Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Disney+

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Jesus they may wanna pace themselves here...

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    "Premier Access" needs to go away: Mulan was not worth $30.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Disney+ and other streaming services' prices to go up...
    https://www.nme.com/news/tv/streamin...o-rise-2838468
    Last edited by neorev; 12-14-2020 at 11:32 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Disney+ and other streaming services' prices to go up...
    https://www.nme.com/news/tv/streamin...o-rise-2838468
    A Disney+ increase was inevitable. I'm glad they waited until after the early adopter yearly subs renewed.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    A Disney+ increase was inevitable. I'm glad they waited until after the early adopter yearly subs renewed.
    I'm sure folks will complain about Netflix premium account going up to $18, but I still think that's a good deal for what you get. When I see people bashing music streaming services for charging more than $10, I think to myself how fucking greedy one must be for complaining about having the ability to play almost any song ever made any time you want in lossless/hi-res for $15 or $20 per month. You should see the shitstorm these streaming services get in the comments section because they have the audacity to charge over $10. It takes a lot of fucking money to make movies and shows. You're getting Hollywood level productions beamed straight to your home television. Sadly, the listener/viewer has become way too greedy.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    When I see people bashing music streaming services for charging more than $10, I think to myself how fucking greedy one must be for complaining about having the ability to play almost any song ever made any time you want in lossless/hi-res for $15 or $20 per month.
    This assumes any price increase goes straight to the artists, which it absolutely does not. For instance, would I be a bit miffed if Spotify announced a $2 increase while AppleMusic stays at $10 and there's no increase in royalties or additional benefits? Yeah, I probably would be.
    Last edited by cdm; 12-18-2020 at 09:04 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This assumes any price increase goes straight to the artists, which it absolutely does not. For instance, would I be a bit miffed if Spotify announced a $2 increase while AppleMusic stays at $10 and there's no increase in royalties or additional benefits? Yeah, I probably would be.
    People talk a lot about spotify not paying enough to artists. I read they paid something like $5BN last year. And I think it's always been something like 70% of the total revenue being paid out to rights holders. They have still never made a profit and continue to operate at a loss. I don't really want to be a huge spotify apologist, but I don't really know what more you could ask of them than to pay 70% of every dollar that comes in to rights holders. The top streamed artists on spotify make bank. In a way it's truly a more democratic system, just unfortunately people have shit taste. In the 90s if you bought a cd by some one hit wonder or even a mid sized band and only ever listened to the one radio track that pulled you in and then stuffed the cd in the drawer and never listened again, that was the same amount of money paid to the record company, rights holders, artist as if you bought the downward spiral and listened to it over and over all the way though for decades. An unfortunate side effect is smaller less popular artists don't get the big break as much, record cos don't take those chances like they once did. The model is different but there were plenty of problems with the old way too. I think the modern small and mid size artists are more able to reach a small audience that will come out to see them tour and earn a living. It's not a rock star living, it's just (hopefully) a living. Not that I don't consider pop music to be art, but but the big downside is that many artists who we would think of as more artistic don't get the same support they sometimes would have back then. I don't know if trent got a boatload of money to go make the fragile, but probably he did and that kind of thing only happens now for the very biggest artists. That's perhaps a downside to streaming, but it's always always been a miniscule amount of bands and artists who "make it," and I feel like there might be more today who get by making art and making a living than in the 70s or 90s, but that's just a feeling. I use spotify, but I also try to buy music and swag and concert tickets from artists I want to support. Go bandcamp Fridays. Anyway, this was a long way of saying I think if spotify increases their prices by 2 bucks, I'd hope it would still mean 70% gets paid out. Maybe not of course, they do seem to renegotiate their rates with specific labels fairly often.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by talkingnothing View Post
    People talk a lot about spotify not paying enough to artists. I read they paid something like $5BN last year.
    While you may be right on the total number I believe their pre-stream royalty is quite a bit lower than Amazon Premium Music and Apple Music. And full disclosure: I am a Spotify Fam subscriber.

Quote Originally Posted by talkingnothing View Post
    I use spotify, but I also try to buy music and swag and concert tickets from artists I want to support. Go bandcamp Fridays. Anyway, this was a long way of saying I think if spotify increases their prices by 2 bucks, I'd hope it would still mean 70% gets paid out. Maybe not of course, they do seem to renegotiate their rates with specific labels fairly often.
    I do this, too, as much as I can. Sometimes double-dipping on bands like NIN...digital / physical / whatever else. Bandcamp when applicable. But I do realize we're probably in the minority when it comes to those spending habits.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Sorry, I know we're way off topic here, should be over in a music streaming thread, but these things are somewhat related. The trouble with talking about per stream payouts is subscribers don't pay per listen, but per month. If your average apple or amazon listener listens to 40 songs per month and your average spotify listener listens to 80 songs per month (made up numbers here for illustration) then the payout per stream for apple and amazon will be much more. Obviously I don't have all the answers, there are countless factors that make up this topic and I don't really know if the streaming model is more fair or less fair to most artists. When people say the streamers need to pay artists more... Of course that sounds right, but you have to deal with what it costs to deliver, what consumers are willing to pay, what labels and other non-performing rights holders take off the top of the payouts... It's a very complicated equation.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Wes Anderson's Isle of Dogs premieres on + Friday

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Wes Anderson's Isle of Dogs premieres on + Friday
    i tried to watch that a while ago and the whole beginning just made me so sad that i only got about 5 minutes in and gave up on it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    All 5 seasons of The Muppet Show are coming to D+ next month! Finally a reason to actually use my D+ account again!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    All 5 seasons of The Muppet Show are coming to D+ next month! Finally a reason to actually use my D+ account again!
    I'm still annoyed they didn't put the last two seasons on DVD.... and watch out for Elton John packing heat...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i have them all downloaded but a lot of them are in questionable quality so i'm VERY excited for this. i grew up watching reruns constantly.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I'm looking forward to The Muppets! Never watched the original series, just the movies.

Been on a bit of a Jim Henson kick recently, and after watching Labyrinth on Saturday evening followed by Wandavision on D+, I saw 'Earth To Ned' on my screen underneath the icon I was on. I decided to give it a whirl and it was wonderful! A late night chat show themed program with an alien and his sidekick, all done by The Jim Henson Company with guest stars on each episode. Really fun to watch, light hearted stuff.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The 3 year upfront subscription was apparently a good decision.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I just wish I could figure out what the issue is with Hulu and my D+ sub. I did the three-year thing and then they said "hey for like $3 more you can have the bundle!!" and yet I'm still paying for Hulu and if I try to stop payment it says "if you do this you'll lose the bundle". wtf.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    WandaVision
    Some dude took screen captures of all the clocks in the show.

Huh.

Watched the first three eps last night and I really like what they're doing. It's dark and the laugh track that plays is just right. I know as the shows get more current that'll eventually go away but it just worked so well to highlight what they're trying to do. I know it isn't working for everyone - I've seen enough critics say they don't like it - but to me it fits what they're doing.

The show really feels like one of those where you watch the whole thing and then start it over to see what you missed once you have all of the episodes available.

The only thing I don't like about the show is the credits. They are so good! the way they take the LED colors and shape to make all that pop, it's masterful. But they're also at the end of the show and way too long. Like, holy cow, everyone doesn't need their own screen for their name, nor does it need to go on for so long. You have to fast forward a lot for D+ to realize you actually watched the episode.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    ^^^ The end credits remind me of a Tobey Maguire Spiderman movie lol.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    yes, that's a great comparison. lots of moving parts.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Last edited by october_midnight; 02-24-2021 at 11:35 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Looking at the SW date, that should have been pretty obvious in hindsight.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Just got an email that the price is going up a dollar...
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 02-28-2021 at 05:23 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Oh man, this sounds awesome.

also, unrelated:

Last edited by allegate; 05-07-2021 at 12:28 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Well, finally signed up and started to watch WandaVision (delightful acting by everyone, simply delightful *contented sigh*... I hope nothing bad happens............. )

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I mean, OK? I'm in but what a weird concept. I like the idea of them expanding their movie franchises though.
    In July 2014, the film's distribution rights were purchased by DreamWorks Animation from Paramount Pictures and transferred to 20th Century Fox;[32] the rights are now owned by Universal Pictures.
    sadly they don't own Megamind though, that's one that I would like to see more of.
    In July 2014, the film's distribution rights were purchased by DreamWorks Animation from Paramount Pictures and transferred to 20th Century Fox; the rights are now owned by Universal Pictures.
    Same for Monsters vs. Aliens. Universal is putting out some bad movies when they have the rights to good ones, so weird.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Monsters Inc is one of my top favorite Disney/Pixar films. I am so excited for this.

Give us a Boo cameo, damnit.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Disney is going bonkers for Disney+ Day. Trailers for a new Ice Age movie, new Cars movie, Obi-Wan Kenobi featurette, new series 'Echo', Willow tv series...sheesh. On the Marvel side, a new Spider-Man series, and some new title cards:

edit: Just start here, the official tweet thread: https://twitter.com/disneyplus/statu...55486293434373
    Last edited by october_midnight; 11-12-2021 at 10:48 AM.