Thread: Whats the story behind Trent, Pharrell, & Lapdance?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Whats the story behind Trent, Pharrell, & Lapdance?

Does anyone know the story behind how and why these two got connected and why TR remixed Lapdance? N.E.R.D.'s label is Virgin, so its not like Interscope connected them? Did they met somewhere and liked each other? TR saw them perform live and wanted to help?

There's nothing on ninwiki regarding Pharrell, N.E.R.D., Neptunes, or Lapdance.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Lapdance is a great song.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I'm not aware of any particularly juicy back story, Pharrell probably just reached out to TR's team and commissioned the remix and dropped by to visit Nothing Studios. Pretty simple. The following year TR did this remix, also kinda out of the blue:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for this thread. I have always loved this song and was introduced to it by TR's remix (oh the glorious old days of regular in studio pics put on nin.com)

I searched high and low for a physical copy and eventually bought a promo CD

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    It's interesting how much Trent has flirted with rap and hip hop over the years. He did the Puff Daddy remix in the 90s, brought in Dr. Dre to assist with Even Deeper, the N.E.R.D. remix, the unreleased Zack de la Rocha album, his guest spot (with Atticus) on El-P's I'll Sleep When You're Dead, and finally Saul Williams' NiggyTardust. And yet, he hasn't really discussed how much influence that it's had on him as an artist or what he even listens to.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    It's interesting how much Trent has flirted with rap and hip hop over the years. He did the Puff Daddy remix in the 90s, brought in Dr. Dre to assist with Even Deeper, the N.E.R.D. remix, the unreleased Zack de la Rocha album, his guest spot (with Atticus) on El-P's I'll Sleep When You're Dead, and finally Saul Williams' NiggyTardust. And yet, he hasn't really discussed how much influence that it's had on him as an artist or what he even listens to.
    I don't think that's true. He has credited Public Enemy as an influence going all the way back to the Pretty Hate Machine liner notes, and certainly flew that flag for the Bomb Squad influencing Year Zero. Around the time of The Fragile he was talking about how hip-hop was 'more dangerous/edgy than rock right now', and so forth. When people have asked, he talks about it. It's just that most music journalists don't ask those questions.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I don't think that's true. He has credited Public Enemy as an influence going all the way back to the Pretty Hate Machine liner notes, and certainly flew that flag for the Bomb Squad influencing Year Zero. Around the time of The Fragile he was talking about how hip-hop was 'more dangerous/edgy than rock right now', and so forth. When people have asked, he talks about it. It's just that most music journalists don't ask those questions.
    Oh yeah. I'm aware he's talked about rap/hip hop in the past. It's just that, as you said, nobody really asks him about it, even though he's done some work in the field.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    You can hear alot of Hip Hop influence on PHM, Year Zero and Hesitation Marks.

Also speaking of Ice Cube, his group Westside Connection sampled Hurt on their first album.

Last edited by nooneimportant; 02-23-2019 at 05:39 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    You can hear alot of Hip Hop influence on PHM, Year Zero and Hesitation Marks.

Also speaking of Ice Cube, his group Westside Connection sampled Hurt on their first album.

Id throw The Fragile in there too. Where Is Everybody is about as hip hop as they come.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I would contend, as I have before, that musically, Hesitation Marks was largely a hip hop album. If you listen to the instrumentation and rhythms, and how he composed it in a similar manner as rap artists do, it's only the vocals that are really different. I think Everything and one or tow other tracks would be the only exception.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Don't forget getting Ice Cube for the Bowie remixes. I remember some interview from long long ago where he mentioned Ice Cube being the best rapper ever.

I also recall a while back when he was talking about that disastrous Chris Cornell / Timbaland album he mentioned Jimmy Iovine tried to get him to work with The Neptunes around the time of With Teeth. I wonder if that might have had anything to do with the remix.... although the dates don't really line up.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I feel the same question could be "what's the deal between Trent, Queen and the two remixes"
    Just because NIN isn't in the same genre, doesn't mean the remix is weird imo

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I feel the same question could be "what's the deal between Trent, Queen and the two remixes"
    Just because NIN isn't in the same genre, doesn't mean the remix is weird imo
    I take your point, but in that case we do know that Hollywood Records (which was/is Queen's record label in the USA) farmed out various tracks to various "hip" producers, one of which was TR, to entice young'uns to buy their 20 Years remastered studio album CDs. They just declined to actually use TR's on the albums...

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Since we're talking about NIN and hip hop, I'm obligated to drop this here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post

Does anyone know the story behind how and why these two got connected and why TR remixed Lapdance? N.E.R.D.'s label is Virgin, so its not like Interscope connected them? Did they met somewhere and liked each other? TR saw them perform live and wanted to help?

There's nothing on ninwiki regarding Pharrell, N.E.R.D., Neptunes, or Lapdance.
    Might also be to do with the raging similarities between Lapdance and “Angel with Scabbed Wings” off of Antichrist Superstar?