Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Hmmm found Rurouni Kenshin on Netflix so I've been watching that. I always remembered catching bits and pieces way back when but never watched. Why didn't I?!

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Lately i've been re-watching "Saint Seiya" (A.K.A. The Knights of the Zodiac) and reading the original manga too! (and it has far more blood and gore than the cartoon!)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Calling fans of old Toonami! I found a rad website that has music mega mixes of the themes, promos and music found on the Toonami blocks! It also has full video downloads of commercial promos and other things relating to just about every anime show they have aired and every bumper they have ever shown. DEFINITELY check it out.

Website - http://www.toonamiarsenal.com

Music - http://www.toonamiarsenal.com/music/
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 03-05-2016 at 01:24 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Meep.

Safe to say I'm the only one bumping this since I'm nerding out currently. Aside from a few posts above I've bought and been watching some stuff due to new blu-ray purchases of mine: Tenchi Muyo!, Full metal Alchemist, Death Note and Trigun (+ Badlands Rumble). I wish that Trigun had a blu-ray release. I only have the film on blu-ray. Tenchi Muyo! looks amazing on blu-ray. I'm debating on if I should buy the film collection for it or not.... Death Note looks great, sooooooooo much better on blu-ray than my DVD version.

Anyone been buying or watching any lately?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I need to catch up with about 14 recent and/or currently airing shows. Just finished Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun, which was cute, but I always like anime that are about manga, so I'm biased; it might not be interesting if you don't want to watch 12 episodes of people talking about drawing manga. I hear ERASED is really good, so that's next on my list.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Erased is very, very good. Aside from that, not much else is really grabbing my attention. Dimension W is kinda cool too.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Erased is very, very good. Aside from that, not much else is really grabbing my attention. Dimension W is kinda cool too.
    I've caught Dimension W on Toonami/Adult Swim after trying the atrocious DBZ Kai on Saturdays. It's alright. I dropped my attention span on it during the 2nd episode so I'm somewhat confused and out of the loop ha.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Grimgar is interesting as well. Not much I'd really recommend from the winter season. Erased is a must though. Also been watching Stride (it is what it is). Also Dagashi Kashi (why not?).

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Just caught the finale to Erased. Best anime series I've seen in awhile. Easily the best of the season. Loved it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    2 new seasons of FLCL coming in 2017 and 18. If ya'll haven't seen the first season yet, get on that shit. Its great. Its only 6 episodes, too.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...easons/.100222

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Not much has been piquing my interest in anime-land recently, but...

Durarara finished up a great (yet inconsistent) run recently. I'd recommend watching the entire series if you're looking for a sci-fi action series that actually has the balls to rely on character interaction more than fight scenes to further it's story.

GATE also had a well-executed run. It basically set-up a scenario of a modern army fighting against a LoTR/GoT-like fantasy world. It sounds stupid on paper, but they did an excellent job of mixing political, ethical, and sociological plot points into the fold.

I'll give Erased a try based on the earlier recommendations. Also, Studio Trigger (Kill la Kill) has a new show, Kiznaiver, set to premiere in a few days. I'm hopeful it turns out good!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Looking forward to the new sequel/spinoff to the Death Note movies. Apparently there's going to be a miniseries on Hulu Japan to bridge the 10 year gap between movies.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    The fact that Death Note keeps generating live action shit is crazy. It's been so long since it ended.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I finally finished death note a few weeks ago. Meh... It is pretty amazing to see it still do its thing after all this time. I'm curious to see what they do. I wasn't a big fan on how they ended the series though.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I'm currently watching "One Punch Man" and i'm enjoying it a lot!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I'm currently watching "One Punch Man" and i'm enjoying it a lot!
    It's pretty awesome! It's getting a dub/US release. Hopefully sooner than later. Totally a day one buy for me. Can't wait for season two.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    It's pretty awesome! It's getting a dub/US release. Hopefully sooner than later. Totally a day one buy for me. Can't wait for season two.
    I'm getting the Mangas also, i'm currently on Volume 3, that thing is hysterical!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I'm getting the Mangas also, i'm currently on Volume 3, that thing is hysterical!
    Not the biggest manga fan. But, I might need to check that out.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Not the biggest manga fan. But, I might need to check that out.
    Me neither, but it's best to get the whole story, the anime is very short and Manga is currently in volume 10, so i guess it's a way to find out what will happen.
    I also collect comic books so it's natural, i just don't like mangas because they are so hard to store with my other comics...

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Okay, so who else is watching "Yuri!!! on Ice"?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I wasn't entirely sure whether a new thread was necessary - but what are everyone's thoughts on the new Ghost in the Shell adaptation? I'm seeing it tonight, and the majority of reviews/painfully low rotten tomatoes score (44%, as opposed to 'The Boss baby's 48%) are already starting to worry me. I do hear that it's visually incredible, though, so I AM for sure looking forward to that, but I was curious about the opinion of those of us that have seen it, especially in comparison with other GOTS material.

I'd hate to think that this could be the nail in the coffin for any other Western anime adaptations being worked on or considered (Akira, Cowboy Bebop, and countless others).

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    I wasn't entirely sure whether a new thread was necessary - but what are everyone's thoughts on the new Ghost in the Shell adaptation? I'm seeing it tonight, and the majority of reviews/painfully low rotten tomatoes score (44%, as opposed to 'The Boss baby's 48%) are already starting to worry me. I do hear that it's visually incredible, though, so I AM for sure looking forward to that, but I was curious about the opinion of those of us that have seen it, especially in comparison with other GOTS material.

I'd hate to think that this could be the nail in the coffin for any other Western anime adaptations being worked on or considered (Akira, Cowboy Bebop, and countless others).
    We enjoyed it a lot actually. Yes, there were a few plot points, etc. that were kind of eye-rollers but no worse than you'd see in any other movie. Visually, it was un-fucking-believable. We saw it in IMAX 3D but as long as you see it in 3D on a big screen, you're in for a treat.

If you've ever seen the source material, also be warned that it sorta dips from a number of sources...the original series, then you'll see something from the film, then from the second film, and so on. It's sort of an amalgamation. As for the shit reviews, meh it's 2017. These days a movie, more so than ever, can be dead on arrival. For whatever reason, a movie can be magnificent, but if some random Twitter thread starts, then it's done. Must be frightening as shit to be releasing a movie...praying it doesn't happen.

As for the obvious controversy surrounding the 'whitewashing' of ScarJo's casting. MEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Shit, even the creator didn't mind.

I hope you enjoy it!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    It's been a bit since I've found anything worth posting, but Goodwill comes through on this one! I found this for $6.99. For those not familiar, this is a separate dub that they ended up "abandoning". The episodes are censored, but less so than the Funimation/Pioneer releases (most of the "bodily fluids" humor was left in).

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    So I actually saw Ghost in the Shell tonight after weeks of putting it off for one reason or another.

Yep. Nope. That 46% is a perfectly accurate score for that trash fire. Visually, it was incredible. But purely cosmetically. I HATE to say this, I'm so disappointed. I wanted to walk out after 15 minutes.

I'm not about to type out all my gripes with this movie via my phone, but damn. Unfortunately, was not entertained. :/ Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to bury my hopes of a good Cowboy Bebop movie out in a field somewhere.

Edit: WAS TRICKY EVEN IN THIS MOVIE??? NO.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 04-18-2017 at 12:42 AM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure that I'm the only one who actually loved the new Ghost in the Shell.
    Yeah, the story was dumbed down a liiittle bit for western audience and maybe a a little too much, so it became practically a cyberpunk version of The Bourne Identity. However, if you ever saw the SAC series, you should remember that Major did have a sort of identity crisis during the Kuze arc, trying to remember her childhood and whether it was real or not. Same thing with corporations using human subjects as an expendable research and experimentation material. It's all there, everything from this film is directly or indirectly taken from the GITS animated universe(s).

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I'm pretty sure that I'm the only one who actually loved the new Ghost in the Shell.
    Yeah, the story was dumbed down a liiittle bit for western audience and maybe a a little too much, so it became practically a cyberpunk version of The Bourne Identity. However, if you ever saw the SAC series, you should remember that Major did have a sort of identity crisis during the Kuze arc, trying to remember her childhood and whether it was real or not. Same thing with corporations using human subjects as an expendable research and experimentation material. It's all there, everything from this film is directly or indirectly taken from the GITS animated universe(s).
    I did watch SAC (mostly all of it, still finishing) and the original film (only the first one, though). And I get that changes and American idiosyncrasies are inevitable. But that doesn't explain other things like Major's apparent stompy-stomp robo-walk she carries herself with through the entire movie. Or the writing. There ARE a lot of things there that should be, agreed, but oof. It felt like there was just so much more potential for this film to generate buzz. To be something people actually want to see and talk about. But it was kinda flat. No twist or surprises. Nothing that tickled that sense of "HOLY SHIT CYBERPUNK" outside of the environment, and even then, world-building felt surprisingly minimal considering how much work they put into building such an incredible-looking setting - and it IS incredible.

In fairness, I can't say I ABSOLTELY HATED it, but in all honesty, I doubt I'll be watching it again, and it really bothers me to say that, because I was waiting in this thing for SO long. However, maybe my expectations were just too high. In a world where Bladerunner is a thing that exists, there's no reason we can't have an equally compelling GITS film for a modern audience. Action and sci-fi can absolutely be handled in a way that makes it popular and digestible by your average viewer without being watered down, but this wasn't the way to do it.

We can handle using our think brains good, Hollywood. Don't need to be pandered to nearly this hard.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Was able to get out to the theatre tonight to catch GitS on the big screen before it presumably is wiped out of theatres completely this weekend by GotG. I liked the movie just fine. It wasn't the best action movie I've ever seen & the story was familiar (b/c so many people ripped GitS off after it first came out), but it was very entertaining. So much to look at the entire movie, the first action sequence was badass, loved the casting for Kuze (I'm a Boardwalk Empire fan) & Scarjo was good in her subtle role and she continues to subvert or try to re-purpose her sexiness in multiple movies recently.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I had my doubts about Ghost in the Shell from the get go (i personally dislike Rupert sanders, think he is an egotistical and over rated prick, but that's just me) and while the film is nice to look at, i found it really dull. Most of the best scenes are shot for shot remakes of the various anime's that came before, made to hit a basic Hollywood vengeance plot. But, again, i'm slightly biased in my opinion (the original movie is one of my top films ever) so take this as you will.

It does make me wonder though, what if that Evangelion film Weta Workshop had worked on in the early 2000's had actually been made...

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Watched Fairy Tail Dragon Cry at the cinema last night...

Haven't read the manga in a few years but managed to understand what was happening, but it did remind me why i stopped reading it lol

Animation was sometimes great, the rest of the time below average. Forgot how much Fairy Tail loves boobs Only worth watching if you're a die hard fan.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    So I'm re-watching "Cowboy Bebop" (episode Sympathy For The Devil) and I notice a voice talent named Chick P. Garbanzo. They apparently they also did some work in "Trigun". So, that seems like a alias to me... I wonder who it actually is.