Thread: Anime

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Anime virgin here. Who are some notable directors/creators, or where is a nice franchise to start?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somethingelse View Post
    Anime virgin here. Who are some notable directors/creators, or where is a nice franchise to start?
    Depends on your taste really but anything by Osamu Tezuka, Hayao Miyazaki and Toei Animation will do...
    Also check essential anime movies like: "Akira", "Ghost in the Shell", "Spirited Away", "Ninja Scroll", "Vampire Hunter D", "My Neighbor Totoro" and "Metropolis" (by Katsuhiro Otomo).

And Mostly: watch Evangelion...

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Depends on your taste really but anything by Osamu Tezuka, Hayao Miyazaki and Toei Animation will do...
    Also check essential anime movies like: "Akira", "Ghost in the Shell", "Spirited Away", "Ninja Scroll", "Vampire Hunter D", "My Neighbor Totoro" and "Metropolis" (by Katsuhiro Otomo).

And Mostly: watch Evangelion...
    I can't let you start watching anime without recommending three that played a huge part in me growing to love anime - Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Champloo (the latter two are both created by Shinichiro Watanabe, who's had a hand in making several other successful anime. There's also FLCL, which is only 6 episodes long, but the music in all of these anime is what really defines their tone and attitude, and FLCL has awesome music in spades.

Speaking of which - In case anyone's curious, Cowboy Bebop is being released on blu-ray, with a couple of awesome special editions full of commentary, a bonus short, script reading, and other stuff. One is a Funimation exclusive, and comes with a couple mini art books and stuff like that, and the other is an Amazon exclusive, which comes in a case that looks like a fucking VINYL RECORD SLEEVE and some art cards. I bought both. No shame.

Anyway, I'm starting JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, after one of my favorite youtuber/podcasters mentioning it time and time again. This shit is AWESOME.It's so over-the-top and crazy and intense. One of the early characters is named Robert E. O. Speedwagon. REO SPEEDWAGON. And apparently the names just get even crazier as the show goes on.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 10-19-2014 at 08:16 AM. Reason: TONPETTY. THIS DUDE'S NAME IS TONPETTY.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    I can't let you start watching anime without recommending three that played a huge part in me growing to love anime - Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Champloo (the latter two are both created by Shinichiro Watanabe, who's had a hand in making several other successful anime. There's also FLCL, which is only 6 episodes long, but the music in all of these anime is what really defines their tone and attitude, and FLCL has awesome music in spades.

Speaking of which - In case anyone's curious, Cowboy Bebop is being released on blu-ray, with a couple of awesome special editions full of commentary, a bonus short, script reading, and other stuff. One is a Funimation exclusive, and comes with a couple mini art books and stuff like that, and the other is an Amazon exclusive, which comes in a case that looks like a fucking VINYL RECORD SLEEVE and some art cards. I bought both. No shame.
    Good recommendations, i really like "Cowboy Bebop" it's actually my second favorite Anime right behind "Evangelion", didn't knew about the Blu Ray editions, damn, they do sound great!, i think i'll buy the "Vinyl edition", i already own the series on DVD but gladly buy again because it's that good!