Thread: Boardwalk Empire

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Will Gillian get a lobotomy?
    That would be historically accurate.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Well in the last shot they showed of her she looked terrified and there was a shadow coming over her. My prediction is that Nucky will go over there to save her only to find out that she already had the lobotomy and wouldn`t even recognize him.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by decadent View Post
    Well in the last shot they showed of her she looked terrified and there was a shadow coming over her. My prediction is that Nucky will go over there to save her only to find out that she already had the lobotomy and wouldn`t even recognize him.
    You're probably right. It'd be to trite for Nucky to save her now. He has not saved one person yet. Maybe his wife will save him. Yeah, I'm going to put my money on her.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    You're probably right. It'd be to trite for Nucky to save her now. He has not saved one person yet. Maybe his wife will save him. Yeah, I'm going to put my money on her.
    My guess is that the show ends with him in jail. Or maybe that hick kid he kicks out of his hotel room kills him. It would be fitting since he looks a little like Jimmy Dormady.... Wouldnt it be interesting if that kid turned out to to be Jimmy's son? Or is he too old?

All signs point to Gillian getting a long sharp instrument into the frontal lobe but at the same time this season has been so depressing that they might want to have someone get out alive.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Color me deeply disappointed...

Ugh, really... so me and my girl's prediction from the start sadly came true in the end...
    and we really cannot believe that was the route they went on.

Sure, I can see it for the whole "Oh shit!" shock value.
    But once you really start asking questions and looking deeper into it, it really just doesn't make any sense and comes off as just a stupid, quickly thrown together, half ass attempt to bring things to a "conclusion."

Is this really the only way HBO knows how to handle their lead character at the end of a series?

Sure, this last season wasn't all that great with very, very few great moments spread thin amongst a lot of "blah, blah, blah... YOU'RE DEAD!... blah, blah, blah... OH, AND YOU'RE DEAD!... blah, blah, blah."
    But man does that ending make this whole show feel like bullshit.

Don't get me started on Chalky White's absolutely pointless dragged out appearance that was all for nothing in this season while a great character like Arnold Rothstein's death is a mere "Oh, hey did you know A.R. died while we were away?"

And I really did love this show.

I rather the show was canceled and just ended instead of getting this abomination of a season.
    Last edited by neorev; 10-27-2014 at 07:51 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I dug it. I thought it made a lot of sense given how obvious things were. Almost everything wrapped up in the way you'd expect. I didn't need any twists or surprises, I just sat back and enjoyed the well crafted final episode. It was never about what would happen but HOW they'd present it. Nucky's greed and the things he does to get ahead has been the major theme since early on, they just followed it out til the end and remained true to what the show has been. Honestly, I liked it more than the Breaking Bad final.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I thought it was an excellent finale. The reveal of Tommy wasn't handled so well but the sense of closure towards Margaret and Eli were at least comforting. Margaret proves to be a mover and a shaker while Nucky at least gives Eli money and a chance to reclaim his family.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Or maybe that hick kid he kicks out of his hotel room kills him. It would be fitting since he looks a little like Jimmy Dormady.... Wouldnt it be interesting if that kid turned out to to be Jimmy's son? Or is he too old?

All signs point to Gillian getting a long sharp instrument into the frontal lobe but at the same time this season has been so depressing that they might want to have someone get out alive.
    Spoiler: Guess you win. Now that the show is over, I can finally research all of these people on Wikipedia without it being spoilery. Interested to see how much of the series was at least semi-based on real history.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    You'll see that the real Nucky lives his days out in surburabia.
    @mfte wins the day on picking Tommy to finish off the story. I thought it was a fitting end scene giving that Nucky gave away Gillian's innocence to successed, to have her offspring tell him it wasn't worth the money.

I agree that Chalky's ending was meh. Overall, I don't regret watching the show. You can't make everyone happy.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    So, been avoiding the thread and have waited for this show to conclude before I even bother delving into it. I've been wanting to watch it since around season 4. I recently snagged season one blu-ray for a whopping $12.50. Been excited to watch this series and have been waiting to find them to buy for a good price. Definitely going to watch it immediately when it comes in the mail.