Thread: Coachella 2019 or Most Festivals Suck Now

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Coachella 2019 or Most Festivals Suck Now

lol... seriously?

Complete Garbage.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    as usual these days, there's a good mix of electronic artists & dancey DJ's (Aphex Twin is the most interesting get on the whole bill), a tiny bit of good bands (Turnstile, Turnover, Hop Along, Razorbumps, Tame Impala) & a sliver of quality hip hop (Pusha, Khalid, Cudi, Danny Glover, Anderson Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaak). Worth going to one or two days if you live in the area and the weather is good one of the weekends.

It still being the preeminent nat'l festival (but with buzz extending internationally too) is so puzzling. I think alot of it has more to do with it being the first one of the year, Golden Voice's massive PR push, the location and the longevity. Music lovers should not be planning their lives around seeing Ariana Grande & Jaden Smith in the middle of the desert with a bunch of rapey shirtless frat bros & braindead freshman college girls in Native American head dresses.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Good to know that deep dish pizza will be served on the 13th and 20th.

That is one historically BAD lineup. Holy shit.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    It is very bad. I had a blast at the Coachella that I went to (2015), but the lineup was amazing.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Good to know that deep dish pizza will be served on the 13th and 20th.

That is one historically BAD lineup. Holy shit.
    I can confirm there will be no deep dish pizza at Coachella; it's all about the Spicy Pie lol

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

And to think this happened 10 years ago. Anyone can sense a drastic drop in quality. Music, in general, has become much shitty.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    ^I've been to nine Coachellas since 2004; 2008 was hands down my favorite year despite a bit of turmoil in my personal life at the time. It's incredibly sad to have watched the quality of this plummet. I want to go a 10th time and put a cap on it, but I just can't with the lineups the way they are. Having to dig for the worthwhile acts is becoming less and less fun or rewarding. I'm trying to at least have a tragic chuckle out of this, but it's hard heh.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Wooow, worst lineup. I enjoy Childish Gambino but it's crazy that he get's a headlining slot based on ONE song from an album that has no release date in site.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Wooow, worst lineup. I enjoy Childish Gambino but it's crazy that he get's a headlining slot based on ONE song from an album that has no release date in site.
    Yeah, JT and Kanye bailing really fucked them up. Looks like they just moved everyone up.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Portishead
    Aphex Twin
    Justice
    Kraftwerk
    The Breeders
    Modeselektor
    Fatboy Slim
    Modeselektor
    Animal Collective
    Pendulum
    Simian Mobile Disco
    Battles
    Autolux
    Aesop Rock
    Does It Offend You, Yeah?
    Spank Rock
    Boys Noize
    Junkie XL
    Busy P
    MGMT

Looks like a nice line up to me

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    That is a terrible lineup. Two Reggaeton artists (J Balvin and Bad Bunny) as headliners. I think this is a sign of the apocalypse.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Portishead
    Aphex Twin
    Justice
    Kraftwerk
    The Breeders
    Modeselektor
    Fatboy Slim
    Modeselektor
    Animal Collective
    Pendulum
    Simian Mobile Disco
    Battles
    Autolux
    Aesop Rock
    Does It Offend You, Yeah?
    Spank Rock
    Boys Noize
    Junkie XL
    Busy P
    MGMT

Looks like a nice line up to me
    You're not talking about 2019 right?

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Hahahahaha! Childish Gambino is headlining a night?! What the fuck?!?!

well... Aphex Twin is there and maybe that’s enough for me...

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I dont know whats worse, the hipster electronic shit hop Coachella lineup aimed at Hollywood posers or the geezers of metal lineup at Hellfest. Take a look at that lineup, it looks like a metal fest from 1978. Kiss? ZZ Top? Def Leppard? Whitesnake? Lynrd Skynrd? Is AARP sponsoring that festival? Then you throw on top of that colossal shit like Sum 41, Stone Temple Pilots, and Slash...What a shitshow

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    This article accidentally sums up what sucks about this spectacle masquerading as a “concert” pretty succinctly
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.too...ink-burna-boy/

I’m too old to sit through something that sounds this annoying. Have a blast toddlers. Your favorite “band” sucks but I’m sure their light show is expensive

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I dont know whats worse, the hipster electronic shit hop Coachella lineup aimed at Hollywood posers or the geezers of metal lineup at Hellfest. Take a look at that lineup, it looks like a metal fest from 1978. Kiss? ZZ Top? Def Leppard? Whitesnake? Lynrd Skynrd? Is AARP sponsoring that festival? Then you throw on top of that colossal shit like Sum 41, Stone Temple Pilots, and Slash...What a shitshow
    I 100% agree with this. Both festivals are really bad this year. At least there are plenty of other decent bands on the Hellfest bill on the undercard, if you put aside all the "dinosaur rock" it's still an OK bill (Not that I would travel for it, but if I lived in France I would go) But Coachella is a whole new level of terrible.

Coachella use to be the festival that everyone wanted to go to. The one all other festivals looked up to and wanted to be like. Coachella used to set the bar high.
    It used to kick off festival season announcements. Nowadays, all year round is "festival season announcement time" 2019 summer festival announcements already stated to come in as early as October of last year, in some cases... some festivals announce the next year and tease a few headliners the DAY AFTER the festival is over.

The Festival market has become so over-saturated over time. 10 years ago, there wasn't much competition. There were like 5 major festivals around North America, now there are hundred's. So many to the point where festivals keep folding and throwing in the towel. All festivals in the PNW (Seattle/Vancouver area) keep going under. We had the fall of Pemberton, Squamish, The Virgin Festival, Bumbershoot and most recently, Sasquatch called in quits as well for 2019.

There is just too much competition, and more competition is going to lead to weaker lineups. That's really all it comes down to.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Worst Coachella lineup ever. It also went the way of generic mainstream trash like the once great Lollapalooza.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Bring back Lollapalooza 95....Sonic Youth, Beck, Pavement and The Jesus Lizard...Indie wet dream

Coachella now caters to the Kardashians and their ilk. Mainstream pop culture trash

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Coachella is simply going where the money is.

//edit

THR is not amused: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...l-time-1172962
    Last edited by TheRealNs1; 01-03-2019 at 05:43 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I admitted to myself that at 35 im just a bitter old man who longs for the good old days.

If that makes you feel better.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    I admitted to myself that at 35 im just a bitter old man who longs for the good old days.

If that makes you feel better.
    Coachella '99 forever. LOOK AT THIS. JUST LOOK AT IT. Even Christopher Lawrence as a bottom line DJ at that time is incredible.

Last edited by TheRealNs1; 01-03-2019 at 06:48 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    its nothing like it was 15 years ago,
    this festival was the envy of the world in the mid 00's...they even almost managed to get the Cocteau Twins back together. Now its Ariana Grande and Tame Impala.

its not just Coachella though. all of the former best music festivals suck now, including Reading Festival, Coachellas biggest influence. Reading was like the worlds Coachella of the 1990s, line ups to die for, check out the 1992 line up amazing. Nirvana, Pavement, L7, Hole, Mudhoney, Teenage Fanclub Screaming Trees, Public Enemy etc.

I think its because there are too many festivals now?

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Roskilde 09 apparently had Faith No More, NIN and Nick Cave on the same stage back to back to back so occasionally a festival still gets it right....Seems like most festivals these days cater to mainstream pop culture trash or old washed up metalheads wanting to relive 1979...The poser fests bring in the most money. Cool lineups always go broke. 95 Lolla had Pavement, Beck, Jesus Lizard and Sonic Youth and lost money. Infamous stories about 95 Alt Nation in Australia that had Faith No More, NIN and fucking Tool which sounds like the greatest festival ever and they went under for bad attendance lol.....

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    I enjoy Childish Gambino but it's crazy that he get's a headlining slot based on ONE song from an album that has no release date in site.
    It's not just because of This Is America. He's a wildly popular artist who has his hands in a lot of different projects and a lot of eyes on him. In other words, he's hot stuff, so it makes sense for him to be a headliner.

As for the lineup...well, it is what it is. I don't know who most of these people are, but then again, if I look at the lineups from the so-called golden days of yore, I see a lot of names I still don't recognize. I'm not sure why anyone would cry foul at a festival that most of us probably weren't going to in the first place, or why who performs at Coachella determines the fate of "good music".

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    Coachella '99 forever. LOOK AT THIS. JUST LOOK AT IT. Even Christopher Lawrence as a bottom line DJ at that time is incredible.

i was there. It was rad. Fuck this lineup.

Luke Vibert and Autechre at the bottom of the bill... jesus
    Last edited by Jinsai; 01-03-2019 at 07:41 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

A reminder that this was 6 years ago and perhaps the last truly great Coachella lineup.

*Note: Lou Reed did not play*

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Roskilde 09 apparently had Faith No More, NIN and Nick Cave on the same stage back to back to back so occasionally a festival still gets it right....Seems like most festivals these days cater to mainstream pop culture trash or old washed up metalheads wanting to relive 1979...The poser fests bring in the most money. Cool lineups always go broke. 95 Lolla had Pavement, Beck, Jesus Lizard and Sonic Youth and lost money. Infamous stories about 95 Alt Nation in Australia that had Faith No More, NIN and fucking Tool which sounds like the greatest festival ever and they went under for bad attendance lol.....
    I went to Roskilde 09 and it was glorious! NIN played a great set, FNM killed it and Nick Cave gave even a better show than Glastonbury, even Oasis played in that one and i enjoyed it!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Last time Deep Dish played together, they looked like they knew had made a mistake playing together. Fuck it though, if I make there, Yuma Tent ALL DAY.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    ITT: People in their late 30s complaining that today's music festivals aren't as good as the ones from 15 years ago

P.S. Spend your money on a flight to see Aphex Twin in the UK rather than waste it on a ticket to catch a set here.

(I'm not disagreeing with the premise, btw. How is Janelle Monae not headlining?)

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    So apparently the Kanye rumors about him playing Coachella were true??? I figured that’s was BS since dude has been a train wreck for awhile now, and pretty sure most tickets/passes are sold prior to lineup announcements anyways- so why take that chance?

As for Levi’s comment above, there’s definitely some “old man yells at cloud” truth to that and I think some of us expressed it as much. But there’s no denying that these festivals are now over-saturated garbage. Ariana Grande is the biggest name here- imagine Brittany Spears playing Woodstock 1999 lol. I think that’s a pretty fair comparison even if WS wasn’t a yearly festival.

Shoukd be great making fun of the “Woodstock” 2019 lineup when it’s announced. I will be here! [secretly hopes it’s decent so Incan have some faith in music]