30's out. I highly prefer Hulu now to watch the premium channels so I'm just more tempted to get it without ads.

    I am hearing rumors that they might have R-rated movies and television on Disney+ (with parental controls obviously). This may sound a bit redundant but it could be good for old Fox/Touchstone movies to be shown in 4K quality that haven't before.

  25. #175
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    7,746
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Whoa. Willow series officially greenlit starring Warwick Davis.

    Article.

  26. #176
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    3,748
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    As long as they either stay away from the books.
    In 2019–20, Shadow Moon featured on the podcast series 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back, which reads literature of low quality. The two hosts, Conor Lastowka and Michael J. Nelson, described it as the worst book they had read so far, even worse than Sean Penn's Bob Honey Who Just Do Stuff.[3]
    Don't get me wrong, there is an interesting story in the books it's just buried and Claremont wrote a very comic-y story that needed to be condensed.

    I mean also everyone from the movie dies in the first chapter except for Willow and Elora Danan. so, uh, spoilers I guess.

  27. #177
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    3,748
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)


    That was pretty good, actually. Some real deep-cut jokes as well as some definite pokes at themselves.

  28. #178
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    3,748
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Watched Noelle last night after Mando. You know how a trailer sometimes shows you the best parts of the movie? It holds true here. That said, there are lots of other good parts so it's not a total wash. It's a typical Christmas-in-Phoenix* movie but there's a lot of heart in it, oddly. I mean I can't explain why the scene where she started signing with the deaf girl made me tear up but it did. And you know, they set up a romantic relationship in a typical tropey fashion and then they don't push it and that's probably the best part of the film. They could have done the sappy "love conquers all" thing but they don't. Or at least it might have happened off-screen instead of in your face. Either way, interesting choice.

    There's only one scene that felt forced in the film, near the end. And Billy Eichner...this is the first thing I've seen him in. He's supposed to be funny I guess? Anyway there's a choice for his character near the end that I didn't follow at all and it didn't make a lick of story sense.



    *it was kind of funny how almost every scene had a different Phoenix sports team on the apparel. There are people who like all the teams I guess?

  29. #179
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,968
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    @allegate we watched it last year and loved it. it was fun and silly and it was really nice that it wasn't like THEY ARE IN LOVE NOW and it seemed more like they were just BFFs. not every story needs a romantic angle.

    i love billy eichner but i get that he's not for everyone. bill hader is great, too. but anna kendrick is really the star of the show.

Posting Permissions