Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Skinny Puppy's VIVIsectVI Tour Support in 1988

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    So, video from NIN's archive labeled "first live show", confirmed to be the Phantasy, and NIN live created to support Skinny Puppy. Occam's razor says that that's a video of NIN opening for Skinny Puppy at the Phantasy in 1988.
    Regarding the Cleveland poster, I think that's probably just revisionist history on Trent's part. If you read some of Trent's interviews from 1989, he totally bashes the 1988 appearances and the band, so I think saying the 1989 date was NIN's Cleveland debut is his way of trying to erase, disavow, or just ignore the 1988 stuff.
    According to both quotes, for Trent, the first live show is in 1989

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Trent often bends his recollections to suit the situation. On the CABAI tour he often remembered JAMC/NIN 1990 as the first NIN tour, as if 1989 never happened.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Trent often bends his recollections to suit the situation. On the CABAI tour he often remembered JAMC/NIN 1990 as the first NIN tour, as if 1989 never happened.
    I think it's nearly true.

1989 was a bunch of promo shows..more or less 10 maximum.. mostly near the East Coast

JAMC/NIN 1990 was 26 dates around USA and NIN did it in a van all together during a little more than 1 month, before an other 24 dates with peter Murphy, also during a month or so.

this is not the same mood.

I can't easily say there was a NIN tour in 2017.. just some shows.. this is the same in 1989

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    @CAMEO172 , what's the source/info you have about the first date being Oct. 6 at the Phantasy Nite Club?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    @CAMEO172, what's the source/info you have about the first date being Oct. 6 at the Phantasy Nite Club?
    just need to add a random date in the system, nothing is sure !

I have found a fan at the Graffiti (Pittsburgh) on OCTOBER 27, 1988 !! So Washington is not the first date of this 1988 tour for NIN !

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I still like that they came to Calgary for this tour (at a club I would later quite enjoy going to from the mid-90s on, but being 10 for most of 1988, well... wasn't going to happen)... and then not again until With Teeth.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    They didn't go to Calgary. They didn't go to Canada at all.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Here's an advertisement for the Huntington show:
    https://mds.marshall.edu/cgi/viewcon...text=parthenon

Advertisement for Graffiti:
    https://rocktourdatabase.com/sites/r...8-10-20c_1.jpg

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    great findings !!!!

It seems that Chris Vrenna told in an Interview that Graffiti is the very first NIN date.. Of course I can't find this interview and of course his memory can be wrong !

At least, we now have the real name (and adress) of the Club at Huntington !

I really wonder how people are sure the "NIN cleveland 1989" is for sure at the Phantasy..we will probably never have all the answers about this short video.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Someone on setlist.fm is saying that the Huntington show was cancelled by the venue, and that could be the case, because in the Parthenon newspaper on the day of the show, Oct. 25, the Cafe advertisement is for a generic Tuesday dance night, and not the concert. And the Cafe did update the ads in the Parthenon every day, because, for example, here's an ad for a show that was cancelled the day of the show, due to lack of ticket sales. Or, for example, this other Tuesday night show, which had a "Tonight Tonight Tonight" ad in the paper the day of the show.

Here are a couple more advertisements for the Huntington show, this time the newspaper is not yellowed:

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMEO172 View Post
    It seems that Chris Vrenna told in an Interview that Graffiti is the very first NIN date.. Of course I can't find this interview and of course his memory can be wrong !
    It was in this interview:

At the 12:20 mark, Chris says they did 6 dates for SP. He then recalls, quite vividly how it all went down. He says the first show was Thursday in Pittsburgh, and remembers driving out there in Trent's car. He says they received the call to join the tour on the Saturday/Sunday before, so they only had a few days to throw the show together, which jibes with what Trent has said in other interviews. The fact that he remembers the days of the week quite vividly (and correctly) and cEvin Key also recalls that soundcheck at the first show in Pittsburgh, is quite compelling.

So, if Graffiti is the first show, and Chris says they hadn't even thought about playing live before having to throw everything together for the SP tour, then that Cleveland show is either in those few days before Graffiti, or, perhaps more likely, at some point after Skinny Puppy concludes. And if Graffiti is indeed the first SP show, then according to the calendar we have, that means they did 6 SP shows, which also jibes with what Chris said in that interview. And, Chris also said specifically that it was to support East Coast dates. Graffiti through the end of the tour is East Coast. Earlier dates would have been Midwest. So that also tracks.

Edit: Trent says 8 SP shows in this interview. And there was another interview (which I can't find) where he said 10 shows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nothing major to contribute, but I wanted to chime in that in the photos from the in-store signing upthread, Richard Patrick is wearing a t-shirt for the Phantasy nightclub in Cleveland, which would sure make sense with them having very recently played there.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbletea View Post
    Nothing major to contribute, but I wanted to chime in that in the photos from the in-store signing upthread, Richard Patrick is wearing a t-shirt for the Phantasy nightclub in Cleveland, which would sure make sense with them having very recently played there.
    This record signing was in Royal Oak, MI before their show at St. Andrew’s Hall. https://ninlive.com/shows/1990/19900728.html