Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Eh... it looks cool, but I don't really have the desire to bring my console anywhere on the go. I want this strictly for certain games, and that is something Nintendo has always had... great IP's that still bring older and newer fans back in. The controllers look a bit too tiny in that video IMO.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Eh... it looks cool, but I don't really have the desire to bring my console anywhere on the go. I want this strictly for certain games, and that is something Nintendo has always had... great IP's that still bring older and newer fans back in. The controllers look a bit too tiny in that video IMO.
    The controllers seem tiny when you separate them from the screen. They form a larger controller for home use, and there's also a more conventional shaped controller as well, the Switch Pro Controller. I would imagine the Pro Controller could be used during travel mode.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Looks awesome.
    Interested to see what Nintendo announce is the Direct Video in a week or so and to understand more about what the device is capable of. And how powerful the Nvidia Tegra chip is.

I think Nintendo did well this time around to not confuse people with the first video if you compare it to what the Wii U did. Not show any silly Mii stuff and dropped the whole kiddy image (not that its bad), Just stick to a device that is solely about the games. And that's what it should be.

I'm holding my breath for a Metroid annoucement.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Honest-to-God question here: How did you miss the different ways the controllers are used in the video? You said you watched it, and it starts out with a guy holding a pretty standard-size controller. It then shows a 'pro' controller when the guy goes into the living room to keep playing Skyrim.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    seems like a sort of rethinking of the concept Sony was trying to pitch with the PS Vita... which would have been fantastic if it had panned out the way they advertised it. They wanted you to think there were going to be all these games that were going to simultaneously launch for Vita and PS4/3, and that most of them would feature cross-buy, so if you bought the PS4 version digitally you'd get the Vita version for free, and then you could transfer saves back and forth via the cloud. They also tried to pretend that you'd be able to easily "remote play" your PS4 while away via wifi... cheers to whomever actually got that to work reliably. The other problem with their model was that practically nothing was available for cross-buy, which meant that if you wanted to have the game on-the-go you'd have to buy the Vita version separately... meaning that this really just ultimately resulted in poor Vita sales. I actually did finally buy both versions of a game (God Eater 2) so I could play it remotely. This meant that I bought the game for basically 100 dollars (60 for the PS4 version, 40 for the Vita), and really, I've been playing it almost entirely on Vita. It functions better as a portable game to help waste five minutes of time than it does as a AAA console game.

And I feel like an idiot. I still cannot understand why more companies aren't doing the cross-buy thing. I can't imagine there's too many other people out there who are willing to do the stupid thing I did there, so why not just have it be a purchase incentive for Vita owners who also have a PS4. One of the best things about PS+ is that every month I get free games for PS3, Vita, and PS4. If I had to pay separately for the PS+ plan for each platform, I wouldn't.

This design by Nintendo seems to accomplish what I wanted from the Vita as a to-go option, as it doesn't get bogged down in the whole separate purchase aspect: the standalone console copy is the same as the portable option. Cool. Is it backwards compatible with Wii and Wii U games? If so, I might pick one up.

I'm still more excited about the NES Classic Edition though

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Honest-to-God question here: How did you miss the different ways the controllers are used in the video? You said you watched it, and it starts out with a guy holding a pretty standard-size controller. It then shows a 'pro' controller when the guy goes into the living room to keep playing Skyrim.
    Yeaa, I definitely watched the video and I'm fully aware of the other controllers. It just looks silly when they are hovered over a tiny screen with tiny controllers in that segment of the video.

Edit: Pretty cool to hear that the switch will support Unreal Engine 4 .
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 10-21-2016 at 03:18 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I'd defend the Vita to some extent here, I've got way more cross-buy games on there than I even noticed at first. The last year or so has been pretty slim, but I have put time into a good chunk of games that just popped up as cross-buy/save. The one company that seemed to ruin everything was Square when they started releasing FFX and saying 'yeah saves work, but buy it twice'.. thats a real bummer as I would have jumped at the game had it been for both platforms, same with Dragon Quest Builders and World of FF. But oh well.

Anyway.. its a new Nintendo console, it looks pretty cool, the mini controllers look a bit meh, but we'll see! If its like £200 at launch with the new Zelda.. thats really appealing, but beyond that price range and I'm struggling to see why I wouldn't just save more for a laptop/ipad/scorpio/whatevers.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I'm not interested or impressed in the least. I wish I was as I miss some Nintendo franchise titles.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    The portability option is pretty cool.
    But i kind of wish that Nintendo would have just come out with a console that's comparable to the new xbox and playstation.
    Just, you know, a state of the art console that can have the same 3rd party games as the other systems, along with first party games (which are the reason i play nintendo.)

But my favorite thing about this is that the Wii U will most likely get cheaper-at very least the used ones will.
    I always stay a generation behind, so i'm still playing Wii, nintendo-wise (and actually i spend more time playing emulators on homebrew. I'm just a sucker for nostalgia.)

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I always stay a generation behind, so i'm still playing Wii, nintendo-wise (and actually i spend more time playing emulators on homebrew. I'm just a sucker for nostalgia.)
    Same here, buddy... same here.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I'm still more excited about the NES Classic Edition though
    Only three weeks left to wait!

I'm very very very old school about video games. I still have my Sega Game Gear and my Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance and my DS Lite. I've never owned big consoles.

I've just exhumed my Castlevania Adventure cartridge for the original Game Boy and I'm going to play it later tonight.

It's all about life's simple pleasures.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Only three weeks left to wait!

I'm very very very old school about video games. I still have my Sega Game Gear and my Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance and my DS Lite. I've never owned big consoles.

I've just exhumed my Castlevania Adventure cartridge for the original Game Boy and I'm going to play it later tonight.

It's all about life's simple pleasures.
    See, I've been the opposite. While I have owned the original Gameboy, Color, and Pocket (God I loved that thing) I've been more on the console front. I just purchased a Gamecube that was bundled with Metroid Prime for 25 bucks. Nintendo always does their own thing and I love them for that.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'm on the fence about the Switch. I hope it does well for them. I was all about nintendo as a kid. It was basically all there was until sega genesis blew up. Atari before all of that. They kinda lost me with the N64. Had a few good ones, but I hated the controller, and I hated what they did to some of their games (never been a huge fan of 3D castlevania games compared to the old school side-scrollers). Gamecube was awesome. Wii-U is pretty legit (bought one about a year ago), but it doesn't have much variety apart from their first party titles (which speak for themselves, fortunately). Hopefully, the Switch does well for them though. We need a nintendo in every console generation.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Going to get the Switch when it comes out.
    Went to XBox/Xbox360 after my N64 and was happy back then...but now I own a 3DS and WiiU and my NINtendo love is back again.
    They still act like the nice neighbours

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Is it true that they're discontinuing the Wii U? If so when will they discontinue the Wii U games to? My girlfriend and I planned on getting one between Black Friday and Christmas.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburningreptile View Post
    Is it true that they're discontinuing the Wii U? If so when will they discontinue the Wii U games to? My girlfriend and I planned on getting one between Black Friday and Christmas.
    Nintendo has stopped manufacturing the Wii U. I'm pretty sure they'll be plenty for the holidays but after that it'll probably be harder to find. Games will stick around much longer. It just depends on what games. Some Nintendo games become very hard to find fast.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Apparently the NES Classic is a hot item that's selling out and getting crazy prices from scalpers. All I can say is....why?

It's not like you haven't had a free option to play ALL of those games for well over a decade. I see the nostalgia appeal, but are you really so damn impatient that if you can't get it at the store, you'll shell out twice as much as retail just to get your soon-to-be crippled thumbs on one?

I'll stick with my $8 USB NES controller and a computer connected to the TV for now.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    It's not like this isn't getting another run. It's sold out...for now. It'll be back. These people trying to sell it for a grand are ridiculous. Hopefully, no one buys it that way.

On a side note, i'm about 60 percent sure i'm getting the new pokemon on friday...

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I wanted a Mini-Nes, but not for that much...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Ent...b076b849a8f999

Fuck them! i hope Nintendo releases a new version with more games

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    The thing is, Nintendo has been known to do this from time to time when there is a hot item, and they haven't been available for the customers in a decent rate, even after the second shipment. There is no reason why this should have happened. For what it is, I should be able to go buy one right now. People waiting in long lines, crashing sites, being sold out in minutes... just a bit ridiculous. It's almost as if Nintendo sold concert tickets. The second shipment will be minuscule, I'm calling it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Last night I saw a 3rd Party NES controller at Wal-mart (with a way longer cord), but of course there were none of the consoles.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    They have to be doing this on purpose. Build up hype. If you can't get one, you will probably want it more. They did it for the wii. The amiibo stuff as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    According to a Toys R Us employee when I stopped by on release day, they received 30 units of the NES Classic, and sold out in 10 minutes. Maybe Nintendo will change the cord length for future batches. I picked up Runbow, and Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams for Wii U, instead. Today I went back to check for a NES Classic.... still none, but picked up the SteamWorld Collection - SteamWorld Heist & SteamWorld Dig.
    Last edited by Findus; 11-15-2016 at 04:06 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Thank you all for the feedback. We decided to hold off on the Wii U. We're getting the switch in March. We are going to buy a 2DS today. Any recommended games? Mario Kart 7 comes with it and we are getting Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Ocarania of Time with it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburningreptile View Post
    Thank you all for the feedback. We decided to hold off on the Wii U. We're getting the switch in March. We are going to buy a 2DS today. Any recommended games? Mario Kart 7 comes with it and we are getting Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Ocarania of Time with it.
    my wife is OBSESSED with A Link Between Worlds. she puts her headphones on when she plays and yells at the game and it's like the sweetest thing ever. i haven't played it yet but she is very engrossed in it.

the New Super Mario Bros. games are all really fun.

the only thing i'll say is don't bother with Smash Bros. for the DS. i gave it to my best friend and she can't really play it because it's impossible to see anything that's happening on such a small screen.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Fuck this deliberate limited stock before xmas bullshit. I've had two orders for the classic fall through now. This has killed my enthusiasm for it entirely.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    My girlfriend was going to hit up Best Buy cause they are supposedly getting a few more classics in stock today. 45 minutes before the doors open and the line was already around the corner so she didn't bother. It's ridiculous how few of those things Nintendo has produced.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Nintendo ruined my excitement for the mini and I honestly just don't care about it anymore. I've moved on. Oh well, fuck you Nintendo.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Part of the problem are the parents who raise their kids to be spoiled, entitled assholes.

"BUT MOMMMMMMMMMMM, I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAVE TO HAVE TEH NINTENDOS!!!1" "Okay Timmy, I'm gonna go wait in line for hours instead of spending time with you. Or shell 2-4 times as much to buy one from some scalper."

Limited stock isn't a problem; consumerism and a lack of patience is. It's not like this is a rare item; it's just rare for the moment. Look at the original Wii. If you didn't have a pre-order, you didn't have one on opening day. Months and months later, they were still hard to come by. Now? Literally $40 at Gamestop for a used one. Low production numbers don't mean a damn thing if your mentality isn't "OMG I NEED THIS RIGHT NOWWWW". Production numbers aren't the problem. People are.

Different Nintendo topic: 11% stock drop after the release of Mario Run. Yikes.

Here's where they royally fucked up that release:
    -Announce title in huge press event that spreads like wildfire
    -In much smaller announcement weeks later, announce "oh by the way it'll be $10" that only Nintendo fanboys really take notice of
    -Weeks later, release game "free" at the App Store, only to be told after three levels that it's $10 to unlock the rest of the game.

See, consumers either knew and forgot about the price, or were duped by suddenly seeing it at no cost in the App Store and understandably thought "oh, maybe they've released it for free or made it a holiday special or something". Nope, Nintendo and/or Apple simply pulled a bait and switch. But there was such an immensely easy fix that would have saved so much of the complaining:

Release a goddamn demo version. Two apps in the store: Mario Run DEMO, and Mario Run. Now there's no way in hell that people will be confused when they're abruptly asked for money after getting a taste for the game, and most of the complaints will now be based solely on the personal opinion of whether or not the game is worth the price.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Part of the problem are the parents who raise their kids to be spoiled, entitled assholes.

"BUT MOMMMMMMMMMMM, I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAVE TO HAVE TEH NINTENDOS!!!1" "Okay Timmy, I'm gonna go wait in line for hours instead of spending time with you. Or shell 2-4 times as much to buy one from some scalper."

Limited stock isn't a problem; consumerism and a lack of patience is. It's not like this is a rare item; it's just rare for the moment. Look at the original Wii. If you didn't have a pre-order, you didn't have one on opening day. Months and months later, they were still hard to come by. Now? Literally $40 at Gamestop for a used one. Low production numbers don't mean a damn thing if your mentality isn't "OMG I NEED THIS RIGHT NOWWWW". Production numbers aren't the problem. People are.
    No, production numbers are the problem. They knew a shit ton of people were going to want this thing, especially leading up to Xmas. They just flat out didn't make enough of them. It's been impossible to find them other than rip-off prices on ebay. We've been constantly looking since release day.

Sure a Wii is 40 bucks at GameStop now but that's been the better part of a decade, I don't know any gamer that would be cool with waiting 10 years to get a new console they really wanted that is then an entire console generation behind.