Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    No new CPU or additional RAM, and no 4k support. Definitely skippable for most if you already have a switch.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I have a switch and a lite but the main switch never leaves the dock and the lite has enough annoying quirks that I'm actually thinking about it. I know it's $50 more than the current model but if the drift is fixed and the screen looks nice enough...I'm there.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Confirmed, Joy-cons are exactly the same as the old model. This is nothing but a huge rip-off, and fans are actually defending it.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    welp that seals it for me then.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Confirmed, Joy-cons are exactly the same as the old model. This is nothing but a huge rip-off, and fans are actually defending it.
    Not a rip off, it's directly replacing the current one in the lineup - once the current switch sells off they'll just be selling the OLED model and the upgrade warrants the price if you don't have one already.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Not a rip off, it's directly replacing the current one in the lineup - once the current switch sells off they'll just be selling the OLED model and the upgrade warrants the price if you don't have one already.
    You think an upgraded screen, no upgrades internally, with no fix to the ever on going problem of stick drift is warranted because of.... OLED. Please tell me you're joking. The damn PSP had an OLED screen back in 2011. But... LAN port.

For someone like me that is buying one this weekend, I could care less about an upgraded screen that more than half the people that own a Switch keep it docked anyway. It's just more Nintendo nonsense and people just eat it up. Sorry, but I ain't drinking that kool-aid.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 07-12-2021 at 03:17 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I bought a used Switch in March that came with the drift issue on the right joycon and did a bunch of research on how to fix it vs buying new joycons. In the end I decided that buying a kit for about 20 usd that brought 4 replacement joycons was way better than paying $70-80 for a new set of joycons.

The equivalent kit from ifixit was more expensive, even though they're a brand I can blindly trust.
    I wanted to try a more economical kit and this decision is what kick started my research.
    Especially since I'm a big advocate for right to repair and try not to contribute to as much e-waste as possible.
    I watched 3 separate tutorials on YouTube on how to swap out the analogue sticks before I felt confident enough to do it myself step by step.
    I did the swap in mid April for both joycons since I wanted them both to have the same level of wear and tear and so far they've held up.
    Admittedly I hardly use them enough to begin with since I prefer using my Sn30 Pro+ controller.

I know that not everyone here would accept fixing it themselves and I agree with everyone that Nintendo needs to fix this shit but, when you consider the alternative of buying a new set, you could replace the analogue sticks for a quarter of the price. The only thing you gotta do is watch some tutorial videos and learn how to deal with the small ribbon cables. It's not that difficult.

Here is the set I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also I bought this to hard wire my switch: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by ziltoid; 07-12-2021 at 04:23 PM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    You think an upgraded screen, no upgrades internally, with no fix to the ever on going problem of stick drift is warranted because of.... OLED. Please tell me you're joking. The damn PSP had an OLED screen back in 2011. But... LAN port.

For someone like me that is buying one this weekend, I could care less about an upgraded screen that more than half the people that own a Switch keep it docked anyway. It's just more Nintendo nonsense and people just eat it up. Sorry, but I ain't drinking that kool-aid.
    I’m sorry you’re so buttmad about this whole thing, this isn’t a switch pro. It would be a pretty big fool to upgrade their current switch for this one, but if I’m out buying a first time switch the larger screen, OLED, Ethernet port, much longer battery life, a stand that actually makes sense to use and twice the hard drive size for $50 extra isn’t really that bad of an asking price.
    Last edited by tony.parente; 07-12-2021 at 08:26 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    much longer battery life
    Nope... OLED edition doesn't offer anymore than the OG switch does. It's ok to say you like to accept the bare minimum.

You can literally buy a working ethernet add-on, along with almost every feature the OLED has to offer for about $50 right now... Also, the resolution being locked at 720p can potentially make certain games look worse now with a larger screen.

There is difference between being "buttmad" and not settling for Nintendos blantant bullshit anymore...
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 07-12-2021 at 09:38 PM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Nope... OLED edition doesn't offer anymore than the OG switch does. It's ok to say you like to accept the bare minimum.

You can literally buy a working ethernet add-on, along with almost every feature the OLED has to offer for about $50 right now... Also, the resolution being locked at 720p can potentially make certain games look worse now with a larger screen.

There is difference between being "buttmad" and not settling for Nintendos blantant bullshit anymore...
    I feel like you legitimately don’t know or understand what the oled switch even offers and you’re just trolling.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Unopened Super Mario 64 game sells for $1.56 million

https://www.ksl.com/article/50202777...ashing-records

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I keep reading commentary on these auctions about how it's money laundering (probably) and that the auction houses are buying the games themselves to drive articles about how expensive the stuff they handle is (likely).

I mean, actual prices for these things were ~40k and suddenly it's four times that? I don't believe it.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I feel like you legitimately don’t know or understand what the oled switch even offers and you’re just trolling.
    You have said some wild stuff on these boards... But this one just takes the cake. You lost me when you said it had extended battery life...

Moving on....

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    You have said some wild stuff on these boards... But this one just takes the cake. You lost me when you said it had extended battery life...

Moving on....
    So OLED doesn't consume much less power thus extending the battery life by a significant margin on the new switch?

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    Unopened Super Mario 64 game sells for $1.56 million

https://www.ksl.com/article/50202777...ashing-records
    Please transport me back to 1996 so I can buy 100 copies to keep sealed.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I keep reading commentary on these auctions about how it's money laundering (probably) and that the auction houses are buying the games themselves to drive articles about how expensive the stuff they handle is (likely).

I mean, actual prices for these things were ~40k and suddenly it's four times that? I don't believe it.
    I’d be happy with the 40k x100 copies also.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    So OLED doesn't consume much less power thus extending the battery life by a significant margin on the new switch?
    It depends on the game you play on the Switch... It isn't that cut and paste. If you think 1.5 extra hours is a significant margin, then I don't know what to tell you.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    It depends on the game you play on the Switch... It isn't that cut and paste. If you think 1.5 extra hours is a significant margin, then I don't know what to tell you.
    1.5 hours is anywhere between a 20-60% battery life increase depending on the game being played.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'm old enough to remember the top-loading NES, the game boy Pocket, the gazillions of exclusive Game Boy Color colors, the N64 "fun machine" in all sorts of colors as well and gimmicky Pokemon designs, the five million variations of the Game Boy Advance and SP and Micro and DS and DSi and DSXL3DLMFAOs. This is nothing new from them, and they'll probably have me hook, line, and sinker since I 99% play the Switch handheld. The bigger, brighter, better screen and improved sound on the OLED model are enough to pique my interest but there's admittedly a million ways to better spend $350. Nintendo could obviously sell ice to eskimos, they're fucking PROS at this by this point.
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 07-13-2021 at 01:42 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    I'm old enough to remember the top-loading NES, the game boy Pocket, the gazillions of exclusive Game Boy Color colors, the N64 "fun machine" in all sorts of colors as well and gimmicky Pokemon designs, the five million variations of the Game Boy Advance and SP and Micro and DS and DSi and DSXL3DLMFAOs. This is nothing new from them, and they'll probably have me hook, line, and sinker since I 99% play the Switch handheld. The bigger, brighter, better screen and improved sound on the OLED model are enough to pique my interest but there's admittedly a million ways to better spend $350. Nintendo could obviously sell ice to eskimos, they're fucking PROS at this by this point.
    So am I... And yes this is nothing new... But to sit there and act like this is some amazing upgrade is pretty silly imo. The fixes for the Joy-cons are not hard like stated above... But consumers shouldn't have to do through those lengths to make the damn things work right.

I like to at least hold a company like Nintendo accountable for their stunts instead of being glamoured because the screen is brighter and bigger and adds a LAN port, which is btw, the FIRST time a Nintendo console had one integrated into it out of the box, ever... Let that sink in. There is a difference between selling different color varients for a handheld back in 1998, next to marketing an "Upgraded" modern CONSOLE that offers absolutely nothing but a nice screen. If that fancies you, then awesome... But others shouldn't accept it just because Nintendo has done this before.

Top loader came out ten years after the OG NES and in a time where things were being made smaller and more compact. Same with the Gameboy pocket... Hell, the second model for the snes came out seven years later. A smaller console or even a phone was enough back then... In this day in age, you should demand more instead of being content with features and upgrades that other releases had over ten years ago. Fans should demand more instead of just eating up everything Nintendo throws at them, but here we are.

... Almost 5 years since the OG Switch was released, and y'all get a slightly better screen and friggin' LAN port. It's quite hilarious to me and don't even get me started on the "Remasters".
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 07-14-2021 at 11:30 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    I'm old enough to remember the top-loading NES...
    I completely forgot about this model!

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    The fixes for the Joy-cons are not hard like stated above... But consumers shouldn't have to do through those lengths to make the damn things work right.
    God i wish they would fix that, i've been through 3 sets of joycons and it drives me nuts, the problem is they're in the middle of a ton of lawsuits over the joycon drift and addressing the issue or even mentioning that it's a problem would cause a financial shitstorm for them worse than the Wii U. I don't think the drift is going to be fixed until the next console TBH.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    I completely forgot about this model!
    I was all excited to get one, and then I made the horrifying realization that it doesn't have RCA output. Replacing the 72 pin connector on my OG system was the better option. Now some 15+ years later I think it needs to be done again...

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    God i wish they would fix that, i've been through 3 sets of joycons and it drives me nuts, the problem is they're in the middle of a ton of lawsuits over the joycon drift and addressing the issue or even mentioning that it's a problem would cause a financial shitstorm for them worse than the Wii U. I don't think the drift is going to be fixed until the next console TBH.
    It's soooo frustrating. I really wonder what will come out of that suit because there have been numerous people I know that are tech savvy like most of this board that can absolutely fix them themselves, and still they get fucked up some how. You're absolutely right and I think that console will have what most of us want out of Nintendo. I don't see them releasing anything new until then, but who the hell knows lol.

Just to be clear, I know I can be a little overthetop when it comes to opinions once and awhile, but I just have so much love for video games and any sort of hardware that comes out, so I apologize if I came across a bit harsh. I just cannot stand some of the business practices companies think up these days, especially Nintendo.

Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen
    I was all excited to get one, and then I made the horrifying realization that it doesn't have RCA output. Replacing the 72 pin connector on my OG system was the better option. Now some 15+ years later I think it needs to be done again...
    I grabbed mine for it being able to play games from other regions, along with the top reader that fixed the error reading problem on the OG. But I am not a fan of the dog bone shape the controllers were changed to, just feels wrong to me lol. But yea, the lower picture quality and the verticle lines that appear on the screen are nothing to be happy about.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 07-14-2021 at 03:03 PM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Valve just announced the "Steam Deck"

Basically a nintendo switch that runs steam, and it starts at $50 more than the OLED switch does. I wonder how this is gonna affect nintendos monopoly on portable gaming.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Valve just announced the "Steam Deck"

Basically a nintendo switch that runs steam, and it starts at $50 more than the OLED switch does. I wonder how this is gonna affect nintendos monopoly on portable gaming.
    Won't be affected. Anyone who is into Nintendo will always be into Nintendo. You still won't be playing those games on a Steam Deck.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)

Dear Lerd at that Clayfighter special edition price.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

This made me chuckle.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Spoiler: I was like, 'what are they doing to that poor Goomba' and then the bread popped open.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    decided to rebuy a 2DS XL since I sold mine. it came today. god I love this thing. it was like being reunited with an old friend. still so many DS and 3DS games I want to play.