Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bring Me The Horizon

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Bring Me The Horizon

New album is out, and surprise! It is controversial once again for fans. I thought I was going to hate it, but it is really starting to grow on me with every listen. MUCH more enjoyable than their previous effort with an unexpected focus on some electronics which they seem to pull off.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    This band jumped the shark with their sound and sound like trend riders to me very much in the vein of Linkin Park.

I think this crap is regurgitated shit that sounds like music fads of the time. As a big fan of Bowie I appreciate change and evolution in sound but this just seems totally inauthentic to me. It is too radical of a change to seem like it was a gradual thing of passion.

As I said in the one appropriate metal thread the only album I enjoyed by them as Suicide Season and the remix version.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Learning to appreciate Sempiternal was an important moment in my musical development - as counter-intuitive as that might seem considering that 1) this band is largely regarded as Warped Tour dreck in most "credible" alternative circles 2) I had already heard and cultivated an enjoyment of actual underground hardcore and metal by that point and "should have" aged out of such stuff. That record facilitated a break through with my own kind of internal aesthetic sophistry regarding "polish" and various other subtler sonic and compositional choices, and made me actually appreciate the music as an earnest artistic and emotional expression. There's a line from me getting over my stumbling blocks with this band to then recognizing the craft of even a few bands outside of Bring Me The Horizon's world. This is probably going to sound utterly perverse to some people: but Bring Me probably made me like Vampire Weekend more, the haughty derision with which I used to regard both being not so different after all.

I'm of the thought that new record Amo is probably the most idiosyncratic record the band has ever put out, if not the most vulnerable or intimate. It's a little all over the map, and weird in that lowercase 'w' way only bands with such poppy (or more commercial if you want to be cynical) sensibilities can be. I never thought their take on death metal on Count Your Blessings was particularly good1 and feel they've mostly gotten better as they have moved closer to what we might term here "pop rock." There's a couple of worthwhile aesthetic flavors that have gotten lost in their transition away from pop metalcore, but I understand why. My hope is just that Syke's lyricism improves further - which has always been a soft spot - even when it basically works.

1.Also the misogyny which persists still a bit into Suicide Season
    Last edited by Alabaster Creature; 12-03-2022 at 01:52 AM. Reason: minor quibble over language in the footnote, only excision is from that bit. As for Syke's lyricism? Not his project.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    For the record, I had no idea who this band was a couple months ago. I tend to live under a rock when it comes to most "new music" (But I have been trying to get better with that and get into more "new" stuff lately)

Anyway, the reason why I chose to listen to this band is, they are playing the Sonic Temple festival, which I will be attending in May. So I did myself a favour and YouTubbed all the artists I had never heard of to see if I could find some new music I would like. So, the first song that I ever heard according to the YouTube algorithm of what was "trending" was Wonderful Life, oddly enough featuring none other than Dani Filth from Cradle of Filth, so I was integrated.

So, mind you, this was the only BMTH song I had ever heard in my life at this point. I had nothing else to compare them too. I thought it was a decent song. I'm more into more darker/electronic/industrial music, so it wasn't really my thing, but at the same time, I didn't hate it. I thought this was what their whole back catalog sounded like, so I never bothered to watch anything else.

Then as the months went on, I kept seeing more and more hype and articles and reaction videos about this band all over the internet. Internet was polarized about what happened to their "precious metalcore band" so this peaked my interest again. Metalcore? Band sounded far from it. Sounded pretty poppy to me...
    Then more songs from the album started coming out, and each become more and more poppier than the last. Through all of this, I still did not bother to look into their back catalog for whatever reason. Just carried on with my day.

Then, I saw the full record was released a couple days ago, I decided what the hell... let's give it a spin. After the first listen, I was obviously quite confused with this record... I said to myself "This is supposed to be a metal or hard rock band?" I had grown increasingly more and more confused yet interested. More and more metal sites and YouTube channels started reviewing this album... I was confused. Metal sites like pop bands? That's when I listened to their old stuff. Then I saw what the world was going on about.

I continued to listen to the new record a few times, but the one track that I really kept going back to was Nihilist Blues:

I found this to be the most interesting track on the record. There was something about this track that really grabbed me.
    Then I decided to throw the record on in full again the next day, and I all of a sudden just "got it" like, I thoroughly enjoy this record, for the most part.
    There are a couple songs on here I can do without, but for the most part, there are a good 9-10 tracks on this thing. I was hooked. Dare I say... I actually like this BETTER than their older stuff. It took a couple listens, but this record is pretty solid actually, and I don't normally like this style of music.

One of my other favourite tracks has to be Heavy Metal, as the lyrics are just hilarious. Just calling out their fans for saying they aren't "Heavy" anymore. The song is great.
    Total self referencing. Just awesome.

I'd probably give "Amo" a solid 8/10

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I found this to be the most interesting track on the record. There was something about this track that really grabbed me.
    Then I decided to throw the record on in full again the next day, and I all of a sudden just "got it" like, I thoroughly enjoy this record, for the most part.
    There are a couple songs on here I can do without, but for the most part, there are a good 9-10 tracks on this thing. I was hooked. Dare I say... I actually like this BETTER than their older stuff. It took a couple listens, but this record is pretty solid actually, and I don't normally like this style of music.

One of my other favourite tracks has to be Heavy Metal, as the lyrics are just hilarious. Just calling out their fans for saying they aren't "Heavy" anymore. The song is great.
    Total self referencing. Just awesome.

I'd probably give "Amo" a solid 8/10
    Love this post. I honestly cannot remember where I first heard them, but at the time I was a sucker for breakdowns and heavy music so this fit right into my personal catalog. I was always a fan I guess you could say, but I never ran out to buy any of their albums up until maybe If There Is A Hell came out since It Never Ends is probably one of their best songs to date, and ultimately stood out to me. Sempiternal showcased some of their best work to date, but unfortunately it is bogged down by an empty second half. Once they decided to turn into a more "Rocky/Poppy" sound, I wasn't thrilled, but I was open to it. That's The Spirit was a big hit and miss for me musically, but there are a few songs I still visit to this day.

Enter the new album... I pretty much had the same experience you did on my first listen, with my second making sense and me "Getting it" as you might say. Nihilist Blues stood out to me immediately, with them letting Grimes shine on this one giving it a little bit of her flavor, which I always wish more bands would do with featured artists these days. Heavy Metal was a pleasant surprise once I heard what it was about, following a sarcastic heavy/screaming section at the end. There are a decent amount of lyrics that are not too deep, but easily accessible and also relatable in some instances.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    My mind is blown, as I just figured out something about the track Heavy Metal that has been itching me since I heard it. Where Oli sings "Cause a kid on the 'gram said he used to be a fan, but this shit ain't heavy metal." This is a complete throwback to this song from 1996 by Mr.President - Coco Jamboo. Mind is blown and I feel old.

Makes me like the song even more .
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 01-27-2019 at 08:28 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Generally don't like anything pre Sempiternal from them. I love That's the Spirit. Doomed is such an excellent song. Amo is decent. It's going to need a few more spins but I really like Sugar Honey Ice and Tea. My best friend got us tickets to see them next week for christmas/my birthday. So hyped. I saw them once but it was back in 2010 at Warped Tour (saw Dillinger Escape Plan that day too, the beginning of my obsession) when I didn't know anything outside of Diamonds Aren't Forever. It was hot as fuck all day. And as soon as BMTH got ready to go on, the sky turned black, severe thunderstorm sirens going off. Once they started, it started pouring some heavy ass rain. Stopped right after their set. Fucking crazy.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    My best friend got us tickets to see them next week for christmas/my birthday.
    Inwas going to grab tickets for an NYC show with Thrice playing before them, but work got in the way! They're booked until like end of July.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    My mind is blown, as I just figured out something about the track Heavy Metal that has been itching me since I heard it. Where Oli sings "Cause a kid on the 'gram said he used to be a fan, but this shit ain't heavy metal." This is a complete throwback to this song from 1996 by Mr.President - Coco Jamboo. Mind is blown and I feel old.

Makes me like the song even more .
    I don't get it... Can you explain?

I watched the whole video and listened to the lyrics, but what does this have to do with the song "Heavy Metal" and that line about the kid specifically?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I guess my biggest problem with their pop sound now is the rationalizations Oli keeps giving behind all this. I just do not believe him. He contorts himself into a pretzel discussing the experimentation, trying new things, etc etc. Yet in the past he's also talked about wanting to become the biggest band, more accessible, etc. So when you take the gradually watered down sound since Sempiternal, it's clear that they're simply selling out. They want to be as popular as possible, hence why they're now making straight up, on trend, pop music. And that's FINE. They're entitled to do whatever they want. And as I and others have said, I have liked the sound shift over the last two albums. I played the heck out of That's The Spirit.

But stop pretending this is some grand experiment. You're making radio pop. If you were "experimenting", things wouldn't sound like this. It would be more all over the place, more weird. You've slowly adapted the sound of the band to where the new album is now some timid rock songs reminiscent of your older sound, a straight up EDM-ish dance song with a trancey bassline to start, and a bunch of songs that fit various pop song structures, but are sliiiiightly darker lyrically to not completely alienate BMTH's "13-22 year old scene girl who really wants to bang Oli/man....Oli really gets ME" core fandom.

Don't piss on my leg & tell me it's raining. If you're gonna Maroon 5 your band, own it. Or you're gonna be called out by your core fans. I'm also really curious what happens long term in terms of touring & U.S. festival bookings. They're not going to be booked on anything exclusively heavy anymore, that's out. Will they still be booked on more varied festivals/tourshere in the US? Will they be an arena band everywhere & not just the UK, which is clearly what they want? Seems like that will be tricky b/c pop radio isn't gonna pick up any of this material. They still will be a rock radio band at best. What kind of bands will be willing to tour with them now that the album is out and they can hear what the majority of the sets are now gonna be? Will be interesting if the backlash is at all similar to what happened to Suicide Silence a few years ago. That was quick and brutal, and SS has suffered since. I don't think it will be like that, but it came to mind.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I don't get it... Can you explain?

I watched the whole video and listened to the lyrics, but what does this have to do with the song "Heavy Metal" and that line about the kid specifically?
    It was late when I posted, but the melody/rhythm of the chorus' are the same, just sped up in Heavy Metal. Just shows how much poppier the song is if it was intentional... To me at least.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I've listened to the album a bit over the weekend on my new albums playlist and what's surprising me is how forgettable most of it is. Sempiternal and Suicide Season, whilst both having a handful of songs i wasn't really into, i couldn't say any of it was really forgettable. For the most part this one sounds like stuff you'd hear in a Starbucks or Supermarket, just on in the background and completely forgotten with everything else that was played by the time you've walked out
    Couple of the songs i like and will probably buy but that's about the best i can say about it. It's a shame for me, as i really enjoyed most of That's the Spirit and Sempiternal more then the early stuff so had really high expectations for this...there just isn't much for my tastes here.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I couldn't listened to anything before Sempiternal, which I love. I thought That's The Spirit had some good stuff, it was in a good direction, but it felt like they went too far sometimes. amo is funny like new Link Park were. Not bad, but definitely not the sound I want.

Linkin Park's One More Light, 30 Seconds to Mars' America and now this? I get bands want to quotation mark open " E.V.O.L.V.E. " end quotation mark but having a popier sound is just trying new thing. Why can't bands go Kid A / full experimental or Mars Volta / progressive?

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    Why can't bands go Kid A / full experimental or Mars Volta / progressive?
    Personally, I'd rather bands evolve into something listenable. I for one hate it when they go full weird and just make random noises and creepy atmospheric music and stray away from a "traditional" sounding sound with a bridge/chorus etc. Maybe that's just me, but I don't like weird interludes and stuff like that on records. I hate it even more when bands go "full weirdo". I hate to say this, but a good example of this is most of Alessandro Cortini's music. I thought his SONOIO stuff was amazing, but then he started branching out to very weird and experimental stuff... Forse 1? Skorn? Either way, most of that stuff did absolutely nothing for me, it was damn near unlisteneable.
    That's just my tastes though. I can't speak for everyone, obviously. There are people that like that stuff, just not for me.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    After Maroon 5's bullshit yesterday, would it be so bad if BMTH's "Amo" did really well and they were asked to take part in the Super Bowl halftime show?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Saw BMTH the other night in Dallas. That was a great show. Nothing pre-Sempiternal though.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Saw BMTH the other night in Dallas. That was a great show. Nothing pre-Sempiternal though.
    Glad I skipped on the $65 (before taxes/fees) tickets for Denver then. I like the new stuff, I really do, but I still want a few pre-Sempiternal songs. I've seen them twice, the first time with The Ghost Inside and Architects opening and it was fucking brilliant, the second time on the Sempiternal tour and it was also fantastic, but I don't like the new stuff enough to a show only of it.

Sigh.

I guess this means I'm never going to see "Visions" or "Crucify Me" live.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    god I hate music so fucking much

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    That really sucks! Just going through Set List FM and they haven't really gone into pre-sempiternal stuff since 2016 and even then it was only a couple of songs! Other then the odd Melody track of a bunch of random old songs it's as if There is a Hell... Suicide Season and Count your Blessings NEVER happened! No more Chelsea Smile, It Was Written in Blood, Diamonds Aren't Forever, Suicide Season, Anthem, Alligator Blood, Crucify Me, Blessed with a Curse...I like most of Sempiternal and That's the Spirit, but i love those old songs

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    That really sucks! Just going through Set List FM and they haven't really gone into pre-sempiternal stuff since 2016 and even then it was only a couple of songs! Other then the odd Melody track of a bunch of random old songs it's as if There is a Hell... Suicide Season and Count your Blessings NEVER happened! No more Chelsea Smile, It Was Written in Blood, Diamonds Aren't Forever, Suicide Season, Anthem, Alligator Blood, Crucify Me, Blessed with a Curse...I like most of Sempiternal and That's the Spirit, but i love those old songs
    I really just question Oli's confidence in his vocal abilities. Sometimes he screamed the other night, but mostly did clean vocals. I didn't mind though because I don't like anything they did pre-sempiternal.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

not a mindblowing opinion I know, but man Oli wants to be a rockstar sooooo bad. The try hard levels are through the roof, part. with that wild and zany outfit & the edgy hair graffiti!

That being said, the live version of Medicine is not too shabby. Sounds more like the last record. They did Mother Tongue too, but that was pretty awful.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    It's like Katy Perry cosplay.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Speaking of Oli's voice... American tour dates cancelled due to a strain in his right vocal chord.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 02-15-2019 at 08:49 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Damn, he really fucked himself hard recording Count Your Blessings​.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post

not a mindblowing opinion I know, but man Oli wants to be a rockstar sooooo bad. The try hard levels are through the roof, part. with that wild and zany outfit & the edgy hair graffiti!

That being said, the live version of Medicine is not too shabby. Sounds more like the last record. They did Mother Tongue too, but that was pretty awful.
    He looks like your every day run of the mill 2019 soundcloud rapper.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Wonder why the dude from Fever 333 was filling in on bass. No explanation from the band.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I believe Matt Kean was ill, I don't know.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i managed a hot topic for four years and i never understood what made this band appealing.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post

Medicine was definitely a highlight at the Dallas show. It was a fun sing along.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)