Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 200

Thread: Lil Nas X samples 34 Ghosts IV - Old Town Road

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,297
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    I like this song, but I can't help but be reminded of The Lonely Island's "I'm On A Boat," the premise of which is that being on a boat is just about the most luxurious, elite, rockstar thing you can do. Lil Nas X seems to take the same approach, like riding on a horse and having been IN A VALLEY are amazing, boast-worthy activities.
    I think that's a pretty good comparison because the song's never seemed serious to me. It's a big jokey mishmash of country stereotypes. He did a video with Genius a couple months ago where they tried to get him to break down the lyrics of the song and it came off as one big reach because he knows the song's just a meme song that's not meant to be taken seriously.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    [RESTRICTED]
    Posts
    542
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    So what's up with TR and The Cyrus's lol.

    - On one hand you have a world wide hit with Billy Ray Cyrus singing to a Nine Inch Nails song.







    - On the other hand you have an episode of Black Mirror where Miley Cyrus is singing her own versions of multiple Nine Inch Nails songs.










    Her sitting at the piano singing 'Right Where It Belongs' was fitting for the situation and was on point.


    All around it's pretty cool.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    185
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    So what's up with TR and The Cyrus's lol.
    I didn't know that Billy Ray was Miley's father until today. That makes it even more odd with two mainstream appearences in the same year 'chanelled' by one family, lol.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    [RESTRICTED]
    Posts
    542
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Remember this?




    Lil Nas X did just what TR wanted artists to do, this is fantastic!

    Mind you, on a legal stipulation, TR does say to take ghosts and add your own visuals... not remix it and list it on Spotify.

    So, there are news reports about whether or not Trent will seek legal action demanding a percentage of the revenue generated by Old Town Road...

    What are your thoughts?

    Should TR let it be and let Lil Nas X, a guy who got a lucky break and has only one song to his name on Spotify, reap the benefits that come with this global hit ($ and fame)

    Or should TR be hard and send his lawyers in full force?


    This is a tricky situation because TR invited anyone and everyone to take Ghosts and make their own film. Can TR in turn sue everyone afterwards? Ghosts are royalty free / creative commons, what does that mean?


    TR should sue BeatsStars for selling the sample to Lil Nas X for $30



    Last edited by snaapz; 06-12-2019 at 12:07 PM.

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    1,734
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    This is a tricky situation because TR invited anyone and everyone to take Ghosts and make their own film. Can TR in turn sue everyone afterwards? Ghosts are royalty free / creative commons, what does that mean?


    TR should sue BeatsStars for selling the sample to Lil Nas X for $30
    I'll just quote myself from Page 4 -

    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    Here's the Rolling Stone piece DMN cited and editorialized for their article - https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...n-road-826936/

    DMN's piece is super-speculative and has no comment from any of the involved parties, though the Rolling Stone piece has no comments either.

    Again, like I've said here before, since Lil Nas X has been recognizing from pretty early on that this was a NIN sample, he'd likely have cleared the rights with TR+AR, especially before or during the period where Sony commissioned the remix with Billy Ray Cyrus. The Rolling Stone piece examines the marketplace the beat came from; the DMN piece seems like it's targeting Lil Nas X for the same thing several folks in this thread were targeting him for earlier and is riling readers up to potentially expect some legal trouble without any basis or hint that it could be coming.
    And now I'm putting a pin in this talking point. Until there is an actual report that TR+AR are taking action, stop beating the dead horse. It borders on shitposting.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    [RESTRICTED]
    Posts
    542
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    ^Sorry I didn't realize it had been covered. I skimmed this thread but must have missed it. Not trying to shit.

    Thanks for the update!

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    8,510
    Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    Not trying to shit.
    ...

    i hope you do eventually, though. not good to keep it all in.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,352
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Considering TRAR are on the Billboard songwriters and producers chart, the sample must have been licensed surely?

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    [RESTRICTED]
    Posts
    542
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Considering TRAR are on the Billboard songwriters and producers chart, the sample must have been licensed surely?

    Now, it looks like Lil Nas X may be the latest artist with a smash hit to run into legal problems. According to details unearthed earlier today, the rapper’s ‘Old Town Road’ originally used an uncleared Nine Inch Nails sample.
    The hook was originally purchased for $30 on BeatStars, a rap-focused beats marketplace.

    https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...ad-infringing/

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    north colorado
    Posts
    1,327
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    Now, it looks like Lil Nas X may be the latest artist with a smash hit to run into legal problems. According to details unearthed earlier today, the rapper’s ‘Old Town Road’ originally used an uncleared Nine Inch Nails sample.
    The hook was originally purchased for $30 on BeatStars, a rap-focused beats marketplace.

    https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...ad-infringing/
    This article is two weeks old and I highly doubt there will be any legal ramifications. Lil NasX has been advertising the song as a NIN sample, so i would imagine they have made some type of deal for this one

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,352
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    Now, it looks like Lil Nas X may be the latest artist with a smash hit to run into legal problems. According to details unearthed earlier today, the rapper’s ‘Old Town Road’ originally used an uncleared Nine Inch Nails sample.
    The hook was originally purchased for $30 on BeatStars, a rap-focused beats marketplace.

    https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...ad-infringing/
    yes I did read that a few weeks ago but since they are officially credited and on billboard charts as songwriters and producers, surely it means a deal was struck?

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    1,734
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    Now, it looks like Lil Nas X may be the latest artist with a smash hit to run into legal problems. According to details unearthed earlier today, the rapper’s ‘Old Town Road’ originally used an uncleared Nine Inch Nails sample.
    The hook was originally purchased for $30 on BeatStars, a rap-focused beats marketplace.

    https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...ad-infringing/
    I'l quote my quote from page 4 that I also quoted six or seven posts ago. It references the DMN piece that is likely clickbait fodder -

    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    Here's the Rolling Stone piece DMN cited and editorialized for their article - https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...n-road-826936/

    DMN's piece is super-speculative and has no comment from any of the involved parties, though the Rolling Stone piece has no comments either.

    Again, like I've said here before, since Lil Nas X has been recognizing from pretty early on that this was a NIN sample, he'd likely have cleared the rights with TR+AR, especially before or during the period where Sony commissioned the remix with Billy Ray Cyrus. The Rolling Stone piece examines the marketplace the beat came from; the DMN piece seems like it's targeting Lil Nas X for the same thing several folks in this thread were targeting him for earlier and is riling readers up to potentially expect some legal trouble without any basis or hint that it could be coming.
    @snaapz Please read the thread from start to finish before you post about this again. We're retreading the same water over and over.

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    [RESTRICTED]
    Posts
    542
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I was responding to WorzelG, not sure why you're calling me out? I answered his/her question and I don't see posts about the fee LNX paid to buy the sample, $35!

    I did notice that I never posted on page 1 or 2 and I though I had.

    From day one I liked the track, to this day my wife and I still listen to it and even my 4 year old, somehow, knows some of the lyrics as he corrected me the other day as I was singing it while brushing his teeth

    I think this is very well produced and Billys vox during the intro over top 34 is an amazing combination, it sounds pro. 'Cant nobody tell me nothing' is very catchy.

    I for one am not fond of drama and complications that come with success, I just want everyone to enjoy this track.

    PS I like country music, Blake Sheltons new song 'Gods Country' is on point!
    Last edited by snaapz; 06-14-2019 at 01:13 PM.

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,352
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    People are so obsessed with making out something nefarious is happening, Young Kio has to respond in a tweet to people making out he was left out of the loop (even though he’s on the billboard credits)
    Last edited by WorzelG; 06-15-2019 at 02:20 PM.

  15. #135
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    One great big festering neon distraction....
    Posts
    120
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't get the vitriol that some people are exhibiting over this song. The way I see it is that it's basically the hip-hop equivalent of Cotton Eye Joe by Rednex: a dumb, fun novelty song not to be taken seriously.

  16. #136
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Bronx
    Posts
    285
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deadwinterskies View Post
    I don't get the vitriol that some people are exhibiting over this song. The way I see it is that it's basically the hip-hop equivalent of Cotton Eye Joe by Rednex: a dumb, fun novelty song not to be taken seriously.
    I think most of the vitriol is coming from the same people throwing vitriol at Miley going near NIN's music. They even go apeshit over Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt, not helped by it overshadowing the original. It's the thought of music they like being "defiled" by singers they don't like that gets under their skin. As I've said earlier in this thread, I doubt that most of us would even care about OTR at all if it weren't for the NIN sample. There are some people who seriously need to find better things to do than freak out at what they don't understand.
    Last edited by Patrick_Nicholas; 06-19-2019 at 07:53 PM.

  17. #137
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    1,015
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    This song reminds me of the time when Crazytown used about 7 or 8 seconds of Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Pretty Little Ditty", looped it over a beat, and turned it into their big song for MTV.

  18. #138
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Highland Park, IL
    Posts
    10,795
    Mentioned
    784 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_Nicholas View Post
    I think most of the vitriol is coming from the same people throwing vitriol at Miley going near NIN's music. They even go apeshit over Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt, not helped by it overshadowing the original. It's the thought of music they like being "defiled" by singers they don't like that gets under their skin. As I've said earlier in this thread, I doubt that most of us would even care about OTR at all if it weren't for the NIN sample. There are some people who seriously need to find better things to do than freak out at what they don't understand.
    There's a lot of vitriol coming from country music side, giving Lil Nas X shit that the song ain't country, HE ain't country, he don't belong in country, rap-country ain't country. But then Kid Rock does his shit and everybody in country is accepting him as their own even though he grew up in a fairly well-off family in a northern suburb of Detroit and is a fake hillbilly and is faking the hiphop shit, too.

    See this: https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/6...-old-town-road

    In late May, the debates about “Old Town Road” stretched beyond the music when Wrangler announced it was launching a Lil Nas X collection. The news prompted some consumers to accuse the jeans company of “taking the cowboy outta country” and threaten a boycott.

    The fans who were angry that the company would team up with a rapper essentially characterized the pairing as “cultural appropriation,” a charge that has generated outcry from African Americans who balk at the idea that cowboys or country music should be considered the sole provenance of white people.

    “The idea that Lil Nas X is perpetuating some form of cultural appropriation by recording and having success in the country genre is simply absurd,” pop culture commentator Jawn Murray told me. “How can you appropriate something you played a significant part in shaping?”

    Josh Garrett-Davis, the Autry Museum of the West’s Gamble associate curator of Western history, popular culture, and firearms, said the efforts to whitewash the country-and-western tradition go back years.

    “There’s a lot of media, whether the classic cowboy paintings or the Wild West shows, that were all sort of reinforcing this idea that the cowboy hero is white,” he told me.

    The racial segregation of musical genres would also perpetuate the idea that African Americans played no role in country-and-western customs. Still, the black influence on these practices lives on through the black rodeo, the black musicians recording country music today, and the millions of African Americans who remain connected to their country roots.

    “One of the missions of the Autry Museum is to expand that often narrow or mythic perception people have of the American West,” Carolyn Brucken, the Autry’s chief curator and director of research, told me. “You can’t talk about the beginning of the American West without talking about African Americans and Native Americans.”

    In Texas, many black men became skilled cowhands when white ranchers left their land and cattle behind to fight in the Civil War. When enslaved black people won their freedom, the ranchers hired them to be ranch hands and cowhands, or “cowboys.” Brucken estimates that at least one out of four cowboys was a black man.
    Kids see right through all this shit, they just don't care, they want to be cowboys and cowgirls and have some horses out back. It tickles me to see little black kids wearing cowboy hats and singing this song, loudly. Even North West (Kanye West's oldest child) made her own "music video" (clip) recently, sporting a cowboy hat, holsters, and a self-made shirt with "old town road" magic-markered in child's crappy lettering on her shirt.
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 06-19-2019 at 08:41 PM.

  19. #139
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    862
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    This song reminds me of the time when Crazytown used about 7 or 8 seconds of Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Pretty Little Ditty", looped it over a beat, and turned it into their big song for MTV.
    I don't care for the lyrics but the instrumental of that Crazy Town song is amazing. I just wish some better rappers were on that track instead like Outkast or something.

    Last edited by nooneimportant; 06-21-2019 at 04:07 AM.

  20. #140
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

  21. #141
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    [RESTRICTED]
    Posts
    542
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    ^ So I promised myself I would not post in this thread anymore...

    I just saw that BET video... I am a fan of the actual LNX song but this "live" version sounds like shit.

    BRC isn't actually playing the guitar, LNX is lip syncing, BRC is actually singing which seems to be the only authentic thing about this, i'm not sure if this is supposed to be serious or not.

    This was fun to watch but kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.

    I've now seen it all.
    Last edited by snaapz; 06-24-2019 at 12:59 PM.

  22. #142
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    ^ So I promised myself I would not post in this thread anymore...

    I just saw that BET video... I am a fan of the actual LNX song but this "live" version sounds like shit.

    BRC isn't actually playing the guitar, LNX is lip syncing, BRC is actually singing which seems to be the only authentic thing about this, i'm not sure if this is supposed to be serious or not.

    This was fun to watch but kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.

    I've now seen it all.
    LNX has kept this whole experience as memetastic as possible. The over the top production here is very much on theme. Will.I.Am react is golden.
    If you want the LNX live experience, the elementary school performance is where it's at.

  23. #143
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,231
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

  24. #144
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bayonne Leave It Alone
    Posts
    3,673
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Apparently dude came out yesterday on twitter. Do you my man, but your 15 is just about up regardless.

  25. #145
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Bronx
    Posts
    285
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_Nicholas View Post
    ...Though I would be very surprised if Lil Nas X turns out to NOT be a one-hit wonder within the next few years...
    Okay, I was wrong. LNX is now officially not a one-hit wonder, thanks in part to one of the most popular mainstream rappers at the moment. He has two new top 40 hits, while OTR is still sticking to the top. His EP shows that he's not exactly the greatest poet of all time, but no worse than most other mainstream rappers currently dominating the charts and media (and still better than some of them, such as 6ix9ine).
    https://headlineplanet.com/home/2019...-panini-rodeo/

  26. #146
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    487
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Okay,you guys know that I've both defended Old Town Road and genuinely loved the Miley Cyrus NIN reworks. But what the fuck was that performance? Miley has proved she can sing in the past, so why does she just talk all the verses then just stand there silently for the chorus? And was there a single live aspect of Old Town Road? Did they just play the song off a laptop with guitars added to it? Were those guitars even live? What and absolute joke of a performance. Just because your music isn't serious doesn't mean you shouldn't take the performance seriously. At least enough to actually perform.

  27. #147
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,132
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    What and absolute joke of a performance. Just because your music isn't serious doesn't mean you shouldn't take the performance seriously. At least enough to actually perform.
    I thought it was better than Grohl / Reznor / Buckingham doing the Grammy's.

  28. #148
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Misery State
    Posts
    227
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_Nicholas View Post
    Okay, I was wrong. LNX is now officially not a one-hit wonder, thanks in part to one of the most popular mainstream rappers at the moment. He has two new top 40 hits, while OTR is still sticking to the top. His EP shows that he's not exactly the greatest poet of all time, but no worse than most other mainstream rappers currently dominating the charts and media (and still better than some of them, such as 6ix9ine).
    https://headlineplanet.com/home/2019...-panini-rodeo/
    I'm not into his music at all, but the guy is hilarious on twitter and seems to be enjoying his spotlight in the most wholesome way possible. I kind of want him to do well anyway, because he's so friggen likeable.

  29. #149
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,249
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    I thought it was better than Grohl / Reznor / Buckingham doing the Grammy's.
    You're just till mad LL Cool J didn't get up there and join them.

  30. #150
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    4,031
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    You're just till mad LL Cool J didn't get up there and join them.
    He has NOTHING on this Depp introduction from the '99 MVAs!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions