Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

2018.12.14 Los Angeles, CA @ Palladium

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    NIN went hard with lasers and strobing
    Great job
    Last edited by Avarik; 12-16-2018 at 03:11 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Mike Garson, Gary Numan and Mariqueen.

What's not to like? (apart from the piano sounding way too high in the mix when Garson was playing).

We got a tweaked In This Twilight with lots of Garson, and the longest The Great Destroyer breakdown that I've heard.

I was fighting food poisoning, so played it safe and didn't mosh. Hopefully tomorrow...

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I was still a little hyper from the show, so I went ahead and uploaded the two songs I got in full tonight to YouTube. Will add thoughts and other photos later, though, now I’m feeling exhausted.

What an incredible fucking night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    So that's what he said. I thought my earplugs might have affected the mix, but the piano does sound a little intrusive...

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tape later this weekend.

just wanted to say how much I enjoyed hanging out with everyone before the show. It was an awesome time, everyone was so nice and I am looking forward to going back down this morning and chatting.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Show thoughts!

1. The surprises keep coming!
    2. I was laughing at the multiple people in the audience who were complaining the band wasn’t playing the exact setlist they wanted. “Play Wish!” / “Closer!” / “What is this?” “I don’t know, some new shit.” (it was the five year old Find My Way.) Also, the band doesn’t take requests, idiot. This isn’t Wayne Newton at Caesar’s Palace.
    3. Opening the show with four (non-instruments) album openers in a row was interesting. I was wondering if they were just going keep going (Wish, B/B, Copy, etc.).
    4. I’m glad the set was so all over the place, but it did make for probably the most disjointed feeling NIN show I’ve ever been to. Usually they’ll stick with a certain mood for a few songs before transitioning. This felt more haphazard.
    5. Garson was such a welcome surprise, especially doing stuff he’s never done with them before. I got to hear JLYI live back in ‘09; never thought I’d hear it again.
    6. I didn’t have the same issue with the piano being to hot in the mix from where I was. It was often too quiet, actually. My bigger issue was some of the songs just sounded wrong, whether they were under-rehearsed or if I just didn’t always like what Garson was adding.
    7. Along those lines, I’m pretty sure I prefer the original version of In This Twilight. No matter what, though, getting to hear Garson on all those songs was an amazing treat, even if it wasn’t perfect.
    8. The Great Destroyer -> Burning Bright is still so fucking awesome. Atticus’ breakdown keeps getting longer, and I love it.
    9. I had looked up Gary Numan’s tour schedule and was sure he wouldn’t be there, so that was a huge surprise. Turns out I was confusing November for December when I looked, ha!
    10. I love Ice Age and love that Mariqueen came out again for this show. That said, I don’t know how I feel about ending with such a soft song and then going into Hurt. It just feels like the show fizzled. It seems like a no-brained to end with a banger and then go into Hurt so the audience is still energized at the end. Not complaining, though. More “this is what I would do,” not “I didn’t enjoy it because...”
    11. Being surprised five nights in a row has me really trying to temper my expectations for tonight. Part of me wants to go, “how are they going to top themselves tonight?!” but I’m trying to be pragmatic and go in like I did every other night: just expect a great show, and any surprises are a bonus.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

2018.12.14 Los Angeles, CA @ Palladium

I’m still processing last night. It was my 17th show, and it’s hard for me to believe they can KEEP ON topping themselves each time I see them. I’m pretty sure I audibly gasped when they started into Just Like You Imagined. I prefer the album version of In This Twilight, but I still thought it sounded incredible. My shitty iPhone recordings above don’t do them justice. Both of those songs were firsts for me.

Last night was the first time I can ever remember tapping out of the pit. I like to be up close at concerts. But my husband hates crowds and being squashed in with other people, so I was feeling sorry for him - it was crazy, and we kept winding up next to a group of total shitheads that seemed hellbent on starting a fight - one particular little asshole squared up at me like he was going to throw a punch after I elbowed him after knocking into me during Sin. Insert eye roll here. Anyway, after Copy of A started we had already been thrown back so far from where we began, (about 4th from rail, dead center), that I said fuck it, and we went for a water, and stayed at the back. I will say I have never appreciated The Great Destroyer as much as I did last night from the back.

I got some good photos then from the back, but they’re all on my point and shoot, so will post them later I suppose.

I’m already feeling a little depressed at the thought that tonight is the last night. I don’t want it to end!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i wrote up notes last night when i got home but was too exhausted/amped to actually post anything. good god damn, though-- the energy was through the roof. i am not normally a huge fan of all the guest appearances, but i loved having so many last night. and so many great little surprises in the set. i want to put tonight's show off a little longer both because i don't want it to be over, and because i want to savor last night a little longer, too.

random thoughts:
    - great destroyer into burning bright was insane. this isn't my video, but it's the only one i've found that's remotely decent of tgd:

- the difference between the hand that feeds last night and the second night in sf was like night and day. last night it was a dance party ERUPTION. in sf everyone took a nap.
    - seeing trent so comfortable and chatty has been such a gift.
    - i really, really, really do not want this run of shows to end.
    - i know we probably won't get to hear sin again tonight but i really hope we do.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Does anyone have a mint ticket stub from this night they could scan in HQ for me i had a digital ticket and would like to print a hard copy for a memory in my scrapbook any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScreamingSlave View Post
    Does anyone have a mint ticket stub from this night they could scan in HQ for me i had a digital ticket and would like to print a hard copy for a memory in my scrapbook any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Photo with an iPhone 8 okay?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Photo with an iPhone 8 okay?
    Sure as long as it's clear and not blurry that will work thanks!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Cool. I’ll try to remember this weekend. PM me next week if you haven’t heard from me.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Good?

cc: @ninlive if you don’t already have this one.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post

Good?

cc: @ninlive if you don’t already have this one.
    Yes perfect thank you!