Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Meh. I've been using crunchy roll just fine for a couple months, just using their free membership. But if you can afford it and think the benefits (whatever they are, I forget) are worth it, then I guess go for it.

Been watching Persona 4 and Guilty Crown lately! I LOVE P4's art style, but Guilty Crown is kinda a slow burner for me so far.

Oh yeah, and I finally saw an episode of Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. Definitely NOT what I was expecting, but I can dig it.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by profane View Post
    Do you guys watch it subbed or dubbed? I always watch the original but I'd like to know what your take is on dubbed anime, because I feel like I miss a lot of the imagery by reading the subs. Thanks!
    With live foreign programming I always go for the natural voices and subtitles as i can't stand hearing vocal tracks that are out of sync with the real person's mouth movements but with animation i take a very different approach because well it's animation... and in my mind any voice that's dubbed in there is completely imaginative of what those characters are supposed to sound like, these characters don't exist so there's nothing definitive.

Obviously if the animation's production is Japanese it's going to be built for their native tongue's structure and naturally the first thing that happens is that there will be some Japanese voice acting, it would fit the best no doubt about that and in regards to authenticity that's what you might want but since anime is a visually dominant experience I want to make sure that i am paying absolute 100% attention to these details, every frame, every action and as such i usually decide against having to pivot my eyes from center screen to the bottom to catch the subtitles in fear that i miss something.

Most of the time I'm too focused on the animation and miss the subtitles anyways because they just fly by so freaking fast, rewinding or pausing to catch anything i might have missed and messing with the pacing of the show and how invested i am would just ruin it for me and honestly if I'm going to want to hear anything audible at all from these programs, to make sense of the story and drama I'm going to want to have it in a language that i understand since I won't be reading the scripture.

EDIT: I just watched the Vampire Hunter D films for the first time, really fantastic stuff!
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 12-17-2012 at 04:30 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I prefer subs over dubs, mainly because I like watching new anime directly after it's released in Japan and don't wanna wait months or years (or never) for an American company to license, then dub the series. It also seems that most dub studios only hire a small number of voice actors that they constantly use for every release, resulting in severe miscasting and cheesy dialogue compared to the original. Some dubs are great (Baccano, Evangelion, Black Lagoon, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop), but the majority of them just don't do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Here's my anime question: why has Akira not been topped? No anime full-length I have seen since Akira (which came out in 198fucking8) has come close. Nausicaa, Howl's Moving Castle, Paprika: great stuff, but not close to the epic scale and visual impact of Akira. I'd love some recommendations of films you think went beyond Akira...
    Hard to top Akira, but a few movies come close:

5 Centimeters Per Second
    Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
    End of Evangelion
    Ghost in the Shell (the original movie)
    Memories
    Redline
    The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

As for TV anime: I grew up on that stuff (Fist of the North Star, Lupin, DragonBall and dozens of others), but have no time for it now. The newer productions look so cheaply put together...and the Clamp style, or imitations of it, seems to have become ubiquitous.
    Sadly, you're correct - most animation studios only care about creating cheaply-made series with cliche storylines and cookie cutter, self-insert characters (and yes, the Clamp noodle-people style is way too prevalent these days.) There are still innovative studios like KyoAni (Nichijou, Hyouka), Gainax (FLCL, Panty & Stocking) and SHAFT (Bakemongatari, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Madoka Magica) that make original series with great animation. Still, mediocrity is far too prevalent.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    OK I will check out those films.
    I don't like Ghost in the Shell much: big disappointment. Masamune Shirow is one of my favourite artists of all time. I find that his manga and the anime derived from them don't live up to his art.

I am really looking forward to checking out the newly-released Berserk: Golden Age Arc I: The Egg of the King.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Here's my anime question: why has Akira not been topped? No anime full-length I have seen since Akira (which came out in 198fucking8) has come close. Nausicaa, Howl's Moving Castle, Paprika: great stuff, but not close to the epic scale and visual impact of Akira. I'd love some recommendations of films you think went beyond Akira...
    End of Evangelion is about the only one I can think of that is more epic/visually impactful than Akira. YMMV, of course.

I'll throw out a recommendation for an obscure favourite of mine: Angel's Egg. It predates Akira and is light on (explicit) plot, but it is a stunning and profound bit of art.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Getting into Joshiraku, Nodame Cantabile, Steins;Gate and Usagi Drop. All worth checking out, I'd say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    With the impending release of Evangelion 3.33, I'm really wanting to revisit the Evangelion series again.

I know the series is very deep, so can anyone recommend any websites, that offer explanations or background to the Evangelion story?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Lienert View Post
    With the impending release of Evangelion 3.33, I'm really wanting to revisit the Evangelion series again.

I know the series is very deep, so can anyone recommend any websites, that offer explanations or background to the Evangelion story?
    There was an excellent epiusode of Retronauts podcast a few months back regarding it, was a pleasure to listen to even though I'm not huge on eva.

I watch Girl Who Leapt through Time again the other night, it's really great, that and Summer Wars are some of my favourite releases as of late.. I need more like that pleeeese.
    Oh and my wife finally got back our DVD of Kino's Journey. Another beautiful, subtle yet engrossing series.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I have heard nothing but great things about Evangelion so I started watching it and I'm on episode 3 and so far I like it a lot. Plan on watching more today at some point. Are the past movies any good or should I stay away from them?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Am I alone here when I say I love Yu Yu Hakusho? I hope not. Besides Dragonball franchise that is definitely my favorite manga/anime.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Am I alone here when I say I love Yu Yu Hakusho? I hope not. Besides Dragonball franchise that is definitely my favorite manga/anime.
    No way you're alone. YYH was kick ass. I have the first season on DVD. It's been awhile since I've watched it, but yeah, I love that anime.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nemesiswontdie View Post
    No way you're alone. YYH was kick ass. I have the first season on DVD. It's been awhile since I've watched it, but yeah, I love that anime.
    They have DVD season sets of it? Why did I now know of this? I haven't seen it in close to 8 years at least. I need to get my hands on those sometime soon.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    They have DVD season sets of it? Why did I now know of this? I haven't seen it in close to 8 years at least. I need to get my hands on those sometime soon.
    Pretty cheap too.
    http://www.amazon.com/Yu-Hakusho-Gho...=yu+yu+hakusho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    There was an excellent epiusode of Retronauts podcast a few months back regarding it, was a pleasure to listen to even though I'm not huge on eva.

I watch Girl Who Leapt through Time again the other night, it's really great, that and Summer Wars are some of my favourite releases as of late.. I need more like that pleeeese.
    Oh and my wife finally got back our DVD of Kino's Journey. Another beautiful, subtle yet engrossing series.
    Awesome, thanks for that. Do you know what episode number it was?

Summer Wars was a fantastic movie too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nemesiswontdie View Post
    I have heard nothing but great things about Evangelion so I started watching it and I'm on episode 3 and so far I like it a lot. Plan on watching more today at some point. Are the past movies any good or should I stay away from them?
    Evangelion is such an awesome series! I've watched the whole series 3 times and I still get something out of it. My first taste of Eva was The End of Evangelion, so I did it all backwards. It takes a while to get through the original series and the ending is both perplexing and bemusing (don't let this discourage you though!). That is why they brought out 2 other "Ending" movies, Death & Rebirth (which I haven't seen yet) AND End of Evangelion (An awesome movie and much better ending to the series).

Also, they have been releasing Rebuild Movies of the Evangelion series. These are a recap/retelling of the original series. They are beautifully made and very enjoyable. The 3rd one that is coming out, looks epic!

So, all in all, I highly recommend the series! You should keep going with the original series, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to check out the Rebuild Movies, they are more like an overview/fast-forward through the series. Enjoy!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    From the trailer Summer Wars looks awesome: I must check it out.

Recently watched the new Berserk movie: it's OK.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Del Toro adapting Monster for HBO....http://www.slashfilm.com/guillermo-d...manga-monster/

holy fuck....my favorite anime ever, probably 2nd favorite show of all time.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

The image below gives you a good understanding of what is actually going on in the series (huge spoilers to anyone why hasn't watched the series)

It takes a while to get through the original series and the ending is both perplexing and bemusing (don't let this discourage you though!). That is why they brought out 2 other "Ending" movies, Death & Rebirth (which I haven't seen yet) AND End of Evangelion (An awesome movie and much better ending to the series).

Also, they have been releasing Rebuild Movies of the Evangelion series. These are a recap/retelling of the original series. They are beautifully made and very enjoyable. The 3rd one that is coming out, looks epic!
    'Death & Rebirth' is actually a recap of the series, along with the first half of The End of Evangelion. There's really no reason to watch it if you've seen The End of Eva. And yes, episodes 25 & 26 of the original series are almost too abstract to watch. Glad they made a 'true' ending with The End of Evangelion!

Also, the Rebuild movies are actually a sequel to the original, not a 1:1 recap/retelling of the original story. The first movie is almost completely the same as the original, but parts of 2.22 and all of 3.33 deviate greatly from the original. Watched 3.33 recently and it was pretty damn good, though very depressing....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Awesome, thanks! I'll read through it after work.

I was a bit fucked off (mainly with myself) with my DVD of 3.33. I didn't know that it wasn't going to have English subtitles! But, at least I could enjoy it, visually. It was also fun to try and guess what was going on. Does anyone know when an english subtitle release will be available???

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm a huge fan of NGE, but I have to say that the ending to the series as well as the End of Evangelion sort of threw me for a loop and for some reason I never bothered to look online for interpretations of the story. Also, learning about the history of the timeline in the series was difficult for me as it's all so disjointed and somewhat hard to follow at times. That synopsis that you posted, @Presideo , was phenomenal. Thanks for that, I enjoyed reading it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    *thumbs up for Kino... Awesome series.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Recommendations, please. I'm watching Evangelion (through the first 7 episodes) and I loved Full Metal Alchemist, but that's all I've seen. I'm thinking about Cowboy Bebop and Hellsing.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Perhaps it was just a mere change of interests, but I used to be more big on anime back in the early 2000s. I still remember getting into Slayers. I miss watching that show. This particular scene just stuck with me.

Here's the theme song.

I think I also still have some love for Outlaw Star. *Sigh* The power of nostalgia. It's taking me back to high school again.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Recommendations, please. I'm watching Evangelion (through the first 7 episodes) and I loved Full Metal Alchemist, but that's all I've seen. I'm thinking about Cowboy Bebop and Hellsing.
    If you watched the original FMA series I'd recommend the FMA: Brotherhood, which is better in my opinion. Also other series I've enjoyed a lot and would recommend to check out: Attack on Titan, Fate/Zero and Steins;Gate.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    ^Attack on Titan and SteinsGate are both fantastic. Will def check out Fate/Zero

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Can anyone recommend me anything like NGE, serial experiments lain, ergo proxy or steins gate? You know, deep and dark psychological stuff, preferably in a futuristic setting.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Anyone have recommendations for shows/films similar to Ergo Proxy? I never really got into anime full-on, but I thoroughly enjoyed Ergo Proxy.

Edit: Whoa! I didn't notice the comment above mine prior to posting.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Trigun. I cannot recommend Trigun enough to anybody, especially people who are interested in/already seen Cowboy Bebop - mainly because those have been two of my all-time favorites since the Toonami/early Adult Swim years, so I can't think of one without thinking of the other, heh. I love the space western settings, despite both of them being radically different stories, and the music in both is top notch, both with soundtracks that get heavy rotation in my collection on the daily. Not to mention they've been two of the shows that have probably impacted me as a person more than any other anime I can think of.

Both Bebop and Trigun also have a movie out, which are basically hour-and-a-half-long versions of episodes, in a good way. One could watch them stand-alone and still follow along really well, but it's nice to be familiar with the universe so you can pick up on all the little things.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    My ultimate recommendation would be: Ghost in the Shell.
    People generally more familiar with the movie, but I think Stand Alone Complex series is by far the best anime I've seen.
    (Before you ask, it's not a sequel or prequel to the movies, but rather a different manga adaptation)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Anime

I love cowboy bebop and trigun so much and definitely second that recommendation. Ergo Proxy is one of my other favorites..it's stunningly beautiful if nothing else.