Thread: Further Down The Spiral not available through iTunes US anymore?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Further Down The Spiral not available through iTunes US anymore?

Apparently Further Down The Spiral isn't available on iTunes in the US now... Seems odd considering Trent's involvement with Apple. Anyone know anything about this? Was going give it a spin considering the date today.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOVEANDZOMBIES View Post
    Apparently Further Down The Spiral isn't available on iTunes in the US now... Seems odd considering Trent's involvement with Apple. Anyone know anything about this? Was going give it a spin considering the date today.
    Put on your CD

And that's Interscope not caring to put singles (as EPs and Singles are ranked the same for labels) onto media sites. Still not as annoying as the fact you can't buy Ghosts or The Slip in the UK on most platforms!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    It's been like this for the better part of a year now. NO idea why this kind of thing happens. For a while Lost Highway disappeared.

My guess is that each album, or even each track, is given some sort of shelf life and this is either renewed or not by whoever owns it. Perhaps they decided not to renew it for some reason? Closer to God EP also disappeared, then the tracks that are a part of TDS deluxe reappeared there.

I'm so frustrated with streaming ANYTHING - movies, music, etc for just this reason. I want to have something once and for all. Happy to pay for it too. I just don't want to have something taken away after having access to it. It's ridiculous.

I don't even know who we would talk to about this?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    It's been like this for the better part of a year now. NO idea why this kind of thing happens. For a while Lost Highway disappeared.

My guess is that each album, or even each track, is given some sort of shelf life and this is either renewed or not by whoever owns it. Perhaps they decided not to renew it for some reason? Closer to God EP also disappeared, then the tracks that are a part of TDS deluxe reappeared there.

I'm so frustrated with streaming ANYTHING - movies, music, etc for just this reason. I want to have something once and for all. Happy to pay for it too. I just don't want to have something taken away after having access to it. It's ridiculous.

I don't even know who we would talk to about this?
    Having it once and for all is called purchasing. CD, DVD, BD, Vinyl, Digital Download etc. Streaming doesn't have a guarantee of permanence, one of the reasons I gave it up - if you had it forever, then streaming services would charge far, far more

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks for the input - I have it, probably multiple copies - but don't mind grabbing it on iTunes for instant gratification. Was just very surprised. Thought Trent was on top of the 'ownership of his own music' thing these days. Til we meet again, lol.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOVEANDZOMBIES View Post
    Thanks for the input - I have it, probably multiple copies - but don't mind grabbing it on iTunes for instant gratification. Was just very surprised. Thought Trent was on top of the 'ownership of his own music' thing these days. Til we meet again, lol.
    Trent is not the only writer on that album, perhaps there's an issue there. 26 Mixes for Cash also isn't on online services...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ TR is the only credited writer... even though it says Aphex Twin "created" those two tracks, TR is still credited as their songwriter. I think "Interscope fucked up and let their digital rights lapse" is the most logical explanation. In case anybody was wondering, it's not on the Canadian store anymore, either.
    Last edited by botley; 03-09-2019 at 06:46 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    This could be a good thing though. If rights lapsed, maybe it means NIN can grab them and finally give us an ultimate version, with all tracks on one release

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    For what it's worth it may just be an apple thing. It is currently available for me on Google Play Music and YouTube Music
    Last edited by 3knic; 03-10-2019 at 11:41 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Last night I found a used copy of FDTS that I can load onto my hi-res player so forget you Apple Music!

I pay Apple a monthly fee just to have music yanked like this. It’s a terrible model.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Last night I found a used copy of FDTS that I can load onto my hi-res player so forget you Apple Music!

I pay Apple a monthly fee just to have music yanked like this. It’s a terrible model.
    That's how ALL streaming works. It's the library model, they have things until they don't.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    That's how ALL streaming works. It's the library model, they have things until they don't.
    Is there ANYTHING about what i have written that has led you to believe that I somehow do not understand how streaming music works? No need for condescension here.

I pay for an Apple Music subscription. I also OWN music as well that I play on a hi-res player. I understand how music (and movie) subscriptions work. What I am saying is that we should not accept this as somehow normal or okay. This model that has been chosen for us is exploiting both the artist and the customer.

"They have things until they don't". That's why this is a bad model.

There are many potential models that are not being tried. You assume that this is the only way to do this. It isn't.

One option would be that instead of infinite access to everything, any of which can be taken away from you without warning, you could pay for permanent streaming access to a song, album, title, or movie. Just like when you purchased a physical copy of the work back in the day. You are registered as having paid for that. Stream it wherever you want. It's wouldn't be hard to set up a system like that at all.

Apple Music isn't cheap. I'm not paying to preview new music. I am paying to HAVE music. For a "library" as you say.

That library used to be ours. It should still be. "Oh but they make more money this way!" Of course. And they would make even more by charging ten times as much too, but they don't. Because we all ultimately decide what is reasonable and what isn't. So for now, until streaming services do the right thing, I am beginning to amass a library of digital music again for myself, and hope to cut off Apple services soon once I collect everything that's important to me. Because screw this.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    This kind of shit is exactly why I refuse to rely on streaming platforms and am still rocking a 128GB iPod Touch.
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 03-13-2019 at 01:53 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    One option would be that instead of infinite access to everything, any of which can be taken away from you without warning, you could pay for permanent streaming access to a song, album, title, or movie. Just like when you purchased a physical copy of the work back in the day. You are registered as having paid for that. Stream it wherever you want. It's wouldn't be hard to set up a system like that at all.
    That's called purchasing. I do it all the time, my Amazon Music app is full of music I can stream whenever from the cloud because I purchased them. Some are no longer available to purchase, but I still have them. It's not untried, it's just not what streaming services provide. I don't use streaming services, for a few reasons, but one of them is this gripe of music fading away. Yes, $10 a month is cheaper for many than buying a new album a month (or more), but it's cheaper BECAUSE you're not purchasing it. There's no workaround, buy it or rent it.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    That's called purchasing. I do it all the time, my Amazon Music app is full of music I can stream whenever from the cloud because I purchased them. Some are no longer available to purchase, but I still have them. It's not untried, it's just not what streaming services provide. I don't use streaming services, for a few reasons, but one of them is this gripe of music fading away. Yes, $10 a month is cheaper for many than buying a new album a month (or more), but it's cheaper BECAUSE you're not purchasing it. There's no workaround, buy it or rent it.
    Agreed on this one - it is one of the main reasons that I love Google Play Music. Not only do my purchases remain forever, but I have the ability to upload my own music to stream so I'm able to have both v1 and v2 of Further Down The Spiral on there (which I have legally purchased both of those CDs multiple times over).

Although I wish FDTS would get released on vinyl. I'd love a definitive version that contains everything.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Dammit for the tenth time I understand HOW purchasing works. I understand how streaming works. I do both. I am saying this doesn’t HAVE to be the model. We accept that it is because the provider says so. I am saying there is a BETTER way to do this. I fully believe that people will figure that out too. The first step though if we have to stop accepting this as okay and vote with our dollars.

Paying money into a black hole forever and walking away with nothing is a lousy, exploitative model. Having it suddenly taken away is ridiculous. The whole point of music is that we build relationships with the individual songs and albums themselves, not just Music in general, happy with whatever the company chooses to dish out. This is the WHOLE reason Trent worked at Apple and ultimately quit - because he cared about this issue. He sees it the same way - that it is about a relationship with the specific music and not just a quick buck for the CEO.

This is why he recommends and sells vinyl and why I buy it, and why he still puts the music on streaming as well. He’s been fighting for most of his career for better delivery of the product to the people.

I would think that of all people, NIN fans who know anything about what Trent has been fighting for, for years now, would understand that I am advocating for the same.

His whole point has been “don’t just eat whatever is on that spoon they are feeding you with”.

So quit doing that. And dammit, quit telling me how steaming and purchasing currently work. I do both. I pay for both. I get it. I understand it. It’s bullshit. Trent acknowledges this and cares about it. You should too.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I would love to see nin app someday

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    I would love to see nin app someday
    http://www.nin.wiki/NIN:_Access

Can we just bring back this and the NIN forums etc?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I think we're done here.