Likes Likes:  0
Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: The Jack Ryan films

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

The Jack Ryan films

So, we're talking "The Hunt for Red October", "Patriot Games", "Clear and Present Danger", "The Sum of All Fears" and "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit".

So, my hot take...

The [what appears to be] autistic Jack Ryan of Hunt for Red October (almost manic, or maybe that's just Baldwin's eyes), and to a lesser degree The Sum of All Fears (think of Affleck in The Accountant and that's kinda where I'm getting it from, which he plays up well, right up until the points when he's being an Action Hero) where the analyst who passionate, dedicated and just needs to finish the task [to prevent catastrophe] is my favourite Jack Ryan. The Jack Ryan that Ford (mainly in Patriot Games) and Pine play are too... Action Hero-y. (Action Hero ref: when Affleck is driving the truck and Pine is on the motorcycle)

That being said, Clear and Present Danger is my favourite of the bunch, but mainly because of showing Ryan's loyalty.

The Sum of All Fears should have been two movies, one leading up the [SPOILER] and one dealing with the after effect, exploring the lead up and consequences more (and given the plot and the current state of things, make a remake isn't out of order).

I do like how in Shadow Recruit we get to see his back story unfold and how that manifests.
    Last edited by MrLobster; 03-21-2019 at 11:32 PM.