Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Lil Nas X samples 34 Ghosts IV - Old Town Road

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I was listening to Ghosts again today. One of the best NIN albums still. Funny that one of the tracks turned up this way.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diptych View Post
    I was listening to Ghosts again today. One of the best NIN albums still. Funny that one of the tracks turned up this way.
    I think it's kind of fun to sing the "Old Town Road" hook over Every. Single. Ghosts. Track...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I think it's kind of fun to sing the "Old Town Road" hook over Every. Single. Ghosts. Track...
    Record it or it didn't happen. :-)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I hope it gets the record and I feel like it will, just because it's been utterly unstoppable. It's created an unpassable ceiling for singles that would otherwise go straight to #1 over the past few months and it's hilarious to see the artists who've failed to make it during this stretch.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gorast View Post
    I hope it gets the record and I feel like it will, just because it's been utterly unstoppable. It's created an unpassable ceiling for singles that would otherwise go straight to #1 over the past few months and it's hilarious to see the artists who've failed to make it during this stretch.
    Ugh, Ed Sheeran has released this ‘collaborations’ album and I will be SO pissed off if any of the songs deny Old Town Road it’s record

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diptych View Post
    Record it or it didn't happen. :-)
    Don't you dare me to do something, because I will fucking do it! This is a straight-through recording of me singing along to my vinyl copy, I just edited out the bits where I picked the needle up to drop it on the next track and added some reverb/compression. Now, picture this going on for the entire length of the album and you can see why my co-workers hate me.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Ugh, Ed Sheeran has released this ‘collaborations’ album and I will be SO pissed off if any of the songs deny Old Town Road it’s record
    He doesn't have a chance in 2 weeks. The Sheeran/Bieber single dropped down to #6 this past ranking.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Don't you dare me to do something, because I will fucking do it! This is a straight-through recording of me singing along to my vinyl copy, I just edited out the bits where I picked the needle up to drop it on the next track and added some reverb/compression. Now, picture this going on for the entire length of the album and you can see why my co-workers hate me.
    You are an absolute madman. I love it.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Better(?) than Strobe Light.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thebang View Post
    better(?) than strobe light.
    blasphemy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Old Town Road is officially tied for longest-running number 1 hit! Is anyone with a Spotify or something willing to stream the crap out of this just to make sure Justin Bieber doesn't stop it from officially breaking the record?
    https://www.npr.org/2019/07/22/74412...t-time-at-no-1

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Lil Nas teams with K-Pop for Seoul Town Road. Hope this makes it a record!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffben...-chart-record/

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    So I'm not sure how all this works: do streams count towards this record, or just radio play? Because I will literally make a spotify playlist of all the Old Town Roads and just loop those motherfuckers all week on repeat (with my sound turned off because I don't actually care for the songs,lol) to make this happen.

This whole thing is too funny to me, and I'm willing to do my part.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    So I'm not sure how all this works: do streams count towards this record, or just radio play? Because I will literally make a spotify playlist of all the Old Town Roads and just loop those motherfuckers all week on repeat (with my sound turned off because I don't actually care for the songs,lol) to make this happen.

This whole thing is too funny to me, and I'm willing to do my part.
    i wish I could help, but I’m UK and won’t make a difference!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It's official! OTR is the longest-running number 1 hit! It helps that the song is short, which allows room for more streams per day.
    https://www.npr.org/2019/07/29/74620...-chart-history

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    If you have to get this on vinyl...

https://www.merchbar.com/r-b-hiphop-...ingle-download

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmitchell86 View Post
    If you have to get this on vinyl...

https://www.merchbar.com/r-b-hiphop-...ingle-download
    I'll buy it on vinyl when it shows up on nin.com. :-D
    Last edited by m0reta; 08-04-2019 at 11:03 PM. Reason: splln

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Really warmed up to that song actually and it made me go back and revisit ghosts in its entirety.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_Nicholas View Post
    It's official! OTR is the longest-running number 1 hit! It helps that the song is short, which allows room for more streams per day.
    https://www.npr.org/2019/07/29/74620...-chart-history
    Man, if someone could go back in time to when Trent, Atticus, and co. were doing their experimental jam sessions that would become the tracks of Ghosts, and tell them that 34 Ghosts IV would evolve into the longest running #1 hit, what would they think?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I pre-ordered that 7"... "can't nobody tell me nothin'..."

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    I pre-ordered that 7"... "can't nobody tell me nothin'..."
    My daughter loves that song so I did as well. Going to save it for her birthday.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    My hometown has a pretty famous rodeo every summer and we just had it over the weekend. I had predicted to myself that they would use "Old Town Road" for the closing song as people emptied out of the arena, and I was right. My cousins and I were standing out on the lawn (because there's a carnival that happens alongside) and we were dancing and singing to it. Good times.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    My hometown has a pretty famous rodeo every summer
    Ditto... (Calgary Stampede... and because it's Calgary, this happened)

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    Man, if someone could go back in time to when Trent, Atticus, and co. were doing their experimental jam sessions that would become the tracks of Ghosts, and tell them that 34 Ghosts IV would evolve into the longest running #1 hit, what would they think?
    Maybe Adrian Belew would have popped his head around the corner and said "Hi! Can I play on this one, too?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    came across this

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Nice writeup (from People fucking magazine) about the end of the song's reign at the top of Billboard's Hot 100, including a surprisingly moving Instagram post from Lil' Nas X about the song's origin story told with emoji characters. You guys, 2019 is so fucking bizarre.

Anyway, he's also this week's upcoming Time fucking magazine cover story. Are You, Lil' Nas X, An Urban Achiever? (that's not the actual headline, of course, but this kinda seems almost like it's out of a Coen Bros. movie plot to me, the whole story is truly surreal)
    Last edited by botley; 08-21-2019 at 10:03 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    aaaaand i still detest it.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    My daughter went a party at the roller rink over the weekend. I rented skates for myself and was kinda having fun when this song came on. I almost started crying coz I thought they were gonna play nine inch nails but quickly recovered when I realized what it was. It was cool to watch all the little kids singing and dancing and knowing it started with Trent Reznor. Congrats to him on this accidental success.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    I just can't with this.
    predicting the acceptance speech; "Said nothing, won a CMA. But this makes about as much sense as Broken winning in Metal..."