Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: This year is the 10 year anniversary of...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks for verifying what I assumed to be true, with that said I've only once experienced NIN in 5.1 with 'Beside You in Time', I bought the DVD. I was underwhelmed by the hype of 5.1, the live experience was amazing to watch/blast in my basement. Great DVD.

I'm a huge fan but... finding 1-2 hrs distraction free where I can blast an album is hard for me to find, let alone do more than once.

And truth be told... how many people out there care about TF in 5.1? 100-1000 people?

Don't get me wrong, TR is brilliant and his music is brilliant.... but 5.1 is a waste of time unless it's something he feels he has to do for himself, which seems like a waste of time to end up with an album that will sound the same.

Mind you, he is filthy rich, he could pay some team to do it all for him. Bit of HH here, some synth there, and lets move that drone to the back left.. DONE!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    Thanks for verifying what I assumed to be true, with that said I've only once experienced NIN in 5.1 with 'Beside You in Time', I bought the DVD. I was underwhelmed by the hype of 5.1, the live experience was amazing to watch/blast in my basement. Great DVD.

I'm a huge fan but... finding 1-2 hrs distraction free where I can blast an album is hard for me to find, let alone do more than once.

And truth be told... how many people out there care about TF in 5.1? 100-1000 people?

Don't get me wrong, TR is brilliant and his music is brilliant.... but 5.1 is a waste of time unless it's something he feels he has to do for himself, which seems like a waste of time to end up with an album that will sound the same.

Mind you, he is filthy rich, he could pay some team to do it all for him. Bit of HH here, some synth there, and lets move that drone to the back left.. DONE!
    The actual albums that have been released in 5.1 have been really good. I don't think you'd be underwhelmed by them. I haven't seen BYIT in 5.1, but if it's anything like other live shows, the surround sound is just kind of an added bonus. They really thought about it doing TDS and WT.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    According to an interview with Trent from...quite a while ago now, the 5.1 mix of TF is already done. He and Alan Moulder mixed it as part of preparing for a deluxe edition of the album, but the record company didn't want to pony up the cash for the kind of packaging he wanted, and the whole project got put on hold. There's a chance it could still happen, even if it's it's just a seed0 "leak". But I'm hoping for some sort of full deluxe package. A vinyl copy of TF with all those extra tracks from Deviations PLUS the vocals (I so want Appendage with vocals - that track is MONSTROUS), plus a 5.1 mix on...I have no idea what format that would be in now. Digital, I assume.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slopesandsam View Post
    The one that I remember most clearly was the wait between TF and WT. Six years of near-complete silence from the NIN camp. I'd begun to accept the idea that NIN were just done - another band from the 90s that had vanished into memory - when WT was announced.
    I also recall there being actual rumors about Trent Reznor retiring Nine Inch Nails before With Teeth came out. Some fans have even speculated that Closure was a hint at the possibility of NIN being retired. (That was on some random blog or article I found, which obviously/thankfully was proven to be false. I no longer know where it is, or if it even still exists.)

As far as real life encounters, I have heard similar as well, as they also thought that NIN was over before With Teeth.

Now being almost 3 complete decades of Pretty Hate Machine, I couldn't have been any more grateful, while having the chance to see NIN live 4 times. It might not be much, but for somebody that tends to stay in a lot, it means a whole lot in addition to already being a huge fan.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 04-12-2019 at 03:51 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    After reading some replies in this topic, I realise I too don't really care all that much about the 5.1 recording. I'd probably listen to it once or maybe twice before putting it on the shelf.

Deviations with vocals, other Lost Fragile tracks, demos, and high quality versions of nin.com remixes (and a vocal version of Appendage) are what I'm really interested in.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    As I said before, we need a THINGS STILL FALLING APART or THE FRAGILE: VARIATIONS 1

Remaster Still and Things Falling Apart and include Vocal Deviation tracks, other unreleased material, and remixes left off the original releases along with TDTWWA Porter Ricks mix and Complications Of The Flesh. Put together as one double disc package.

Fuck, we NEED a remaster of The Perfect Drug like ASAP and include its remixes too.

I made my own 24 track THINGS STILL FALLING APART, but it's missing those bonus NIN remix.com remixes. I also made a 30 track FURTHER DOWN THE SPIRAL with every TDS era b-sides/non-album track and remix. But I'd love it all remastered and hi-res.
    Last edited by neorev; 04-12-2019 at 10:53 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    It does seem like 5.1 is a bit of a narrow market. I think I've managed a listen or two of the downward spiral mix and it was certainly cool but not something I was super eager to spring on a whole set up for especially given that there's like 5 things I would use it for.

However I do notice a difference when bands fix their brickwall mixes and if I remember right a bunch of NIN stuff is still brickwalled even after the recent rerelease?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I know we talk about this every so often, but does anyone have any thoughts as to what track "Rotation" might be?

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    I know we talk about this every so often, but does anyone have any thoughts as to what track "Rotation" might be?
    That and Stained are still anyone’s guess.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    That and Stained are still anyone’s guess.
    It says on the wiki Stained is likely I Underneath It All

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    It says on the wiki Stained is likely I Underneath It All
    Likely (because of the lyric) but not certain.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Likely
    Key word there