Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Halo 15 - We're In This Together - Canonical Order Wrong

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Halo 15 - We're In This Together - Canonical Order Wrong

Most discographies (including NinWiki, for now) list We're in This Together part two as part one and vice versa.

I'm here to try and disprove that.

For the purposes of this post (and future ninwiki/nincatalog corrections):

Disc 1 = 497 140-2 (MVCT-12019 Japan) TDTWWA remixes / Green Cover / Orange Disc
    Disc 2 = 497 141-2 (MVCT-12020 Japan) Fragile Vinyl bonus tracks / Blue Cover / Green Disc
    Disc 3 = 497 183-2 (MVCT-12021 Japan) Complications of the Flesh / The Perfect Drug / Black & White Cover / Yellow Disc

Notice how the catalog numbers are all ascending? we'll get to that in a bit.

Firstly, the promo poster from the era:

notice the placement of the images and the order they're in.

The recently-restored-from-archive (thanks @Leviathant) halo profiles lists what I believe to be the correct track listing: https://www.theninhotline.com/featur...iles/witt.html again, notice the "Neapolitan ice cream style" promo images along the side.

A post from October 18th 1999 announces the track list with the green cover/tdtwwa remixes as disc one: https://web.archive.org/web/20010208...oct99arch.html

The Japanese OBI strips actually list "Part 1 of 3" correctly for what's commonly called Part 2 and nincatalog @spahn confusingly confirms this: http://nincatalog.com/were-in-this-together/

Japan pt 1: https://www.discogs.com/Nine-Inch-Na...elease/3653768 (note OBI strip in images and for each of the below)
    Japan pt 2: https://www.discogs.com/Nine-Inch-Na...elease/3653768
    Japan pt 3: https://www.discogs.com/Nine-Inch-Na...elease/1801338

What went wrong?

I have two theories.

The first, more far fetched one is referring to disc 1 as the "green" one because the cover is green. Disc 2's CD is Green. Disc 2 is commonly called Disc 1. I know this is confusing.

The second and likeliest one is a typo on nothingrecords.com back in 2001: https://web.archive.org/web/20010129...io.html#halo15

Let's take a look at the catalog numbers for two previous 2-part singles.

Closer pt 1: 854 059-2
    Closer pt 2: 854 061-2

March of the Pigs pt 1: 854 001-2
    March of the Pigs pt 2: 854 003-2

Ascending, in both cases. Radiohead is another example of a band with multi-part singles and their catalog numbers ascend in parts 1 and 2.

Finally, I will leave you with a line from the We're in This Together entry on ninwiki:

The order above was adopted and widely accepted as the norm, although sometimes debated among the fanbase; it's stated that CD2 should be called CD1 and vice versa. That point of view is based on record label catalog numbers and numbers found on obi-strips attached to Japanese editions. Adverts and newsletters sent to retail stores also lend support to the alternate order. Actual Compact discs and inserts bear no <part N of M> designation whatsoever
    The OBI strips from the Japanese version *do* point out parts x of y and the artwork of the era backs up the original listed track listing with the TDTWWA remixes as the proper, rightful Disc 1.

I rest my case.
    Last edited by tricil; 12-28-2019 at 09:09 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i've always filed mine this way because it made more sense to me

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I have also always considered this to be the correct order and I agree that it makes more sense. The promo images and catalog numbers were all the proof I ever needed.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Don't forget to update Wikipedia too:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We%27re_in_This_Together

Here's some contemporaneous pre-release info that corroborates the correction:

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/al...hnY/discussion
    https://groups.google.com/d/topic/al...4fg/discussion

And, some possible explanation for the mix-up, which might've happened at US retailers during the importing stage:

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/al...GQQ/discussion

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    This is minor nuisance. Now, what about catalog number on Pretty Hate Machine being lower than Down In It?!

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    I’ve always wondered what the covers of parts 2 and 3 are close ups of. Any ideas? Especially the brown one.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I’ve always wondered what the covers of parts 2 and 3 are close ups of. Any ideas? Especially the brown one.
    I believe the brown one's a crop of this image featured in Fotografiks. The black/white one is harder to find a wider crop of - page 24 of the deviations PDF is about as good as you're going to get, I think.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I believe the brown one's a crop of this image featured in Fotografiks. The black/white one is harder to find a wider crop of - page 24 of the deviations PDF is about as good as you're going to get, I think.
    I've never heard of that book. How much of his work for NIN is in it?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I really love how my scans from Fotografiks book live on through my defunct Flickr page. I'm actually surprised it's still up there after all these years.

Matt, would you have any interest in hosting them on the Hotline when you get the archives back up? I should still have my original scan files somewhere.

More on topic, in the back of the Fragility Tour Program, there is a discography section, and it just shows Part 2 as the cover (blue cover/green disc), as does the NIN.com Discography section. There, it just refers to the by disc color, but the green disc is listed first. For my part, I've always used the order on the promo poster.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    This is minor nuisance. Now, what about catalog number on Pretty Hate Machine being lower than Down In It?!
    This can sort of be explained that record labels often plan their stuff out ahead of time and they knew they were gonna do an album and a single for their new singing, The Nine Inch Nails. Despite the catalog number one higher, Down In It *did* come out a month ahead of PHM.
    You see this a lot in record labels. Nothing Records' issue of Plaid's Not for Threes is INTD-90277 and came out October 1998. Meat Beat Manifesto's Actual Sounds & Voices (INTD-90279) came out earlier that year despite having the higher catalog number.

In WITT's cases, they were released simultaneously.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Although it references ninwiki for additional info, from nin.com official discography page:
    WE’RE IN THIS TOGETHER [1999]
    GREEN +

1. WE’RE IN THIS TOGETHER
    2. 10 MILES HIGH
    3. THE NEW FLESH

ORANGE +

1. WE’RE IN THIS TOGETHER – RADIO EDIT
    2. THE DAY THE WORLD WENT AWAY – QUIET
    3. THE DAY THE WORLD WENT AWAY – PORTER RICKS MIX

YELLOW +

2. COMPLICATIONS OF THE FLESH
    3. THE PERFECT DRUG

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    Although it references ninwiki for additional info, from nin.com official discography page:
    WE’RE IN THIS TOGETHER [1999]
    GREEN +

2. 10 MILES HIGH
    3. THE NEW FLESH

ORANGE +

1. WE’RE IN THIS TOGETHER – RADIO EDIT
    2. THE DAY THE WORLD WENT AWAY – QUIET
    3. THE DAY THE WORLD WENT AWAY – PORTER RICKS MIX

YELLOW +

2. COMPLICATIONS OF THE FLESH
    3. THE PERFECT DRUG

Yep. NIN.com has been referring to the incorrect order since the Bleedthrough era in 2004, longer if you count the nothingrecords.com link in my OP. This is essentially the source of all this confusion.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    This can sort of be explained that record labels often plan their stuff out ahead of time and they knew they were gonna do an album and a single for their new singing, The Nine Inch Nails. Despite the catalog number one higher, Down In It *did* come out a month ahead of PHM.
    You see this a lot in record labels. Nothing Records' issue of Plaid's Not for Threes is INTD-90277 and came out October 1998. Meat Beat Manifesto's Actual Sounds & Voices (INTD-90279) came out earlier that year despite having the higher catalog number.

In WITT's cases, they were released simultaneously.
    Also note NIN own maxi singles March of the pigs (95938) and Closer to god (95905), then remix collection Further down the spiral (95811) and, finally, The perfect drug versions (95007). All in descending order but then it was normal, yet with WITT it's suddenly confusing... Isn't that hilarious?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I think both of the relevant cover art crops are available in the book Trek (2003). The Amazon description mentions that Trek contains "work created" for Nine Inch Nails, which sounds to me like submitted/finalized artwork (whether it was eventually used or not).

There's also this small jpg collage from Carson's page:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Most discographies (including NinWiki, for now) list We're in This Together part two as part one and vice versa.

I'm here to try and disprove that.

For the purposes of this post (and future ninwiki/nincatalog corrections):

Disc 1 = 497 140-2 (MVCT-12019 Japan) TDTWWA remixes / Green Cover / Orange Disc
    Disc 2 = 497 141-2 (MVCT-12020 Japan) Fragile Vinyl bonus tracks / Blue Cover / Green Disc
    Disc 3 = 497 183-2 (MVCT-12021 Japan) Complications of the Flesh / The Perfect Drug / Black & White Cover / Yellow Disc
    I totally agree with you!

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    That’s pretty cool. By brown one I meant the black and white one, lol. I should have said dark chocolate brown.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    There's also this small jpg collage from Carson's page:

BTW All of these are seen in The Fragile teaser vid

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Also note NIN own maxi singles March of the pigs (95938) and Closer to god (95905), then remix collection Further down the spiral (95811) and, finally, The perfect drug versions (95007). All in descending order but then it was normal, yet with WITT it's suddenly confusing... Isn't that hilarious?
    Note: the five digit catalog numbers starting in 9 are domestic releases on Interscope. Take a look at any of your Manson or Nothing stuff.

WITT was not one of these.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    If nothing else, the Japanese obi strips should be all the proof anyone needs. The ambiguity of the packaging (sans cat #s) isn't too surprising though; this is the same era that brought about 3 different but yet exactly similarly titled Starfuckers remixes.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Note: the five digit catalog numbers starting in 9 are domestic releases on Interscope. Take a look at any of your Manson or Nothing stuff.

WITT was not one of these.
    ...So? You're right, Orange is Part One, Green is Part Two, it's a little tidbit, almost an easter egg, Wiki has a note about it, which you quoted (written by yours truly, heh), i just can't see what else can/should be done.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    If nothing else, the Japanese obi strips should be all the proof anyone needs. The ambiguity of the packaging (sans cat #s) isn't too surprising though; this is the same era that brought about 3 different but yet exactly similarly titled Starfuckers remixes.
    Plus the WITT promo single being labeled as a halo, and the halo-less Into The Void single. I guess this did still happen before this era though, with the Hurt and Piggy promos receiving erroneous halo numbers as well.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Plus the WITT promo single being labeled as a halo, and the halo-less Into The Void single. I guess this did still happen before this era though, with the Hurt and Piggy promos receiving erroneous halo numbers as well.
    And the Into the Void false Halo 16 promo!