Thread: 2018.12.15 Los Angeles, CA @ Palladium

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

2018.12.15 Los Angeles, CA @ Palladium

The End

Detroit-ish Area Bacon Taste: Deliciously Maple
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    "We'll be back" that guy on the stage. Who did most of the singing.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

2018.12.15 Los Angeles, CA @ Palladium

Man, what a blast!

This was my 5th show of the tour, and it might well have been my favorite (and that’s saying a lot because I was at the Fri and Sat Vegas shows in June, on the rail for the complete Broken performance in Phoenix, and Phoenix night 2).

I mentioned it in the merch thread, but I missed out on the Emek film poster by about 20 people in line. If you’ve got one for trade, I’ll trade regular versions of BOTH Phoenix posters for it (I have foil variants I’ll be framing, so I don’t really need the regular versions).

I absolutely loved the HTDA stuff (fuck the haters), Garson was awesome, the crowd was insane, the band sounded great, and I FINALLY got to see The Perfect Drug.

Off to Disneyland now, before the wife and I head back to Phoenix on Monday.

Thank you, Trent, Atticus, Robin, Alessandro, Ilan, and everyone who had a hand in delivering this incredible tour!

Til next time...
    Last edited by caca; 12-16-2018 at 11:39 AM.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Christmas music with Mike Garson!?

Highlight of the show for me was "Just Like You Imagined" - haven't seen that song performed since 2009!

Last edited by NotoriousTIMP; 12-16-2018 at 12:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    opening the encore with what child is this/greensleeves was weird and awesome and a lot of people were utterly confused. (hahaha-- someone near me was like, "is that paul shaffer?" i have overheard some incredibly dumb shit at nin shows, but that was just like... wtf?) the whole thing felt very david lynch, especially with the red & green logos.

anyway, when tr came onstage he said something to the effect of "bet no one picked that in the setlist sweepstakes!", which made me laugh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    opening the encore with what child is this/greensleeves was weird and awesome and a lot of people were utterly confused. (hahaha-- someone near me was like, "is that paul shaffer?" i have overheard some incredibly dumb shit at nin shows, but that was just like... wtf?) the whole thing felt very david lynch, especially with the red & green logos.

anyway, when tr came onstage he said something to the effect of "bet no one picked that in the setlist sweepstakes!", which made me laugh.
    i did not recognize the first part of encore as a specific song but the red and green logos of course led me to say merry christmas to the couple in front of me who were quite nice the entire show. when trent said "bet no one picked this" i was baffled because it seemed possible that garson was going to sit in again, especially on JLYI. i need to re-listen. that was a cool part of the show (even tho just garson solo - right?)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    opening the encore with what child is this/greensleeves was weird and awesome and a lot of people were utterly confused.
    I loved it! It’s weird, but going to these shows in December and being so busy at work made me lose track of the holidays, but the beginning of the encore brought me right back.

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Now that it’s been a few days I’d say my favorite part of this show was actually Trent’s little speeches and interaction with the crowd. I’ve never been to a show where he talked this much between songs and he seemed really heartfelt, genuine and appreciative.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Show thoughts!

1. The Soft Moon were a great opener. Didn't get to see them the previous night.
    2. Despite their static setlists, lack of stage presence, and the fact that I've now unwillingly seen them more than tons of band I love, The Jesus and Mary Chain were an enjoyable way to spend 50 minutes each night, and I'll look back on their show with fondness.
    3. THAT THREE SONG BROKEN TEASE WAS MEAN.
    4. I wouldn't have minded terribly, but I was a little worried early on that this was going to be more of a greatest hits night, i.e. let's play our absolute strongest / most familiar stuff so we go out on a high note. Glad that wasn't the mentality.
    5. I was really happy with the crowd this night. I was up pretty close with my girlfriend, so I was hoping it didn't get too crazy. Some shows were brutal while others were more tame. This seemed to be a really nice amount of energy, at least from where I was.
    6. My third time seeing The Perfect Drug and still utterly surreal. If they never play it again, I'll always be happy I got to see it. That said, it sounds awesome live, and the crowd loves it, so with any luck, it's not going anywhere.
    7. BBB was a nice surprise! Really happy Mariqueen came out three times in LA. I'm sure they know the casual fans don't want to hear HTDA, and I'm so glad they don't give a fuck.
    8. I was realllly slow on the uptake when Garson came out. I first noticed the red and green logo an just though, "huh. That's different." Then, when Garson came out by himself, I thought we were going to get the Down In The Park solo into the actual song with Gary Numan like in '09. Then, I started to recognize the melody was actually Greensleeves... and thennnn I finally put it together with the red and green. I'm not always the brightest tool in the deck.
    9. I won't be surprised if Over And Out gets retired after this tour, but I've enjoyed getting to hear it.
    10. I never thought I'd confuse these two people, but I spotted someone in VIP who was definitely either Justin Meldal-Johnsen or Eric Andre. Anyone know? EDIT: It was pointed out to me that JMJ posted on here about it. So cool!
    11. Lovely to finally meet @Come_Reptile, who was a huge part of me being able to go to all six shows in LA!
    12. Not that it's all over, I'm so glad I went to all six shows. Every single night had something where, if I hadn't gone, I would've felt like I missed out on something. That's really impressive.
    Last edited by Toadflax; 12-17-2018 at 02:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmj View Post
    Was at the gig last night and got my head blown off!
    @Toadflax it was justin! he also posted this pic to instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Brb3twfHEzO/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    A little late posting in here, but...

Such an incredible show. Being the only night I could see on the tour, I loved JAMC. The Soft Moon is a favorite and so stoked I got to see them in Portland and then the Palladium in a week's time. The 5 hours flew by! Really great crowd, too, except for the psycho who kicked and punched people right behind me. Major props to security acting quickly to get her out. And to the crowd in general for letting the poor guy who was bleeding get back to his spot up front with us.

That Broken tease but brutal. But Last was worth it.

Mariqueen sounded great, and BBB is my fave HTDA song. Maybe we'll get more HTDA in the future?

The Mike Garson songs felt so special. The Christmas theme at the start cracked me up. My life is now divided into pre-JLYI live and post-JLYI live.

Got to meet some ETS folks! @Toadflax, spending the show next to the sweetest @m0reta, and @Jordan being the real MVP. Y'all are amazing <3
    Last edited by Come_Reptile; 12-18-2018 at 12:12 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Those are the only full videos of merit I took Saturday night. Was surprised by the lack of bigger epic-ness in the setlist as others have said. But the encore was pretty awesome and helped soothe the wound I started feeling earlier in the show as we kept going through the motions of often played songs (Gave Up, Bad Witch trilogy, THTF, HLAH).

Just watched my JLYI video. Sounds massive haha. Proud of myself (my little external mic actually).

Was hoping for a more talky Trent, but no biggie. Glad I got his speech before La Mer. Nice how he went in depth with his entire crew on the shout outs.

Setlist:
    Also, I have an extra EMEK film print from this show. PM me with any trade or $$$ offers!

As for trades, I need the Miles Tsang LA print as I couldn't snag one Saturday, as well as any of the Radio City NYC & Brooklyn foils.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 12-18-2018 at 01:30 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    shout out to @Discobunny who I had a nice little convo with on line before the show! Great meeting you!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    It was nice meeting you too! Hope nobody else got the evil NIN-fluenza.
    I'm so glad I went to all six LA shows, I would have been super sad had I missed one.

Talking with everyone in line made the days go by so much quicker.

Looking forward to seeing the professional video recordings from these shows...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'm sure many have seen this, but it was "new" to me, so I thought I'd post it. I was feeling nostalgic today and looked to see if there was a complete video of this show on YouTube.

Goddamn!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caca View Post

Goddamn!
    You're welcome!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    You're welcome!
    Phenomenal work!