Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Lil Nas X samples 34 Ghosts IV - Old Town Road

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadwing Watershed View Post
    Also popping in to say this post is mad dusty and shows exuberant laziness. If you can keep up with Trent over the years, you can keep up with rap/music in general. Too many new dope artists out there like Jpegmafia, J.I.D., Denzel Curry, Lizzo, Little Simz, Injury Reserve, Clipping, City Morgue, etc. to listen to instead of reminiscing and being stuck in the past on some "good 'ol days" curmudgeon shit
    Here's something from Denzel Curry that most everyone on this board can get behind (adds a nice little extra verse in there too):

and this is his newest single. It's dope:

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I saw this thread a couple of weeks ago... Then this past weekend I decided to check out the Spotify Global Top 50.

This was unexpected...

#2 and over FOUR MILLION plays PER DAY?

AND

#3 and over THREE MILLION plays PER DAY!?

I don't share the hatred for this mix, and I can even dig it a little bit.

What's the big deal.

One great big festering neon distraction....
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadwing Watershed View Post
    Also popping in to say this post is mad dusty and shows exuberant laziness. If you can keep up with Trent over the years, you can keep up with rap/music in general. Too many new dope artists out there like Jpegmafia, J.I.D., Denzel Curry, Lizzo, Little Simz, Injury Reserve, Clipping, City Morgue, etc. to listen to instead of reminiscing and being stuck in the past on some "good 'ol days" curmudgeon shit
    Cool story, bro.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Started following this kid on Instagram, and he's pretty funny and takes all of the random hate in stride. He's so young - hopefully he can transition this into some more long-term success as he grows.

Edit - and holy shit, I just realized who he is from Twitter! Same username, but I didn't connect the dots until I just saw one of his tweets with the familiar avatar. I'm not a big twitter user, but he's been popular on there for a long time. His shit is always getting posted in various places on reddit, which is where I've seen them for the most part. Putting this together makes me love this now!
    Last edited by Sarah K; 04-22-2019 at 07:38 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Fixed

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    My god. This song is bigger than Closer now.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post

also, lizzo is fucking amazing​.
    Thanks for giving me a case of Baader-Meinhof this week. I read your reply a few days ago and thought to myself "What in the hell is a Lizzo" and now I can't stop seeing this person's name EVERYWHERE in the news. Literally... Everywhere.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Thanks for giving me a case of Baader-Meinhof this week. I read your reply a few days ago and thought to myself "What in the hell is a Lizzo" and now I can't stop seeing this person's name EVERYWHERE in the news. Literally... Everywhere.
    well, that's because she just put out a new album, whereas she had been putting out a steady stream of singles for quite a while.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    My god. This song is bigger than Closer now.
    Well, Spotify doesn't measure plays throughout history. We'll see in 25 years.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    well, that's because she just put out a new album, whereas she had been putting out a steady stream of singles for quite a while.
    Haha, that might be true, BUT if it wasn't for you name dropping her first, I wouldn't have paid attention to the articles and would have just kept scrolling by. It's nothing I would be interested in. Even a review popped up on my YouTube sub feed and I wouldn't have even looked at it for a microsecond. So, you did kind of plant the seed to be fair, lol.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    This is fucking amazing.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    That song still fucking honks other than the NIN sample, but that video is pretty damn funny. Part. Vince Staples part, and when the dude slowly lifts up his phone while looking at Nas X. Good of Nas X to not take himself seriously.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Monday pre-Stanley Cup festivities, if anyone cares to hear a few NIN guitar string plucks prior to the puck dropping...

https://fox6now.com/2019/05/24/lil-n...ley-cup-final/

Lil Nas X will perform the top song in the world Monday in Boston as part of the pregame festivities before the series between the Bruins and St. Louis Blues gets underway. The NHL announced Friday Lil Nas X and country singer Chase Rice as the artists who will play at Boston’s City Hall Plaza before Game 1.
    “The place is going to go berserk, I’m pretty sure,” NHL chief content officer and executive vice president Steve Mayer said. “Everybody knows the song. The song is played in all our arenas, and the reaction to the song has been just incredible.”

Question remains, will ETS go berserk?

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I ended up enjoying it, but that's also easy for me to say due to being the resident Kid Rock fan around here. This definitely is one of those, "If X is wrong then I don't want to be right." moments on ETS, which I'm absolutely no stranger to.

I also like to always look on the bright side whenever it comes to this type of topic, because at least when or if Lil Nas X and Old Town Road comes up in a conversation, it'll also give me a reason to discuss and promote Ghosts I-IV and Nine Inch Nails in general.

It also seems to make it better knowing that Lil Nas X is also a fan of Nine Inch Nails. I sometimes tend to wonder which famous people, regardless of their professions and walks of life, are also into NIN, so it makes me pleasantly surprised whenever such a fact is revealed, if ever at all.

I also forgot to mention that 34 Ghosts IV was and is also still one of my most favorite songs from Ghosts I-IV. I also thought that it was underrated, aside from the album itself, and was just happy to see that this brings more attention to 34 Ghosts IV as well.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 05-31-2019 at 04:36 PM. Reason: I just wanted to say that 34 Ghosts IV was and still is one of my most favorite songs from Ghosts I-IV.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

This is the most adorable and awesome thing I have ever seen.

I mean just look at all those kids go nuts!! I love how they scream every word of it. So fun. Imagine being like 8 years old and this is what happens on your last day of school.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    The song is featured in the trailer for the new Rambo movie.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Here's the Rolling Stone piece DMN cited and editorialized for their article - https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...n-road-826936/

DMN's piece is super-speculative and has no comment from any of the involved parties, though the Rolling Stone piece has no comments either.

Again, like I've said here before, since Lil Nas X has been recognizing from pretty early on that this was a NIN sample, he'd likely have cleared the rights with TR+AR, especially before or during the period where Sony commissioned the remix with Billy Ray Cyrus. The Rolling Stone piece examines the marketplace the beat came from; the DMN piece seems like it's targeting Lil Nas X for the same thing several folks in this thread were targeting him for earlier and is riling readers up to potentially expect some legal trouble without any basis or hint that it could be coming.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    A few thoughts...

1. This song is goddamned hilarious. I grew up in Idaho in the midst of shit-kicking culture and this just makes me smile.
    2. It's catchy. I've had the refrain of "can't nobody tell me nothin'" stuck in my head all fucking day. And I'm not complaining.
    3. Billy Ray Cyrus has turned out to be a reasonably cool guy at this point, and who could have seen that coming way back in the day?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    Billy Ray Cyrus has turned out to be a reasonably cool guy at this point, and who could have seen that coming way back in the day?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Cardi B brought Lil Nas X & Billy Ray Cyrus tonight at my job's big summer concert, Hot 97's Summer Jam. I'm glad it happened strictly for the press we'll get & everything, but holy shit what an abortion. Lil Nas mic isn't on for most of the "performance":

skip to 18:21 for Old Town Road. Or watch the whole thing & contemplate your life choices that have brought you to this point, like I have.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 06-03-2019 at 09:27 PM.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Hahahaha, @bobbie solo

Jesus, dude. You weren't kidding.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I mean, Bodak Yellow still goes hard. And Cardi IS funny. But that's about all I got.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Both the Billy Ray Cyrus remix & the original version of Old Town Road reached No 1.. Diplo's remix hasn't hit that high yet, but supposedly Young Thug has another remix coming soon.
    It's still kinda weird to think that TRAR have scored multiple No. 1s & a multi-platinum single out of this.

The song itself, I kinda like it. The country rap thing is definitely not my bag, but I feel this is in way better taste than the absolute bile I've heard in recent years. e.g. Florida Georgia Line, The Lacs, Blake Shelton, etc

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just checked and it appears 34 was never performed live on tour. Bummer because I'm sure some funny video editing could have taken place.
    Times like this I miss meathead.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    What would be hilarious is if NIN performed 34 and then broke into a cover of "Old Town Road" in the middle of it. Some people in the audience would prolly already be singing, "I got the horses in the back..." anyway, LOL.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I like this song, but I can't help but be reminded of The Lonely Island's "I'm On A Boat," the premise of which is that being on a boat is just about the most luxurious, elite, rockstar thing you can do. Lil Nas X seems to take the same approach, like riding on a horse and having been IN A VALLEY are amazing, boast-worthy activities.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    I like this song, but I can't help but be reminded of The Lonely Island's "I'm On A Boat," the premise of which is that being on a boat is just about the most luxurious, elite, rockstar thing you can do. Lil Nas X seems to take the same approach, like riding on a horse and having been IN A VALLEY are amazing, boast-worthy activities.
    I think that's a pretty good comparison because the song's never seemed serious to me. It's a big jokey mishmash of country stereotypes. He did a video with Genius a couple months ago where they tried to get him to break down the lyrics of the song and it came off as one big reach because he knows the song's just a meme song that's not meant to be taken seriously.