Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Post-2018 Touring - Set Wishlist?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Question Post-2018 Touring - Set Wishlist?

Although we arguably need plenty of time to recover from having our minds blown by COLD and BLACK and INFINITE, why not start recording our fantasies for the next tour now? I know I need a distraction to lessen the sting of withdrawal...

In order to provide a bit of structure, I've suggested some questions below to consider, but freeform daydreaming is also encouraged...

1. MIA Most-Played: Which 5 of the historically MOST-played songs that DID NOT get played in 2017-18 would you like to see return? I'll define "most-played" as a track with at least 50 performances per setlist.fm or nintourhistory.com, which is effectively the same as the top 75 on setlist.fm.
    2. Resurrected Rarities: Which 5 of the historically LEAST-played songs (fewer than 50 performances) that DID NOT get played in 2017-18 would you like to see return?
    3. Benched Live Hits: Which 5 live "hall of fame" songs (setlist.fm top 20, or >275 historical performances) would you like to see benched for the next tour to make room for responses to 1 & 2, as well as (hopefully!) new material? To keep it interesting, try to only pick only 1 of the 3 Hs...
    4. 2017-18 All-Star Live Debuts: Which 3 2017-18 live debuts would you like to see in regular rotation going forward?
    5. Future Live Debuts: Which 3 never-performed-live tracks would you sever a valuable appendage to hear?

Here are my responses to get things going...

1. MIA Most-Played (ranked in descending order of historical live frequency):
      1. Get Down, Make Love - a personal favorite on record that will forever have me regretting the fact that I missed the W_T summer 2006 leg. Would love to see this take the place of I'm Afraid of Americans next time.
      2. The Only Time - a classic that deserves to be more than an interpolation.
      3. No, You Don't - another personal near-miss during the W_T spring 2005 leg. Great song whose elusiveness has made me want it even more.
      4. Love Is Not Enough - fortunate to have already seen LINE live twice already, but it has only continued to grow on me in the intervening years.
      5. The Warning - a favorite from LITS that is overdue for a comeback. I'd happily trade away some Great Destroyer instances, though I suspect the functional nature of the breakdown (as a breather for most of the band) means it's not easily dislodged.

2. Resurrected Rarities (ranked in ascending order of historical live frequency):
      1. We're in This Together - one of my favorite NIN tracks; probably my live Holy Grail now that TPD has debuted.
      2. Capital G - an essential track? Perhaps not, but rarity value has increased my interest its return.
      3. Please - knowing that this was played at the Tension rehearsal gig but not during the actual tour really piques my curiosity.
      4. Closer to God - fortunate to have already seen this live, and my head nearly exploded at the time. It would be fantastic to have CTG swapped in for Closer every now and again.
      5. God Given - always felt this was an overlooked gem live as on record; Robin's whispering and the funky baseline are divine.

3. Benched Live Hits (including only 1 of 3 Hs):
      1. Gave Up - Realizing I'm totally spoiled, but I'm just burnt out on this. Why not lean on HiS and Last for the next tour (or seven) instead?
      2. Reptile - I'd love to see play counts for Ruiner, Heresy or The Becoming creep up, and Reptile is an obvious trade. Surely the green lights would work for one of them too...
      3. The Wretched - taking this out of rotation would free up space for NYD, Please, ITV or (if we're truly blessed, again) WITT.
      4. The Hand That Feeds - for an uptempo, poppy equivalent, more Less Than, CBH or Discipline would be a breath of fresh air.
      5. Piggy - I've liked Piggy more on record than live for while now, but I recognize it doesn't have many analogues when it comes to mood and tempo. Filtering purely on the latter, however, I'd welcome the return of All Time Low or Vessel.

4. 2017-18 All-Star Live Debuts:
      1. The Perfect Drug - it was even better than I dared hope, especially the tweaked coda; fully deserves to become a future staple until we all turn on it (hah).
      2. Ahead of Ourselves - although GBDTD was the live Bad Witch standout for me, I feel like it demands Shit Mirror and AoO precede it to set the mood (if not Play the Goddamn Part). So, AoO wins for the sake of its versatility in future setlists that are not focused on showcasing BW specifically.
      3. The Lovers - Trent seems to love it live, and so do I. I was shocked when I first heard it at Panorama, since I wasn't sure how it would work - particularly at a festival - but it really does.

5. Future Live Debuts:
      1. Zero-Sum - the resurrection of ITT in L.A. without the Zero-Sum outro reminded me how integral that was to my love for ITT live, and that I would pay stupid money to hear a standalone rendition.
      2. Memorabilia - Closer to God was among my first NIN purchases, and Memorabilia opened my eyes to the potential for covers and b-sides to be truly revelatory. I fear this will never happen, but 2018 makes me (very, very) modestly more hopeful.
      3. Everything - in a vacuum I might have picked Where Is Everybody? or The Idea of You, but I think the reactions to Everything live would be more amusing to witness.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    1. I just wanna hear a real barn-stormin' performance of "The Downward Spiral" title track with Atticus, now... otherwise I'm very satisfied. Don't really need any more Pretty Hate Machine-era tracks to come back, thanks.

2. Something heavy and psychedelic from Ghosts I-IV... would also be great to hear "Not So Pretty Now", "Getting Smaller", "You Know What You Are?", more aggressive punk-y stuff like that. Yeah, of course we all wanna hear "We're In This Together" again, but maybe if we don't ask so much, then they'll make it happen, haha!

3. As much fun as it ALWAYS is to hear in person, "Burn" is on the verge of wearing out its welcome for me. No particular reason, I'm just not looking forward to hearing it as much as I used to.

4. "And All That Could Have Been" works SO well... jaw-droppingly well. I kind of want to see them play it again and again, but I also want it to be a special treat, which is of course an insoluble paradox!

5. AGREED: PLAY "MEMORABILIA" ALREADY! Let Robin do his spoken word 'what do your nipples look like?' part through the weird octave shifter/distortion box from "Dear World," and then freak out on the outro with the delay pedals. It'll rule, I promise. ALL the bonus points for pulling out "I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally". Let's also get "A Violet Fluid" going up in this piece! Why not?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    1. Love Is Not Enough (I would maybe say The Only Time, but it has that dope breakdown in Closer that is sick which is good enough for me)
    2. We're In This Together (Probably my favorite NIN song or song of all time so that was pretty easy to choose)
    3. Reptile for sure, I have yet to see it live and it is one of my faves from TDS
    4. The Perfect Drug, it is so crazy seeing it live (I've also seen Ahead of Ourselves life too but TPD is just some next level live craziness) so probably And all that could have been in the future for me
    5. I would love to see Not Anymore or the Idea of You live because I feel like they would be really interesting to see but Zero-Sum has a more emotional connection to me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    1.-You know what you are, The line begins to blur, No you Dont, Fragile, Right where it belongs
    2.-Every day is exactly the same, complication, we're in this together, I would for You, in two
    3.-The hand that feeds, survivalism, terrible lie
    4.-Shit Mirror, Ahead, lovers, the perfect drug, Aatchb
    5.- Leaving Hope, The idea of You, Not anymore, where is everybody, sunspots, Ripe (with decay)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    1. Get Down, Make Love, Ringfinger, Beside You In Time, Love Is Not Enough, Heresy
    2. ANYTHING from Ghosts, Lights In The Sky, What If We Could?, Various Methods Of Escape, Deep
    3. Head Like A Hole, Only, Closer, The Hand That Feeds, Wish
    4. The Perfect Drug, And All That Could Have Been, God Break Down The Door
    5. Another Version Of The Truth, Everything, Leaving Hope

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I'm still holding out hope that I'll get to see "That's What I Get" at some point here.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'd be happy enough finally getting any of Heresy, Ruiner, The Becoming, or I Do Not Want This live. Those TDS deep cuts have evaded me long enough now.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    1. Right Where it Belongs, Non-Entity, In This Twilight (zero sum outro), Ruiner, and Discipline
    2. God Given, Piggy (Nothing Can Stop Me Now), Getting Smaller, We're In This Together, and Various Methods of Escape
    3. THTF, Only, Closer, Gave Up, and Burn
    4. The Perfect Drug (could easily slide into THTF's spot), And All That Could Have Been, Over and Out
    5. Sunspots, Sunspots, and Sunspots

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    PLAY "MEMORABILIA" ALREADY! Let Robin do his spoken word 'what do your nipples look like?' part through the weird octave shifter/distortion box from "Dear World," and then freak out on the outro with the delay pedals. It'll rule, I promise.
    This NEEDS TO HAPPEN!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miked732 View Post
    I forgot about Getting Smaller! In fact, your post has convinced me to change my answer #2 to swap out both "WITT" and "Maybe Just Once" for "Getting Smaller" and "Not So Pretty Now." But I still want my other PHM-era tracks!
    This swap should be cross-posted to Controversial NIN Opinions

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Bring back "not so pretty now"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Bring back "not so pretty now"
    I’ve never been a huge fan, but its fairly unique status as a rare, live-only track for so long gave it a certain mystique. I’d be happy to have it return to the mix along with Deep - as long as it doesn’t come at the expense of my more-cherished rarities, of course!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Last and The Becoming. Shout out to No, you don't, Dear world and A Warm place.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Post-2018 Touring - Set Wishlist?

About a week-ish before the first night of the NA tour in Phoenix I wrote in one of the threads my "wishlist" of songs I was hoping they'd pull out for the tour, but wasn't holding my breath on. Was stupidly happy to cross off 8 of them within the shows I saw: Last, Sin, Eraser, Starfuckers, Suck, Mr. Self Destruct, AND ALL THAT COULD HAVE BEEN, plus I finally got a Now I'm Nothing opener. What a hell of a run.

Hope next tour they will add Right Where It Belongs, The Idea of You, Sunspots, and - god damn it, I don’t get why this isn’t played anymore, but after 18 times seeing NIN live and not getting it, I guess it’s my unicorn - The Fragile. Among others, of course, but those would be top of my list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by magnolia; 12-26-2018 at 08:51 PM.