Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Strobe Light is OUT!!

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Holy balls, this is next-level. This is something I can use to cheer myself up when I'm sad or angry. I could not stop laughing each time the "Pussygrinder" chorus came in.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Not only has this have to be the best pay off to a joke ever, but the album actually kind of rocks! I'd like to think Trent did this, but it doesn't matter. Bravo to whoever took the time to do this!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Black T-Shirt. Wow.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The way the lyrics were isolated to fit each song title is amazing. That opening line of "Pussygrinder."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The intro skit can be used as opener for the shows and would fit perfectly. just play it and imagine a full arena, lights out and a lot of crazy people...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The only thing that, to me, says this isn't TR is the way they mashed up words to create the song titles in there. Some of them are a stretch, and it's probably the only part of the whole thing that didn't need to be there. It's definitely a fun listen. Outro using Flyentology was pretty unexpected and great. I think one of my favorite tracks is Feel Like Being Dead Again, if you had never heard those songs, you'd never know it wasn't supposed to be that way.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spahn View Post
    As requested

http://nincatalog.com/unauthorized/s...t-us-mp3-1577/

If anyone has a larger image of the back, please let me know. Also, if you want me to add anything else to the listing, let me know.
    Here you go:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    So I finally sat and listened to the entire album tonight and I am surprised at how well some of these songs actually work. Even though a part of me sees some of these mashups as pure blasphemy, I do want to thank whomever is responsible for the amusing hour of my life that I will never get back. Honestly though, great gag and I'm sure T and A got a few chuckles out of seeing their joke take on a whole new life.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Had a movie and drinks night at a friend's the other night. Topic of new Rammstein video and album came up, we watched Deutschland. Conversation veered to NIN. Slyly put on Pussygrinder.

Watching the faces around me move from uncertainty to confusion to outright laughter and applause, as well as mortified begs for it to stop from a huge fan who absolutely loves NIN and needs to be able to take it seriously was wonderful, to say the least.

I'm kind of alarmed at how well The Big Come Down and Burn work so well together. I really hope Trent's cool with this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    The only thing that, to me, says this isn't TR is the way they mashed up words to create the song titles in there. Some of them are a stretch, and it's probably the only part of the whole thing that didn't need to be there. It's definitely a fun listen. Outro using Flyentology was pretty unexpected and great. I think one of my favorite tracks is Feel Like Being Dead Again, if you had never heard those songs, you'd never know it wasn't supposed to be that way.
    It's actually a bit more than messing up with words, there is a vocoder effect involved in the process.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snichols View Post
    So I finally sat and listened to the entire album tonight and I am surprised at how well some of these songs actually work. Even though a part of me sees some of these mashups as pure blasphemy, I do want to thank whomever is responsible for the amusing hour of my life that I will never get back. Honestly though, great gag and I'm sure T and A got a few chuckles out of seeing their joke take on a whole new life.
    Well, you're welcome.

Obviously, although I used every trick possible to keep things secret, while reaching a certain level of audio quality (remixing, arranging, production tricks...) and even suggest this idea could be linked to NIN, I can tell now this album is "fan made".

I wonder if TR and AR got to listen to it. If Sheryl Crow was able to hear it,

The publicity part of it (involving mailings to media, creating an email account and then a Twitter account, a PR job in the end) was almost as fun as producing and mixing the mashup themselves, even though I thought the impact would be a bit wider than the NIN fanbase which was very enthusiastic, as expected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Watching the faces around me move from uncertainty to confusion to outright laughter and applause, as well as mortified begs for it to stop from a huge fan who absolutely loves NIN and needs to be able to take it seriously was wonderful, to say the least.
    That's exactly the kind of reaction I love to hear about, I wish I could witness it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    I'm kind of alarmed at how well The Big Come Down and Burn work so well together. I really hope Trent's cool with this.
    That track might be my favourite of all even if the vocoded vocals are the ones which worked the least among all. Even Jay-Z rapping/stuttering "Everybody's doing it" works better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indefinite_Cure View Post
    Also, this could have been done a while ago. My reasoning comes from the fact that all the material used to do the mashups is from 2010 or before...
    Actually there's a bit from HTDA (2013) and the Justin Timberlake vocals are post-2009 too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    I did a quick breeze through and it reminds me a lot of the sort of thing @totom does. Is it it you, dude? Fess up!

It's very well done, by the way.
    http://giphy.com/gifs/clever-disguise-BdhtvnPILhdYs

Last edited by seed9; 04-10-2019 at 04:37 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    While I can't post a link per site rules (copyright material), a certain non-torrent download site specializing in new album releases has Strobe Light featured in it's Electronic section.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by totom View Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    I think one of my favorite tracks is Feel Like Being Dead Again, if you had never heard those songs, you'd never know it wasn't supposed to be that way.
    Yeah this track is actually really good. The album is really an amazing job but overall I would only listen to it for fun with the exception of Feel Like Being Dead Again that I've had stuck in my head for the past couple of days

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    So it's time for revelations, it was me all along.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    Who was I fooling, really... ^^

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Kudos, dude. I have just about all of your mashup albums, not just the NIN themed ones, so i'm pretty familiar with your style, heh.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    holy fuck this is just fun ;D

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    As someone asked me the details for each mashup, here's a list, I don't think I forgot anything.

All the "original" vocal bits ("Strobe Light" from the intro skit, plus song titles) were obtained through a special vocoder effect applied over my own vocal takes recorded in a friend's studio. Coincidentally, that friend worked with Justin Timberlake's Say Something video as a sound engineer about a year ago, he's very talented and I just robbed him from about two hours of his precious time during a last minute vocals recording session -- the first one I made being on that side of the microphone --.

Anyway here are the rest of the details for each track : I

01 Intro Skit
    Code:
    instrumental : Puff Daddy - Victory (NIN remix instrumental)
    spoken bits : Trent Reznor himself, Nardwuar, Eminem, Howard Stern, Richard Patrick, Jonathan Davis, more or less known people mentioning NIN on YouTube and podcasts (I failed to find David Bowie mentioning NIN, whereas I spent hours listening to interviews of him from the 90s)
    02 Everybody's Doing It
    Code:
    instrumental : The Day The World Went Away (instrumental versions, Deviations and Quiet)
    acapellas : NIN - Beside you in Time, U2 - Beautiful Day, Jay-Z - Takeover (cut up of lyrics from the same song), Coldplay - Fix You

03 Black T-Shirt
    Code:
    instrumental : Into the Void
    acapella + synth : Terrible Lie

04 Pussygrinder
    Code:
    instrumental : Head like a Hole
    acapellas : Echoplex & Sheryl Crow - All I Wanna Do

05 Coffin on The Dancefloor
    Code:
    instrumental : The Hand That Feeds
    acapellas : Discipline, Survivalism & All the Love in the World

06 This Rhythm Is Infected
    Code:
    instrumental : Wish
    acapella : March of the Pigs

07 Slide To The Dark Side
    Code:
    instrumental : The Big Comedown
    acapellas : Burn & Meet your Master

08 Even Closer
    Code:
    instrumental : Even Deeper
    acapellas : Closer, Even Deeper, Lights in the Sky, Justin Timberlake - Pair of Wings, Tool - Schism, Parabola & Vicarious

09 On The List (She's Not)
    Code:
    instrumental : Reptile
    acapella : Love is not Enough

10 Clap Trap Crack Slap
    Code:
    instrumental : Only with "Acid Dance" drums remodeled
    acapellas : Head Down, The Warning, My Violent Heart
    samples : Sanctified, Fetty Wap - Trap Queen, old cartoons soundbanks

11 Laid, Paid and Played
    Code:
    instrumental : Starfuckers
    acapellas : Every Day is Exactly the Same, Ministry - TV II, Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling & Pump it

12 Feel Like Being Dead Again
    Code:
    instrumental : Dead Souls (Joy Division cover)
    acapella : Sanctified

13 Still Hurts
    Code:
    instrumental : Hurt
    acapellas : How to Destroy Angels - Strings and Attractors, Alicia Keys and Jack White - Another Way to Die

14 Outro Skit
    Code:
    instrumental : El-P - Flyentology
    acapellas : You Know What You Are
    Last edited by totom; 04-21-2019 at 06:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm surprised the "I'm gonna go make withdrawal" part from the deep video didn't make an appearance in one of the skits

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    it runs even ... "CLOSER!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just finally listened to this. Previously thought it was just a dickroll title.

Gotta say it’s a helluva mashup! Really enjoy it

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I livestreamed the whole album on YouTube for its first birthday.