Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Dude. @ManBurning You can bet your ass I'll be playing the fuck out of that.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Dude. @ManBurning You can bet your ass I'll be playing the fuck out of that.
    Awesome! Let me know what you think.

The first few worlds are a walk in the park, but make no mistake, the difficulty does ramp up half way through the game!

Enjoy!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Lol I'm at the airship level in world 3 and I think you and I have some vastly differing ideas of the word easy lmao. I'm also playing on the stupid joycons though, so I'm at a disadvantage. Having a ton of fun though! Gotta call it a night sadly. Damn 3am alarm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Awesome! Let me know what you think.

The first few worlds are a walk in the park, but make no mistake, the difficulty does ramp up half way through the game!

Enjoy!
    Okay, what's the trick to the Magic Bullet level? I can't figure this one out at all ha. Specifically during the second big bullet after the checkpoint.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Lol I'm at the airship level in world 3 and I think you and I have some vastly differing ideas of the word easy lmao. I'm also playing on the stupid joycons though, so I'm at a disadvantage. Having a ton of fun though! Gotta call it a night sadly. Damn 3am alarm.
    Damn, Playing mario on joycons!? Brutal. lol. Kudos to you to making it as far as you did with joycons!

Okay, what's the trick to the Magic Bullet level? I can't figure this one out at all ha. Specifically during the second big bullet after the checkpoint.
    2nd bullet after the checkpoint? So, you ride the first bullet until you see the red bomb, and let the bomb explode and destroy the first bullet (you don't need him) and jump up to catch the 2nd bullet.
    After you caught the 2nd bullet, you need to pick him up and fall when you reach the spike wall. You will fall on a moving platform. you need to time your throw with the bullet where the para beetles are falling out of the pipe in the sky to a new section where you are dodging fire bars while riding the bullet thru spikes.

After that, you need to navigate thru a bunch of flying beetles and a couple skewers. It's best to leave the bullet behind at this point and RUSH by jumping on the beetles before the skewers come down. Wait on the red moving platform for the bullet to catch up, and time for the hardest trick in the whole level...

You need to perfectly time the throw of the bullet while you fall so it lines up with a pipe you need to enter to get out of the level. The 10-coin is an indicator on when then bullet should be thrown.

Hope that helps. This level was a bitch to complete/upload, lol.
    I think I ramped the difficulty up too soon. But it gets toned down a bit in world 6.

So far, you're the only person to get into world 5 of my super world. Everyone else is stuck on either 4-1 or 4-2. You were the first to figure out how to pass the mole level, which people seem to be having trouble with.
    Which path did you pick for the world 4 castle when you beat the level with 0 seconds on the clock? lol.

EDIT: Eventually, I am thinking of doing a playthrough of my world to upload to YouTube, but I need to get a capture card first to be able to record game footage from the switch.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 06-03-2020 at 05:07 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Dude.. I think you got me on this damn bullet level. Even with you telling me how to do it, I can't consistently even get passed the fire bars, let alone the shit that comes afterwards lol.

The mole level was pretty brutal lmao. Not surprising others are getting hung up there. I don't remember which paths I chose for world 4 castle. I know I did the top to flip the switch, then I took whatever you have to use the cranes to flip yourself up a long chasm and then those annoying cannons. I had to do a last chance suicide leap off Yoshi to make it work once I realized I was running out of time. I got to the boss with like 18 seconds left and managed to beat him (as small Mario, no less) and grab the key and get to the door with 2 seconds left. By the time I grabbed the axe it literally had 000 on the timer. I'm not sure beating any Mario level has ever felt so rewarding as that one!

Edit: good lord you're an evil, evil man but I finally did it. And yes I'm still using the joy cons with the grip.
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 06-03-2020 at 06:42 PM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Dude.. I think you got me on this damn bullet level. Even with you telling me how to do it, I can't consistently even get passed the fire bars, let alone the shit that comes afterwards lol.

The mole level was pretty brutal lmao. Not surprising others are getting hung up there. I don't remember which paths I chose for world 4 castle. I know I did the top to flip the switch, then I took whatever you have to use the cranes to flip yourself up a long chasm and then those annoying cannons. I had to do a last chance suicide leap off Yoshi to make it work once I realized I was running out of time. I got to the boss with like 18 seconds left and managed to beat him (as small Mario, no less) and grab the key and get to the door with 2 seconds left. By the time I grabbed the axe it literally had 000 on the timer. I'm not sure beating any Mario level has ever felt so rewarding as that one!

Edit: good lord you're an evil, evil man but I finally did it. And yes I'm still using the joy cons with the grip.
    I saw you had finally gotten past the bullet level on my notifications in the game. I was like "Yay! He actually did it!" lol.
    I feel bad for my friend who started up my world tonight. He claims "I underestimate" his Mario skills... lol... I don't think he's gonna beat it, lol.
    Clearing that one was a bit of a bitch too. But there are actually 2 levels worse than that, if you can imagine. 7-4 and 8-2. It's a 3-way tie for which of those 3 are the worst of the bunch.
    Guess I'll let you decide for yourself. After that bullet level, what could possibly be worse? lol.

And once again, playing with the joy cons and grip... You have some mad skillz taking these levels on with that configuration. Good job.

I'm working on someone's really tough world myself as we speak, and it does feel INCREDIBLY rewarding when you FINALLY beat a level you have been going at forever.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 06-04-2020 at 04:17 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    honestly, if i run into a level in a world that i can't get past in 10 tries, i just stop. it becomes frustrating and not satisfying for me anymore.

unless it's a puzzle-solving level, which are my favorites. i'll play those til i'm blue in the face.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    honestly, if i run into a level in a world that i can't get past in 10 tries, i just stop. it becomes frustrating and not satisfying for me anymore.

unless it's a puzzle-solving level, which are my favorites. i'll play those til i'm blue in the face.
    I'm kind of the same way these days, but that level up above turned into sort of a personal vendetta for me that I *had* to finish. I think my official time on it was 20 minutes, but that probably doesn't include the dozens of attempts I made the previous day. It's fascinating to me how some people have such a creative (or twisted) mind to make such hellish, yet beatable, levels.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I'm kind of the same way these days, but that level up above turned into sort of a personal vendetta for me that I *had* to finish. I think my official time on it was 20 minutes, but that probably doesn't include the dozens of attempts I made the previous day. It's fascinating to me how some people have such a creative (or twisted) mind to make such hellish, yet beatable, levels.
    Yeah, I usually know my limits when it comes to what I can/cannot beat. There are just certain levels you KNOW you can beat, just takes time. Then there are levels that you know aren't even worth your time, give em 1 or 2 attempts and you know it's out of your skill level. It's those levels in the middle. The ones that just are slightly above your skill level, but you don't want to admit defeat, cuz you KNOW you can get it. Those are the levels that make you feel good when you finally beat them. You get that sense of satisfaction that you did something you thought was impossible.

I'm actually the opposite with this. I can't stand the puzzle levels. I'm not smart enough to figure 'em out half the time, lol.
    I'd rather just suffer with a technical/precise spike/jumping/platform level than deal with a 1-room puzzle type thing that requires multiple steps and 1 wrong move, you need to reset the whole thing.
    Kudos to people that can make that kinda stuff work though. Not gonna lie, some of those puzzle levels are very well put together.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 06-04-2020 at 04:26 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I lost my patience with the go kart level in 7-1 last night haha. I feel like these last 9 or so levels are gonna be pretty tough to get through

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I lost my patience with the go kart level in 7-1 last night haha. I feel like these last 9 or so levels are gonna be pretty tough to get through
    Haha, well you made it pretty damn far as far as I am concerned.
    7-2 isn't too bad. It's a weird swimming castle/upside down level
    7-3 though, yeah... I did a world share with a guy on reddit, and he said that was even harder than the bullet level for him. You're jumping off flying beetles with a cape avoiding stuff in the air. Whole level is a bottomless pit, you make 1 wrong move you fall to your death.
    7-4 airship isn't too bad.

As for World 8?
    4 levels there.

8-1 is a 1 room challenge. You get 4 powerups to try kill 20 flaming cheep cheeps jumping at you.
    8-2 I thought was my hardest level at first. I ranked it a 10/10 on the difficulty scale. But people seem to be struggling more on the bullet on 7-3 levels. I think it's still a very hard level though. remember Battletoads turbo tunnel? It's pretty much a homage to that. 4 different sections moving in vehicles (dry bones shell, koopa clown cars) dodging stuff.
    8-3 is a Mega Man style boss rush with all 8 koopa kids again
    8-4 is the Bowser fight.

Funny, the guy on reddit had 99 lives when he entered world 7 and he came out with 24, lol. He struggled on the kart level too for some reason. Are you stuck at the timing of the jump after the moving conveyor belts?
    If you count to 2 the second you fall on the speed ramp and hit the jump button the second you say "2" you'll get the jump every time.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Haha, well you made it pretty damn far as far as I am concerned.
    Thanks! Lol. I've made more progress and am on 8-2 now. I can't seem to get around the two spinning razor wheels in the dry Koopa shell And I know the level hasn't even gotten crazy yet at that point lmao

That's funny about that guy's life count going down so much. I was padding it out by pausing and starting over if I knew it was a hopeless attempt.

7-3 wasn't too bad. At least I knew the objective and just needed the skill part down. Magic Bullet I was legitimately stumped haha

fwiw I loved battletoads and the turbo tunnels

*edit: okay, on the last level and seemingly can't find a key in the long vertical chasm with the lava filing up. :/

*dbl edit: Finally finished and well done! That was pretty clever, I must say!
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 06-06-2020 at 09:04 PM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Thanks! Lol. I've made more progress and am on 8-2 now. I can't seem to get around the two spinning razor wheels in the dry Koopa shell And I know the level hasn't even gotten crazy yet at that point lmao

That's funny about that guy's life count going down so much. I was padding it out by pausing and starting over if I knew it was a hopeless attempt.

7-3 wasn't too bad. At least I knew the objective and just needed the skill part down. Magic Bullet I was legitimately stumped haha

fwiw I loved battletoads and the turbo tunnels

*edit: okay, on the last level and seemingly can't find a key in the long vertical chasm with the lava filing up. :/

*dbl edit: Finally finished and well done! That was pretty clever, I must say!
    Good job! You're the first person to have beaten the world start to finish.
    I see you claimed a lot of world records on the later/harder stages there.
    You took the world record for 7-3 at 14 minutes, lol.

You also really, really took the record from the last guy to beat my final level.
    His world record time was a whopping 25 minutes!
    Once you figured out the trick with the key at the end, you totally went back to claim the world record on the level didn't you? lol.

Either way, thanks for suffering through... err.... playing my world! haha.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Good job! You're the first person to have beaten the world start to finish.
    I see you claimed a lot of world records on the later/harder stages there.
    You took the world record for 7-3 at 14 minutes, lol.

You also really, really took the record from the last guy to beat my final level.
    His world record time was a whopping 25 minutes!
    Once you figured out the trick with the key at the end, you totally went back to claim the world record on the level didn't you? lol.

Either way, thanks for suffering through... err.... playing my world! haha.
    LOL yeah, when I finally figured it out I had clocked in at something around 20-ish minutes and saw I had the record with even that, so I was like "I can totally do better than that!" heh. Thanks for giving me something to do this week, man!! <3

Also, the Mega Man touch in 8-3 was astonishing haha. Easily my favorite game franchise ever (think my Coachella board avatar is still a MM sprite). I laughed at myself because I didn't initially see the power ups at the bottom and seriously thought that I was gonna have to beat all of them as small Mario. Glad you weren't that much of a sadist. :P

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    LOL yeah, when I finally figured it out I had clocked in at something around 20-ish minutes and saw I had the record with even that, so I was like "I can totally do better than that!" heh. Thanks for giving me something to do this week, man!! <3

Also, the Mega Man touch in 8-3 was astonishing haha. Easily my favorite game franchise ever (think my Coachella board avatar is still a MM sprite). I laughed at myself because I didn't initially see the power ups at the bottom and seriously thought that I was gonna have to beat all of them as small Mario. Glad you weren't that much of a sadist. :P
    Yeah, I originally wanted to have all 8 pipes in that "Mega Man" type stage, but Mario maker has a limit on how many warp pipes you can use per level at only 4, so I had to double up the bosses in each pipe.
    I also originally had a checkpoint in that room too, so you could beat a couple pipes, save and keep your progress. But I realized the level was waaaay too easy then, especially for a level that was supposed to be the second to last level. So I scrapped the checkpoint.

Glad I gave you something to do and you had fun with my world this week, haha. I spent a little over a month making it. It got to the point where I was starting to run out of ideas too and felt maybe I went a bit too over my head in trying to make a full 38 course world. I wanted to make the levels as themed as I could. I see a lot of worlds out there that are just rubbish levels thrown together. like "running to the flag pole 100% clear rate" levels or levels that throw everything and the kitchen sink at you all at once. Those aren't fun.

I wanted to try and make the difficulty progressive. But I feel I may have ramped up the difficulty too soon with that magic bullet level, lol.
    Fun fact: I actually had to tone down the difficulty of that level so I could beat it, lol. Originally it was a LOT harder. The skewer section near the end was heavily altered to include more beetles and platforms to stand on. It was a lot harder before, too hard for a world 5 course.

But it's fun watching people try and beat them and see where they die and stuff. Once you upload a level, it gives you the option to go in as the maker and see where all the deaths are. It's really fun going into the levels and seeing where people are dying.

For example, my very first level, which I would consider a level for babies... only has a 57% clear rate... I think 72 people played it and only 40 beat it... And you look at the deaths and you scratch your head. Like, how are people dying on this level?
    Last edited by ManBurning; 06-07-2020 at 03:41 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Don't know how many Pokemon fans are here but...THEY FINALLY ANNOUNCED A NEW POKEMON SNAP GAME ALL IS NOT LOST!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    and it's literally called "New Pokemon Snap" so Nintendo rocks at naming things.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/star-wars-episode-i-racer-switch/

fuck yeah. my n64 copy has some issues (i think because i bought an off-brand expansion pack a few years ago after i realized my friend had stolen my original one back in high school...but at least he put the original memory pack back in the system) so this is awesome. and the fact that it's only $15 is really nice.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Is the game any good?

It’s interesting to compare how we respond to the graphics today, with another old (older) game, virtua racing. In my opinion, virtua racing looks really nice today, a kind of authentic retro feel. and it’s damn good fun to play and worth every penny. Pod racer just looks clunky.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Is the game any good?

It’s interesting to compare how we respond to the graphics today, with another old (older) game, virtua racing. In my opinion, virtua racing looks really nice today, a kind of authentic retro feel. and it’s damn good fun to play and worth every penny. Pod racer just looks clunky.
    i mean, yeah, it looks a little clunky. but it's really fun. the sound designer (jeff kliment) was one of the only teachers at flashpoint (where i got my useless degree in sound design for games) who actually taught me anything worthwhile. he worked on a lot of lucasarts games (including the entire monkey island series) and his work is top notch.

the game might not have the same value for you if you didn't play it as a kid, though. and it's HARD.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Moving this discussion here so as not to get too off-topic in covid coping thread...

Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I've read this several times and even slept on it and it's still not making sense to me. Are you sure you're not talking about a Wii? Because the Wii U will not play GC games without emulation, and the controller thing makes even less sense.I have a Wii U that I keep meaning to mod to play GC games but I'm also afraid of bricking it - even though it's supposed to be really frickin' easy - so it hasn't changed.
    yeah, as far as i know, the Wii will play gamecube games natively & has the controller ports to support it (which is how i played gamecube games for a long time after getting a Wii). but the WiiU doesn't work with gamecube controllers without the outboard gamecube to dual USB adapter, and even then, only for smash bros. it also doesn't have a disc-loading mechanism to detect the smaller discs, so i don't know how it would bring them in and mount them the way the Wii is able to do..
    The WiiU's vWii mode isn't just a matter of running the Wii's OS on the WiiU's hardware - the WiiU contains a separate Wii GPU that gets engaged in vWii mode - like a mini Wii. And so insofar as the Wii can play GC games, the WiiU can too (in vWii mode) without emulation. All you need to do is install the Homebrew channel to your vWii, copy Nintendont to an SD card along with your game backups, and you're good to go. Nintendont will detect Gamecube controllers connected via the Smash adapter (but will also work with most other wireless controllers). The games can be run in 16:9, and can be also customised with other little visual and gameplay enhancements (like turning off the horrible distance blur in Wind Waker). The results are significantly better than it's possible to get playing GC games on the Wii, even with the component cable. And if you do have a Wii you can use it to extract all your old saves from the GC memory card and transfer them over to the WiiU.

Definitely don't sell the WiiU! It's pretty close to the all-in-one pre-Switch Nintendo machine.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Me being a purest, I plunked down the money to get the GC component cables to run the original hardware for my streams. After testing a monster s-cable, av through a framemeister AND the GCHD Mk II, and nothing compares to the official cables. Hooking the GC straight up to the TV is the best bet unless you want some scanlines that some retro players prefer through a framemeister. If you don't wanna burn a hole in your pocket, the GCHD MKII has some more bells and whistles to it, but it is your best bet if you cannot afford the overpriced/rare official cables.

You will need a a model 1 GC since the later models do not have the digital out port.

Orrr you can just buy the component cables for the Wii and play your GC games on that, but I cannot bring myself to use it.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 07-10-2020 at 04:40 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I probably will pick up the component cable at some point, but more as a collectors' item. I had been planning to mod my GC with an HDMI output, but once I saw what was possible with the WiiU I just went with that. I do still run my GC though - I have it softmodded with Swiss and like to keep up with developments there.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    The WiiU's vWii mode isn't just a matter of running the Wii's OS on the WiiU's hardware - the WiiU contains a separate Wii GPU that gets engaged in vWii mode - like a mini Wii. And so insofar as the Wii can play GC games, the WiiU can too (in vWii mode) without emulation. All you need to do is install the Homebrew channel to your vWii, copy Nintendont to an SD card along with your game backups, and you're good to go. Nintendont will detect Gamecube controllers connected via the Smash adapter (but will also work with most other wireless controllers). The games can be run in 16:9, and can be also customised with other little visual and gameplay enhancements (like turning off the horrible distance blur in Wind Waker). The results are significantly better than it's possible to get playing GC games on the Wii, even with the component cable. And if you do have a Wii you can use it to extract all your old saves from the GC memory card and transfer them over to the WiiU.

Definitely don't sell the WiiU! It's pretty close to the all-in-one pre-Switch Nintendo machine.
    interesting! thanks for all that info. will definitely look into doing this. is it easy enough to extract the save data and move it to an SD card?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    interesting! thanks for all that info. will definitely look into doing this. is it easy enough to extract the save data and move it to an SD card?
    There are quite a few steps but they're all pretty straightforward. You need to have the Homebrew channel installed on your Wii (I think the Brawl exploit is the simplest method), then use GCMM to extract the save files and write them to an SD card. The files then need to be converted to a different format (gci > raw) to work with Nintendont - this can be done with Dolphin - then you're all set. I also had to manually edit mine to switch them over from the PAL versions of the games to the NTSC versions, but you shouldn't have this problem. It was well worth the effort to preserve mine and my brothers Double Dash records!

Oh, on your Wavebird issue: Definitely open it up and give it a good clean. If this doesn't help, you could try replacing the stickbox. This is fixed to the main PCB by a couple of small screws, so no desoldering required. You can use a donor stickbox from any of your other GC controllers to test. If it works, and you don't want to sacrifice one of your other controllers, a nice option is to pick up a secondhand Wii Classic Controller Pro (which uses exactly the same stickboxes) and use the box from the right stick, since these tend to be only lightly used (if at all).

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    After doing a few days of absence on Animal Crossing: New Horizons I logged on today to found one of my initial villagers, Egbert, wanted to leave. I released him into the wild. Jumped a few days ahead and did some villager hunting while on island tours.

I ended up finding Zucker and immediately asked him to stay. Now I need to make his yard all super kawaii. I'll probably do it as a project tonight.

Now I am hoping for Felicity to move out. I'd love a frog or koala to replace her. I'll take an elephant or a gorilla based on their looks.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

oh no.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Glad I've been holding off on Cadence of Hyrule this whole time!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)