Anime

sharingan‪!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Evangelion.

/thread

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Been on an anime kick lately.. Just watched Arriety, which was lovely. Film4 are doing a season of Ghibli films, so also caught Porco Rosso, Pom Poko, and intend on watching Ponyo tomorrow. Also picked up the two Eden of the East movies and finally remembered the name of one I saw yeeears ago on Sci -Fi (with much googling) called Wings of the Honnemaise which was lovely, so thats on my to watch list.
    Yay!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Just watched Howls Moving Castle! Howl <3

Also been rather obsessed with Death Note lately. Can't wait to see what Shane Black does with the American film.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I've took a break from watching anime, but what I like:
    Anything Satoshi Kon has done
    Everything I've seen from Hayao Miyazaki
    Hideaki Anno's series Neon Genesis Evangelion and Gunbuster
    Death Note
    Diebuster
    Texhnolyze
    Boogiepop Phantom
    Serial Lain Experiment
    Monster
    Cowboy Bebop
    FLCL
    Ghost Hound(Well, I liked elements of it.)
    Grave Of The Fireflies

There are some more, but they seem to have slipped my mind...
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 12-24-2011 at 07:22 AM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    There's four weeks of Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli at the IFC in NYC: http://www.ifccenter.com/series/cast...studio-ghibli/
    I am going to see three films on Wednesday.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    A few favorites:
    Neon Genesis Evangelion (psyched for the Rebuild series so far)
    Ghost In The Shell
    Anything and everything from Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli
    Anything Leiji Matsumoto
    Cutey Honey
    Devil Hunter Yohko
    All-Purpose Natural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku
    FLCL
    Cowboy Bebop

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    Been on an anime kick lately.. Just watched Arriety, which was lovely. Film4 are doing a season of Ghibli films, so also caught Porco Rosso, Pom Poko, and intend on watching Ponyo tomorrow. Also picked up the two Eden of the East movies and finally remembered the name of one I saw yeeears ago on Sci -Fi (with much googling) called Wings of the Honnemaise which was lovely, so thats on my to watch list.
    Yay!
    Ponyo is such a cute movie. I love Studio Ghibli's stuff. I have the biggest grin on my face every time I watch My Neighbor Totoro.

I don't watch as much anime like I used to but I've started re-watching Sailor Moon. Fruits Basket is a good one, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    For me, anime does not get any better than the series BERSERK. I've watched the series at least five times and I've started reading through the manga to see how the series would have played out if it continued. There are also three animated movies due out next year which goes over the same material covered in the anime and hopefully more. Any other fans of BERSERK?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    BUMP! I almost started a new thread, but thankfully, the search function works on the new ETS. :P Anyway, Funimation has a big sale going on on iTunes right now, and they have a few freebies (in full-blown HD!) as well.

http://www.funimation.com/rojas/blog...ic-con/4092551 (Just click the link to iTunes in the blog post)

There are a lot of discounts, but I've never been too keen on paying money for a digital version of something if I can avoid it. The freebies seem to be geared toward new anime fans, being first episodes of a few shows. The list of freebies includes Trigun, FLCL, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Ouran High School Host Club, Black Butler, and Fairy Tail. I haven't seen any of those last three, and only parts of Brotherhood, so I'll be jumping on this for sure.

As far as new anime goes, I just finished Eden of the East, plus the first movie, and started Gurren Lagaan about a week ago.

Edit - Also, I guess that sale ends tonight, so get on it!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Fuck it, I'll double post. The nostalgia's oozing out of my ears.

"Now he'll have to deal with bounty hunters, ancient demons, mad scientists, and...SHARED BATHROOM TIME."
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 07-24-2012 at 05:31 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    My top recommendations...

Kino's Jouney - Philosophical drama/action
    Mushishi - Beautiful drama
    Azumanga Diaoh - Awesome comedy
    Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad - Coming of age/Music
    Haibane Renmei - Another beautiful drama
    Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei - Crazy comedy, sometimes dark, always hilarious
    Now and Then, Here and There - Classic drama/action
    Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu - A really cute but utterly surreal comedy

Death Note, of course. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is worth checking out, I prefer watching it in chronological order. Cowboy Bebop, Chobits, FLCL, Hellsing, Fruits Basket, Elfel Lied, Ghost in the Shell, Darker than Black, Welcome to the NHK, Dennou Coil, Serial Experiments Lain and the anime that got me into all anime, Neon Genesis Evangelion. Who doesn't love it?

As for movies there's the obvious Ghibli collection (including 'From Kokuriko Hill', the latest release, which I think is their best since 'Spiritied Away' which is at least 10 years old now). Satoshi Kon's stuff is all good too. 'Paprika' (like Inception but better), 'Tokyo Godfathers', 'Perfect Blue' and 'Millennium Actress'. Makoto Shinkai's ''The Place Promised in our Early Days' and '5 Centimetres Per Second' are both good, as are Momoru Hosoda's 'The Girl Who Leapt Through Time' and 'Summer Wars'.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Perfect Blue is amazing, one of my all-time favourite films of any genre/medium. RIP Kon

Also seconding The Place Promised... and 5cm Per Second. Voices from A Distant Star is similarly touching/visually stunning and especially impressive due to it being essentially a solo effort by Shinkai IIRC.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I feel so out of the loop. Perfect Blue is on my watch list, I just haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I haven't even finished Akira! I feel ashamed to admit it. But soon...

I'm really digging this thread right now, because I'm essentially a Cartoon Natwork anime fan. :P Not in the sense that I like the newer ones geared toward children and void of value, but I grew up on Toonami and Adult Swim, and for the longest time, didn't explore much outside of that. It doesn't help that anyone else that I know outside of maybe five people are interested in anime, heh. I even had one friend say, and I quote, "I don't like anime because when I think of anime, I think of really stupid fat people wearing animal hats. So it just seems really stupid to me." So....yeah. I'm gonna introduce her to Bebop, which has always been my go-to anime (along with Trigun) for new fans. If she can't get into either of those, all is lost.

I did have another friend turn me on to Eden of the East and Gun X Sword, though, and I'm really digging those so far. Finished Eden, along with the first movie. I'll definitely be using this thread for reference once I get Gurren Lagann and Gun X Sword out of the way. :P

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    I did have another friend turn me on to Eden of the East
    I bought my brother Eden of the East for his bday a while back. It looked good. You reminded me I need to borrow it off him sometime

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I tried watching some Naruto nearly 10 years ago, and I couldn't get into it after trying 30-40 episodes. Since then I never really gave anime a real chance until February/March this year when I watched Elfen Lied, and LOVED it. Guess I just needed to find the right series/genre/tone or something, so for anime there's a whole sea of undiscovered stuff for me. Since then I've acquired some more stuff (e.g. Ghost in the Shell, Blood, Akira) but haven't watched anything yet because I'm battling a bad vertigo/dizziness relapse.

Edit: well, in elementary school I'd watch the North American versions of Pokemon and Sailor Moon on TV... but maybe I wouldn't really count that since I was young, didn't watch them regularly, and they were not the original versions.
    Last edited by blassster; 07-29-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post
    I tried watching some Naruto nearly 10 years ago, and I couldn't get into it after trying 30-40 episodes. Since then I never really gave anime a real chance
    Yeah, you need to find the right thing for you. Anime isn't a genre, its a really specific term. I never got into comic book cartoon (batman, spidey, etc) when i was young and i certainly never got into any naruto/one piece/dragon ball shit. All that stuff is just hours and hours of garbage. There's so many good titles out there that have more to offer than some poorly drawn action sequences and corny dialogue. That shit might fly when your 10, but once you 16+ you need something more.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I have a question for you anime fans. Is The Big O not considered that popular/good of an anime series? I haven't watched much anime, really just Cowboy Bebop a ton of times, The Big O a few times and some episodes of Trigun, but anytime I look in an anime thread on the net no one ever mentions The Big O and I freaking love that series.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    I used to watch it on Adult Swim, along with Inuyasha.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I loooved Big O! I never got a chance to watch it in full sequence, though. Always missed an episode or caught reruns. I think I've seen a majority of the show. I just need to sit an watch it all in order. :P

Blah. I really liked Inuyasha for a while, but now I cringe any time it's on. That one just seemed to age like milk, to me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I never saw Big O, I don't think it's style quite grabbed me. I did see a lot of it in AMV's back in the day when youtube didn't exist, animemusicvideos.org was the place to be and AMV's weren't filled with a buncha crappy effects or lip REsyncing.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I was always into the lame anime, but i guess probably it was just the most accessible stuff for me.

Visions of Escaflowne
    Gundam Wing
    Dragon Ball
    Dragon Ball Z
    Last Exile

I like a lot of the non-serial anime like just one off movies and what not... My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Steamboy, Appleseed and Appleseed Ex Machina, Vexille

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Ok so I'm not crazy thinking Big O is freaking awesome. Speaking of which, I think I'm gonna watch that and Cowboy Bebop again.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    I was always into the lame anime, but i guess probably it was just the most accessible stuff for me.

Visions of Escaflowne
    Gundam Wing
    Dragon Ball
    Dragon Ball Z
    Last Exile
    I'm kinda in the same boat. When I talk to anime of my anime friends, they kinda roll their eyes because the majority of what I'm familiar with is whatever was on cartoon network. :P I'm definitely glad I branched out, though. I still hold Bebop and Trigun as two of my favorites - probably because they're so similar in so many ways, too. Gundam Wing was a favorite growing up, and I LOVED Endless Waltz, but it's been so long since I've seen either one that I can hardly remember many details.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I don't know if anyone else is watching, but I got a little impatient and skipped ahead to watch the season finale of Deadman Wonderland before it airs next weekend. I've gotta say, I REALLY hope we get a season 2. I might start reading the manga once I get a few other books on my list out of the way, but that ending leaves too much left to question for there NOT to be a season 2. I was trying to figure out how they would wrap everything up in 24 minutes, but they really only answered a few questions and smoothly segued everything else into one big "to be continued." They even presented a bunch of NEW things that we might not hear more about if season 2 doesn't happen.

Well, I guess a lot of those would probably be answered if I read the manga, but that's beside the point. :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    FINALLY!

The new Evangelion rebuild movie will be released in Japan on 17th November 2012!
    I wish I was over there, guess I'll just have to wait for the DVD release.

I'm such a fan, that part of me wishes How To Destroy Angels tied into the whole Evangelion universe somehow.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Do you guys watch it subbed or dubbed? I always watch the original but I'd like to know what your take is on dubbed anime, because I feel like I miss a lot of the imagery by reading the subs. Thanks!
    Last edited by profane; 10-15-2012 at 07:23 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I'm kinda indifferent. A lot of people are super super picky about watching subs AND ONLY subs. Typically though, I do watch subs if I can, but I'm totally fine with dubs. The only times I really WANT to watch dubs is when it's an older show, from my childhood, and I'm mentally tailored to hearing the characters with dubbed voices. Like, I can't get used to watching Bebop or Trigun with subs because I've always heard them dubbed.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Here's my anime question: why has Akira not been topped? No anime full-length I have seen since Akira (which came out in 198fucking8) has come close. Nausicaa, Howl's Moving Castle, Paprika: great stuff, but not close to the epic scale and visual impact of Akira. I'd love some recommendations of films you think went beyond Akira...
    As for TV anime: I grew up on that stuff (Fist of the North Star, Lupin, DragonBall and dozens of others), but have no time for it now. The newer productions look so cheaply put together...and the Clamp style, or imitations of it, seems to have become ubiquitous.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 10-15-2012 at 08:09 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm thinking about getting a Crunchyroll year subscription. Should I?