Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Skinny Puppy's VIVIsectVI Tour Support in 1988

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Skinny Puppy's VIVIsectVI Tour Support in 1988

Hi,

At this time of my own investigation, here is my view :

Sure :
    - October 21 1988 : Phantasy Theatre (Cleveland) - USA (Sure according to Closure DVD)
    - October 31, 1988 : Irving Plaza (New York City) - USA : Skinny Puppy show is sure according to poster and newpaper. NIN is only sure according to bootleg Show Up or Throw Up
    - November 02, 1988 : City Gardens (Trenton) - USA : sure according to newspaper review where NIN is cited (thanks TheBang)

Wrong date :
    October 30, 1988 : 9:30 Club (Washington DC) - USA : according to newspaper 2 days before the show, Mark Of Kane was the opener : this band was opener and a lot of date. I have info at Austin, Phoenix for example.
    I think Montreal is also wrong but I have to find the newspaper to be sure. It's a big journey for a young band for just a date !

Doubt :
    - Oct 22, 1988 - Detroit, St Andrews Hall : the venue and date is sure for Skinny Puppy (promo 20 days before) but nothing about the opener
    - Oct 23, 1988 - Cincinnatti, Bogarts : sure for skinny puppy with the ticket. I do have 2 or 3 newspapers dealing with. This night, at least Ogre and Cevin finished in jail cause someone in the venue though the dog puppet was real. This is mainly why I got papers about this night. Nothing about NIN or any opener
    - Oct 26, 1988 - Columbus : I have an echo, no venue and nothing about opener
    - Oct 27, 1988 - Pitsburgh - Graffiti : 2 or 3 newspapers about the date but nothing for the opener
    - Nov 01, 1988 - Philadelphia - Chestnut Cabaret : a Skinny Puppy date according to 2 newspapers 4 and 3 days before the show, always without opener name
    opener
    I can't find anything about the other dates.

Any help is welcome
    Last edited by CAMEO172; 02-05-2019 at 10:40 AM.

Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    I don't have any primary documentation to offer I'd only just turned two years old when this tour kicked off, LOL but from interviews I've read with Reznor, he has stated they were only asked to open at these shows as a last-minute replacement for another act, so it's logical that other bands would have been opening on some (most?) of the other dates instead. TR has repeatedly expressed embarrassment for how clunky NIN was onstage at this point and felt they didn't connect with the Skinny Puppy crowd... given that, it's actually surprising that they lasted as an opener through November, even if sporadically.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    There are a few interviews with Vrenna where he talks about that tour among other things. Says NIN were asked to join SP for the remainder of a tour (8 or so dates) starting with Cleveland. The whole idea came along as TR was in talks with Nettwerk at that point and it seemed logical for two bands from the same label to tour together.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMEO172 View Post
    October 30, 1988 : 9:30 Club (Washington DC) - USA : according to newspaper 2 days before the show, Mark Of Kane was the opener : this band was opener and a lot of date. I have info at Austin, Phoenix for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    but from interviews I've read with Reznor, he has stated they were only asked to open at these shows as a last-minute replacement for another act
    Yes, that's what I've read in several other places too, and for that reason, I think it's possible that the Washington newspaper ran with old promo copy for when Mark of Kane was still planned to be the opener, and that NIN did, in fact, open anyway. So, I wouldn't take that promo as gospel just yet as to what actually happened that night.

I think Montreal is also wrong but I have to find the newspaper to be sure.
    NIN did not go to Canada at all. Kitten with a Whip opened for all those dates. I've documented several sources of confirmation for that here: http://www.nin.wiki/Talk:VIVIsectVI_Tour

I've tried to wipe out those Canada dates everywhere that I can.

Doubt :
    Can you please post these newspaper articles anyway, so that we can at least have confirmation of the dates and venue, even if it doesn't tell us if NIN opened or not?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    NIN is only sure according to bootleg Show Up or Throw Up
    BTW, an interesting nugget, I read this recently somewhere (I wish I could remember where), but "Show Up or Throw Up" was the name of the Skinny Puppy afterparty.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I would love to see SP open for NIN someday

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    If you want to use these newspapers, please copy them so the bandwidth is not used by HIH. ( a tiny link to the site would be great near the use )
    I have even more but these are the same info. I have a great newspaper warning for NY show by SP, telling to eat before the gig but coming with a vomit bag as there is a video of vivisection !

I definitely understand the idea of adding these dates by default.. just in case of.

I will not do it on Happiness in Heresy cause I don't want to spread potential wrong dates.

And, of course, maybe Washington DC info is wrong and less than 2 days before the show, there was a swipe of opener. A good proof would be having Make of Kane announced on New York Halloween Date. As we are nearly sure this is wrong, it can have weight for the day before.
    I have tried to find more info on Mark of Kane inside 1988 newspapers but at this time nothing appears clearly.

Can we read Chris interview dealing with this period somewhere ?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Those articles about Chud are great.

edit: What song did they use him for?
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 02-06-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Trent talks about Nettwerk and the Skinny Puppy tour in detail here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160424...cle.php?id=635

So, given the last minute nature of the tour, I think it's quite possible that the Washington paper did not receive updated promo copy that Mark of Kane was no longer the opener.

Bonus: Googling Mike Fiscus's name brought up this page:
    http://xoxoabbyxoxox.tumblr.com/post...n-royal-oak-mi

It says NIN from 1989, but it must be 1990. That sign on the wall says "Meet Nine Inch Nails, Sat. July 28 at Blitz Records at 5:00 PM. Then see them live at St. Andrew's Hall."

July 28, 1990 during the Hate tour is when they were at St. Andrew's.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Bonus: Googling Mike Fiscus's name brought up this page, NIN from 1990:
    http://xoxoabbyxoxox.tumblr.com/post...n-royal-oak-mi
    Holy shit. That's awesome.
    Last edited by ninlive; 02-06-2019 at 06:45 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    Holy shit. That's awesome.
    Edited my post. It's 1990, not 1989.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    https://www.chaoscontrol.com/tweaker...time-eternity/
    http://www.providermodule.com/forum/...pireFreaks-com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)