Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kate Bush

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Kate Bush

This is a thread to celebrate the wonder that is Kate Bush. 2011 brought us two Bush releases, Directors Cut and the hauntingly brilliant 50 Words For Snow.
    For someone who normally takes forever and a new moon in between releases, fans of Kate were truly spoiled this year.
    50 Words..... is still growing on me, it's creeping it's way in there to being a really great album. Wild Man is great and Among Angels is really beautiful.
    As for Directors Cut, I was a little apprehensive when I learned that this album would be selected older tracks re recorded, but it really does sound fantastic and (IMO) is a fine and faithful accompaniment to the original songs.

Anyone have any thoughts about Kates two album releases this year, or just any thoughts at all they wish to share on Kate?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've been hearing her name for a long time now, and she's listed as an influence among many of my favorite bands (in particular, the Knife), but I only decided to listen this year after I fell in love with Placebo's cover of "Running Up That Hill" without realizing that it was a cover. I really like the album Hounds of Love and am planning on checking out 50 Words For Snow at some point. I can definitely see how she was a weird, obscure musical figure in the 70s and 80s, but now that kind of thing is pretty par for the course, something she no doubt contributed to. If you like that spooky mystic mama type of thing (Bat For Lashes), this would probably be right in line.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Haven't heard either of the new ones yet unfortunately.

Adore Never for Ever, Hounds of Love, Aerial and above all...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post
    Haven't heard either of the new ones yet unfortunately.

Adore Never for Ever, Hounds of Love, Aerial and above all...

The Dreaming is a great album. I think it was the first time that Kate was given 100% control in the studio.....and she went for it big time. She went Fairlight crazy on these songs. I have heard people call this album a ton of self indulgent art wank, but if you give it time and listen carefully there is much to enjoy. What other album can you name with donkey impressions on it? Hehe.....
    It's regarded as Kates masterpiece by many fans now.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Dale Cooper View Post
    What other album can you name with donkey impressions on it?
    scott walker's the drift actually HAS a braying donkey on it! coincidentally, that record & the dreaming are two of my all time favorites as far as unsettling records go. definitely my favorite of the lot, though i love the sensual world, never for ever, and the latest. i'm not a fan of the kick inside or the red shoes, but everything else is GOLDEN!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^^ Thanks for the Walker album info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Info from http://www.katebushnews.com/
    Whatever your thoughts about applying a “prog rock” label on to Kate’s music, there’s no denying that this looks like a nice special issue from the makers of Classic Rock magazine. It features a new interview with Kate and reader’s top 25 tracks among other Kate-related content. The quote from David Gilmour on the cover reads: “Those who have followed in her shadow are but pale imitations…” This edition hits shop shelves in the UK, Ireland and possibly other places from next Wednesday 28th December.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tried several times to get 'into her.'

Can't and still can't. :|

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^^ Fair enough.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Kate Bush announces first live shows since 1979

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...ows-since-1979

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Before The Dawn is out now and it's fucking incredible. Sound quality is amazing and apparently no overdubs. The vinyl box is a glorious beast.
    http://www.katebush.com/news/kate-re...ive-album-dawn

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    She's been outed as a Tory supporter! Pretty funny watching everyone getting upset at the fact she's turned out to be the intolerable kind of crazy

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    She's been outed as a Tory supporter! Pretty funny watching everyone getting upset at the fact she's turned out to be the intolerable kind of crazy
    ?? Explain por favor.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I thought all she said was Theresa May seems sensible. Compared to the lunacy that's going on now in our politics that doesn't seem too bad an opinion. Sorry but jeremy corbyn sucks and the Tory Anna Soubry is about the only politician I like right now

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    She said she's wonderful, there's nothing to worry about, best thing to happen in a long time etc

Considering May is the leader of Tories and hardly a moderate, I don't really see how it could be interpreted as anything but support for the Tories

Corbyn has tons of problems but with a quarter of a million homeless, fucked trains, a failing education system, Murdoch filling everyone's heads with shite, civil liberties being flushed every other month (we now rank as "partially free" on a few global indexes), no end in sight to our blowback generating foreign policy, an ever more privatised NHS and so on, I don't know how anyone with a single foot on the ground could support the Tories anymore.

Their stock in trade is the safe pair of hands for the economy and after Osbourne' s myriad failings we can hardly say that either. We now face a brexit triggered recession and a debt of at least 122bn, costly trading with the eurozone, and all the while they snip away at the state and fence off avenues to mobility.

Their dithering and duplicity over brexit has betrayed and offended left and right. They are toast, I don't know how to begin defending them

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camille View Post
    Before The Dawn is out now and it's fucking incredible. Sound quality is amazing and apparently no overdubs. The vinyl box is a glorious beast.
    http://www.katebush.com/news/kate-re...ive-album-dawn
    Agreed! Love that she chose not to over-compress the mix, which gives the whole sound some amazing dynamics (that helicopter sound!) and air to breathe

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    She said she's wonderful, there's nothing to worry about, best thing to happen in a long time etcConsidering May is the leader of Tories and hardly a moderate, I don't really see how it could be interpreted as anything but support for the Tories Corbyn has tons of problems but with a quarter of a million homeless, fucked trains, a failing education system, Murdoch filling everyone's heads with shite, civil liberties being flushed every other month (we now rank as "partially free" on a few global indexes), no end in sight to our blowback generating foreign policy, an ever more privatised NHS and so on, I don't know how anyone with a single foot on the ground could support the Tories anymore.Their stock in trade is the safe pair of hands for the economy and after Osbourne' s myriad failings we can hardly say that either. We now face a brexit triggered recession and a debt of at least 122bn, costly trading with the eurozone, and all the while they snip away at the state and fence off avenues to mobility.Their dithering and duplicity over brexit has betrayed and offended left and right. They are toast, I don't know how to begin defending them
    I have loved Kate Bush for 20 years... i dont give a fuck who she supports...
    And you honestly think Jeremy Corbyn has the skills to guide Britain through the clusterfuck that is Brexit....Get real...Corbyn is limp...
    That is why he is 18 points behind...
    Even Diane Abbot says Labour have a year to turn around the poll numbers.....
    Again he is not a revolution of any sort to Britain...we have been there, its 50 years old...its bullshit...
    People are bored of his sort

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I just bought Hounds of Love and Sensual World (her two best albums according to the Allmusic Guide). Listening to Hounds of Love now and think it's fantastic. She's been compared to Tori (who I love), so it's no surprise that I'm really enjoying Kate Bush too. Kind of just diving into her music now, so there's a lot to explore.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I’m so glad that I finally found Kate’s music. she’s quickly become one of my favorites!
    so far I have collected The Dreaming, Hounds of Love & The Sensual World on LP, as well as The Other Sides CD, and a few 7” singles.

EDIT:
    This thread seems incomplete without this tune
    Last edited by Soma; 09-19-2020 at 01:54 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    She's been compared to Tori
    Probably the other way round.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camille View Post
    Probably the other way round.
    Probably depends of the age of the person that you are talking to. For a younger person who discovered Tori in the 90's/'00s, they may have gotten into Bush's music via Tori. I saw some people talking about Kate Bush on a Facebook group, so I bought one of her albums based on their recommendations.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 10-15-2020 at 06:49 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Like several of you, I didn't discover Kate Bush until recently. I want to say maybe 2 years ago. Needless to say, I'm a big fan now.

How could you not love this?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

"Cloudbusting" is seriously one of the best songs ever made.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post

"Cloudbusting" is seriously one of the best songs ever made.
    That is a great song.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Top 10 in the US charts, mind you. Her songs had been highly charting upon original release in the UK, continental Europe, and Australia.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Running up that Hill is possibly one of my favourite songs of all time. Just bizarre that she decided to just stop making music

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Wuthering Heights is a pinnacle in pop song writing. She wrote it when she was still a teen, which makes it even more amazing.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post
    Top 10 in the US charts, mind you. Her songs had been highly charting upon original release in the UK, continental Europe, and Australia.
    I'm not sure how much she has toured outside of the U.S. Otherwise she might have a bigger fanbase stateside.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Running up that Hill is possibly one of my favourite songs of all time. Just bizarre that she decided to just stop making music
    She's kind of like Billy Joel in that regard.