Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Anime

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Yeah season 3 really was a "HOLY FUCK" season, those Revelations at the end. Also Spoiler: i feel so bad for Mikesea, she just found out that her 2 closest friends she's had since as far as she can remember, who are basically her only family, are going to die after 13 years (8 now in Erens case) and despite being an absolute badass and one of the strongest fighters there is nothing she can do to stop it...that must really fucking hurt

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    So...i hadn't been able to finish Kill la Kill as when it was on Netflix in the UK it was taken off when i was halfway through and it's not come back, nor is it on ANY UK streaming service. Since i'd renewed Netflix for Evangelion i thought i'd use a VPN to watch it as it;s still on the US site, but Netflix doesn't allow VPN's. While the VPN was still on i went onto my chruncyroll on the off chance and...there it was, on the US version of CR in both subbed and dubbed so i can FINALLY finish it...and then i saw just how many OTHER dubbed anime there was on the US site we don't have and now my que's stupidly long and there's goes all my free time...

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    So the summer seasons are coming to a close so here's a round up of the best ones (that i have access to through Crunchyroll and Funimation)

Demon Slayer (CR and Funi)
    This might just be the next big thing anime wise, the next On Punch Man, the next Attack on Titan, it's fucking AMAZING! The characters are bloody great, the story is very good (Set in an alternative past where demons roam the country and demon hunting samurai called Demon Slayer Corps hunt them down) and bloody hell animation, it's just beautiful to look at. This shouldn't be missed, the season is coming to a close but there are more planned!

Dr Stone (CR and Funi)
    A slow burn "action" anime where science takes the centre stage. The world ends with all humanity being petrified before one by one they reawaken 3,000 years later, we follow senku as he uses science to bring the world back...it's very very good, but very slow. This'll be another long running show for sure, but worth it for the unique take on the action genre.

Fire Force (CR and Funi)
    Probably the most "anime" of all the anime, from the creator of Soul Eater (it really shows) the world has a problem where people will randomly burst into flames and become flame demons, and it's down to the fire forces to take them down. Honestly it's pretty good, it can be funny and dark at the same time, while having some great fight scenes and animation...but also some very underwhelming animation. Worth checking out.

How Heavy are the Dumbells you Lift? (Funi only)
    An ecchi show about cute girls going to the gym...honestly this show is SO much better then it has any right to be! It also manages to explain working out, and gives you tips on how to work out at home, whilst being a silly anime show full of jokes. Defiantly a fun watch.

Magical Sempai (CR)
    A 12 min per episode about a hopeless wannabe magication ecchi show and it's probably the funnist thing i've seen this year. Quick and to the point whilst getting in joke after joke and plenty of fan service.

There were a number of shows that started good then just took an absolute nose dive, like Do You Love Your Mom and Her 2 Hit Multi Target Attacks...so much promise but them it just fell apart with it's constant creepy Mother Son relationship and just leaving the background characters in the background.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Exclamation Anime Winter Season

The Fall season has finished and the Winter started, so here are my picks for best shows last season that you can binge now, the best of the continuing shows and the new shows this season that are great...

Best of the fall season and continuing shows... (Funi is the Funimation streaming service and CR is the CrunchyRoll Streaming service)

Bokuben, We Never Learn (completed show, on Funi and CR)
    If slice of life romantic comedy's with some fan service is your bag then this is the show for you. A great cast of characters (seriously they're all just the best!) some great character design and consistent animation made this one of the best chill out shows for me last year. It's fully completed with 26 episodes.

Dr Stone (Completed show, Dubbed on Funi, Subbed on CR)
    I mentioned this before, and it's first season is now completed, but it is coming back with a second season later this year(?) so it's worth jumping on now. A very different take on the action genre with the action replaced with science...and it works. It's a slow burn but well worth the trip. The first season is completed with 26 episodes

Fate/Grand Order Absolute Demonic Front: Babylonia (Ongoing show, Dubbed on Funi, Subbed on CR)
    If, like me, you know nothing of the fate series on a whole this is a fine place to jump into. There is a film that does need to be watched before, but it is also on both streaming platforms and easy to find. It's your standard action "we have to save the world with famous historical figures now in the body of waifu's" fair, but it has some of the most fantasic animation and action set pieces...it also has TONS of fan service (which shouldn't be a surprise as it was originally a hentai game!) It's ongoing with subs on CR and a Dub on Funi, but that is slightly behind.

My Hero Academia Season 4 (Ongoing show, Dubbed on Funi, Subbed on CR)
    If your not yet on the MHA train then you should definitely consider getting on board, because this is one of the most consistently hype shows of recent years, and has the animation and writing to back it up! Basic story, hero's exsist in the with superpowers called "quirks" in a 80-20% ratio with people who are Quirkless and we follow Quirkless Deku as he makes his way to being the worlds number 1 hero. The latest season so DAMN good, with the latest arc just about wrapping up and moving onto the next arc. I can't recommend this show enough! It's ongoing with subs on CR and a Dub on Funi, but that is slightly behind.

Current pick of the new Winter shows...

In/spectre (Subbed on CR)
    Iwanaga Kotoko became the god of wisdom to the supernatural beings and spends her days solving problems for them. However, the boy who she fell head over heels for, Sakuragawa Kuro, is someone that is feared by all supernatural creatures. The two of them face various mysterious incidents involving the supernatural in this love x romance x mystery series. Where will these fantastical incidents lead them and what will happen with Kotoko’s crush?
    This show was a surprise to me, i wasn't expecting to like it...but BOY did i. The story is engaging and the animation is top noche. I'll be sticking with this one!

Asteroid in Love (Subbed on CR)
    During her childhood, a girl named Mira befriends a boy named Ao and makes a promise with him to discover an asteroid. Upon entering high school, Mira joins the earth sciences club, a merger of the school's astronomy and geology clubs, and reunites with Ao, who she discovers is actually a girl. Alongside their fellow club members, Mira and Ao take part in various astronomical and geological activities in the hopes of one day discovering an asteroid.
    Other then the obvious yuri bait (which might actually turn into a genuine love story) this is such a charming and wonderful show. I already love all the characters and it's a nice show to chill out too. Already a fav of mine!

Somali and the Forest Spirit (Subbed on CR)
    The world is ruled by a diversity of inhuman beings, who persecuted humans and drove them to near-extinction. One day, the forest guardian Golem meets a human girl. This is a chronicle of a journey that would bind a member of the dying "human" clan to the forest guardian Golem, as father and daughter.
    Another slice of life feeling show but with a fantasy element, although i already feel like this ones going to have some serious emtional punches in it. Another great chill out show that will probably end up punching you in the gut by the end!

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! (Subbed on CR)
    First year high schooler Midori Asakusa loves anime so much, she insists that "concept is everything" in animation. Though she draws a variety of ideas in her sketchbook, she hasn't taken the first step to creating anime, insisting that she can't do it alone. The producer-type Sayaka Kanamori is the first to notice Asakusa's genius. Then, when it becomes clear that their classmate, charismatic fashion model Tsubame Mizusaki, really wants to be an animator, they create an animation club to realize the "ultimate world" that exists in their minds.
    HOLY HELL I CAN'T RAVE ABOUT THIS ONE ENOUGH! This might just end up on my top shows of the year list, it's so BLOODY GOOOOOOOD! Basically a show about imagination and creating animation and it's so bloody spot on, just watch it, trust me!

BOFURI: I Don’t Want to Get Hurt, so I’ll Max Out My Defense. (Subbed and Dubbed on Funi)
    She may be new to gaming, but Maple has found the secret to invincibility! Just put all your skill points into defense until you can't even move. That works, right? She doesn't want to experience any pain in the VRMMO game she started playing, and somehow it works better than anyone expected. Now she's got followers??
    This is another chill show i'm really into this season, though there are hints it'll get more story and less chill later, i'm just loving Maple and her enthusiasm to just become the worlds best tank!

ID: INVADED (Subbed and Dubbed on Funi)
    Welcome to Kura, an organization that investigates crime using the Mizuhanome system which senses the drive to kill. Sakaido is a brilliant detective and pilot of the Mizuhanome. To solve a case, he enters the world of the killer's unconscious mind: the id well. In the shadows of brutal and puzzling cases lurks John Walker, the Serial Killer Creator. Where will Sakaido's pursuit lead?
    This is a really story driven show, with a really interesting premise...find a killer by entering the killers intention to kill. It doesn't have the same polish animation wise as some of the other shows, but the story and premise more then make up for that!

There were a number of shows i started that just weren't hitting my buttons frankly, and a number of fan service shows that were really lacking in animation. There's also a new Magic Madoka side story show this season...for all those out there who want their souls crushed lol.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I'll probably do a yearly update of all the best shows as doing them every season is a bit messy, but i will say this...RE:Zero season 2 is OUT FUCKING STANDING! And brutal.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I didn't think Re:zero could get any better/more fucked up...i was wrong! For a show that's almost halfway through it's second season and the main selling point is MC dies and respawns i'm amazed that the deaths are still shocking and getting really emionally draining!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Anime on 4K BR has been... completely underwhelming (thus far).

Please DNR every release so that it contains white snow. I'm not kidding when I say Ghost in the Shell on VHS looks more filmic than the US 4K... on a 4K mini OLED. Completely shameful.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Just jumped back into Gundam Wing and it is even better than I rememeber it when it was on toonami. The Japanese dialogue just ads a different dynamic for me in almost every anime that I watch. I feel I'll never finish one piece lol.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Anime on 4K BR has been... completely underwhelming (thus far).

Please DNR every release so that it contains white snow. I'm not kidding when I say Ghost in the Shell on VHS looks more filmic than the US 4K... on a 4K mini OLED. Completely shameful.

Unfortunately this is the case for a lot of older anime. They just never thought back then it would be viewed in such high detail. Some newer stuff does look great, Like Fate and Demon Slayer, but still a load are animated on a budget.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Unfortunately this is the case for a lot of older anime. They just never thought back then it would be viewed in such high detail. Some newer stuff does look great, Like Fate and Demon Slayer, but still a load are animated on a budget.
    I struggle to keep up with the manga so you are not alone. The animation on the latest series though is unreal!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Akira 4K Limited Edition: HDR Disc Replacement How-To

Just as a quick warning to anyone wanting/getting the Akira 4K: the US and UK discs were authored without HDR. Replacements are expected to be ready by February 2021. I paid the $100 for the JP import for multiple reasons, but the US version is on its way as well.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Well this winter season is...fucking incredible!

RE:Zero Season 2 part 2
    Attack on Titan The Final Season (which is fucking amazing so far!)
    Jujutsu Kaisen (in the second half of the season, and it's one of the best new shows around)
    The Promised Neverland Season 2
    Dr Stone Season 2
    That Time i Got Reincarnated As A Slime Season 2

And that's not to mention all the NEW SHOWS STARTING!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Holy crap there are some AMAZING new shows this season! I usually do my anime viewing in one go on a Sunday to catch the weeks shows and it's taking me over 6 hours on non stop watching to see all these shows...

As far as Recommendations go, WATCH WONDER EGG PRIORITY (on Funimation) it's so damn pretty, well animated, wonderous and heartbreaking (suicide warning if you watch it, it's a major part of it's story)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    So the final movie of Evangelion has been postponed once again FFS. I guess they're desperate for theatratical release too?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    So the final movie of Evangelion has been postponed once again FFS. I guess they're desperate for theatratical release too?
    Considering how much band Demon Slayer made a few months ago in Japan alone that defiantly want this is theaters!

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Not surprised, still disappointed...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    A summary from NGE subreddit:

At this time there is no information about release outside of Japan, let alone in English, however there are a few things we can expect.

• The Japanese home video release will follow several months later, at which point fansubs should begin to circulate.
    • English licensing will follow several months after that. Funimation licensing the film and using the existing voice cast is most likely, however there are no details at this time.
    • An English theatrical release will likely follow several months after that.
    • And finally, an English home video release will likely follow several months after that.
    2023 here we come!

I remember this like yesterday: I watched the 1st movie only, and when the second one was about to drop, I decided to wait until all 4 are out. This was 12 years ago. Back then they were planning to be done with this by 2013.

I'm gonna go rewatch the original stuff now.
    Last edited by fillow; 01-25-2021 at 01:53 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    A summary from NGE subreddit:

2023 here we come!

I remember this like yesterday: I watched the 1st movie only, and when the second one was about to drop, I decided to wait until all 4 are out. This was 12 years ago. Back then they were planning to be done with this by 2013.

I was sure we got 2.0 and 3.0 within a year of the Japanese release...well a cinema screening at least! (i was lucky enough to see all 3 on the big screen with subtitles)

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Just a quick note on the whole current "keep normies out off anime" that's stupidly trending on socials. ..YOUR ALL WELCOME HERE! Doesn't matter if you've only seen a couple episodes of Pokemon and Sailor Moon or have an indepth knowledge of the Fate story line, i'd love to talk to you about it

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Just a quick note on the whole current "keep normies out off anime" that's stupidly trending on socials. ..YOUR ALL WELCOME HERE! Doesn't matter if you've only seen a couple episodes of Pokemon and Sailor Moon or have an indepth knowledge of the Fate story line, i'd love to talk to you about it
    You saw that as well, huh? I also saw you're not a real fan if you watch any anime on a paid subscription service like Netflix or crunchy roll... It is getting so scary out there lol.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    You saw that as well, huh? I also saw you're not a real fan if you watch any anime on a paid subscription service like Netflix or crunchy roll... It is getting so scary out there lol.
    It's one of many reasons i don't really go on anime forums, even the ones for CR. A loud minority of fans are very VERY hostel, and the same people who are super for pirating anime as it's "fan subs" (it's not, it's mostly just taking the CR subs) and it super sucks. There's so much great anime out there in all kinds of genres and themes (from Mental Health/Suicide to gender identity) especially now. I just do not understand why anyone wouldn't want more protentional friends to talk about it with! I spent decades, before i even had the internet, watching whatever i could on my own, i want to talk to others about it...not put them off!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    If you didn't suffer through renting VHS tapes of Project A-KO then... uh... good for you, what are you watching?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    There are so many great shows out right now, many with dubs a few weeks behind the subtitled versions, but my current watch list includes ...

RE:Zero season 2 (if you haven't watched season one then get on that, it's bloody good!)
    Jujutsu Kaisen (nearing the end of ifs first season, has some of the best looking animated fights scenes this side of FATE)
    Attack on Titan the final Season (it's trending every Sunday for a reason!)
    Hoyimaya (its a slice of life romantic comedy...i'm not a fan of slice of life romantic comedies, which should tell you how good this must be!)
    WONDER EGG PRIORITY (wonderful bold colors and animation with strong themes of suicide/sexual assault and mental health. Probably my fav show of the season and year so far!)

I also hear Demon Slayer is on Netflix now (it's really good) and the Great Pretender is meant to be fantasic...but i don't have netflix so can't watch it

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Attack On Titan just ended...well that's what i WOULD be saying if they hadn't done the old "you thought this was the end? Nope this is the end of Part of of the Final Season"

Part 2 (another 16 episodes for the actual final manga chapters) are coming, but there's some confusion as to if it's Winter 2022 or the anime Winter Season 2022 (which would be this coming winter) Either way MORE ATTACK ON TITAN!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Just jumped back into Gundam Wing and it is even better than I rememeber it when it was on toonami. The Japanese dialogue just ads a different dynamic for me in almost every anime that I watch. I feel I'll never finish one piece lol.
    I had the slip box left from my Gundam Wing collection, so I've been purchasing the DVD Operations from a local place for $7 a piece; they are still in-print and $59.99 a piece at places like FYE (really, Sunrise?). Definitely one of the best Gundam series.

Also, One Piece was my quarantine watch, so I'm all caught up there (episode 975), as well as all of the US Voyage releases to date (they've started releasing them on Blu-ray with Dressrosa). It's looking like it's going to be towards the end of 2022 when that finishes releasing, hopefully they continue with the dubs and Voyage releases.

@Haysey_Draws how was season 1 of Bofuri? I've been wanting to get the LE Funi release... Are you watching Slime Taoshite 300-nen Shiranai Uchi ni Level Max ni Nattemashita?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I had the slip box left from my Gundam Wing collection, so I've been purchasing the DVD Operations from a local place for $7 a piece; they are still in-print and $59.99 a piece at places like FYE (really, Sunrise?). Definitely one of the best Gundam series.

Also, One Piece was my quarantine watch, so I'm all caught up there (episode 975), as well as all of the US Voyage releases to date (they've started releasing them on Blu-ray with Dressrosa). It's looking like it's going to be towards the end of 2022 when that finishes releasing, hopefully they continue with the dubs and Voyage releases.

@Haysey_Draws how was season 1 of Bofuri? I've been wanting to get the LE Funi release... Are you watching Slime Taoshite 300-nen Shiranai Uchi ni Level Max ni Nattemashita?
    Sorry it's been a busy week. Bofuri was a fun little show, but i wouldn't say there was anything that really stood out in the end. But if your in for a nice chill fun time i'd give the dub a go. I'm waiting on the Dub for Slime, there are just so many damn shows this season are are really worth your time (86, To Your Eternity, Toyko Revengers) To say this season is stacked is an understatement, there are at least 5 shows this season alone that are already in my top shows of the year!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey_Draws View Post
    Sorry it's been a busy week. Bofuri was a fun little show, but i wouldn't say there was anything that really stood out in the end. But if your in for a nice chill fun time i'd give the dub a go. I'm waiting on the Dub for Slime, there are just so many damn shows this season are are really worth your time (86, To Your Eternity, Toyko Revengers) To say this season is stacked is an understatement, there are at least 5 shows this season alone that are already in my top shows of the year!
    I've been trying to get back in this season since I'm already watching Detective Conan, One Piece, Max Level, Godzilla: Singular Point, and the latest Gundam. What all are you enjoying this season?

Do you have any isekai/slice of life recommendations that the wife and I would enjoy? The last thing we watched was Log Horizon.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I've been trying to get back in this season since I'm already watching Detective Conan, One Piece, Max Level, Godzilla: Singular Point, and the latest Gundam. What all are you enjoying this season?

Do you have any isekai/slice of life recommendations that the wife and I would enjoy? The last thing we watched was Log Horizon.
    There are lots of worth while shows, but not many isekai/slice of life ones...well ones that aren't bleak as hell! I would say So I'm A Spider So What is an absolutely fantasic isekai this season (the MC is so good and the japanese VA does AMAZING work) Super Cub is a slice of Life about a girl and her moped that is super chill and great and worth checking out for a comfort watch and Zombie Land Saga is one of the best comedies this season (it's also it's second season) everything else will either leave you feeling crushed or crying...or both!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    2023 here we come!

August 13, 2021
    10 Dubbed Languages, 28 Subtitled Languages
    https://amazonuk.gcs-web.com/news-re...vangelion30101

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    This is (Not) a Drill!

The Evangelion Ultimate Edition is coming in a week!

https://evangelion.alltheanime.com/?...ngelion_teaser