Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMeowMeow View Post
    Can anyone recommend me anything like NGE, serial experiments lain, ergo proxy or steins gate? You know, deep and dark psychological stuff, preferably in a futuristic setting.
    Some of these recommendations aren't precisely what you are asking for but I'm a huge NGE and Steinsgate fan so.../ forgive me if you've seen some of these

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - its just great. Plot driven but the characters are all complex and wonderful and it honestly does give you a lot to think about. Grotesque and dark in places too. Better than the original in my opinion.

Elfen Lied
    - So fucked up, deeply psychological, very sad but also touching, futuristic sci fi setting for sure but sort of a small story in an interesting way

Baccano!
    - This anime is AMAZING. The only piece of storytelling ive seen that truly has no main characters or main plot. It takes the idea of an "ensemble cast" to a whole new level. In a way this anime is a deconstruction of the philosophical idea of a story itself. It's a bit confusing in the beginning but if you start, stick with it. Its truly one of a kind.

Gurren Lagan
    - Has my favorite art of any anime ever. Futuristic, mecha, philosophical as balls as well. Story really takes into account the possibilities of understanding quantum mechanics, and what it means to live in a world with set systems, that can be controlled once understood. I'm giving a weird description. Underneath all that its really a story about heart and not giving up. Great stuff.

Death Note - Pretty mainstream and an obvious pick, but I always think its worth mentioning in case anyone hasn't heard of it/ isn't that familiar with anime. Ive seen a lot of anime and this one is still superior than most in my opinion. I can watch it over and over.

Monster - My favorite anime of all time. Sort of a slow burner, but a masterpiece in my opinion. This is the thriller. Deeply psychological and political. I don't want to say anything about the plot b/c I went into it cold but it is essentially "No good deed goes unpunished" fully realized as a concept.

Code Geass - sci-fi/mecha/political The art can be offputting because its more in that cutesy style than the others listed, however the story is mature, can get very dark and I think the way the series grows is really fantastic. Great ending too and one of the most interesting protagonists in anime.

Attack on Titan -If your not watching this right now, WATCH. It just finished its first season. Also best to go in this one cold, but if you like being unsettled and entertained....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    thank you!
    I know elfenlied, attack on titan and death note already... but I'll definitly check out the rest

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I'm juuust about done with Blue Exorcist! It's pretty good, too. Still don't dig the whole "let's make every character barely 15 and not even mention it until halfway through the show" rule of anime, but that's just a trope thing.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMeowMeow View Post
    Can anyone recommend me anything like NGE, serial experiments lain, ergo proxy or steins gate? You know, deep and dark psychological stuff, preferably in a futuristic setting.
    You'll probably enjoy Madoka Magica - it masquerades as a lighthearted, Sailor Moon-esque 'magical girls' series on the surface, but gets much darker as the series progresses. It has similar time travel elements that made Steins;Gate enthralling, along with the gut-wrenching despair of NGE. The animation and direction (done by SHAFT, my favorite animation studio) is also very unique. I'd recommend watching the two Madoka films made recently - it has everything the TV series had, but with some animation upgrades.

I'd also recommend Fate/Zero - it's from the same guy that wrote Madoka, and has similar plot elements, but told in a vastly different way.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I haven't watched an anime series in years, but this past week I decided to pick a random on on Netflix, and started watching Attack on Titan. This show is damn good! Was instantly hooked on this one! highly recommend checking out this series.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    I haven't watched an anime series in years, but this past week I decided to pick a random on on Netflix, and started watching Attack on Titan. This show is damn good! Was instantly hooked on this one! highly recommend checking out this series.
    It's a fantastic series indeed. Amazing in every way. I second your post with all the power within me. In all seriousness, this one comes highly recommended.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Seconded on Attack on Titan! It gets crazy later in the show. You can see a couple things coming, but it throws some good curve balls. I'm really hoping to read the books once I can get them and see where the source material goes in comparison to the show.

Anyone else feel like .Hack//SIGN could have been considerably improved if they'd just handled it a little better? I love the series, but I feel like the dubs could have been better, the animation doesn't match anyone's voice. Like they're speaking really emphatically about something and just kinda casually standing there with maybe one quick movement - like someone with bad body language. I dunno. Part of me wants to see it redone in the future, but on the other hand, Sword Art Online seems to have taken its place.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tried watching Hack Sign with subs? Everything is better with subs.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Oh, hell yeah. Subs are almost always better. I guess I was speaking more in regard to the English dub than the series as a whole. But also, the animation seems to cheaply done sometimes.

I feel like only a handful of anime sound better with dub tracks, and that could mostly be attributed to having grown up watching them on Toonami or Adult Swim. I can't watch Cowboy Bebop or Trigun with subs.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I used to be like that with Neon Genesis but I think I just started watching it with subs one time out of habbit with other shows and now I can't stand the english dub of that either, lol.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sa_nick View Post
    I used to be like that with Neon Genesis but I think I just started watching it with subs one time out of habbit with other shows and now I can't stand the english dub of that either, lol.
    I feel like a lot of that happens somewhere in translation. There are just some things that sound better in Japanese than they do in English. But with Bebop and Trigun, everything fits well, there aren't any awkward "huh, that probably makes more sense in Japanese" moments. It happens once in a while, but now when I'm watching something for the first time, I generally go with subs, too. Aside from Space Dandy - and that's mainly because it's being simulcast in English AND Japanese, and it's just easier for me to flip the channel and watch that way. Most of my anime gets watched on DVDs I borrow from work or on the internet in one way or another.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Just finished watching the new Berserk movies. As a fan of the 90's show and the manga, I enjoyed the hell out of these. The bigger budget and the movie format give the story a very epic, cinematic scope. I wish they could make more movies or a show that continues the story past where the demons show up, but this is still a welcome retelling of the beginning. I also noticed while watching these what an influence Berserk had on the Dark Souls games.

If this was ever made into a live action movie it would, possibly, be the most violent and insane depiction of medieval warfare ever put on screen. It would never happen, but I would love to see one directed by Ridley Scott or Mel 'Banned From Hollywood' Gibson. Its the type of anime adaptation Hollywood should make, but they always pick the properties that don't translate well into film.
    Last edited by Millionaire; 03-29-2014 at 03:51 AM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Waiting for the Attack on Titan dub.

Seen some clips and it's def looking good.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Waiting for the Attack on Titan dub.

Seen some clips and it's def looking good.
    I managed to nab some of the manga from the library the other night, and I plan on barreling through them today. I'm on-call for a week as of last night, so it's not like I have much else I can do while I sit and wait. Interestingly, the first volume of the manga is not only EXACTLY like the first few episodes of the anime, but I feel like they actually included more in the anime than what was in the manga. They could've just bumped a few things up for exposition for the sake of the format, though. Either way, I'm excited, because the manga's story is coming up on being twice as far ahead of the anime.

Also, if any of you guys and gals are fans of Gurren Lagann and haven't been watching Kill La Kill, DO IT. It's from the same team, has the same energy, and gets just as weird in some places, if not more. The music's stellar, too! There are a couple parts later on that get a little further "out there" than necessary, but I chalk it up to anime being anime. I mean, in general, the concept of the story is strange, but they do the same thing GL did and build a universe in which that's conceivable. Anyway, you can see it on Hulu and Crunchyroll (both of which are free if you're watching on PC!) right now. I heard it's supposed to go for 25 episodes, and they just released episode 23 the other day. Just a couple more weeks until you can marathon the whole thing, if you choose to do so!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Kill la Kill is too fucking good. The series just ended on Thursday, but there's a bonus episode taking place after the series coming out in September.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    Kill la Kill is too fucking good. The series just ended on Thursday, but there's a bonus episode taking place after the series coming out in September.
    It ended?? I totally didn't see that 24th episode was up until you said something, haha. I know what I'm about to do.

Everyone, ignore what I said above! Watch that shit now! :P

Edit: YESSSS. They hit it out of the park again. What a crazy show.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 03-29-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Alright, so I feel like I need to ask - What are people's thoughts on Sword Art Online?

I finished it yesterday after watching it for a few days in my off-time, and while I thought the first half was spectacular, I feel like the second half really, REALLY went off the deep end, almost right away, but then it brought itself back about halfway through and finished on a good note.

Spoiler: The incest subplot was kinda interesting, and I'm glad that it ended without going "there" exactly, I feel like they tried to do one thing and then quickly realized how negatively people were receiving all the changes in the show and tried to veer back on course before the season ended, but I don't know what the development cycle for this show was like, so I guess I can't say that with absolute certainty.

Season 2 is looking interesting, though!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    Alright, so I feel like I need to ask - What are people's thoughts on Sword Art Online?
    I thought the premise was fantastic and super creepy but yeah I agree if fell apart in the second half. I thought it worked in the beginning b/c the stakes are so high. Also, the romance plot bugged me a lot. It was cute and sweet at times but the focus was too... much. You're right though the end got better.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Anime virgin here. Who are some notable directors/creators, or where is a nice franchise to start?

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somethingelse View Post
    Anime virgin here. Who are some notable directors/creators, or where is a nice franchise to start?
    Depends on your taste really but anything by Osamu Tezuka, Hayao Miyazaki and Toei Animation will do...
    Also check essential anime movies like: "Akira", "Ghost in the Shell", "Spirited Away", "Ninja Scroll", "Vampire Hunter D", "My Neighbor Totoro" and "Metropolis" (by Katsuhiro Otomo).

And Mostly: watch Evangelion...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Thank you. I'll check them out. I recall Toei Animation (checking out their wiki page now) from the Dragonball series and had no idea of the volume of work O.O

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somethingelse View Post
    Thank you. I'll check them out. I recall Toei Animation (checking out their wiki page now) from the Dragonball series and had no idea of the volume of work O.O
    Dragon Ball is very long, i just like the part till Goku becomes an adult, but Dragon Ball Z has many fans, watched parts of "Dragon Ball GT" but to be honest i gave up after "Z" ended...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 10-20-2014 at 12:12 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I also stopped watching halfway through GT, it didn't get me hooked like Z did.

Okay my beginning list is:
    Vampire Hunter D
    Metropolis
    Spirited Away
    The Wind Rises

&

Robotics;Notes
    Vandread
    Neon Genesis

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT

Yu Yu Hakusho

That's all.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Depends on your taste really but anything by Osamu Tezuka, Hayao Miyazaki and Toei Animation will do...
    Also check essential anime movies like: "Akira", "Ghost in the Shell", "Spirited Away", "Ninja Scroll", "Vampire Hunter D", "My Neighbor Totoro" and "Metropolis" (by Katsuhiro Otomo).

And Mostly: watch Evangelion...
    I can't let you start watching anime without recommending three that played a huge part in me growing to love anime - Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Champloo (the latter two are both created by Shinichiro Watanabe, who's had a hand in making several other successful anime. There's also FLCL, which is only 6 episodes long, but the music in all of these anime is what really defines their tone and attitude, and FLCL has awesome music in spades.

Speaking of which - In case anyone's curious, Cowboy Bebop is being released on blu-ray, with a couple of awesome special editions full of commentary, a bonus short, script reading, and other stuff. One is a Funimation exclusive, and comes with a couple mini art books and stuff like that, and the other is an Amazon exclusive, which comes in a case that looks like a fucking VINYL RECORD SLEEVE and some art cards. I bought both. No shame.

Anyway, I'm starting JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, after one of my favorite youtuber/podcasters mentioning it time and time again. This shit is AWESOME.It's so over-the-top and crazy and intense. One of the early characters is named Robert E. O. Speedwagon. REO SPEEDWAGON. And apparently the names just get even crazier as the show goes on.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 10-19-2014 at 08:16 AM. Reason: TONPETTY. THIS DUDE'S NAME IS TONPETTY.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    I can't let you start watching anime without recommending three that played a huge part in me growing to love anime - Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Champloo (the latter two are both created by Shinichiro Watanabe, who's had a hand in making several other successful anime. There's also FLCL, which is only 6 episodes long, but the music in all of these anime is what really defines their tone and attitude, and FLCL has awesome music in spades.

Speaking of which - In case anyone's curious, Cowboy Bebop is being released on blu-ray, with a couple of awesome special editions full of commentary, a bonus short, script reading, and other stuff. One is a Funimation exclusive, and comes with a couple mini art books and stuff like that, and the other is an Amazon exclusive, which comes in a case that looks like a fucking VINYL RECORD SLEEVE and some art cards. I bought both. No shame.
    Good recommendations, i really like "Cowboy Bebop" it's actually my second favorite Anime right behind "Evangelion", didn't knew about the Blu Ray editions, damn, they do sound great!, i think i'll buy the "Vinyl edition", i already own the series on DVD but gladly buy again because it's that good!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    Necro quote but I watched it on Adult Swim the other night and enjoyed it. I'd love to buy the show if I could but $40.00 for 4 episodes on blu-ray is a goddamn fucking straight up ripoff! WTF!

Resurrecting this thread to state I'm getting more into this genre than I ever did. I only ever initially liked Dragon Ball, Z and GT along with Yu Yu Hakusho.

I just got into Cowboy Bebop. Why the fuck did I wait so long?! I'm tempted to buy that glorious blu-ray because I know I'm going to fall in love with it. I loved the first session, like within minutes.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Recent viewings:
    Princess Jellyfish
    Puella Magi Madoka Magica- a dark spin on the Magical Girl trope
    Ouran High School Host Club- shut up!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Just went on a small spending spree for anime. Bought blu-ray season sets of DBZ (1, 2, 3), DBZ: Battle of the Gods, The complete Series of Cowboy Bebop on blu-ray, along with its movie also on blu-ray, season 1 of Yu Yu Hakusho, again blu-ray and a DVD copy of season one of Space Dandy.

Yepppp.