Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: The Wire

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

The Wire

Similar to the Oz thread, I'm starting this one well after the show has ended. I've always been told to watch this one because it's "the greatest show ever." I'm about halfway through season 2, and I have to say I still think Breaking Bad has it beat by a mile. Still, this is a damn good show. I'm also enjoying seeing all the characters from Oz on this.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    There isn't one already? Insane, if no. Figured there is/was. Amazing show. Prime reason as to why I'll likely never travel to Baltimore, ever.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    its not nearly that bad there anymore (still f'ed up though), and that stuff is easily avoidable there. Fun city, u should go at some point.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    A class above Breaking Bad IMO. Season 4 is my favourite.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Co-Signing the opinion of it being the greatest show ever. It's TV for adults. No wacky superheroes or -villains, no superficial cliffhangers, well thought out narratives, no over the top storylines, amazing characters, extremely well written. Season 2 probably my favourite.

Also worth checking out is Simon's follow up Treme, which features some of the actors of The Wire. It's about the people of New Orleans struggling for normalcy after the hurricane.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    It should also be noted that this show feels more like the visualization of a great novel than everything else... With the way it's trying to get its themes and idea's across. Like, in season one its all about the war on drugs, two is about the falling apart of the workers union, three is about the real estate business, four is about the school system and five about journalism and the media. On top of that you've got examinations of police work and brutality, drug wars, political campaigns and the inner workings of a typical american city. As such it's a more daring - and dare I say important - show than much of what came before and/or after.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I think the new official trailer does a good job of selling it:

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I thinks not, Terrell. I thinks not.
    -- Omar

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Finished this.

Loved it.

I still can't say it's the best show ever. It's up there though. Breaking Bad still has the crown for me. Probably because I watched it while it was still airing. I can never be swayed on that.

For me, my top 3 are:

1) Breaking Bad
    2) Oz
    3) The Wire
    Last edited by Bachy; 04-27-2017 at 04:29 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Mine:

1) Oz
    2) The Shield / The Wire
    3) Breaking Bad
    4) Twin Peaks
    5) Deadwood

How was Season 5 of the Wire? As good as Season 4 was? Do they wrap the whole thing up convincingly? I will be tuning into it as soon as I finish the first season of Six Feet Under..
    I'll just say they end it as it probably should have.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The GOAT show for me and nothing comes close

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Is it bad that I don't fully trust people who haven't watched this show?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Is it bad that I don't fully trust people who haven't watched this show?
    After watching this show, I don’t fully trust people period.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Trust? Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    HBO is doing a "The Wire at 20" podcast series... it's like a making of, where they interview/focus on certain producers, actors, etc. in each episode. Here's the first one, it has some great quotes from David Simon and other writers/producers:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    The fifth episode features Mc Nulty, Lester and Prez:

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Every fan of The Wire should watch Black Market, featuring Mr. Michael K. Williams, on Vice TV.

If you have cable, you can get it on demand with your fire stick or roku box.
    If you don't have roku, or an alternative, (edit: get it. It's cheap, and full.of free and cheap entertainment options. Don't punch yourself in the face, as I previously suggested. That would only help ME, and I'm trying to live as an altruist).

It's the last thing MKW ever did. It's eye opening, as far as what he's covering.

It's also heart wrenching, to see him spending time with addicts and shedding tears for THEM, as he tells them he knows exactly what they're going through.
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-30-2022 at 08:06 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    that Wire podcast is excellent. Next week's episode is gonna be about Williams & will prolly be a bit of a bum out.

Listening to Method Man alternate between lines clearly written by the podcast's (white) producer & then his own lines/adlibs is pretty entertaining.

Saw a few episodes of Black Market. Def a good show.

I need to watch We Own This City.