Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Spotting 2019

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I’m a dude but I wasn’t bothered by the article at all. I’m not trying to be contrarian but I don’t really get everyone being upset about it. I mean ultimately she’s a big fan. Just not in the same way as you. Shrug.
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I think the reaction is due to there having been some fans who are ummm a bit nuts and obsessive ruining things for everyone else by harassing Trent and Mariqueen in 2009 on twitter
    it has nothing to do with gender and all to do with how the article is written (which is poorly). there's nothing wrong with being into trent and finding him and his music sexy, but the way she describes the lines between genders and the way people of different genders enjoy music for different reasons is contrived and ill-informed.

and yeah, also what worzelg said. there have been some really awful NIN fans out there who are OBSESSED with trent and think that he belongs to them to the point where they flip out when he dates (or in Q's case, marries) someone.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    That's incredible.

But also kind of creepy

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Saw a dude at the grocery store last night with a faded salt trails t shirt on.

Remember when that was considered NIN spotting?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I’m a dude but I wasn’t bothered by the article at all. I’m not trying to be contrarian but I don’t really get everyone being upset about it. I mean ultimately she’s a big fan. Just not in the same way as you. Shrug.
    The problems with this article for me are this:
    1. She's concocted something in her brain that isn't totally accurate. She makes the claim that most of Trent's fans were girls in the 90's, when the opposite was true for a very long time. It's only been With Teeth and beyond that the ratio of men to women started evening out at shows. I don't know where she got this idea that NIN was predominately a female fanbase.
    2. She calls "We're in this Together" a love song, when Trent has repeatedly and publicly stated that it wasn't one.
    3. Goes on to talk about how smart she is for about a paragraph and it gives off a very ShE's nOt lIkE tHe OtHeR gIrLs vibe.
    4. She has some really lame ass views of gender expression.
    5. It's badly written and goes absolutely nowhere.
    6. It strikes me as a little unhinged and reads like a Tumblr fanfic.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    NINeedles takes third place in the first ever heavy metal knitting competition! (???)

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/fir...finland-video/

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)

Apparently, Down In It was the first song on PHM, which is why it was chosen to be the first single.

I laid the smack down in the comments; my wife called me a dork.

But yeah, this sucks, because I'd been enjoying this guy's videos, and now, I don't know if I can believe what he says.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Maybe he was thinking about Down In It being the first song that Trent Reznor wrote (according to Trent). Also, of the 3 singles, it was the only song that had a demo in the early stages of PHM, before HLAH, Sin, etc joined the line-up (and replaced Purest Feeling, and maybe just once).
    Other interesting trivia regarding Down In It, is that Trent had a final album version (possibly the version labeled "DEMO" on the HLAH CD Single). It was given to Adrian Sherwood and Keith LeBlanc to remix for the single. The single technically had 3 versions: Extended remix, radio edit of remix, and dub version, even though they were named differently. This single came out before PHM. In the end, what was to be the official album version was replaced with the "radio edit remix" of Down In It, and it's the version that we all know and love on PHM. And that is why the "Album" version and the single version are identical, even though the single version has an alternate name as if it was a remix. Originally, it WAS going to be a remixed version (the radio edit) before it was decided that the remix edit was prefered over what was originally slated to be on the LP.
    Interesting, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

Apparently, Down In It was the first song on PHM, which is why it was chosen to be the first single.

I laid the smack down in the comments; my wife called me a dork.

But yeah, this sucks, because I'd been enjoying this guy's videos, and now, I don't know if I can believe what he says.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    https://www.thefader.com/2019/07/01/...loak-interview

What did you learn about scoring from working with Atticus [Ross]?

I've been a fan of Nine Inch Nails for a long time, so meeting Atticus was a big deal for me. He told me he never really worked with anybody outside of his family, so it was a big honor to be asked to help. He's exceptionally talented and intelligent — he sticks to his guns, and he taught me that if you believe in something, you should stand your ground, be confident, and assert your voice. The Hollywood film industry can be quite daunting, but he dispelled a lot of that for me, which was great.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Right, @atomobile . I did mention that the down in it single was the first nin release in my comment.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atomobile View Post
    Other interesting trivia regarding Down In It, is that Trent had a final album version (possibly the version labeled "DEMO" on the HLAH CD Single). It was given to Adrian Sherwood and Keith LeBlanc to remix for the single. The single technically had 3 versions: Extended remix, radio edit of remix, and dub version, even though they were named differently. This single came out before PHM. In the end, what was to be the official album version was replaced with the "radio edit remix" of Down In It, and it's the version that we all know and love on PHM. And that is why the "Album" version and the single version are identical, even though the single version has an alternate name as if it was a remix. Originally, it WAS going to be a remixed version (the radio edit) before it was decided that the remix edit was prefered over what was originally slated to be on the LP.
    Interesting, huh?
    Do you have a source for that info? I'd love to put it on the NIN wiki.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This could have been an alternate tour poster for Cold, Black, and Infinite:

https://imgur.com/gallery/GrRc6ms

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzburbank View Post
    This could have been an alternate tour poster for Cold, Black, and Infinite:

https://imgur.com/gallery/GrRc6ms
    Link is broken, could you explain what it was or link to another image?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    Do you have a source for that info? I'd love to put it on the NIN wiki.
    I've never read any of this everywhere, and the fact that he's saying that the very clearly unfinished version labeled "demo" was supposed to be the album version leads me to believe that it's untrue, or at least mixing up several stories.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I'm sure I read somewhere else that the version of Down In It we got was a remix pretty much exactly as @atomobile says. This was years ago, so I don't have a source.

Possibly this is misinformation. I have no idea.
    Last edited by katara; 07-15-2019 at 06:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    It was Jesus Christ dressed as a ninja double side-kicking two foes. The title was: NINJESUS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    [IMG][/IMG]

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Another Travis Keller story: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz9cyjVBDtd/

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Stage diving during "Hurt" only to hurt yourself on the barrier like a goober. Lol.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    I've never read any of this everywhere, and the fact that he's saying that the very clearly unfinished version labeled "demo" was supposed to be the album version leads me to believe that it's untrue, or at least mixing up several stories.
    First, I never said that the DEMO was the version that was the originally intended album version. What I said was, and I quote myself, "possibly." Here is my reasoning for this belief: The earliest Down In It version we know of is from the "Purest Feeling" demos, where it appears with an extended outro. Then there were the 2 versions on a cassette that was mailed out to solicit in the early days (both versions appear on the "demos and remixes" boot). These appear to be a more polished DII, along with what appear to be a remix or alternate version. None of these early version have the final vocals as appear on the album. Besides those early versions, the only other version we all know about is this so-called DEMO. What's interesting is that his vocals are the final version exactly as it appears on PHM. Which leads me to theorize that this "Demo" is exactly what was remixed and became the 12" single released before PHM. In turn, the "single edit" of the remix, became the official album version, and this last part is 100% accurate.
    So to sum it up: There was a version of Down In It with identical vocals to the remixes that was meant to go on Pretty Hate Machine. This track was given to the remixers which came up with an extended remix, a shorted edit (sometimes called 7" edit), and a dub version. After these 3 remixes came back, it was decided that the remix edit would go on PHM instead of the intended version. So far all this is FACT.
    Now about the DEMO version on the Head Like A Hole CD single: This version has identical vocals to the final album version, and it could have been exactly as was given to the remixers. I'm asuming, because everything matches up, but I do not know that for sure. The fact that it was labeled a Demo does not mean much. First of all, Trent is not the most explanatory when labeling tracks on singles, but most importantly, I can see how he would consider this a demo to the version that ended up on the album. This "demo" was just kinda thrown out as a CD single exclusive, and not even included on the original Down In It 12" possibly because it was going to be on the album. But, yes, it's very possible that there is yet Another version that was meant for the album, but we know that the vocals would have been identical to the "demo."
    Hope that helps explain. I've been a Trent Reznor music collector since the early 90s. I believe I may have one of the largest NIN music collection of domestic releases in the U.S. My intent is not to start any rumors, but to uncover rare information on the history of NIN music. There is still much info I would love to discover: Any info on the Trent-mentioned 12" that was supposed to have Physical and Suck before it ended up as Broken extras, tracks such as A Violent Fluid and March of the F***heads, where they TDS outtakes? Remixes of TDS tracks? Same thing with the Aphex Twin tracks on Further Down the Spiral, even though I suspect not a note of NIN was used to make those tracks. I remember Richard (Aphex Twin) mentioned that he had never heard NIN music when making these, and so on........

PS: I would love to write a book on the history of NIN music specifically. An official one, with Trent's contribution would be even better!
    Last edited by atomobile; 07-16-2019 at 05:56 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    To supplement the above, here's an excerpt from an article from March 1990, with words from TR:

Also, the original mix of "Down In It" did not appear on his album as he had planned. Instead, the mix produced by Adrian Sherwood was substituted.

"I've always wanted to work with him in some context. He's expensive, so I just wanted to do a 12' with him - let him take one of my songs, fuck with it, and do whatever he wants to do. I called him up and he listened to it, and he was into doing it. That's when we were doing the deal with TVT. He did that first. I recorded it all in Cleveland myself, then Keith LeBlanc did some pre-production in New York. And then Adrian mixed it in London without me. So I never met him face to face. We just talked on the phone. Then he just sent it back and I heard it. I had no idea what to expect. It was radically different from my version. I didn't want to put that on the album, but the forces that be...The original version may show up somewhere."

"I think he's great at what he does. I think he tends to smother who he's working with. But I can't complain. My only complaint is that my version could have shown up somewhere. It's much more rap-hip-hoppy. It's real tiny. More emotional, not as linear. They could have complimented each other very well."

FWIW, I'm also of the view that the 'demo' version may well be Reznor's original version.
    Last edited by Tom; 07-16-2019 at 06:06 PM.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    much more rap-hip-hoppy. It's real tiny.
    A tiny little dot?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The "Big Whole" Mix on Demos & Remixes is certainly tinny. Today it would be called the ASMR mix:
    Last edited by botley; 07-16-2019 at 07:20 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atomobile View Post
    First, I never said that the DEMO was the version that was the originally intended album version. What I said was, and I quote myself, "possibly." Here is my reasoning for this belief: The earliest Down In It version we know of is from the "Purest Feeling" demos, where it appears with an extended outro. Then there were the 2 versions on a cassette that was mailed out to solicit in the early days (both versions appear on the "demos and remixes" boot). These appear to be a more polished DII, along with what appear to be a remix or alternate version. None of these early version have the final vocals as appear on the album. Besides those early versions, the only other version we all know about is this so-called DEMO. What's interesting is that his vocals are the final version exactly as it appears on PHM. Which leads me to theorize that this "Demo" is exactly what was remixed and became the 12" single released before PHM. In turn, the "single edit" of the remix, became the official album version, and this last part is 100% accurate.
    So to sum it up: There was a version of Down In It with identical vocals to the remixes that was meant to go on Pretty Hate Machine. This track was given to the remixers which came up with an extended remix, a shorted edit (sometimes called 7" edit), and a dub version. After these 3 remixes came back, it was decided that the remix edit would go on PHM instead of the intended version. So far all this is FACT.
    Now about the DEMO version on the Head Like A Hole CD single: This version has identical vocals to the final album version, and it could have been exactly as was given to the remixers. I'm asuming, because everything matches up, but I do not know that for sure. The fact that it was labeled a Demo does not mean much. First of all, Trent is not the most explanatory when labeling tracks on singles, but most importantly, I can see how he would consider this a demo to the version that ended up on the album. This "demo" was just kinda thrown out as a CD single exclusive, and not even included on the original Down In It 12" possibly because it was going to be on the album. But, yes, it's very possible that there is yet Another version that was meant for the album, but we know that the vocals would have been identical to the "demo."
    Hope that helps explain. I've been a Trent Reznor music collector since the early 90s. I believe I may have one of the largest NIN music collection of domestic releases in the U.S. My intent is not to start any rumors, but to uncover rare information on the history of NIN music. There is still much info I would love to discover: Any info on the Trent-mentioned 12" that was supposed to have Physical and Suck before it ended up as Broken extras, tracks such as A Violent Fluid and March of the F***heads, where they TDS outtakes? Remixes of TDS tracks? Same thing with the Aphex Twin tracks on Further Down the Spiral, even though I suspect not a note of NIN was used to make those tracks. I remember Richard (Aphex Twin) mentioned that he had never heard NIN music when making these, and so on........

PS: I would love to write a book on the history of NIN music specifically. An official one, with Trent's contribution would be even better!
    To supplement the above, here's an excerpt from an article from March 1990, with words from TR:

Also, the original mix of "Down In It" did not appear on his album as he had planned. Instead, the mix produced by Adrian Sherwood was substituted.

"I've always wanted to work with him in some context. He's expensive, so I just wanted to do a 12' with him - let him take one of my songs, fuck with it, and do whatever he wants to do. I called him up and he listened to it, and he was into doing it. That's when we were doing the deal with TVT. He did that first. I recorded it all in Cleveland myself, then Keith LeBlanc did some pre-production in New York. And then Adrian mixed it in London without me. So I never met him face to face. We just talked on the phone. Then he just sent it back and I heard it. I had no idea what to expect. It was radically different from my version. I didn't want to put that on the album, but the forces that be...The original version may show up somewhere."

"I think he's great at what he does. I think he tends to smother who he's working with. But I can't complain. My only complaint is that my version could have shown up somewhere. It's much more rap-hip-hoppy. It's real tiny. More emotional, not as linear. They could have complimented each other very well."

FWIW, I'm also of the view that the 'demo' version may well be Reznor's original version.
    This is all super interesting and I think @atomobile 's theory makes sense. By the way, after listing to both the album and "Demo" versions on YouTube and then tumbling further down the rabbit hole and consulting nin.wiki for any additional info, I discovered the existence of this limited edition (5,000 copies) Down In It 12" (that included a sweet NIN logo stencil), which I had until now completely been unaware of. Anyway, both versions of the song are present on this version of the Down In It single, so it appears that Trent did ultimately get his way. Then again by including them on the Head Like a Hole maxi-single, seemingly to make sure everyone heard his originally intended version.

By the way, does anyone have one of those limited edition Down In It 12" singles with the stencil? I want one now...
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 07-16-2019 at 11:44 PM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I'm not so sure the "demo" version is the version TR wanted on the album, because of the line from that March 1990 interview where he says, "My only complaint is that my version could have shown up somewhere." As far as I can tell, the "demo" version was first released in the UK in January 1990 so unless the interview had been conducted before that time or TR didn't know exactly what TVT was releasing when, that version was already out there when he said that?

EDIT: Yeah, see above for more about what I mean.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Thanks for finding this. That's the exact article I was thinking of.

I discovered the existence of this limited edition (5,000 copies) Down In It 12" (that included a sweet NIN logo stencil), which I had until now completely been unaware of. Anyway, both versions of the song are present on this version of the Down In It single, so it appears that Trent did ultimately get his way. Then again by including them on the Head Like a Hole maxi-single, seemingly to make sure everyone heard his originally intended version.

By the way, does anyone have one of those limited edition Down In It 12" singles with the stencil? I want one now...
    I have this but it's not for sale. Bought it about 15 years ago as I thought it'd be cool to own the first NIN release on vinyl. Didn't realise until later it was so limited or that it included a stencil. Number 1083. The inside of the stencil is mostly intact (only two cardboard parts were pressed out). The above seller must have spray-painted the sleeve themselves, because mine doesn't have it.

Edit: Interestingly, there's no Halo number anywhere on this release.
    Last edited by katara; 07-17-2019 at 01:55 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    I'm not so sure the "demo" version is the version TR wanted on the album, because of the line from that March 1990 interview where he says, "My only complaint is that my version could have shown up somewhere." As far as I can tell, the "demo" version was first released in the UK in January 1990 so unless the interview had been conducted before that time or TR didn't know exactly what TVT was releasing when, that version was already out there when he said that?

EDIT: Yeah, see above for more about what I mean.
    The version on the Demos & Remixes bootleg is probably what was suppose to be on PHM. I only say this because it has the same vocal take as the album version, has a similar vibe to the Purest Feeling version and is structured alot like how it's played live.

Last edited by nooneimportant; 07-17-2019 at 03:25 AM.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    The version on the Demos & Remixes bootleg is probably what was suppose to be on PHM. I only say this because it has the same vocal take as the album version, has a similar vibe to the Purest Feeling version and is structured alot like how it's played live.

I’d love an official Trent reply to solve this semi-mystery. So many versions, damn.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    The "Big Whole" Mix on Demos & Remixes is certainly tinny. Today it would be called the ASMR mix:
    Yes, but the "Big Whole Mix" has "whispered" vocals that do not match the final album version. The "originally intended" album version must have the exact vocals as the remix as it's what was given to remixers.