Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's the shortest and closest distance you have traveled to see Nine Inch Nails?

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

What's the shortest and closest distance you have traveled to see Nine Inch Nails?

I thought I'd play off of the "longest and farthest" thread and give people a chance to talk about those shows where you think "wow, I can't believe they're playing so close!"

My record is Vegas. Door to door was less than 20 minutes walking. I was already there for work, so I didn't travel to see the show...that was simply my home for the day already.

Gotta imagine there are people here in larger cities who have had similar experiences, especially with the club shows back in '09.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Yeah, when I saw HTDA in 2013, I walked to the gig. Maybe a half an hour's walking, two and a bit km, or a mile and a half for you Americans.

I was working across the bridge at the Exhibition grounds in 2009 during Virgin Festival, so I went straight there after the show and did an overnight call, for about the first hour "Head Like a Hole" was still ringing in my ears.

Usually I take public transit to the Toronto shows; in 2014 I biked, which was a mistake because it rained and my poster got ruined.
    Last edited by botley; 12-09-2018 at 08:53 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    NIN at the aragon in october. 5 minute walk, 5 minute bus ride, 1 minute walk. preeeetty niiiiiiiice

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Heh, I never did post in the other thread 'cause my longest was just 4 hours or so (Madison, WI -> Minneapolis, MN), which hardly even registers compared to many other folks. Madison's definitely a secondary market (even tertiary, possibly, given the proximity of Milwaukee), but NIN's been here a couple of times, once while I was living here, in late 2005 during the With Teeth touring cycle. Looks like it was still about an 11 mile drive to where we parked, from my house, since I actually live rather out of the way up on the north side, and there's all these lakes very inconsiderately placed all over the place which require driving around. Still, was awesome not having to go to Chicago for once!

I suppose I could technically claim that my travel to the second Chicago Wave Goodbye show at the Aragon was just a ten minute walk, since I was staying with a conveniently-located friend for those few days, but that's only if you ignore the previous days' driving.
    Last edited by xolotl; 12-09-2018 at 04:41 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    The Southbank (London) show this year was 7 minutes away. Most of the London venues they've played have been around 3 miles away.
    Last edited by icklekitty; 12-10-2018 at 04:14 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    From the other thread:

Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    the shortest distance I've had for a show was in 2005 from my place in Atlanta to the Tabernacle (6.3 miles / 10.13 km).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i was just thinking about this a few days ago as i left work to go to the show at bill graham. i live a 10-minute bart ride away, but my office is in the public health dept building in civic center in sf, which is literally right across the street from the auditorium. sometimes i can hear soundcheck from my office, depending on the band. i actually work at the main library on the weekends, too, which is also right across the street, but in the other direction.

farthest i've ever traveled for nin is to seattle from san francisco, which doesn't feel that far.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I've been incredibly spoiled in this regard, as I'm currently a 0.9 mile walk from Radio City, and in 2009 I lived just 0.7 miles from Terminal 5.

I've got vivid memories of getting to/and from all four of those shows on foot. Best was being "dropped off" for the first Radio City show by my (very understanding) husband and 3-year-old. Worst was returning from the last T5 show, with shoes so filled with sweat that they squished audibly with each step and a painfully strained back, contemplating the possibility that this was my last NIN show ever. Soooo glad that fear wasn't realized!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Shortest was to Kemper Arena in Kansas City for With Teeth in 2006. About an hour and 40 minute drive.

Longest was to Memphis for the current tour. Around 6 hour drive for that one. I live in Columbia, MO so unless somebody hits up STL or KC, I’m doing quite a bit of driving for most concerts.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I just had to check whether the Fox Theater or former Gwinnett Arena is closer to me. Gwinnett Arena (now Infinite Energy Arena) for Lights in the Sky back in 08 was only 10 miles from me and was my first NIN show. Longest I’ve ever traveled is from Atlanta to Vegas just last week.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Made in America - less than a mile and a half walk from my house at the time. Unfortunately, NIN hasn't been back to Philadelphia since.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Made in America - less than a mile and a half walk from my house at the time. Unfortunately, NIN hasn't been back to Philadelphia since.
    Doesn’t Camden (or at least the BB&T Pavilion) count as Philly market, broadly speaking?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    2/11/2006...had to walk approximately 1 mile from my dorm at Marquette to The Eagles Ballroom. It was a sketchy walk so it felt longer than it was but I was only offered drugs three or four times.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    The Irving shows were about twenty five minutes from my place.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    El Plaza Condesa show was 30 minutes away from my home, 6.6 km (roughly 4 miles)

I wish all great concerts were this near...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Love this thread idea!

5.5 miles, twice ('94, '95), from my childhood home to the now-demolished Omaha Civic Auditorium.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roolfdriht View Post
    Doesn’t Camden (or at least the BB&T Pavilion) count as Philly market, broadly speaking?
    Camden counts as the Philly market, and unless I missed a show, I don't think NIN played Camden after Made in America.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Camden counts as the Philly market, and unless I missed a show, I don't think NIN played Camden after Made in America.
    They did in 2014. Only reason I knew offhand was lingering Assault setlist envy...

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-inch-nails/2014/susquehanna-bank-center-camden-nj-63c14e93.html

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roolfdriht View Post
    They did in 2014. Only reason I knew offhand was lingering Assault setlist envy...

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-inch-nails/2014/susquehanna-bank-center-camden-nj-63c14e93.html
    Well I'm glad I put that "unless" in my reply, I wonder why the heck I wasn't at that show. Huh!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Well I'm glad I put that "unless" in my reply, I wonder why the heck I wasn't at that show. Huh!
    After the PNC show repeated Jones Beach's setlist, I asked myself the same question!

Attempting to drag this post slightly back on topic: the apartment where I lived from 2004-2010 looked out over the roof of Roseland Ballroom, and lines for shows would occasionally pass in front of my building's entrance. I always fantasized about what it would have been like to roll out of bed and moments later be in line for the Self Destruct date they played there in May 1994. Wave Goodbye was the last realistic opportunity for a return booking, given the venue was razed in 2014 (for luxury condos, of course).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Shortest for a NIN show is ~2 miles from two different homes to the Aragon Ballroom in 2009 and 2018.

It was only a 0.3 mile walk for the HTDA show in 2013 which was nice.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    From the other thread:

the shortest distance I've had for a show was in 2005 from my place in Atlanta to the Tabernacle (6.3 miles / 10.13 km)
    But with Atlanta traffic still takes about 2 hours to go that far lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    About 0.2 of a mile, if that. Manchester UK, May 2014. I was living in the city centre at the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Last Year for the Bakersfield, CA show. A 5 min drive from my house

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    While I don't have any incredibly short distances to brag about like some of you guys, I DID only have to travel about 15 miles for both FTDS shows and Fragility 2.0

All 3 of those shows were in fair park, which is just east of downtown dallas, and I lived in southwest garland, which is (literally) across the street from East dallas.

Also, it's a straight shot. Garland Road becomes Grand road, which takes you right to fair park. So yeah, that was cool. It was like that for ALL the shows I saw before moving up here to one of the most desolate places in the country: everything from Rush, to Prodigy, to Primus, to Busta Rhymes.
    And I took it for granted :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    2.7 miles.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Montreal. It was a luxury to be able to go and come back in the same day - 1.5 hours away.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Shortest was 2.5 hour drive to NOLA from south AL for Voodoo Fest in 2013, longest was a flight from Seattle to Phoenix for the CBI kickoff this year.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Shortest- Newark, NJ probably about a 40 minute drive. Sadly the few years I conveniently lived in NY matched up with the post Wave Goodbye hiatus.
    Longest- Madrid, 6/7 hour plane ride. The terrific lineup at Mad Cool Festival last year inspired me to go to Europe for the first time.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    I was lucky enough to live in Philly in 2013, so I got to walk to the bus and take that down to a few blocks away from the venue for Made in America. Security was confused why someone would get there so early before gates opened, and then go up to the rail and stay there all day, just for the last band. They made sure I ate and stayed hydrated and told the stage guys to give me Robin's setlist that night (only thing I've ever gotten from the stage).