Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Spotting 2019

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I saw "Hurt" on a Mumford & Sons setlist. So, so wrong....

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Trent's name comes up in this interview with EL-P when they're talking about film scores (at the 22:30 minute mark):

Also, there's a new interview with A Place To Bury Strangers where they talk about touring with NIN: https://www.psychedelicbabymag.com/2...interview.html

You guys have played with some big names and major influences on the genre including Nine Inch Nails and the Jesus and Mary Chain. Any specific shows or tours that stand out as pivotal in your career?

Oliver: Those shows were pretty insanely awesome. I remember we got the Jesus and Mary Chain tour and the first time we played with them, you know, just having been a big fan when I was a kid of the Jesus and Mary Chain that was just insane. It was like “what in the world?” They asked us to play this show in New York and so that was really nuts. Or even like the Brian Jonestown Massacre on some of those early ones, it’s like you just never get the chance to play in front of that many people or get to do that sort of thing. And so, being a kid who’s a fan of these bands driving around, I grew up in Virginia, in your car smoking weed, blasting the Jesus and Mary Chain before you go to high school or something then to get a chance to play with the band is frickin’ nuts. So, that was really wow, then with Nine Inch Nails too was all these different arenas, and it would be like you walk out on stage and the crowd just goes wild. They all start screaming and stuff and I’d be like “what in the world is happening here?” And just to get to hang out with the guys from Nine Inch Nails. They’ve all been really cool and stuff is just sort of completely surreal like the kind of experiences that you would never imagine and then still of all of these kinds of tours that we’ve done, Nine Inch Nails and Jesus and Mary Chain, there’s people who always say, “Oh man, I heard about you from that mixtape that Trent Reznor did” or “I heard about you! Trent Reznor told me to check out your band or show!” So, yeah it’s pretty cool.

I was wondering about Trent Reznor. I could picture him being really nice or really not nice.

Oliver: Super nice! I mean, maybe he was only nice to us because he was a fan or something like that. I don’t know. But sometimes you don’t know. We’ve definitely played with some bands where the people are total douche bags and not very cool at all.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    how does this happen? Does Trent Reznor have any day about who gets to license his music for commercial use or are previous record contracts allowing record companies to take amazing art and commodify it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    They just played hand that feeds going into commercial break on nfl on fox
    Hi. The Hand That Feeds was playing in the Cleveland Browns stadium, it just got picked up/ heard in the broadcast as they went to commercial. Cleveland Indians play NIN during games in their stadium too... Then the stadium cheers the NIN playing then the lights start flashing then the fireworks go off then the F-16's fly over...oh wait

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Jessica Jones, Season 3, Episode 10. Apparently Ms. Jones is partial to a bit of NIN/JA action.

Unfortunately, I don't think NIN ever played Webster Hall on the 10th of July, so this was probably faked for the show. Still, nice touch.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't think NIN ever played Webster Hall on the 10th of July, so this was probably faked for the show. Still, nice touch.
    The closest they came was July 31st... (source)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    The closest they came was July 31st... (source)
    And my wallet will tell you it sure as shit wasn't $15 to get in the door.

Full nerd: July 10th has fallen on a Saturday 3 times from 1989 foward: 2010, 1999, 1993. And it will again in 2021.
    Last edited by cdm; 11-18-2019 at 03:47 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I know Rick and Morty used the Hurt track a while back but this last episode had him sitting on a special chair (toilet) wearing a crown saying shit on it. Rick was going through the whole episode in denial about friendship etc (Liars chair). The whole Rick side of the episode rang true with a lot of hurts lyrics. Probably just a coincidence but i thought it was fun.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaps View Post
    I know Rick and Morty used the Hurt track a while back but this last episode had him sitting on a special chair (toilet) wearing a crown saying shit on it. Rick was going through the whole episode in denial about friendship etc (Liars chair). The whole Rick side of the episode rang true with a lot of hurts lyrics. Probably just a coincidence but i thought it was fun.
    oh no way it was a coincidence imo. Because of exactly what u wrote, i think it was def. on purpose. Pretty cool. Why Rick is as fucked up as he is is a running part of the narrative.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

All photos are Robs:

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Moar scoars!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheddamash View Post

save to assume the book is just segmented parts of the poster?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laststepdown View Post
    save to assume the book is just segmented parts of the poster?
    It seems to be the poster chopped up with the text layer moved around. In the original poster, You Know What You Are? is positioned in a dark section in the top right. Here, it's more central, just above the middle.

The poster also doesn't have a credits section.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheddamash View Post
    Moar scoars!
    wait, you follow me on IG? do i follow you??? it's hilarious to see my name there haha

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    wait, you follow me on IG? do i follow you??? it's hilarious to see my name there haha
    Ha! Yes! I’m @HamwiseVT or @IHaveThisNet for my NIN stuff.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    i can't link it here because it isn't online anymore and probably would be region restricted, but on a television station i recently saw a documentary about North Korea which used Nine Inch Nails tracks as background music during the entire documentary. I must say that it was an otherworldly experience.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    An interview with Mike Garson conducted by a Steve Buscemi doppelganger.

It's just been re-uploaded for some reason, but apparently it's from 2016 originally and was filmed in that house that's been since destroyed in a fire(?)

Re: NIN Spotting - not much, actually, just a couple of Trent and NIN namedropings and the covers of The Fragile and Gone Girl hanging on the wall.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Did Trent Reznor make a cameo playing the saxophone in the background of Watchmen Episode 6? It’s his song that is being played, and while other people are playing the music on screen there were moments where the camera circled around and the saxophone player was in frame but out of focus and it really looked like it could be him. Probably not, but wondering if anyone else thought the same?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Did Trent Reznor make a cameo playing the saxophone in the background of Watchmen Episode 6? It’s his song that is being played, and while other people are playing the music on screen there were moments where the camera circled around and the saxophone player was in frame but out of focus and it really looked like it could be him. Probably not, but wondering if anyone else thought the same?
    During the back and forth scene between Will and June? Pretty sure the guy is black, but it's hard to tell. I'd say it's unlikely and would be a waste of a cameo, but I wouldn't put it past them!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    During the back and forth scene between Will and June? Pretty sure the guy is black, but it's hard to tell. I'd say it's unlikely and would be a waste of a cameo, but I wouldn't put it past them!
    Yes, that scene! I could tell about the race of the person in the background, and I am like 60% sure that the performer is black like the rest of the band that was depicted, but I wasn't sure and the fact that it was Trent's song made me wonder. I guess that would be a little out of place though, having a white guy in a black band in that era they are depicting... so probably not...?

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    I tweeted about this plaid shirt design based on pretty hate machine from the NIN Hotline account earlier, and the more I read about the folks behind it, the more interesting I thought it was (one of the guys behind the brand designed the wardrobe for the Fragility tour), so (this part is a pre-spotting) now I'm arranging to do a story about it on the Hotline, and we're going to collaborate on a giveaway.

One great big festering neon distraction....
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm predicting/hoping that if they ever end up showing some of the Pale Horse concert from MSG on the night the squid dropped (either in a flashback or possibly from the in-universe Spielberg movie about the incident) that Trent/Atticus/NIN/HTDA will play the band.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rob Sheridan talks about imposter syndrome and how he came to work with NIN.

https://www.facebook.com/robsheridan...56486572257120

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    ^^^ I saw that on Reddit and decided against shitting all over it there. Apologies if Mr Learson Peak is a member of ETS, but... this sounds like what people who don't actually listen to NIN think NIN sounds like. It's a perfect illustration of how NIN is more than a bunch of expensive keyboards and effects.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    This is exactly how Strobe Light sounded like in my head.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    ^^^ I saw that on Reddit and decided against shitting all over it there. Apologies if Mr Learson Peak is a member of ETS, but... this sounds like what people who don't actually listen to NIN think NIN sounds like. It's a perfect illustration of how NIN is more than a bunch of expensive keyboards and effects.
    the intro music sounds like a pseudo-industrial cover of the bridge of Ghostbusters

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    An interesting recording was just posted on YT

Sick Mother Fuckers
    December 10, 1994
    Rock Ridge Saloon
    New York, NY

Jeordie White - bass (aka Twiggy, Marilyn Manson)
    Robin Finck - guitar (Nine Inch Nails)
    Mike Allen - drums (The Goodies)
    Dee Snyder - vocals (Twisted Sister)

I've read of this one-off band, but didn't know a recording existed.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I was watching a Californication era Chili Peppers documentary on Youtube. There are various NIN Fragile era morsels scattered throughout as the bands' tours cross over at various festivals. The ones I noticed were... John Frusciante talking about doing stretches and relaxing before play but having NIN go on before them does not allow him to relax or think about stretching. Danny records shopping with John. Robin hanging out in the tent while Flea is telling a story.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Junkie XL talks briefly about Trent Reznor in this top ten best scores list. Go to 17:50.